PDA

View Full Version : I need a custom push-through bullet sizing die

AbitNutz
06-16-2021, 10:25 PM
So I need a custom push-through resizing die and ram like the one Lee sells. I need it in .729. Lee doesn't make one that large no matter how much you beg. I saw a YouTube guy that used a stainless steel bolt in 7/8-14 to make one but having no equipment or skill to use it if I did, that's not going to happen.

I know there are several people here that can do this. I'm hoping you're not too busy to humor me.

06-16-2021, 10:57 PM
Seems I remember "ammohead" here at castboolits did some of that work. Track him down for a conversation.

AbitNutz
06-16-2021, 11:15 PM
I PM'd him but no response as of yet. I'm still hoping. It's only been a short time ago since bugged him.

guy_with_boolits
06-17-2021, 01:02 AM
So I need a custom push-through resizing die and ram like the one Lee sells. I need it in .729. Lee doesn't make one that large no matter how much you beg. I saw a YouTube guy that used a stainless steel bolt in 7/8-14 to make one but having no equipment or skill to use it if I did, that's not going to happen.

I know there are several people here that can do this. I'm hoping you're not too busy to humor me.

FWIW I expanded my lee .451 up to .4535 just using some 500 grit and a drill press..worked great and drops consistent sized boolits as confirmed with digital mic

I would imagnie you could buy the biggest size lee has like 0.510", then with methodical use of dremel/drill press/sandpaper gradually work it up to the size you need, tapered mouth and all

AbitNutz
06-17-2021, 01:28 AM
Brother, I have nowhere near that much methodical in me to remove 1/4 inch and it still be round, let alone consistently round. I'm pretty sure it requires a lathe and someone who knows how to use it and that ain't me. I wish it was but I'm pretty sure I would end up with hours and hours of labor in it and all I would have to show for it was a pile of metal dust and something that used to be a die.

Bashby
06-17-2021, 08:19 AM
Local machine shop??

Jhopson
06-17-2021, 08:55 AM
Contact Lathesmith on here and he can probably do the work. He has made several sizing does for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AbitNutz
06-17-2021, 09:51 AM
Man, why didn't I think of him? I actually had a couple of Star dies made by him a few years ago. I don't know if he'll humor me and take on a die this large but it's worth a shot...thanks.

jsizemore
06-17-2021, 01:51 PM
I randomly checked some of the die lock nuts I have laying around. Inside diameter .807. Subtract your .729 you have .078. Divide that by 2 results in .039 which would be your die wall thickness where it gets sized if you decide to use your 7/8 x 14 reloading press. Is that enough wall thickness material to size your slug? May have to get an arbor press and then ......

charlie b
06-17-2021, 04:16 PM
For a die that large an arbor press makes more sense. You could even use the base plate of the press for your 'die'. Get a drill a bit undersized and a good taper reamer big enough for the job. Cut the taper from both sides leaving a small amount in the middle to be your size. Polish it up.

PS forgot. A drill bit and reamer that size will cost a lot more than having a die custom made.

chumly2071
06-18-2021, 09:53 AM
To get that large, you may need one of the presses capable of 1-1/4 12 large dies, and then have a custom die and pusher made for it.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk