PDA

View Full Version : The Steel Woods - Best American Band Since Lynyrd Skynyrd?

DougGuy
06-14-2021, 09:39 PM
Few songwriters have the gift of the gab like Ronnie Van Zant had, he brought life to the stories of Florida boys growing up tough, girls that shoulda known better, and embraced much of the same life that millions of fans could relate to. He just told it like it was, but he had a style, he had street cred, and he had a dream that he shared with the band and together they relentlessly pursued those ideals, and in the process left us a legacy of Southern Rock that would not likely be equaled, re-written, or added to, until now.

The Steel Woods aren't out to outdo Skynyrd, but they sure have found a vein of gold in their no nonsense countrified southern rock, their lyrics tell the tales of shady characters, love and deceit, while the music is hard driven guitars yet very melodic, chiming, all in the same. This is modern rock that even I can listen to, over and over, you can hear the words, the guitars are well played not like some spiky haired speed freak trying to choke a cat to death. The songs are well conceived, and equally well written. This is GREAT stuff.

The Steel Woods have a unique trilogy that spans all 3 albums, it is a love story of Della Jane, and her lover Jimmy Sutherland who decides he is going to dump Della Jane and marry Anna Lee and run off. Della Jane is having no part of this and kills Jimmy down at the river, knees in the mud she prays "Lord, wash away all of my sins and his body too." This is song crafting and southern story telling like only a gifted few know how to do.

Sadly, after recording the 3rd album guitarist and founding member Jason "Rowdy" Cope died in his sleep at the age of 42. Before joining singer/songwriter/guitarist Wes Bayliss to form The Steel Woods in 2015 he played guitar in Jamey Johnson's band for 9 1/2 years. A lot of the same hard edged country that Jamey Johnson is known for permeates the songs of The Steel Woods, and they lay out some outlaw country that hits home like a double shot of bourbon whiskey warms the bones.

Paying homage to their mentors, TSW serves up a respected reading of Lynyrd Skynyrd's "I Need You" featuring the vocals of singer Ashley Monroe, a shockingly realistic version of Black Sabbath's "Changes" showcases singer Wes Bayliss' voice as he NAILS Ozzy to the tee, the band also knocks the dust off of The Allman Brothers' "Whipping Post." The second album, 2019's "Old News" closes with a Tom Petty written anthem "Southern Accents."

If you are a fan of Skynyrd, Marshall Tucker, Allmans, Georgia Satellites, Blackberry Smoke, Hank Sr. & Jr, Jamey Johnson, you would probably take a liking to The Steel Woods.

284517 284518 284519

Some comments from the reviews:

"The best "southern rock" band out, hands down. Fans of country and rock will equally really appreciate this band. It's not cliche like many bands neither is it generic. Somehow rhey manage to sound wonderfully familiar yet fresh and original at the same time. The songs become instant classics. With the passing of their founder and lead guitarist, producer and songwriter this album hits even harder. This is his final offering to the world and it doesn't disappoint. RIP Rowdy."

"Sometimes there can be a fine line between triumph and tragedy, but rarely do they walk hand in hand. In the case of the beloved and acclaimed band The Steel Woods, the two have collided head on. Just as the group completed their triumphant third album, the epic “All Of Your Stones”, tragedy struck hard. Band co-founder and leading light, 42 year old guitarist/songwriter Jason “Rowdy” Cope suddenly passed away unexpectedly. The loss has shaken the foundation of The Steel Woods and their loyal fanbase, but they are working to push forward. The band is releasing “All Of Your Stones” to honor Cope and the heart, soul, passion and vision he put into this band. The Steel Woods meant everything to him and he and his bandmates have never shined brighter than on this new album."

45workhorse
06-14-2021, 10:10 PM
Thanks, I like all the singers/groups you mentioned!

45DUDE
06-14-2021, 11:17 PM
[^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^QUOTE=45workhorse;5207983]Thanks, I like all the singers/groups you mentioned![/QUOTE]

ME 2

contender1
06-15-2021, 08:52 AM
I can agree with what you have shared.

However,, sadly,, due to the fact that they haven't had a major label promoting them, radio airplay, and a BIG hit that the masses like to where they get a lot of exposure,, they won't ever gain anywhere near the "status" they may deserve. Example; when you ask almost anybody if they know what "Sweet Home Alabama" is,, they immediately know that Skynyrd did it. Even if they do not like that type of music.

Plus,, the music industry has changed a lot over the decades. I literally grew up in it. My Dad, prior to WWII had a Dance school. He was a competitive dancer. After the war, he built a 2 story business. Dance hall/nightclub upstairs, restaurant downstairs. I was raised in a crib downstairs, on Sat nights while live bands played upstairs. Dad also became a Talent Booking Agent. And promoted musicians all over the eastern seaboard. My brother became a live DJ. All of us kids are dancers. Dad was a voting member of the CMA. Billboard magazine was read by most of us every week.

What most folks do not understand is the fact that unless a major label is willing to get behind you, and promote you,, it doesn't matter how good you are. And HOW they promote an artist is also different.
Add in the digital age, and things are tough even for the truly great artists.
I have seen many, many musicians. and occasionally, seen a truly gifted artist. And yet,, most never get "discovered" unless they get a little lucky.
I have seen a girl,, who sang an opera song that I'd heard by many,, yet her version made me WANT to hear it. And that's a rarity,, as I'm not an opera fan. Yet,, this girl,, while she did enjoy some fame,, NEVER has gotten the true recognition of her abilities that she deserves. Her range, her voice, her presentation, & all were superb. Yet,, doesn't nor I doubt ever will get the star status she deserves. Sadly,, there are MANY, MANY like her.

But the music of Steel Woods is good.

PS; That's my Dad in my avatar picture. Circa 1934

DougGuy
06-15-2021, 10:01 AM
I can agree with what you have shared.

However,, sadly,, due to the fact that they haven't had a major label promoting them, radio airplay, and a BIG hit that the masses like to where they get a lot of exposure,, they won't ever gain anywhere near the "status" they may deserve. Example; when you ask almost anybody if they know what "Sweet Home Alabama" is,, they immediately know that Skynyrd did it. Even if they do not like that type of music.

PS; That's my Dad in my avatar picture. Circa 1934

That was all very true before the internet and certainly before the pandemic. Just since 2020, a LOT has changed, a lot of people gravitated more to the internet than ever b/c they were stuck at home working from home, shopping from home, etc.

An artist with their following rooted in Blackberry Smoke, Whiskey Myers, The Steel Woods, all these modern retro southern rock/outlaw country bands will have a crossover audience, you are a fan of one of them you are a fan of the rest of them, and they will survive with NO radio airplay and without any input from a major label.

Streaming live stuff, youtube videos of a whole concert, amazon sales for digital music, yeah this ain't yesterday by any means, and we aren't in Kansas anymore Toto...