PDA

View Full Version : hunting load that doesn't hurt ur shoulder

444ttd
06-18-2021, 05:01 PM
i was reading https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?423057-303-British-Reeellly-light-gallery-type-loads and when i was done, i thought somebody should make a thread that makes a hunting load that doesn't hurt your shoulder.

i am a cripple, handicapped or whatever floats your boat. i had a really bad stroke about 9 years ago. my right arm/leg are around 20% good and my speech is around 15% good. i had to learn how to walk again and shoot again. before my stroke, i'd rate myself above average shooter. after my stroke, at first, i would close my eyes and yank the trigger. it took me about a year (shooting sticks are mandatory, lead sled, sandbags, PAST recoil pad...) to get to where i am now, average shooter.

i can do, recoil wise, a 30-06 with a 180gr factory load, but after that, i can't. my late friend brought over a 300 win mag and 180gr factory load that i could fire. i did and i will not comment on the things i said. but i will tell you, never again!!!!
this was coming from a guy who used to think that 460 weatherby mag was stout in recoil department. he....er rather i, thought the shooting 416 rigby was child's play. my limit on recoil is the '06 with 180gr factory loads. when i say limit, after 5 shots, then i'm done. my shoulder hurts and i don't want to get flinching again.

i could get a box of 170gr factory loads in my 30-30 and be done with it. no sir, where's the fun in that!!!!!!

i use cast boolits only for my deer/black bear hunting that doesn't hurt MY shoulder. all of these were 1 shot cast boolit kills and under the recoil of the '06 with 180gr factory loads.

30-40 krag 165gr ranch dog with 25.5gr of h4198 goes 1930fps

35/30-30 200gr rcbs fn gc with 20.0gr of 2400/.6gr +/- of dacron goes 1726fps

9.3x57 275gr wfn gc with 39.0gr of imr4895 guesstimate 1700-1800fps

44 mag 280gr wfn with 10.0gr of unique no guesstimate

44 spl 250gr fnhp with 7.5gr of unique no guesstimate

444 marlin

275gr ranch dog with 41.0gr of rel7

275gr ranch dog with 40.0gr of h4198

280gr lfn gc with 41.5gr of rel7

280gr lfn gc with 42.0gr of h4198

250gr mihek hp with 11.5gr of unique

220gr wc with 13.0gr of unique

280gr wfn gc with 25.0gr of 2400

280gr lfn gc with 38.5gr of rel 7

300gr fn gc (saeco) 24.0gr of 2400 with 1.1gr +/- tuft of dacron going 1624fps avg

45-70 405gr fnpb 36.0gr of h4198

have not killed

500 linebaugh (tc encore 23" mgm barrel) with 450gr lfn gc with 16.5gr of hs-6 goes 1235fps

have to handload

7.65x53 argie with 185gr rn gc

7x57 145gr fn gc

i have a 8x57 and 6.5 carcano and 303-06(or 318-06 japanese) to find loads for.

what is your deer load(s) that don't hurt your shoulder?

dverna
06-18-2021, 11:43 PM
Sorry to hear of your physical limitations.

In your situation, may I suggest equipping your favorite rifle with a muzzle brake? The downside is a lot more noise and I wear both plugs and muffs when shooting the .300 Win Mag.

In any case, deer and black bear are not difficult to harvest as your loads demonstrate. But I prefer to shoot a modern rifle at or very near its maximum capabilities so I use jacketed bullets for hunting. I could download the .308's to less than .30/30 levels but what would I gain???? Certainly, no better accuracy, range or terminal performance.

If/when recoil becomes a factor, I will likely go with a .260 Rem.

444ttd
06-18-2021, 11:58 PM
ewwwwwwwwww!!!!! a muzzle brake!!!!!!!! eeeewwwwwwwwww!!!!!!![smilie=l:

thats why i use cast boolits for hunting!!!!

Minerat
06-19-2021, 12:18 AM
Have you thought about one of these? I don't use one but once had a gunsmith suggest it would make 340 Weatherby mag feel like an 06. Something about the way the mercury shifting absorbs the recoil. Wish I had got the 340 instead of keeping the 300 wby. I still would not use one, I'm not recoil sensitive.....yet.

https://www.brownells.com
C & H RESEARCH - STANDARD STOCK RECOIL SUPPRESSOR

Krag 1901
06-19-2021, 01:37 AM
If you have a Krag that doesn't hurt, why would you want an 06 level gun? The Krag will kill anything on this continent! :-P

Shopdog
06-19-2021, 05:55 AM
My DD(daily driver) is a R700 SSF sporter in 7-08. It dotes on the 130g Lee and starting JB,"book" loads of Varget.

I use an old,mint condition,fully padded 10X shooting jacket when shooting off a bench. In the field the onsey twosey shots don't bother me.

That's one.... for something a little heavier..

Another stainless fluted R700,this one is the venerable 30-06. Another Lee mould,150g and some more Varget at starting JB loads. This is my limit on recoil. Both of these rigs aren't real lightweights.... not boat anchors either. They both wear old,put your sun glasses on,shiny 4-12 Redfield's which I wouldn't take $1k for either. They aren't so heavy or cumbersome (40mm objective) to be a bother but do add to me,just the right amount of extra weight.

I've been on a looong road of rehab. A widow maker heart attack and then a MAJOR getoff hitting a deer on one my sportbikes had left me in pretty bad place. NOT listening to Drs,who basically said,tough doodoo... make funeral plans(yes,that's what they told the Mrs),instead I focused on diet and rehab. And am almost where I need to be. Shooting heavy calibers is O.U.T. out.

Am heading out the door to a bow shoot though,it'll be 90* and about that much humidity,in the shade. I may not win,but they're gonna know I was there.

Stay focused,it's all about the trajectory healthwise. Short term,or long term,your choice. Good luck with your shooting.

GhostHawk
06-19-2021, 06:14 AM
.444Marlin in a single shot handi rifle. 310 gr cast with gas check. Over 13 grains of Red dot does not hurt until after round #10. With 10 grains of Red Dot under same could shoot all afternoon.

Same caliber with 200 - 220 gr cast no gas check and 6.5 grains of Red Dot could shoot every day for a week.
Essentially its a moderate .44mag round but loaded in .444marlin brass.

Same for .357mag. 200 gr gas checked bullet with 4.6 grains of Red Dot is mild as can be.

oldcanadice
06-19-2021, 12:30 PM
Strange: I thought I was just getting old regarding recoil hurting where it never did before (348 win was nothing, or 44 mag in a revolver), but since heart attacks I've become way into hurt mode even with a 44 mag 310gr hunting load in a RIFLE (with doubled recoil pad yet). Can't begin to handle a 12 guage and a 308 150gr is not fun. This discussion makes me wonder if there is more to the pain connection than just being weaker from the effects.

444ttd
06-19-2021, 12:32 PM
Have you thought about one of these? I don't use one but once had a gunsmith suggest it would make 340 Weatherby mag feel like an 06. Something about the way the mercury shifting absorbs the recoil. Wish I had got the 340 instead of keeping the 300 wby. I still would not use one, I'm not recoil sensitive.....yet.

https://www.brownells.com
C & H RESEARCH - STANDARD STOCK RECOIL SUPPRESSOR

yes, i looked at it or something quite similar. my 444 marlin (tc encore with 23" mgm barrel) and a 265gr hornady fn with a, dare i say hot, load of h4198 was on the chopping block. but i changed my direction to cast boolits that are sorta heavy and slow.

richhodg66
06-19-2021, 01:30 PM
ewwwwwwwwww!!!!! a muzzle brake!!!!!!!! eeeewwwwwwwwww!!!!!!![smilie=l:

thats why i use cast boolits for hunting!!!!

I'd never consider putting a muzzle break on a rifle, if I can't handle the recoil, time for a different rifle or to load it down.

444ttd
06-19-2021, 02:56 PM
I'd never consider putting a muzzle break on a rifle, if I can't handle the recoil, time for a different rifle or to load it down.

i load it down to fit my needs.

last year, i used a 9.3x57 with 275gr wfn gc and 39.0gr of imr4895. i think i got to 44-45gr of imr4895 when my shoulder started complaining, alot, and the accuracy was still good. but i backed her down to 39.0gr and the deer don't complain.

https://i.imgur.com/fbHYQHz.jpg

Texas by God
06-19-2021, 03:37 PM
I'd never consider putting a muzzle break on a rifle, if I can't handle the recoil, time for a different rifle or to load it down.Amen. Recoil is temporary, hearing loss is not.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

444ttd
06-19-2021, 03:44 PM
Strange: I thought I was just getting old regarding recoil hurting where it never did before (348 win was nothing, or 44 mag in a revolver), but since heart attacks I've become way into hurt mode even with a 44 mag 310gr hunting load in a RIFLE (with doubled recoil pad yet). Can't begin to handle a 12 guage and a 308 150gr is not fun. This discussion makes me wonder if there is more to the pain connection than just being weaker from the effects.

i shoot a 255gr keith-type boolit with 7.5gr of unique(44 spl) with my ruger sbh. coming out of 4 5/8" barrel its going 900-1000fps(i never tried my chrony). its a killer on deer. the only bad thing to say about it, is the range and thats me.

i have shot my 444 with 200gr hornady xtp(23-27 of them) and 16.5gr of trail boss in 1 1/4 - 1 1/2" at 50 yards. i should have took a picture, 20 some bullets, all going into 1 1/2" hole. i should have bought some 200gr xtp and hunted with that. the recoil was insignificant as well as the sound. i took my hearing protecting off and shot some more. there is or was a guy on another forum that just luvs use trail boss and 255gr keith -type boolits in his 444. he hunts deer with with it, but he kills deer is only about 50+ yards or so.

more with 444 that doesn't hurt my shoulder

250gr penta hp with unique
https://i.imgur.com/6XvBCu1.jpg

280gr wfn gc with unique
https://i.imgur.com/nhSMWob.jpg

and a 35/30-30 with 2400/dacron
https://i.imgur.com/nBFtFB6.jpg

i try to limit my range to 150 yards while hunting. yes, i have to let deer go that are over my range. my oldest son's range with cast boolits is 200 yards. it depends on yourself.

444ttd
06-19-2021, 03:45 PM
Amen. Recoil is temporary, hearing loss is not.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

+1 with that!!!!!!!

wilecoyote
06-19-2021, 04:02 PM
i was reading [url]https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?423057-303-
have to handload....i have a 8x57 ... to find loads for... load(s) that don't hurt your shoulder?
I think I could learn something from your:drinks: .444 redux !
next:
about 8x57js, Sierra Match 200 grs. can be loaded with 53 grs. of Vihtavuori N160 or even better Norma MRP: both very slow powders, fine about accuracy. I'm not a hunter, but from the bench I fully perceive and suffer any excessive and useless recoil (.444!)_ the 8x57 loads above are used in K98k's, mil. barrel & sights, and are well more accurate than me from bench at 150meters. no sharp recoil, but some kind of push softened by a homemade removable recoil pad. the loads can be lowered or stiffened a bit, but I was mainly about target accuracy_ robust load, I've no doubt that they can down now&forever any deer, but others could know better the terminal effects. well more tolerable than any .30-06 Garand, overall_
on the very light side, I've used Vihtavuori N140 reduced according to Richard Lee data, tuff-of-dacron, 175 GC lead, but as I see that too much paper/target load, in all my ignorance. for sure nothing more than a .30-30_
I understand that these powders can be difficult to find now in USA, but as xperienced reloader you well know how find something of the same burning rate and some real hunting bullets for your purpose.

charlie b
06-19-2021, 05:57 PM
If I were still hunting and wanted a deer load with light recoil, I'd be using a 6mm cartridge, probably a .243Win.

Combine that with a rifle that is 1lb or 2lb heavier and you get a LOT less recoil.

One rifle I did not like shooting was a steel butt plate M94 carbine with 170gn factory loads. It hurt when shot with just a shirt on. I was a LOT more comfortable shooting my Garand with 168gn factory loads (it has a nice cushion recoil pad instead of the steel buttplate). Yep, a bit heavy to carry but I like shooting it.

lesharris
06-19-2021, 09:28 PM
243 win or 7mm-08 Both work for me.

richhodg66
06-20-2021, 08:24 AM
Most of mine are very close range, it's just the way I do it and it's how I would do it if I was using a .264 Win Mag. I set myself up for close shots and I killed a few deer every year, most of my real learning about deer hunting came from bow hunting and using a muzzle loader with iron sights.

It doesn't take much to kill deer cleanly if you can be patient and keep your cool to place the shot well. I've done it with cast in 7x57, several .30s, a .32 Special, .351 WSL (two in a few minutes of each other, dropped where they stood), .358 Winchester and a .45-70. Recoil wasn't a problem with any of them. I really don't care to shoot full house .30-06 level loads very much anymore, no real need to anyway. I dislike recoil pads and absolutely won't entertain the thought of a muzzle break. A heavier rifle is OK, but I am getting to an age and strength level where I appreciate a lighter rifle for carrying. We're all handloaders and casters here, no need for any of us to put up with objectionable recoil, this silly "magnumitis" is for people who are dumb and don't know any better.

Goofy
06-20-2021, 09:53 AM
All ballistic problems have a solution, it's up to the wanker with the problem to figure it out. List of variables runs from here to hell and back a couple times I'd think. Broad stroke of the brush: Smaller cases, bullets, closer targets, etc. etc. etc......

https://i.imgur.com/38jLnyw.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/45NsJo9.jpg

444ttd
06-21-2021, 06:10 PM
Most of mine are very close range, it's just the way I do it and it's how I would do it if I was using a .264 Win Mag. I set myself up for close shots and I killed a few deer every year, most of my real learning about deer hunting came from bow hunting and using a muzzle loader with iron sights.

It doesn't take much to kill deer cleanly if you can be patient and keep your cool to place the shot well. I've done it with cast in 7x57, several .30s, a .32 Special, .351 WSL (two in a few minutes of each other, dropped where they stood), .358 Winchester and a .45-70. Recoil wasn't a problem with any of them. I really don't care to shoot full house .30-06 level loads very much anymore, no real need to anyway. I dislike recoil pads and absolutely won't entertain the thought of a muzzle break. A heavier rifle is OK, but I am getting to an age and strength level where I appreciate a lighter rifle for carrying. We're all handloaders and casters here, no need for any of us to put up with objectionable recoil, this silly "magnumitis" is for people who are dumb and don't know any better.

i used to use a right handed flintlock(i'm lefty) for the first time (at 15yo.) it took alot of effort not to flinch. when i was 21+/-yo, i traded it for left hand deerstalker. now i got a left hand cva hawken flintlock. i forgot what name brand it was, but i got steel sights with fiber optics. it will let me do[smilie=l: 1" to 1 1/2" at 50 yards(3 shots/shooting sticks). i'm a roundballer(.490") and pillow ticking and 70gr of 2f. i have a tc muzzleloader barrel, but its like shooting a rifle.

my heaviest rifle is a 1908 brazilian mauser with a 2-7x vortex scout scout. i never weighed it, but its gotta be over 10lbs. i still have to shoot it, but the 7x57 with 145gr fn gc isn't going cause my shoulder problems.

https://i.imgur.com/yNe6slb.jpg

other that a limbsaver (tc encore, high plains gunstocks) bought new and a Pachmayr recoil pad that i had to put on my 9.3x57(it had a homemade black piece of plastic and roundhead screws), the recoil pads stay the same as i bought them. i do have a PAST magnum recoil pad that i use in the summer, i don't use it in winter because of my clothing. a muzzle brake is a no go fer me.

i have only bought one "magnumitis", a ruger sbh in 44 mag and i haven't used the mag for years. 44 special is the way to go. about 30+/- years ago, i thought i was recoil-proof. today, someone says recoil and i'm a scared little kid in a haunted house!!!!!

Lloyd Smale
06-24-2021, 06:41 AM
cant understand why a grown man is scared of a bit of a push on the shoulder. So much so they put names on people who believe that theres no such thing as to dead or to clean of a kill. If you cant handle recoil because of some physical problem or mental problem just own it and quit trying to make people who dont share your problem into some kind of macho ape. My dad is 89 years old and still doesnt have a bit of problem shooting his o6 with full power loads. Heck my grandaughter did with she was 12. the day an 06 is to much for me my hunting days will no doubt be over and ill be in an old folks home or dead. :kidding: The people who need the real lecture arent the guys who go hunting whitetail with a 300 mag they can handle, its the guy that thinks hes somehow cool because he can get away with something underpowered. Ive killed 100s of deer and never saw one to dead from a magnum but have chased some not so dead ones shot by guys who shoot pea shooters and guys that fear recoil and flinch. But an o6 kicks to much. give me a break. 100s of thousands of our troups went to war with 06s and 308s and i never heard of a single one of them that were disabled because of it. Did here alot of uproar when they took them away and gave them 22s though.

rondog
06-24-2021, 08:15 AM
Sorry to hear of your physical limitations, and don't want to change the subject - but how do you hunt with those limitations? I have a lot of lower back issues - facing my 4th surgery - and that's caused nerve damage that severely affects my quad muscles. I can walk OK on flat level ground, but any inclines or rough terrain is out. Not to mention lifting or carrying anything heavy.

Just curious......

06-24-2021, 08:50 AM
The old Speer manual lists reduced recoil loads for most calibers and I have found them to be more than adequate for general hunting (accurate, too.). I use the mercury recoil reducers in some shoulder busters and they do help. The .30-06's little sister, .270 Win, is a fine game getter with much less recoil. Good luck.

444ttd
06-25-2021, 05:51 AM
Sorry to hear of your physical limitations, and don't want to change the subject - but how do you hunt with those limitations? I have a lot of lower back issues - facing my 4th surgery - and that's caused nerve damage that severely affects my quad muscles. I can walk OK on flat level ground, but any inclines or rough terrain is out. Not to mention lifting or carrying anything heavy.

Just curious......

the worst part for me is that can't walk deep into the woods. i can go off of my polaris utv trail and go about 35 and 60 yards to my blind. i sit there till about 1/2 hour before dark. don't ask me about the 1/2hr, i just know!!!!:bigsmyl2: my Army fanny pack (shoulder strap) can carry my knife, drag rope, butt out, and a thermos of coffee. the drag rope is for brother/sons. on my other shoulder is my rifle. and then there is a walking stick(cane don't cut it). the stand/blind consists of (weather treated) 4x4 uprights and 4"x4"x5' sills around me. and camo netting. i use a adjustable bar stool(s). the blind and the stools are brought in by my brother and sons.

my spots, back before i had the stroke, were way back in the wood and were uphill, both ways[smilie=l:. they were about 45 to 1 hour walking in. when i'm cremated, i want my ashes scattered on them.

444ttd
06-25-2021, 06:01 AM
The old Speer manual lists reduced recoil loads for most calibers and I have found them to be more than adequate for general hunting (accurate, too.). I use the mercury recoil reducers in some shoulder busters and they do help. The .30-06's little sister, .270 Win, is a fine game getter with much less recoil. Good luck.

i already have it. she has killed some deer fer me!!!!

270 win
https://i.imgur.com/gOJ9dF3.jpg?1

140gr hornady sst with 270 win(reformed '06)
https://i.imgur.com/bqRObb4.jpg

140gr sst
https://i.imgur.com/GqVfvNN.jpg

130gr nosler bt
https://i.imgur.com/iHeWUMa.jpg?1

Lloyd Smale
06-25-2021, 02:22 PM
got to love a #1!!! Ive owned 4 1bs through the years and they all shot like that.

Goofy
06-25-2021, 07:41 PM
Inclined to expand my earlier comment a bit with hope some might see a small light at the end of the tunnel. Firearms are tools, nothing more. It is up to the craftsman to employ it successfully and it matters not what tool is at hand. If one has a rifle that is a challenge to shoot accurately at 100 yards, shoot it as closer ranges. The pig picture I posted earlier illustrates what is possible with "reduced" loads. The box of ammo in the picture is CCI .22 CB Shorts, and I've whacked well over 100 hogs with that combo, nearly all shot at close range while still hunting. All it takes is a little patience, close proximity and a well calculated CNS shot. Perhaps it's a surprise that the CB Shorts penetrate better than .22 LR? Of all that I've put down with the round, only one required a second shot. Too, I have taken multiple pigs in one setting simply because they can't seem to figure out what that pesky noise is.

Enough about the pigs. While in Vietnam I witnessed and elephant killed by a single shot from a M16. And more water buffalo than I can recall. Even saw one put down with a 1911 Colt....one shot, flop.

So I dabble with cartridges many assume to be inadequate for various reasons, some of which are not my call. I don't hesitate because I don't happen to have a .460 Eargensplittenloudenboomer in hand.

I have .22's, RF and CF. .25's galore, 7mm, .30's out the whazoo and so forth. My favorite for all around hunting? An Ithaca 37 in 20 ga. I've put down more small and big game with that piece than anyone here could haul off with anything less than a semi rig. What I think is more important that FPE/Velocity is placement. If you can put it where it needs to go, at the range that presents, the cartridge is of secondary importance. If having a light recoiling rifle helps, do it.

Case(s) in point:
My .22 Short shooter:
https://i.imgur.com/ah8rkFz.jpg

The .22 LR:
https://i.imgur.com/k1VGyJ6.jpg

The .250 Savage:
https://i.imgur.com/VftcLPx.jpg

.257 Roberts:
https://i.imgur.com/i7rwsuh.jpg

The .30 Sneezer:
https://i.imgur.com/0LR49yA.jpg

.45-70 w/Lord Black
https://i.imgur.com/8kja5Q1.jpg

My truck gun is a .416 Rigby.

charlie b
06-25-2021, 09:51 PM
Which is why I like shooting cast bullets.

These were fired over 2yrs ago. Interesting that these days I use a 210gn bullet and 24.0gn IMR4198 gives the same performance. Am about to go and load up another 50 of them. Need to get up early and cast some more before the heat gets too much :)

06-25-2021, 10:18 PM
444ttd - Very nice! A #1 in .270 is only a dream for me. Maybe one day.................

Lloyd Smale
06-26-2021, 05:58 AM
I have .22's, RF and CF. .25's galore, 7mm, .30's out the whazoo and so forth. My favorite for all around hunting? An Ithaca 37 in 20 ga. I've put down more small and big game with that piece than anyone here could haul off with anything less than a semi rig. What I think is more important that FPE/Velocity is placement. If you can put it where it needs to go, at the range that presents, the cartridge is of secondary importance. If having a light recoiling rifle helps, do it. That may be the case for you but i shoot a 7 mag every bit as well as a 243 and faced with a deer at 400 yards i know which id rather have in my hand. Brings up another point. Guys will call someone macho for using an 06 or 7mag on a deer but have not problem using a 12 guage to kill a bunny rabbit. Even your light little 37 with high brass field loads in 20 guage kicks as much as an o6. A 12 guage as much as a 7 mag. Matter of fact a 12 guage with 3 inch shells puts the 7mag to shame.

What you get in discussions like these are some guys that for one reason or another cant handle recoil. Most due to the fact they talk shooting more then actually shoot. A very small percentage have actual physical problems that dont allow it. So rather then admit they cant handle it because there afraid of it or dont want to put in the time to master a big gun they try to get a bunch of guys in the same boat to bash someone who can.

Like ive said before ive never seen a deer to dead. Ive never said to myself "that deer didnt run off far enough" or "geeze again i cant practice my blood tracking skills" I can remember many times out crop damage shooting when i had a small gun like a 6mm or my 300bo or a 250 savage that i had to pass on a deer that was to far out and would have been a chip shot for a bigger gun. Yup i could have shot them and took the chance on having to track a wounded suffering animal. So yup ive been in the field and said to myself "I wish i would have brought a bigger gun" I dont recall ever saying to myself "I wish i would have brought a smaller one" I dont ever remember telling myself "i would have placed that shot better if i wasnt so scared my shoulder was going to get an oowy.

Showing pictures of small groups shot with a small gun doesnt prove a thing. Ive shot sub moa groups with my 458 #1. Ive done it with 8 mags 300 ultras, 300wbys and just yesterday with a new 7 mag and a 6.5-300 wby. I know one thing. My gun collection would be awful light and my deer shooting awful boring if a 270 was the biggest gun i could handle. dont worry though ive heard it all before. back years ago when i first started shooting linebaughs people would say your just macho and a knuckle dragger. Then the big guns like 454s and 475s, 460s and 500s started appearing in inexpensive guns and everyone jumped on the bandwagon.

Truth be a good many of the bashers are just guys who cant afford to by many guns. I remember when the 44mag came out and everyone thought it was just crazy powerful. I even read about the same thing when the 357 was introduced. Writters complain that it kicked to much to be practical!!! Funny thing is today a 44 mag is considered a mid power gun. Hardly an over powered animal that takes a master to take advantage of. I could care less if you cant handle a big gun. Use what you want but i do take offense to the guys that claim im over compensating or im a knuckle dragger or there somehow better hunters because they cant do what i do. Id bet my house ive killed more deer in my life then anyone here. At least in the top 5 if not. I probably slung more jacketed bullets down range then all but the top 5 too and would guess im up there pretty high with cast handgun bullets too. Aint my first rodeo.

GregLaROCHE
06-26-2021, 06:40 AM
You should consider a lighter projectile. They don’t kick near as much as heavier bullets. There are 30.06 loads for a 110 grain bullet. I used to have some 30.06 accelerator rounds. Not sure if you can still buy them. They had very little recoil. A lighter bullet going faster can give good results because of a higher hydraulic shock. Of course, bullet placement is always the trump card.

charlie b
06-26-2021, 09:00 AM
It is all about what you like to do.

A good friend and his brother both loved big guns. .460 Wby was an everyday shooter and they had a .700 Nitro Express they liked to shoot. Both were shorter guys, under 5 1/2ft tall and 150lb. Neither hunted, they just liked to shoot. Had their own property just for shooting out to 1500yd.

I stopped hunting years ago and just shoot on paper. I also used to like 'thumpers'. BPCR and muzzle loaders out to longer ranges. I also went through a time where I liked heavy handgun loads and all of my reloads were at max.

Now days I don't like the recoil as much. Not due to medical issues or capability. Just my preference.

Larry Gibson
06-26-2021, 10:17 AM
the worst part for me is that can't walk deep into the woods. i can go off of my polaris utv trail and go about 35 and 60 yards to my blind. i sit there till about 1/2 hour before dark. don't ask me about the 1/2hr, i just know!!!!:bigsmyl2: my Army fanny pack (shoulder strap) can carry my knife, drag rope, butt out, and a thermos of coffee. the drag rope is for brother/sons. on my other shoulder is my rifle. and then there is a walking stick(cane don't cut it). the stand/blind consists of (weather treated) 4x4 uprights and 4"x4"x5' sills around me. and camo netting. i use a adjustable bar stool(s). the blind and the stools are brought in by my brother and sons.

my spots, back before i had the stroke, were way back in the wood and were uphill, both ways[smilie=l:. they were about 45 to 1 hour walking in. when i'm cremated, i want my ashes scattered on them.

I suggest you simply use your 30-06. Get some, or cast them, 311041s or similar and load over 4895 with a Dacron filler. Loaded to around 1850 fps they will have less recoil than the 30-30 because the velocity is less than the 30-30, your 30-06 rifle probably weighs more than your 30-30 rifle and your 30-06 rifle is probably more ergonomically able to give less felt recoil than your 30-30 rifle. Start at 28 gr of 4895 and work up until the velocity is 1800 - 1900 fps or is as much as you can take.

Good luck, good hunting and my respect to you sir...

444ttd
06-26-2021, 01:33 PM
444ttd - Very nice! A #1 in .270 is only a dream for me. Maybe one day.................

i bought it around 2006 for $300 at a gun show that i didn't know it was there. [smilie=l: me and my dad were coming home from camp(weekend trout fishing) and then we seen a "pizza box" sign that said gun show ->, so we pulled in.

i looked around until the last row of tables. there were so, so many #1's. i wanted a 7x57 in #1 sooooooo bad, but it wasn't there. they were chambered in the 223 all the way up to 45-70, but no 7 mauser. anyway, i was looking at the 280 rem(made in the early '80s?) and the wood was exquisite. when i hear, "sorry, but that already sold". "but i have a 270 thats for sale." he handed to me and to be all honest, it wasn't fer me. and then he said "i'll take $100 off and its yours." i looked at the sale tag and it said $400, he'll take $100 off so it comes to $300........."sold" i say. i reach into my wallet and i find $200. i give the man $200 and i said "i'll be back with the money." so i go to dad and ask him if has $100 could i borrow it. he gives me $150 and i ran back to the seller. i gave him $100 and he gave me paperwerk. when that was done, he called up atf and when that was done, he handed me the 270 win in a gun sock. i later learned that the #1 was made in 1973.

444ttd
06-26-2021, 02:34 PM
I suggest you simply use your 30-06. Get some, or cast them, 311041s or similar and load over 4895 with a Dacron filler. Loaded to around 1850 fps they will have less recoil than the 30-30 because the velocity is less than the 30-30, your 30-06 rifle probably weighs more than your 30-30 rifle and your 30-06 rifle is probably more ergonomically able to give less felt recoil than your 30-30 rifle. Start at 28 gr of 4895 and work up until the velocity is 1800 - 1900 fps or is as much as you can take.

Good luck, good hunting and my respect to you sir...

i've had an '06 (rem mountain rifle and 700 a, b and cdl) years ago. just recently, i bought a sporter arisaka type 99 in 30-06. i cleaned it up and it was put in my safe. there's a long line of(sporters) mauser's and krag's that "need" redone or built. i just use '06 and 180gr factory loads as recoil felt. my dad has a rem m760 in '06 with 180gr rem rn factory loads that i can use. i find that load to bearable. but i find(my late friend had one) that a 300 win mag with 180gr factory loads that i couldn't shoot more than 6 or 7 shots. my limit for shooting is the '06 with 180gr factory loads, tho i can do a 300 mag with 5 shots. :bigsmyl2:

as of right now, my husqvarna m46 in 9.3x57 with 275wfn gc and 39.0gr of imr4895 is the ticket for deer hunting in my area. 30-40 yards is the shot i take. although i can take a deer at 150 yards(my limit for cast boolits). my son's range for cast boolits is 200 yards.

although my dad and brother call them "cowboy loads", they don't complain about how i put meat on the table.

30-06 type 99
https://i.imgur.com/U3EDdTV.jpg

rondog
06-26-2021, 02:39 PM

Wow, kudos to you brother! At least you have someone to assist you! I'm totally on my own, unless I wanted to rent a place to hunt and hire someone to help me. I'd be better off hitting one with my truck.....

444ttd
06-26-2021, 03:12 PM
It is all about what you like to do.

A good friend and his brother both loved big guns. .460 Wby was an everyday shooter and they had a .700 Nitro Express they liked to shoot. Both were shorter guys, under 5 1/2ft tall and 150lb. Neither hunted, they just liked to shoot. Had their own property just for shooting out to 1500yd.

I stopped hunting years ago and just shoot on paper. I also used to like 'thumpers'. BPCR and muzzle loaders out to longer ranges. I also went through a time where I liked heavy handgun loads and all of my reloads were at max.

Now days I don't like the recoil as much. Not due to medical issues or capability. Just my preference.

back when i first started starting reloading, my late friend/gunsmith let me shoot a 460 weatherby mag and i found that recoil is stout!!!!! then there was a 416 rigby that he had. he let me reload for it and shoot it. i had about 1500-2000 rounds thru the 416 rigby (400gr hornady rn and 90.7gr of imr4350/ 2300+/-fps) and the recoil was comfortable. i wish i had the money to buy it(custom 98 mauser magnum).