PDA

View Full Version : Night casting?

emt1581
06-18-2021, 10:08 PM
On most nights, everyone else is in bed a good three hours or more before I am. I've been giving thought to setting up my Lee pot on the lower patio where there's plenty of light...and start cranking out bullets. Not sure if there are any safety concerns working at night. That's really the only thing stopping me.

Anyone cast later at night? Anything to be mindful of?

Thanks

06-18-2021, 10:10 PM
Insects will be attracted to the light.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

cwtebay
06-18-2021, 10:11 PM
Most of all of my reloading and casting endeavours take place long after most folks are in bed. I have a very well lit room and sort of lose myself for a few hours. I sure hope there aren't any negative effects?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

emt1581
06-18-2021, 10:22 PM
Most of all of my reloading and casting endeavours take place long after most folks are in bed. I have a very well lit room and sort of lose myself for a few hours. I sure hope there aren't any negative effects?

You cast in a room? Aren't you worried about the fumes?

emt1581
06-18-2021, 10:23 PM
Insects will be attracted to the light.

I thought about that. Do people still use bug zapper lights?

I remember my parents had one growing up.

Goofy
06-18-2021, 10:33 PM
Bugs might be good flux.

jim147
06-18-2021, 11:01 PM
Bugs might be good flux.

Like people they have a lot of water in them.

Dusty Bannister
06-18-2021, 11:14 PM
A screened in porch might be OK, other wise, skeeters, and other flying insects may encourage a visit from the tinsel fairy. Hopefully, the bugs never get below the surface, but I would not think the session would be very relaxing. Good luck, wear protection.

06-18-2021, 11:24 PM
Gentle fan should 1) move some fumes, & 2) move some bugs. I'd just do if you want to.

shell70634
06-18-2021, 11:25 PM
I cast at night in the summer months. The AC in my shop can't compete with 98 degree temps.

poppy42
06-18-2021, 11:27 PM
A screened in porch might be OK, other wise, skeeters, and other flying insects may encourage a visit from the tinsel ferry. Hopefully, the bugs never get below the surface, but I would not think the session would be very relaxing. Good luck, wear protection.
The only way the tensile fairy could pay a visit is if you wind up with some 2 pound insect that is capable of breaking the surface tension of the lead! Highly unlikely. The most that’ll happen is you’ll wind up with a couple of cooked bugs! Even that is highly unlikely. I’d be more worried about getting mosquito bites than anything else. Then again that’s what they make off f!

ryanmattes
06-18-2021, 11:34 PM
I usually cast at night, in my garage, with the door open and the table pulled to the door with a fan on to push fumes out. Haven't had any trouble with bugs, and we get a lot of bugs out here.

Just make sure you get a good, stable work area set up how you need it so you can work without having to look for stuff or find a place to set things, and nothing wobbles when it shouldn't.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

06-18-2021, 11:57 PM
Go look at the light splash around your outdoor lighting setup. Are there european hornets attracted to it? If the answer is no, make bullets!

Murphy
06-19-2021, 12:37 AM
Long ago, I use to cast in the middle of the night in my garage. I worked shift work for 14 years. I never had any problems with bugs. The far S.E. corner of Oklahoma is as humid & hot as it gets during the summer. I actually enjoyed it. No A/C of course, just a pedestal stand fan. But that was 35 years ago. A lot has changed since. I now live in a different house with a garage and a small shop at the back of the property. My casting and reloading shop was once a very small daycare center. Bead board walls, etc. And it has A/C to boot.

Safety wise, my biggest concern these days are the people of the night who wander our alleys looking for things to steal. Being retired, I'm sometimes up at 4:00AM sitting on my deck having coffee, listening to the birds. Our little town is 7,000 population wise, but our crime rate is one of the highest in the state. Meth users (Tweakers) are unpredictable as it gets. My property is fenced, but never under estimate a druggie. About the only way I'd cast in the middle of the night, is make my shop into what may look to some like a clandestine lab. I don't want it getting any of the tweakers attention. And I sure wouldn't do it without a gun on my hip.

Murphy

cwtebay
06-19-2021, 12:50 AM
You cast in a room? Aren't you worried about the fumes?Yes I do and no I'm not.
I have several windows open and fans behind my back blowing towards them. I've had lead levels drawn on me several times and am on the low end of the normal range.

emt1581
06-19-2021, 02:00 AM
Go look at the light splash around your outdoor lighting setup. Are there european hornets attracted to it? If the answer is no, make bullets!

There was one trying to find either a place to live or work it's way into my home earlier last month. Thing was the size of a bird! So I know they are out there. Are they nocturnal? Can they survive electrocution by a HF tennis racket/fly swatter?

bruce381
06-19-2021, 02:11 AM
chubacabra are out at night right?

06-19-2021, 02:40 AM
There was one trying to find either a place to live or work it's way into my home earlier last month. Thing was the size of a bird! So I know they are out there. Are they nocturnal? Can they survive electrocution by a HF tennis racket/fly swatter?Don't do that you'll just make mongo mad.

They have a red face, yellow and black body, loud wings (you can easily hear them from 30 feet away, the pitch of their wing beats sounds like a radio control drone), are about an inch and a half long, as thick as your finger, and always angry.

I don't know why they are so aggressive, I am learning to just accept it.

They bite and they sting. Repeatedly.

I hope your hornets are friendlier than mine [emoji3].

I cast at night with a headlamp. I think you'll be alright.

Conditor22
06-19-2021, 02:42 AM
chubacabra --- is that the south of the border tinsel fairy ??? :)

Walks
06-19-2021, 03:33 AM
When I first started casting on My own, I cast only at night. Only time I had to cast as I worked can't see to can't see, going to an Indoor Range 2-3 nights a week. Halfway out the patio door of My 3rd floor apt. Used a Leather mallet as I had to keep quiet and not wake the neighbors. No bugs at the beach either.

kevin c
06-19-2021, 05:32 AM
I cast at night on occasion. It draws moths and the attention of my neighbors, who are close by. The smell of roasting moth doesn't bother me (they don't seem to be able to get below the surface of the melt; I get sizzling, no spattering). Awakening my neighbors is an issue, so I don't do it much past dinner.

1I-Jack
06-19-2021, 07:02 AM
I'm working a maintenance outage at work...stuck on the 6pm to 6am shift six days a week. After the wife goes to bed my one night weekend is spent casting or smelting. Casting in the shop with ventilation or smelting out on the back patio. Everyone else is asleep and I'm quietly passing the night hours away. I'm pretty sure if I fired up the tablesaw or planer I'd be hearing from the neighbors (AFTER I heard from my wife). No AC in the shop so the cool nights are the best time for casting.

Hanzy4200
06-19-2021, 09:30 PM
Night casting is the best casting. In the summer months I only cast in the late evenings, or on a particularly rainy cool day. In my opinion, sweat is a far greater danger than the slight possibility of a moth. In my early years, it's a miracle I didn't blast myself, dripping sweat casting in 90F heat.

Iwsbull
06-20-2021, 09:42 AM
I cast a good bit at night with minimal light and outside the only drawback is I can’t see how my bullets are turning out until I finish up And am back inside.

Kraschenbirn
06-20-2021, 01:14 PM
You cast in a room? Aren't you worried about the fumes?

Shouldn't be a problem with proper ventilation. I do ALL my casting inside my workshop with its industrial-strength exhaust system...a gable-mounted 18" exhaust fan connected to separate hoods for my workbench and the welding table at the opposite end of the shop. Both hoods have 36" LED light bars to provide illumination for work surfaces.

Bill

45DUDE
06-20-2021, 01:41 PM
I spray myself with OFF and go to it.

Mal Paso
06-20-2021, 05:53 PM
I spray myself with OFF and go to it.

I don't know it I could work with that much space. Naw, I'd get used to it.

That new RCBS pot stays up for hours after I'm done casting so I quit before dark now.

06-20-2021, 07:12 PM
I spray myself with OFF and go to it.I like your casting space!

06-27-2021, 09:09 AM
This is my night casting setup, made some hollow point semi wad-cutters, soft lead, for 38 special, at midnight.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210627/47a7c19d9c6e711b6c872f2874e1b0e5.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210627/f363e280b6bb2a9231cd044335b1e1a0.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210627/2bad66b17baf884c1a722669566ae3b8.jpg