PDA

View Full Version : So I Bought This S&W 500 Mag, Used RCBS Dies, and 150 Spent Shells...

Liberty1776
06-12-2021, 03:56 PM
Picked up a lovely old S&W 500 Mag with 8-3/8 inch barrel. Older model. (I wish I could find its date of mfg based on serial number CYM5xxx. No luck, so far.)

I think the former owner passed on, because the gun, a bunch of fired 500 S&W brass ($0.60 each), a set of used carbide RCBS 500 dies ($30) and a bunch of other stuff suddenly appeared at my local gun shop.

So I bought the gun (fair price), the dies, the brass, and a 50-cal bronze cleaning brush designed for black powder guns. Still awaiting a shell plate for the press. Also ordered a Lee Factory Crimp die (I love those things -- elegant simplicity and adjustability.)

Some 325-gr and some 350-gr jacketed bullets, and some 440-gr cast gascheck bullets also on the way.

Already have a selection of Hodgdon and Winchester powders and some Large Rifle primers to load these babies up.

Deprimed the brass using my Frankfort Arsenal hand deprime tool, then wet-tumbled the brass with stainless steel media in 125-degree warm water, with a squirt of Dawn and a 9mm shell's worth of Lemi Shine, this morning. Came out as if brand new.

Brass is a mix of Hornady (probably from the factory ammo) and Starline, for reloading.

Any of you guys see an appreciable difference between Hornady and Starline brass for the 500 Mag?

I will not be reloading on my Dillon 550 press. Not worth the conversion cost. Won't be doing that much 500 reloading. So it's back to my faithful old original RCBS Rock Chucker single-stage press and careful weighing of the charges. And a firm crimp.

I don't plan on loading anywhere near max loads -- those don't look like fun at all -- and factory ammo is impossible to get and stupid expensive.

But it's simply fun to have this cannon, even unfired, if only to show friends.

Any reloading wisdom from you guys is appreciated.

What I've picked up so far:

1. Do not fire it with my hand near the cylinder/barrel gap.
2. For first-time shooters, load only a single round into the cylinder.
3. Wear serious hearing protection.
4. ?

The picture is off the internet, but looks very much like my 500, with ports on the top front.

Thanks.

wilecoyote
06-12-2021, 04:34 PM
I have the impression that 1-2-3 are quite general indications for any newbie revolver shooter & about all the revolvers.
I believe that .454, .460, .500 etc. deserve other considerations, shooting gloves first.
I would refuse to avoid shooting them indoors, or in any case between two adjacent side walls, because shooter's head concussion increases exponentially, but for sure I'm wimpy, because I don't enjoy anything more than .44mag_

Txcowboy52
06-12-2021, 05:04 PM
I have shot a 500 before and I can honestly say it was NOT a pleasurable experience! I’m with you Wiley , .44 is plenty for me !

wilecoyote
06-12-2021, 05:23 PM
I have shot a 500 before and I can honestly say it was NOT a pleasurable experience! I’m with you Wiley , .44 is plenty for me !
TX, you said it:drinks:

wddodge
06-12-2021, 05:34 PM
I had to have a 500 when they were introduced. Over the years I've found TrailBoss loads are very mild and shooting buddies ask me if I put any powder in these loads. They splinter bowling pins just fine. Unique loads seem about right. You know you just shot a magnum but it doesn't punish your hand. Bowling pins don't stand a chance. H110 loads get your attention. This is like shooting factory ammo. This load launches bowling pins back onto the berm. All these loads are with 440 cast out of wheel weights with a gas check.

Denny

Targa
06-12-2021, 06:54 PM
You are going to have a lot of fun with that beauty…..or you won’t..:mrgreen:

kayala
06-12-2021, 07:10 PM
Well, No. 4 is obvious - enjoy it. I have 7.5” PC model, which is compensated, it will let you know you’ve fired a handcannon especially with 700 grainers over H110 :D . Won’t break your wrist or anything, my 16 y.o. son
couldn’t get enough of it, cause I’ve only brought 20 rounds of those 700 grainers ( that’s 2 lbs of lead btw :) ). My “plinking” round is 350 gr. 20 lbs pot goes out empty fast when casting for this behemoth :)

Liberty1776
06-12-2021, 07:49 PM
Over the years I've found TrailBoss loads are very mild and shooting buddies ask me if I put any powder in these loads. They splinter bowling pins just fine. Unique loads seem about right. You know you just shot a magnum but it doesn't punish your hand. Bowling pins don't stand a chance. H110 loads get your attention. This is like shooting factory ammo. This load launches bowling pins back onto the berm. All these loads are with 440 cast out of wheel weights with a gas check.

Denny

Denny, Thanks. I load Trail Boss for SASS and have plenty. Trail Boss even works well in .50 BMG, I'm told. Interesting powder. Believe me, I don't want to shoot if it's painful. I don't even like shooting .45-70 factory loads in my brother-in-law's Henry. Three rounds and I'm done. That's not fun. (I build him some lighter loads that are less extreme.)

Guess I'll go to Alliant for recommended Unique loadings.

Looking at Hodgdon under the 440 Cast Gas Check, they list --

CFE BLK
H110
H4227
Lil'Gun
Longshot
Titegroup
Trail Boss

I've got all but the H4227. This should be interesting.

Liberty1776
06-12-2021, 08:00 PM
Well, No. 4 is obvious - enjoy it. [snip] My “plinking” round is 350 gr. 20 lbs pot goes out empty fast when casting for this behemoth :)

If you don't mind, what mold do you use, and do you employ a gas check? Do you powder coat the bullet?

I notice Bear Creek sells a moly-coated 50-cal 340-grain pill they say works well in 50 AE, 50 Beowulf and "as a plinker" for 50 S&W Mag. No gas check. $45/250 rounds. 18 cents per round. https://www.bearcreeksupplybullets.com/50-340

They also sell a 425-grain bullet. $56/250 rounds. 23 cents per round. Those prices bring the cost of shooting this handcannon down significantly.

Liberty1776
06-12-2021, 08:05 PM

My 629 6-inch was so lonely in the safe. I heard it ask for a big brother. How could I turn it down?

Liberty1776
06-12-2021, 08:08 PM
I believe that .454, .460, .500 etc. deserve other considerations, shooting gloves first.
I would refuse to avoid shooting them indoors, or in any case between two adjacent side walls

Good considerations. I will be shooting outdoors at our local range.

Hadn't thought of gloves. More padding the better!

kayala
06-12-2021, 09:05 PM
If you don't mind, what mold do you use, and do you employ a gas check? Do you powder coat the bullet?

I notice Bear Creek sells a moly-coated 50-cal 340-grain pill they say works well in 50 AE, 50 Beowulf and "as a plinker" for 50 S&W Mag. No gas check. $45/250 rounds. 18 cents per round. https://www.bearcreeksupplybullets.com/50-340

They also sell a 425-grain bullet. $56/250 rounds. 23 cents per round. Those prices bring the cost of shooting this handcannon down significantly.

I’ve just started casting during this pandemic, because all commercial casters working on common calibers. I’ve had stock of 350 plated Berry’s for plinking and Matt’s 700 grainers lubed and checked. I’ve bought my moods from mp-moulds, 440 gr, plain base and 700 gr (solid) or about 640 HP with GC. I do PC mine, also ordered 350 gr from NOE.

ATCDoktor
06-12-2021, 09:40 PM
I got in to shooting the shooting and handloading the 500 S&W when the round was first introduced (I haven’t shot mine in quite some time) and have two 500’s that dates from 2003/2004.

https://i.postimg.cc/sx4mHDGV/6-A3-DCAAF-0-EF9-4-E24-9664-EE44-B4-B8-BFB5.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

The 6.5” barreled one started life as an 8 3/8ths model with standard fluted cylinder and I sent it back to S&W a few years ago and had them put a late model shorter barrel and an unfluted cylinder
on it.

The 4” I sent to Robar and had them make a “pinto” out of it by blackening the frame and barrel with their Roguard process and the cylinder, comp, screws and internals in NP3 plus.

As far as handloading goes, I remember that Hornady’s 500 S&W ammunition was “primed” using large pistol primers and everyone else (including Starline) used large rifle primers.

As all my brass for the 500 S&W was collected 17-18 years ago, I can’t speak to whether current production Hornady uses LR or LP primers.

If you got “vintage” Hornady brass in the deal, you may want to check primer pockets to determine whether they are large rifle or large pistol primers.

wddodge
06-12-2021, 09:56 PM
Denny, Thanks. I load Trail Boss for SASS and have plenty. Trail Boss even works well in .50 BMG, I'm told. Interesting powder. Believe me, I don't want to shoot if it's painful. I don't even like shooting .45-70 factory loads in my brother-in-law's Henry. Three rounds and I'm done. That's not fun. (I build him some lighter loads that are less extreme.)

Guess I'll go to Alliant for recommended Unique loadings.

Looking at Hodgdon under the 440 Cast Gas Check, they list --

CFE BLK
H110
H4227
Lil'Gun
Longshot
Titegroup
Trail Boss

I've got all but the H4227. This should be interesting.

I've used the TB, H110 and the H4227. I think you'll find the 500 is really pleasant to shoot with the Unique loads. I keep 50 of each of my loadings ready to go. When somebody new wants to shoot it, I give them the TB loads first and let them work up. Most everybody like the Unique loads. There are a few that want to shoot more of the H110. One of these days I'll get a 700 gn mold to try.

Denny

Liberty1776
06-13-2021, 12:53 AM
As far as handloading goes, I remember that Hornady’s 500 S&W ammunition was “primed” using large pistol primers and everyone else (including Starline) used large rifle primers.

As all my brass for the 500 S&W was collected 17-18 years ago, I can’t speak to whether current production Hornady uses LR or LP primers.

If you got “vintage” Hornady brass in the deal, you may want to check primer pockets to determine whether they are large rifle or large pistol primers.

Now that is interesting. Starline uses Large Rifle, but original Hornady used Large Pistol.

I'll mic the Starline and Hornady that I have and compare.

This is why I love this site. Very smart and experienced people comment here.

Liberty1776
06-13-2021, 01:02 AM
I think you'll find the 500 is really pleasant to shoot with the Unique loads.

Denny

Denny,
I looked at the Alliant site under Unique and they don't list 500 S&W Mag loads. Biggest they have is .454 Casull.

If you don't mind, what bullet/Unique load combo have you found to be so nice?

Thanks.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/Powder.aspx?powderid=3

LeonardC
06-13-2021, 01:58 AM
I think you are going to enjoy your new toy.

I have a 4" 500. I load RCBS 400 cast, no GS, with Unq. for mild loads and a med. loading with bought 440WFNGC with Tightgroup powder.

I think all my brass is Star-Line. I managed to get some Black Oxide when they had it; just for looks.

I don't wear gloves when I shoot mine.

I put a "hole blocker" on the front of mine.

I use the Lee Factory Crimp die on almost all handgun loads. I wish the 500 came in Carbide, oh well.

If you need a speed loader Diamond D Leather in Wasilla, AK, has them in alum.

Liberty1776
06-13-2021, 02:18 AM
Now that is interesting. Starline uses Large Rifle, but original Hornady used Large Pistol.

I'll mic the Starline and Hornady that I have and compare.

This is why I love this site. Very smart and experienced people comment here.

The Starline brass primer pockets appear to average a few thousandths deeper than the Hornady brass pockets. But readings are inconsistent.

lar45
06-13-2021, 08:48 AM
I use Unique for my light loads and 4227 for the heavy stuff. It is a really large case and the extra bulk of the 4227 helps to fill it up.
The 700s are fun to shoot, but unless you have the John Ross model with the faster twist rate, then don't expect the bullets to stabilize.
The Lee 440 is a great bullet. I have a 4" SW and a 7.5" BFR.

wddodge
06-13-2021, 10:45 AM
Denny,
I looked at the Alliant site under Unique and they don't list 500 S&W Mag loads. Biggest they have is .454 Casull.

If you don't mind, what bullet/Unique load combo have you found to be so nice?

Thanks.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/Powder.aspx?powderid=3

440 gr gas checked cast from wheel weights/water dropped. 13.0 gr Unique Winchester large rifle standard primers

Denny

wilecoyote
06-13-2021, 12:03 PM
Good considerations. I will be shooting outdoors at our local range.
Hadn't thought of gloves. More padding the better!
I use & like half-fingered Uncle Mike shooting gloves. I've never tried P.A.S.T. gloves, hard to find here.
maybe P.A.S.T. are even more protective

LeonardC
06-14-2021, 03:50 AM
Brian Pearce did a write up on the S&W 500 for the June-July 2021, issue # 332, for Handloader Magazine.

Kind of short on cast boolit loads.

500aquasteve
07-06-2021, 09:44 AM
The Hornady cases are nice, but end up being shorter. I prefer starline due to how well the bullets seat for me. Large rifle Magnum primers are best for H110 types of powder

mozeppa
07-06-2021, 10:45 AM
mine!

RJM52
07-06-2021, 08:45 PM
You will enjoy the gun...just don't load it past the "fun"factor....

Have had a 4" since just after they were introduced...it is not unpleasant to shoot with lighter weight bullets, as in 400 grains and less...

Loads:

18.0 of Unique with a Berry's plated...1050 fps

20 grains of Unique with any 350 grain jacketed...Speer, Hornady, Sierra... 1240 fps....

Neither load is punishing in any way...

Bob

black mamba
07-07-2021, 09:06 AM
Factory 350s in that heavy, ported revolver don't feel any worse to me than 300s @ 1200 fps do out of a 6½" 629. With the powders you have and the 440 grainers, I'd start with 15 gr of Longshot and a magnum primer (pistol or rifle) and work up. You've got lots of fun ahead of you!

Liberty1776
07-07-2021, 10:18 AM
Factory 350s in that heavy, ported revolver don't feel any worse to me than 300s @ 1200 fps do out of a 6½" 629. With the powders you have and the 440 grainers, I'd start with 15 gr of Longshot and a magnum primer (pistol or rifle) and work up. You've got lots of fun ahead of you!

I've got some Longshot, and don't use it much. I'll try this load. Thanks.

boatswainsmate
07-07-2021, 06:08 PM
PM sent

gwpercle
07-07-2021, 06:35 PM
And we thought the 44 magnum was something ...
If Elmer Keith could have lived to enjoy this one ... he would have loved it !

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-08-2021, 09:48 PM
Unique:
when I was loading the 500, I worked up a load starting at 12gr (working up to 17.5gr) for a Ballisticast 385gr RF with PB. I started seeing the beginning of primer flattening with 17.0gr and I stopped there, didn't even shoot the 17.5gr loads. The 17.0gr load was a nice load that was accurate enough and wasn't punishing.

Pb&j
08-04-2021, 08:58 PM
440 gr gas checked cast from wheel weights/water dropped. 13.0 gr Unique Winchester large rifle standard primers

Denny

I have found this load to be fun to shoot, quite accurate out to 75 yards on a shooting stick with aging eyes and a red dot. I would try a stronger load but this does what I want just fine. I've since stopped water dropping them as seeing what it did to a hog last season, they're hard enough with no issue. Such a fun gun.

carelesslove
08-21-2021, 10:25 PM
carelesslove, here !

I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread on the 500. I have a 4" and an older 8 3/8" and figured out - early on - that I needed to load them down, so I could learn how to shoot both these X-Frames, without developing a case of the "terminal flinches".

I like plain-based cast bullets and decided on the RCBS 400gr. mold and sized my bullets to 0.501". My goal was to find one load for both the 4" and the 8 3/8", that would produce 1000 fps, shoot an inch at 25 yards (sandbag rest), and not lead the compensators, or the barrels.

Within reason, I have found that medium range, barely subsonic, loads in "magnum calibers" are a good place to start. Looking at my loading habits (the stuff I tend to keep "in stock"), I was hoping that loading the 500 was going to be scalable.

In .357, I "stock" a few hundred 160 gr. SAECO SWC / 6.0 gr. UNIQUE, because it develops ~1000 fps, without blast, leading, and provides superb accuracy in multiple .357s. In .41 Magnum, the same can be said for 230 gr. SAECO SWC / 7.4 gr. UNIQUE, in both 4" & 8 3/8" barrels. In .44 Magnum, I load 250 gr. SAECO SWC / 9.0 gr. UNIQUE, in 4" thru 8 3/8" barrels, for ~1000 fps. All of these meet my criteria for accuracy and power, without excessive blast & recoil.

Scaling things, like estimated pressure, case volume, and bullet weight, I figured that 14.0 gr. UNIQUE would be a good starting point. It hit the mark right out of the gate! In the 4" 500, it shot great at 1000 fps. The 8 3/8" 500 took that load up to 1150 fps, but with acceptable blast & recoil. Accuracy was excellent and there was no leading - even in the compensator. I use this as my "stocking" load and practice with it exclusively. I have heavier loads for both barrel lengths, but always start out shooting this one,

I even went this route with the 460, when it came out. Again, scaling things to duplicate the same "sweet spot" I found in other calibers, the 460 really likes a 255 gr. SWC / 11.5 gr. UNIQUE and - predictably - produces 1000 fps and excellent accuracy. However, the additional weight of the 460 and the excellent compensator design makes it overly tempting to "pump it up". I frequently find myself firing a 300 gr. WFNGC, at ~1600 fps because it is so much fun. I know that if I pushed the 400 gr. 500 slug to 1750, it would be way too much for me!

Thanks for everyone's experience and insight. I was beginning to think that I was the only one loading the 500 down!

Tom "carelesslove" Love

Three44s
08-23-2021, 10:30 AM
If I owned a 500, I would look for published loads for HS6.

I would begin lighter with faster powders and after I was ready to venture beyond Unique, HS6 would be my next endeavor if it checked out as being appropriate.

Three44s