PDA

View Full Version : ''bobtails''

Ithaca Gunner
06-19-2021, 05:58 PM
Anybody else have a Bobtail Commander? I made this one up a few years ago on a stainless frame and a LW Commander slide in .45ACP. Several things I plan on changing for one reason or another, beaver tail grip safety in favor of a standard Commander safety and standard magazines without the pad. Both seem to defeat the reason for the Bobtail.

charlie b
06-19-2021, 06:02 PM
I can agree about the mag pad to a certain point, but, the grip safety rarely prints when carrying the commander. It's the long grips that always show first.

My favorite combination is still the officer's frame and commander upper.

Scrounge
06-19-2021, 06:20 PM
I have a broken alloy frame that I've considered bobtailing. I've managed to scavenge most of the pieces here and there, but not all. I have to finish my workshop setup to make the parts I'm missing. Am a lot closer to having the workshop done than I'd have believed a few weeks ago, but it's still "I wouldn't hold your breath waiting" time. Wouldn't be a Commander, either.

Bill

Ithaca Gunner
06-19-2021, 06:27 PM
Officer then?

TheGrimReaper
06-25-2021, 01:13 PM
I love a bobtail 1911.
Looks and feels good

Groo
06-25-2021, 06:26 PM
Groo here
Got a Dan Wesson C-Bob 10mm.
People keep trying to walk off with it.

Ithaca Gunner
06-26-2021, 02:48 PM
90% of why I did it is for the look. I always thought the S&W 39 an attractive gun and the bobtail look emulates that somewhat.

charlie b
06-29-2021, 08:48 PM
Any chance showing the steps in doing the bobtail.

Ithaca Gunner
07-02-2021, 01:03 AM
I may be able to get photos of another guy's build. I'll see if I can get them.

Scrounge
07-02-2021, 08:47 AM
I may be able to get photos of another guy's build. I'll see if I can get them.

I'd love to see them! Workshop is closer to done than I expected, but the back & shoulder are acting up, have been for about a week, now, and progress has halted again. I was thinking it was getting better last night until I went to bed. Hard time going to sleep. Going to increase the NSAID's I take, as I hate what narcotics do to me. Hope that works. That alloy frame keeps calling me. "Bill... get off your...." ;)

Bill

Ithaca Gunner
07-02-2021, 08:33 PM
I bought mine from 1911builders.com as an 80% build. It came with the bobtail done and the mainspring housing. I found out the hard way, (they don't tell you) they take a Colt ''Officer'' mainspring kit. I bought a stainless series 70 frame, pre-fit and polished with the mainspring housing. Stealth Arms also sells bob-tail 80% frames with the MSH pre-fit.

Bill, looks like you have an alloy frame you want to convert? Brownells has the Bobtail MSH from Ed Brown in various finishes and patterns, again, you'll need a Colt Officer spring kit. I took my Bobtail MSH out of my gun and yes, It slides right into a full frame which can then be marked and milled, a new pin hole must be located and drilled also. The sweep of my bobtail MSH ''may'' cause the cut to leave a small portion of the existing pin hole which would look better if filled with weld and finished. You might want to call Brownells for advice on which MSH to buy. You'll also need a jig to drill the new hole, 087-953-000 ($50.00 from Brownells).