PDA

View Full Version : Can I plug my lee pot in a socket outlet?

txshooter524
01-04-2009, 06:52 PM
Got the lee pro 4 20lb pot and wondering if I can plug it into a light socket outlet on my porch. Lee pot says 700w 120v and I believe that's 5.8 amps. Not 100% sure though. The light socket outlet says 125v 660w. Right off it seems the pot would be too much since it's 700w but is that only on high? Any thoughts here would be appreciated. I don't have a regular outlet on the porch and wife doesn't want the door open for an extension cord :-?

Mumblypeg
01-04-2009, 06:57 PM
Don't see why not. I run my 1000w seaco from one with a 15 amp breaker with no problem.

flutedchamber
01-04-2009, 07:21 PM
I think the lite socket is more concerned with the heat given off by a sizable bulb, not the wattage drawn. You should be fine with that low draw as long as there isn't too much else on that lite circuit.

When wiring, at least in Joisey, the number of plugs on a circuit are figured at 80% of the circuit rating (usually 15 or 20 amps). So with a 15 amp circuit you would have a 12 amp usable capacity. Each outlet is figured at 1.5 amps, so on a 15 amp circuit you can put 8 outlets, on a 20 amp circuit you can put 10 outlets.

jack19512
01-04-2009, 07:25 PM
The light socket outlet says 125v 660w. Right off it seems the pot would be too much since it's 700w but is that only on high?

If I am not mistaken the pot will always draw the same amount of current, just doesn't stay on all of the time. I think the temp control is heat activated so the current stays the same it's just the length of time the pot is on. When first firing the pot on(when cold) the pot will stay on the longest amount of time. Safety wise you're cutting it pretty close, I wouldn't want to be the one to tell you you're OK without inspecting your setup.

DLCTEX
01-04-2009, 07:42 PM
I agree that the wattage rating is concerned with heat produced by the bulb. I do hold a Master Electrician's license. I personally would have no qualms about running the pot from the light socket. We are only talking about 6 amps for the pot. DALE

Charlie Sometimes
01-23-2009, 11:58 PM
Those sockets aren't really intended to be used for very large loads.

It also depend on the size of the wire feeding the fixture, and probably the age of the wiring should be taken into consideration, too. It is rated to handle the load, but you must consider the branch circuit wiring to be completely safe. 14 ga. is good for 15 amps and 12 for 20 or so. Breakers are duty rated at a certain percentage, too. It can get really complicated.

I'd say try it, if you have any "issues" stop and figure something else out- it's not worth burning your house down.

Bret4207
01-24-2009, 10:54 AM
If the line will handle SWMBO blow dryer (11-1500 watts) it'll handle the pot.

Junior1942
01-24-2009, 11:47 AM
I certainly wouldn't plug it into an extension cord.

mold maker
01-24-2009, 01:40 PM
I certainly wouldn't plug it into an extension cord.

Certainly not a lamp ext. cord, but a regular drop cord, as short as possible, and of 14 ga wire or better, would be fine. Tie the cord, so it doesn't hang on the plug, or shake, to insure good connection.
If all wiring is correct, the fuse or breaker should protect you long before there is a problem.

targetshootr
01-24-2009, 02:19 PM
I ran a new circuit for mine. If someone uses something else on that circuit it's not going to hold for long. In older houses light boxes are easy to overheat which will bake the insulation on the wires.

Dale53
01-24-2009, 04:22 PM
If you are going to be casting from that location permanently, you might want to consider running an outlet box in a convenient area. Assuming everything is in good condition (wiring, etc.) that lamp socket will handle the lead pot without issues. If is ISN'T in good shape, then "Who knows"...

I like dedicated outlets for lead pots but I'm a "bit on the cautious side". Hook up the pot and after it reaches heat, check the temperature (touch it with your hand) of the lamp socket. If the socket is too hot to comfortably touch, then you need to get a better outlet. If not, It should be all right (I AM assuming you know how to inspect things).

Dale53

Echo
01-25-2009, 01:56 AM
Gosh - I really don't remember EVER seeing a 660 watt light bulb - I'll bet that's a BRIGHT hummer...

cajun shooter
01-25-2009, 08:47 AM
If you live in a home with a breaker box and not a screw in fuse panel, GO FOR IT . The only thing that can happen on a working circuit is the breaker will disconnect the power if an unsafe amp is reached. The best way to test a circuit is what was posted by Bret 4207. If it will hold the amp on a hair blower it will work for your pot. THe hair dryer will pull more amps than any other small appliance.

jack19512
01-25-2009, 09:35 AM
THe hair dryer will pull more amps than any other small appliance.

Just for the info. My Lee pot is rated at 700 watts which would be a draw of 5.83 amps. My wife's hair dryer draws high/13 amps, low/9 amps which is high/1560 watts, low/1080 watts. The 700 watt pot running would be roughly the equivalent of seven 100 watt light bulbs.

jack19512
01-25-2009, 09:42 AM
Gosh - I really don't remember EVER seeing a 660 watt light bulb - I'll bet that's a BRIGHT hummer...

You know I was thinking the same thing but since I haven't seen it all I wasn't going to say anything. I mean, who puts 660 watts of light on their porch????? Unless it's a socket for use with the spot/flood type of lights.

RP
01-25-2009, 02:23 PM
Alot to thought here about plugging into a porch lamp because wife dont want the door open hmmmm. Tell her the door is open because you are making boolits that may save or take he life and to get into the kitchen and cook you some red meat up and bring you a beer.
Let me know how that works out for you I may try it on mine if you get good results

jcwit
01-25-2009, 02:50 PM
I think its fairly certain that the mfg. "in this case Lee" is not putting plugs on their Electric melting pots that are likely to burn houses down.

If they are they must have one he11 of a good law firm.

No_1
01-25-2009, 03:14 PM
I really would not worry about it because you are only talking about ~6 amps draw. I have seen a freezer run off one of them. Give it a try, if you think something is not right, reach inside and turn off the switch.

Robert

BTW, Think of all the people who do like the National Lampoon movie "Christmas Vacation" every year while plugged into that type of socket.

jack19512
01-25-2009, 10:15 PM
I think its fairly certain that the mfg. "in this case Lee" is not putting plugs on their Electric melting pots that are likely to burn houses down.

Uh, it could be me but unless I have missed something here the plug on the melting pot was never in question. :confused:

jcwit
02-01-2009, 01:21 AM
I doubt very much they would put an under rated plug on their melting pot. If it would fit an outdoor socket it would be OK. The OP never talked about plugging it into anything other than a socket which are rated at either 15 or 20 amp. So yup I guess you missed something.

jack19512
02-01-2009, 10:03 AM
I doubt very much they would put an under rated plug on their melting pot. If it would fit an outdoor socket it would be OK. The OP never talked about plugging it into anything other than a socket which are rated at either 15 or 20 amp. So yup I guess you missed something.

UH, again the plug on the melting pot was never in question and the socket in question is a light fixture(to my understanding)not a regular 120 volt receptacle. Do you know for sure what size wire the light fixture is wired with? Also the OP stated the rating on the light socket was 125 volt/660 watts which would be 5.28 amps. I'm only going by what the OP stated.

Some have suggested that the 660 watts refers to the amount of heat(from the bulbs)the fixture would stand before possible failure but I disagree especially since I am not there and able to determine for sure what the OP has. Since you keep referring to the plug on the pot which was never in question I think you might possibly be missing something here. Did I mention the plug on the melting pot was never in question? :lol:

jcwit
02-01-2009, 04:42 PM
WHatever.

cptkeybrd
02-17-2009, 03:17 PM
Would the dimmer help control the heat better not comming on full throttle everytime? Just a thought... hmmm

jack19512
02-17-2009, 06:13 PM
Would the dimmer help control the heat better not comming on full throttle everytime? Just a thought... hmmm

What is the dimmer rated at?

cptkeybrd
02-17-2009, 07:54 PM
1000w