PDA

View Full Version : Snakes; Be careful out there

contender1
06-12-2021, 08:28 AM
It has been a week for snake bites locally.
Copperheads.

My youngest son's MIL got bit on the thumb yesterday, while pulling weeds around her flowers. She's ok, and is home etc.

In discussion with the Doc's at the hospital, he said it was the 3rd copperhead bite this past week.

The one that got my son's MIL,, well, I took care of it for them. It was kind enough to wait on me to get there. It was well over an hour AFTER she got bit that I got there & caught it.

Everybody be a little more careful out there.

Finster101
06-12-2021, 08:35 AM
Caught it or killed it? Copperheads, rattlers or any poisonous snake around here only get relocated to a hole if I see them.

starnbar
06-12-2021, 08:37 AM
Had a 13 inch coral snake come up on the front porch during a pouring rain last week my red wing boot made it eat some concrete.

sparky45
06-12-2021, 08:39 AM
Only good snake is a King Snake IMO.

yovinny
06-12-2021, 08:42 AM
Watched a pair of black snakes in the yard mating yesterday,, vigorously !! ..lol ;)
Around here,, if it's got fangs, it dies..Everything else can peacefully go it's own way..

Gator 45/70
06-12-2021, 09:01 AM
Growing up and being knotheads we went out snake hunting, Something I don't see or hear our youth doing today.

waksupi
06-12-2021, 10:05 AM
Back nearly fifty years ago, myself and some friends used to hunt rattlesnakes. At that time, you could milk them in the field, and then sell the venom to the hospital for very good money per gram. Then the rules changed, and the snakes had to be milked in a sterile environment. We weren't going to haul snakes out of where we hunted them, so we quit doing it.

atr
06-12-2021, 10:14 AM
lots of diamond-back rattlers around where I grew up...foothills between Sacramento and Placerville. used to hunt them and then Dad would cook them. There were always lots around where I would go fishing on the American River, and they were always to be found under the wild blackberry bushes. Not my favorite critter.

bakerjw
06-12-2021, 11:03 AM
I'm with Finster. Poisonous ones get a trip out to the woods. the others, I catch and take pics.

Minerat
06-12-2021, 11:26 AM
My Grandmother was very good with a hoe. She'd decapitate one in a heartbeat and bury the heads. The farm dog got the rest. We only have rattlesnakes here, I find a 20ga shotgun does a pretty good job too, just poke them till they bite the barrel and touching it off sends them on their way.

ryanmattes
06-12-2021, 11:32 AM
I've seen both copperheads and cottonmouths in my yard this year. Below is a baby cottonmouth I found right next to my truck. It looks a bit like a copperhead at first glance, but the green tail says it's a baby, and a closer look at the pattern says it's not a copperhead.

The other pic is a young speckled king I found last year. I put her in my garden.

My policy is, I leave the snakes in the woods and pasture alone. When I see them, we go our separate ways. Snakes in the yard are a different story.

If it's not venomous, I relocate them back out to the pasture, or near my garden. If it's venomous I do the same thing, only I relieve them of their heads first.

I want to encourage the kings to live here, because they eat venomous snakes and rodents. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210612/18d2e4f913c03c060d3bcce5becea0c2.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210612/262a990a5930f01fa1196dfaba23a400.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

.429&H110
06-12-2021, 12:02 PM
Copperheads!
I could find little copperheads in NH in June in what was left of the woodpile.
I guess there's always a snake in the woodpile.
Here in the old folks home in the Sonoran desert we have fat five foot gopher snakes, pretty things pointed at both ends but alas the neighbors will kill anything that's snakey. For real fun the fire department sends kids to chase snakes out of garages. I called the FD for a four foot rattler so SWMBO could get a picture of their crew with a live snake. I have killed nine coontails in the backyard in two years. The neighbors rarely see the rattlers hidden in the oleanders, the foolish gopher snakes will climb right over the walls to their doom.
My monthly bug guy has wiped out the crickets and roaches at the bottom of the food chain, the pack rats went to the next door bird feeder, and so I have found no snakes so far this year.

badguybuster
06-12-2021, 12:41 PM
Copperhead skins make good backings for selfbows.

memtb
06-12-2021, 12:47 PM
Growing up and being knotheads we went out snake hunting, Something I don't see or hear our youth doing today.

Growing up in your “neck of the woods”, when we went fishing....I was more more interested in shooting snakes with my air rifle than actually fishing!

I’m really looking forward to trying out on of my shot shells from my 460 on some of our local rattlers! memtb

contender1
06-12-2021, 03:03 PM
ryanmattes,, that is a juvie copperhead, not a cottonmouth.

ryanmattes
06-12-2021, 04:18 PM
ryanmattes,, that is a juvie copperhead, not a cottonmouth.It's not. Check out the pics below. The pattern is different.

Both have green tails as neonates, and the cottonmouth doesn't darken up until it's older.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210612/2462a51df445c734929f6cc363022cba.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210612/b318cf4556d9e4f338aa9f708db635d1.jpg

Bmi48219
06-13-2021, 12:09 AM
So what is this? I know the pics aren’t the best but I couldn’t convince it to pose. The tail sort of looked like some of the photos posted by others but it was vibrating like it wanted to rattle. It did have a triangular head.

ryanmattes
06-13-2021, 12:58 AM
Bullsnakes and gopher snakes both mimic rattlers, and can have a diamond pattern like that, although I'm more familiar with the ones in Texas, which look a little different than the one in your picture.

Both will rattle their tails against leaves, as will gopher snakes, but they have a different shaped head.

All that said, a very young rattler will only have one or two buds on his tail, and may not be able to rattle like an older rattler. That pattern is iffy enough that I'm not comfortable saying whether it is or isn't a rattler just from the pics.

One telltale is that all rattlers of all species have a brown stripe that passes over their eyes, like this:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210613/66e7872a4c718349fabfcb9b32871518.jpg

If you see that, and that pattern, and it's trying to rattle but just not making a lot of noise, you might have a juvenile rattler on your hands.

Idaho45guy
06-13-2021, 07:09 AM
Nothing but garter snakes in my area. I hate snakes. Living in Arizona with rattlesnakes in my yard was awful.

Shopdog
06-13-2021, 07:10 AM
My #3 son is in Raleigh. He killed a 3' copperhead in their smallish,fenced play area. My 2 y.o. Gbaby and their dog play in there. Killed the snake at one the kids favorite hide N seek spots. It was 2 days ago and we're all pretty shaken up by it.

#4 son is finishing a month on the A.T. and has run into a BUNCH of Eastern Diamondbacks... much more this year he said.

Jsm180
06-13-2021, 07:33 AM
3 moccasins so far this year, 1911 with shotshells keeps them under control.

contender1
06-13-2021, 08:31 AM
Ryan, I believe you are correct. I kinda jumped quickly on the ID of that snake. Since we don't have the cottonmouth's here,, I don't get to see many juvies,, and had forgotten about the differences in pattern. Most of my cottonmouth handling was when I'd visit Florida, and Texas.
My mistake.

ryanmattes
06-13-2021, 10:52 AM
Ryan, I believe you are correct. I kinda jumped quickly on the ID of that snake. Since we don't have the cottonmouth's here,, I don't get to see many juvies,, and had forgotten about the differences in pattern. Most of my cottonmouth handling was when I'd visit Florida, and Texas.
My mistake.I've only seen two cottonmouths this close to the house, and they were both young so I thought they were copperheads. It was only after they were dead and I got a closer look that I realized they were cottonmouths.

Normally what I see around here are these guys. I caught these two having date night in my driveway a while back. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210613/a3a564a1a57f88a467ea8e6db47cee78.jpg

Duckiller
06-14-2021, 12:39 AM
Years ago while coming in from my blind I found a small rattler, about 12" long. Shot it twice with my 20 ga. May have missed on first shot, wasn't paying attention. Sons ask why did you shoot it twice dad? Daughter told them "he wanted to make sure it was dead". She was right, bright girl. Last thing I needed to do was run into it or an older sibling an hour before sunrise in a blind.

JimB..
06-14-2021, 01:16 AM
Neighbor shot 2 by the pool this afternoon with his fortay. They come from the wet area towards my house, his pool gets in the way. I tend to have more black snakes, and very rarely a green tree snake.

Cosmic_Charlie
06-14-2021, 10:41 AM
We have no dangerous snakes in my AO. When I travel to areas where they exist it is kind of fun to see them. Would not be happy about sharing my garage or yard with them though.

KCcactus
06-14-2021, 10:40 PM
Opened the roller door to get to my tractor yesterday morning and found a 3 foot Western diamondback. Rock bar took care of him. First time one got inside.

lksmith
06-15-2021, 10:55 AM
Around here,, if it's got fangs, it dies..Everything else can peacefully go it's own way..

Same here for the most part. Although if it startles me and looks like a moccasin it dies!
Accidently killed a few olive colored water snakes because at first glance they looked like a moccasin, and they were near where my daughter plays. Chicken snakes have startled me but I let them go since I could immediately ID them and they were pretty chill, and help keep the rodent population under control. Had a bad problem with pack rats chewing wires causing damage (a vehicle electrical system beyond repair for one)
Around here the moccasins are very aggressive and will come after you most of the time vs. retreat.

Was rather proud of myself several years ago though. Was on the phone with my neighbor while walking to my hog trap, had a moccasin come out of a mudhole towards me. Pulled the 1911 and shot and hit 6 times before I realized it. Neighbor asked what it was I told him Moccasin. He said "how many times did you hit it?" I said "how many times did I shoot?" He said "6" I said "musta hit each time cause he's in 7 pieces!"

lksmith
06-15-2021, 11:00 AM
Bullsnakes and gopher snakes both mimic rattlers, and can have a diamond pattern like that, although I'm more familiar with the ones in Texas, which look a little different than the one in your picture.

Both will rattle their tails against leaves, as will gopher snakes, but they have a different shaped head.

All that said, a very young rattler will only have one or two buds on his tail, and may not be able to rattle like an older rattler. That pattern is iffy enough that I'm not comfortable saying whether it is or isn't a rattler just from the pics.

One telltale is that all rattlers of all species have a brown stripe that passes over their eyes, like this:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210613/66e7872a4c718349fabfcb9b32871518.jpg

If you see that, and that pattern, and it's trying to rattle but just not making a lot of noise, you might have a juvenile rattler on your hands.

Judging by the Pupil/eye shape I'm not sure that's an actual rattler. The pupil is round, most venomous snakes in the US have cateye pupils

lksmith
06-15-2021, 11:03 AM
So what is this? I know the pics aren’t the best but I couldn’t convince it to pose. The tail sort of looked like some of the photos posted by others but it was vibrating like it wanted to rattle. It did have a triangular head.

Looks like a young timber rattler to me. the head shape and tail color is what makes me think that vs some imitator

Gator 45/70
06-15-2021, 11:10 AM
Same here for the most part. Although if it startles me and looks like a moccasin it dies!
Accidently killed a few olive colored water snakes because at first glance they looked like a moccasin, and they were near where my daughter plays. Chicken snakes have startled me but I let them go since I could immediately ID them and they were pretty chill, and help keep the rodent population under control. Had a bad problem with pack rats chewing wires causing damage (a vehicle electrical system beyond repair for one)
Around here the moccasins are very aggressive and will come after you most of the time vs. retreat.

Was rather proud of myself several years ago though. Was on the phone with my neighbor while walking to my hog trap, had a moccasin come out of a mudhole towards me. Pulled the 1911 and shot and hit 6 times before I realized it. Neighbor asked what it was I told him Moccasin. He said "how many times did you hit it?" I said "how many times did I shoot?" He said "6" I said "musta hit each time cause he's in 7 pieces!"

It's funny how a lot of people think a moccasin won't charge you, Plenty scoff at the ideal, I'm in the same band-camp as you.
They will charge with that white mouth open and fangs bared.

ryanmattes
06-15-2021, 11:15 AM
Looks like a young timber rattler to me. the head shape and tail color is what makes me think that vs some imitatorTimbers have stripes, not diamonds. If it's a rattler, it's a juvenile eastern diamondback.

ryanmattes
06-15-2021, 11:18 AM
It's funny how a lot of people think a moccasin won't charge you, Plenty scoff at the ideal, I'm in the same band-camp as you.
They will charge with that white mouth open and fangs bared.Yeah, they're scary aggressive.

They'll also try to eat fish still on your line. I've had them swallow a fish that was on a stringer in the water. Had to toss the whole stringer. Had 'em drop out of trees into the boat.

Nasty little suckers.

Gator 45/70
06-15-2021, 12:27 PM
Yeah, they're scary aggressive.

They'll also try to eat fish still on your line. I've had them swallow a fish that was on a stringer in the water. Had to toss the whole stringer. Had 'em drop out of trees into the boat.

Nasty little suckers.

When they drop in the boat, Do you abandon ship or blow holes in the boat ?[smilie=l:

ryanmattes
06-15-2021, 12:37 PM
When they drop in the boat, Do you abandon ship or blow holes in the boat ?[smilie=l:I whacked it with a cane pole till I broke its back and flipped it back in the water.

I like snakes, and regularly pick up the snakes I find in the pasture, but with cottonmouths, I'm not playing around.

In my opinion, you can be dangerous, or you can be an *******, but you can't be both. Cottonmouths are both, so I have a very low tolerance for them in my space. People who are both I can avoid, but cottonmouths won't take a hint.

Gator 45/70
06-15-2021, 12:44 PM
I whacked it with a cane pole till I broke its back and flipped it back in the water.

I like snakes, and regularly pick up the snakes I find in the pasture, but with cottonmouths, I'm not playing around.

In my opinion, you can be dangerous, or you can be an *******, but you can't be both. Cottonmouths are both, so I have a very low tolerance for them in my space. People who are both I can avoid, but cottonmouths won't take a hint.

Lol, I try to give every one I see a good flogging like they deserve !

lksmith
06-15-2021, 12:48 PM
When they drop in the boat, Do you abandon ship or blow holes in the boat ?[smilie=l:

Snakeshot from a handgun usually doesn't hurt an aluminum boat ;)

I do them the same way as gators that get too close to the boat or my yo-yo's, whack it with a boat paddle!
and yes, I have pulled up a boat next to a gator and whacked it with a boat paddle. Darn gator kept going for my yo-yo's whenever they went off and getting my fish. A few whacks with the paddle and he started going the other way when the yo-yo's went off

lksmith
06-15-2021, 12:51 PM
Yeah, they're scary aggressive.

Nasty little suckers.

suppressed 22 pistol comes in handy when fishing. Lost my fish, but the snake will never get over it. I usually keep it or my 410 pistol in the boat with me. If I see em on a log or tree I shoot them. the 22 is quiet enough that the wardens don't hear and come investigate ;)

jonp
06-15-2021, 04:43 PM
Lived in AZ for several years and cruised timber in AZ and Utah. Never saw a snake but I'm sure a few saw me. I won't kill one unless it's a danger much like turtles. I hate to run over a turtle even a snapper

Finster101
06-15-2021, 05:06 PM
They will charge with that white mouth open and fangs bared.

I actually had one strike at my zero turn once while mowing. I say once because that one won't do it again. They are called zero turns for a reason!

Der Gebirgsjager
06-15-2021, 05:31 PM
I am so, so glad that there aren't any here where I live. Too many close calls with diamondbacks as a youngster. I think they don't like the severe winters, but also I was told that since the soil is mostly pumice they don't like that either as it works in between their scales and irritates them. To me it's well worth the snow to not have them. Hate 'em!

DG

Texas by God
06-15-2021, 09:44 PM
I haven't seen a cottonmouth in a long time. I think the pigs have wiped them out here? We still have the odd timber rattler and last year, the first copperhead that I've ever seen on our farm tried to bite me in the dog pen.
Viva LA .410!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Rick R
06-15-2021, 10:04 PM
My Elkhound found a 4’ long black snake laying across the house steps when we came home from a walk. The dog got to meet a snake. The snake crawled off to lessen the rodent and poisonous snake population.

3006guns
06-16-2021, 01:18 AM
Diamond back rattlers in this part of the country. Easy to tell the difference between poisonous and non poisonous.......if it has fat jowls (arrow shaped head) it's poisonous.

I've always heard that they're more afraid of you than you of them. Bull. I've actually been "charged" by two rattlers at once and used a pistol to send them to meet their ancestors. In the last few years I won't shoot if I can avoid them though. I figure I'm in their back yard and they DO try to warn you.

762 shooter
06-16-2021, 06:42 AM
Just killed a 24" copperhead in the back yard. Used 2mm to kill it. Shovel blade that is.

Mr_Sheesh
06-16-2021, 09:24 AM
762 shooter - I haven't heard of that cartridge, is it rimfire or centerfire?

yovinny
06-16-2021, 09:48 AM
Snake chaps are pretty reasonable,, think I paid $40. for mine, but that was about a decade ago, so maybe a little more now.
I bought them because the explosive test range I worked at the time was next to a swamp and copperhead heaven.
I still keep them in the truck, as their also the best heavy brush protection I've ever found and save beating your hunting pants thread bare...

TyGuy
06-16-2021, 01:52 PM
Last year I came across two copperheads in a week at our place. The first ended up headless on the burn pile. The second found itself between our gravel driveway and my Goodyears. Haven’t seen one since. I enjoy all the critters we get around the house, including the non-venomous snakes. Copperheads just aren’t worth the risk. Seeing them while hiking, fishing, or hunting is a treat. Seeing them while walking barefoot to the garage? That’s more excitement than I’m looking for…

GOPHER SLAYER
06-16-2021, 03:21 PM
My next door neighbor killed a two foot Diamond Back in hiss back yard yesterday.

Catshooter
06-19-2021, 03:16 AM
The "they're more afraid of you than you are of them" is stupid. So his being afraid is a good thing? Gonna make him friendly? Just makes him more dangerous in reality.

I'll let non-venomous intruders live. Venomous of any specie DRT. Had a pygmy rattler come into my porch in Florida. Pinned him with the broom and cut off his head with my pocket knife.

Cat

abunaitoo
06-19-2021, 03:34 AM
We're not suppose to have any snakes here.
There is something they call a hawaiian snake.
It's a small harmless thing.
Never even seen one.
We do have lots snakes with arms and legs.
Not allowed to shoot them though.
To bad.
Would solve lots of problems.

Der Gebirgsjager
06-19-2021, 10:33 AM
I hope you Hawaiians are fortunate enough to always remain snake-free. I do remember just a few years ago reading about the Brown Tree Snake, venomous, that was slowly spreading across the South Pacific from a couple of islands where it is well established. Apparently they have found them in the landing gear of arriving aircraft. Another disheartening fact is the influx of invasive species here on the mainland, such as the Chinese Snakehead Fish and Burmese Pythons.

DG

BigAlofPa.
06-19-2021, 10:49 AM
Wild blue berry's are on the bushes. In about 2 weeks they should be ripe. I gave my speech to the family about snakes. I told them to shake a stick on the ground around the bushes. And after that to still keep an eye out for snakes. We won't kill them. Unless we plan on eating it. Rattler is yummy.

oldblinddog
06-20-2021, 12:20 AM
I haven't seen a cottonmouth in a long time. I think the pigs have wiped them out here? We still have the odd timber rattler and last year, the first copperhead that I've ever seen on our farm tried to bite me in the dog pen.
Viva LA .410!

Don’t know. I’ve seen a couple of male moccasins in the road already dead this spring. The first one I stopped the truck, got out and plugged him again just to be sure. I have a number of road runners around my place and they keep the snakes down too.

Omega
06-20-2021, 01:29 AM
Don't go to Montana if you don't like snakes.
https://www.wideopenspaces.com/rattlesnake-den/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=fbads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDX2TItUnsk&t=3s

Lloyd Smale
06-20-2021, 05:39 AM
I am so, so glad that there aren't any here where I live. Too many close calls with diamondbacks as a youngster. I think they don't like the severe winters, but also I was told that since the soil is mostly pumice they don't like that either as it works in between their scales and irritates them. To me it's well worth the snow to not have them. Hate 'em!

DG

yup nothing poisonous here either. I dont even like the non poisonous ones!! Live in black bear country. LOTS of them here. Never felt a need to carry a gun in the woods because of it though. If i lived in snake country id never walk in the woods without one. Cant stand the things. Id rather face 2 men in a bar fight then a rattler 10 yards away.

Der Gebirgsjager
06-20-2021, 11:40 AM
I grew up in the Sierra Nevada foothills. Heavy forest, mostly National Forest land around our property. For some reason there seemed to be more than a reasonable number of the critters, and 5 ft. lengths were common. What always got me was their variation in color which seemed to match their surroundings. If it was dry leaves they were brown; rocks, black; grass, green, but always with the white outline diamond pattern on the back. Most of them did not rattle. It's really unnerving to find one of these big, evil looking snakes coiled up within striking distance. You develop the ability to spontaneously jump six feet straight up and ten feet backward. I'll bet I've got a hundred snake stories about diamondback timber rattlers from those days. I had nightmares for years about finding myself surrounded by hundreds of them, kind of like Indiana Jones. In the dreams I always had a gun and ammo, but knew it wasn't enough ammo! Never got bit though--I'd always wake up!

This is a true tale: On our ranch we had a small reservoir that was a natural spring with a dam across it's natural stream bed. There was a big water gate (valve) in the center of the dam, and a ditch through the forest that took the accumulated water from that reservoir down hill about 1/4 mile to a second reservoir where it was used for irrigation. It was my job to walk up the path along the edge of the ditch every afternoon and open the water gate, and later to return and close it again so more water would accumulate for the next day. More than once I encountered a rattler on the path or somewhere in the vicinity of the ditch. I think the hunting for gophers, etc. was good for them because of the dampness.

Anyway, on one such trip I saw a mountain lion sitting on his haunches watching me, so the next day I took along one of my two rifles at the time, a full length Russian 1891. Another story there. I also had a No.1 Mk. III Lee Enfield, but was almost out of ammo for it, but still had the 10 free rounds of FMJ 7.62x54mm received from Golden State Arms with the Mosin-Nagant. I was about age 14 at the time, and the rifle was almost as long as I was tall.

On this particular evening it was dusk by the time I got to the top reservoir to close the water gate, and rapidly getting dark as I headed back down the trail. I was watching where I stepped as best as I could see in the gathering darkness, and suddenly observed something white moving across the path in front of me. The realization came to me that it was a big rattler, about 2 ft. away, and I was seeing the white outline diamond pattern. I did the aforementioned jump up and back, and when I hit the ground I pointed the Mosin (too dark to aim) at the snake from about 3- 4 ft. distance and fired off one of the Korean War-vintage rounds. There was just an amazing ball of orange fire and a big shock wave. I couldn't see anything for a couple of minutes, and had to wait for my night vision to return. The snake wasn't moving, so I found a long dead tree branch and poked it a few times. No movement.

I told you I was a kid, maybe not a smart one, but I've always like and respected firearms and i didn't want to get any snake juice on my rifle. Didn't want it to rust, you know. I sure wasn't going to pick the durn thing up in the dark, so I worked the branch under the snake and carried it home draped over the stick and thrust out as far away from my body as I could hold it. By the time I got home, carrying the long rifle and the long stick with the snake on the end was killing my arms and shoulders.

We had a flagstone patio in front of the house, and when he heard me come through the gate my dad came out with an electric lantern. I'd told him about the mountain lion, he'd heard the shot, and was concerned. He and I looked the snake over very carefully and could find no hole or other damage. You'd think that a hit from a 7.62mm would just about blow one in half----but there was nothing. We concluded that the snake had been killed by the concussion/muzzle blast. It was about a 5 footer.

The lesson learned was to perform my assigned reservoir duty earlier in the day and not to procrastinate until dark! I still have the Mosin rifle. It cost me $1.00 back in 1956, but is worth much more now.

DG

OldBearHair
06-20-2021, 12:09 PM
Well written story. It seemed as though I was looking over your shoulder as you took the shot and visualized seeing the fireball, all the while feeling your anxiety in the fading light. Write on!

Der Gebirgsjager
06-20-2021, 01:14 PM
Glad you enjoyed it. As stated, it is the plain, unvarnished truth. Here's the rifle....

Two more thoughts come to mind: First, although never having been in that situation, this was largely like standing in a minefield. During the time that I was totally blinded from the flash I was afraid to move my feet, as I couldn't see what had happened to the snake, or if it had changed locations and I might step on it. Next, I learned the value of having a sling on your rifle, as I could have carried the snake on the stick home much easier if I'd had two arms available unencumbered by the rifle.

DG

richhodg66
06-20-2021, 01:24 PM
Passed a big bull snake killed in the highway this morning, sure wish he was alive and healthy and on my place. I see lots of snakes in the yard, vast majority are this little species, I think the biggest I've seen was a foot long, most aren't much more than a big night crawler.

Just don't understand how so many grown men can be such cowards of something that's only flesh and blood and relatively unlikely to be a danger to you. Hard to believe so many guys on a site like this are afraid of their own shadows and that timid.

Der Gebirgsjager
06-20-2021, 02:18 PM
Yeah, I guess I'm just a wimp. Hey, Rich-- have you ever been, or seen someone who was bit by a rattler? I think everyone has their phobia(s). Mine are venomous snakes and heights. Like Lloyd said, I'd rather face off against two guys in a bar fight than be near a rattler.
\
My other great fear is heights, which obviously doesn't bother Lloyd at all, since he was a lineman.

There was a family named Leibenberg. If that's not the exact spelling I apologize to them, but it's close. Back in the '70s they had an act that involved rattlesnakes, and appeared on TV variety shows, etc. They had lots of goofy features like a big rattler that pulled a little covered wagon, etc. The patriarch of the family was a tree topper by trade, and he related as how once when high, high up in a tree God spoke to him and told him that he didn't need to be afraid of snakes. Anyway, in the middle and late '70s I was a Jr. partner in a LGS, and the Leibenbergs used to visit occasionally as they liked guns. The father Leibenberg once invited George, the shop owner, out to the driveway to see what he had in the back of his van. It was crawling with rattlers, and George ordered him off the property and warned him never to return with any of his snakes or he'd immediately start shooting. One day the oldest son came into the shop with his hand wrapped in bandages. "What happened to you?" "Well, I was feeding mice to my snakes and one of them tagged me on the hand. It was all my fault, I should have just tossed the mouse, but instead held it out to him." As he related the story he unwrapped the bandages, and the hand looked horrible-- half bright red and half black. "People are so afraid of snakes, but I'm going to show everyone that it's not so bad. I'm not treating the bite, just letting nature take it's course. I'll live-- you'll see." He was back a couple of days later and his hand had swollen to the size of a football and was all black with yellow streaks in it. Next visit it has split open kind of like the dry mud in the bottom of a seasonal pond with big cracks that were leaking fluid. Eventually, perhaps 6 months, the hand was back to normal size and looked pretty normal, but was partially paralyzed, and as far as I know he never regained full use of it. It was an 18 inch rattler.

Well, then, you have such unpleasant serpents as spitting cobras.

Sorry if I've disappointed you or earned your scorn, but I didn't reach almost age 80 by being careless. :grin: I've been cussed at, fought at, shot at, and I'm still here-- and still hate snakes.

DG

Mr_Sheesh
06-21-2021, 02:02 AM
It's kinda like dealing with heights; There is a right way and a wrong way to deal with snakes (Avoid getting bitten or envenomated) and heights (Use rappelling lines and, if a newb, a belay line, are IMO the right ways. Eyepro for spitting cobras seems wise in addition.)

Anyone sane would be reasonably cautious around anything that can kill you, or severely injure you, also :)

uscra112
06-21-2021, 04:41 AM
I don't like opossums much. They're a plague around here, but I'll say one thing for them: I don't see snakes. They're immune to snake venom, so they consider even a rattler as a tasty meal. Which pleases me no end.

Gator 45/70
06-21-2021, 10:17 AM
Little sister was bitten by a pygmy rattler playing next to Grandma's house,She runs to dad.
He grabs her up and old schools the bite with his pocket knife, Cuts it and sucks it .
Loads her up in the truck and rush's her to the E.R.
Said her foot swollen up and turned black, She lived with no adverse side affects.

usedtobeyoung
06-21-2021, 10:44 AM
I used to be afraid of snakes and heights. I started messing with ball pythons, one of the easiest snakes to handle. Before long I had albino monocle cobras and stuff. I'll say this, cobras, mambas are crazy as all get out. Any guy that can deal with them has stones. Not bragging, just saying. Rattlers, cottonmouths and copper heads are pit vipers. Imagine, heat seeking missile, if you gotta cobra in a bag, you can touch the bag. No biggie, BUT, if it's a pit viper, you never touch the bag, in the dark they can "see" you by your heat through the bag. And will likely tag you. Just like you get bit by a cobra, it's venom is neurotoxic, basically if you're bit eventually you just quit breathing. But a pit viper is primarily cytotoxic, which destroys cellular tissue. Extreme pain, and the venom kills by unbelievable damage caused. My point, I personally have much more concern dealing with any pit viper, have had many more close calls with pit vipers and been bitten only once ever, by a rattler. Never by a cobra or mamba. I even have a video where a Mojave struck at my hand and when I slowed it down frame by frame had I not been young and possessed very fast reflexes, he would have hit my palm. As it was, as quick as I was, in one frame you can see its fangs were 1/2" from my hand. They really go out of their way to avoid humans. But simply, if rodents have a place anywhere near your home they can live at, snakes also will be around. No junk, or woodpiles showed be any where near the house or where children play.

Side note, I still don't like heights but parachute training in the service pretty much cured my fear.

Electrod47
06-21-2021, 11:41 AM
In Arizona in the lower areas along the Colorado River and areas like Golden Valley outside Kingman you can encounter a cousin to the coon tail rattler called the Mohave Green. Their venom is especially toxic. Working at a power plant near the Colorado in the late 70's at Southpoint Nev. We had an equipment operator outside the plant step off his loader and immediately get hit on the ankle. He killed the snake and came on in.
Was in a hospital for a month and it was a rare thing that he survived. Due to the neurological nature of the venom he was rendered blind.
Lived locally and everybody knew the guy. Two years go by. One day he wakes up in the morning and he has some vision and a few weeks later is back driving his truck. A few months later and he's back on the loader. Greens are very aggressive and unlike most rattle snakes who will retreat when encountered at distance will charge you! I literally jumped into the bed of my truck one evening dove hunting when I saw a coiled rattler about 10 yards distant and had my Browning BSS and thought I 'd put him out of MY misery. Missed and he can straight for me!

usedtobeyoung
06-21-2021, 12:54 PM
I wasn't going to get into too much detail, but you are absolutely correct, the Mojave green is actually what almost got my palm. Canebrake/Timber rattlers, Mohave greens are actually towards more on the neurotoxic side. Westerns, eastern diamondbacks, cottonmouths, copperheads are on the cytotoxic side of the spectrum. I'm sure many on here will say who cares, venom is venom. But, cytotoxic is incredibly painful. A bite, (getting hit) is similar to being hit with a large hammer. A Cobra bite won't feel good, but is more deceptive. A friend of mine, a herpetologist in the Northeast US, was studying Timber Rattlers. He was hit by a large Timber in his lab and died before the ambulance showed. Only visible damage was 2 puncture marks, but the venom attacked his cns, central nervous system. Shut his breathing down.

.429&H110
06-21-2021, 03:54 PM
Post #61
Gerbig... wanted to know if I knew anybody that has been bit...
We walk our dogs around the vast old folks home here
one of the dog-walking old ladies has a "Staffie".
(that's what we call polite well mannered pitbulls...good dog?)
The staffie was bit last week on the cheek by one of our raccoon tails,
no harm done, but the poor doggie still has a puffy swollen face.
If an old woman was bit on the ankle, she would likely lose her foot.
Any diamondback found around here is rapidly "Relocated".
The birdfeeders feed mice, and the mice feed snakes.
Snakes feed the javelinas little javelinas feed coyotes.
It's a desert out there. A birdbath will draw in a whole zoo.

CoolHandMoss
06-21-2021, 04:07 PM
Just had a close call with this one. Some #4 duck shot made it peacefully progress to past tense on June 21st, 2021.

buckwheatpaul
06-21-2021, 04:13 PM
Yeah, I guess I'm just a wimp. Hey, Rich-- have you ever been, or seen someone who was bit by a rattler? I think everyone has their phobia(s). Mine are venomous snakes and heights. Like Lloyd said, I'd rather face off against two guys in a bar fight than be near a rattler.
\
My other great fear is heights, which obviously doesn't bother Lloyd at all, since he was a lineman.

There was a family named Leibenberg. If that's not the exact spelling I apologize to them, but it's close. Back in the '70s they had an act that involved rattlesnakes, and appeared on TV variety shows, etc. They had lots of goofy features like a big rattler that pulled a little covered wagon, etc. The patriarch of the family was a tree topper by trade, and he related as how once when high, high up in a tree God spoke to him and told him that he didn't need to be afraid of snakes. Anyway, in the middle and late '70s I was a Jr. partner in a LGS, and the Leibenbergs used to visit occasionally as they liked guns. The father Leibenberg once invited George, the shop owner, out to the driveway to see what he had in the back of his van. It was crawling with rattlers, and George ordered him off the property and warned him never to return with any of his snakes or he'd immediately start shooting. One day the oldest son came into the shop with his hand wrapped in bandages. "What happened to you?" "Well, I was feeding mice to my snakes and one of them tagged me on the hand. It was all my fault, I should have just tossed the mouse, but instead held it out to him." As he related the story he unwrapped the bandages, and the hand looked horrible-- half bright red and half black. "People are so afraid of snakes, but I'm going to show everyone that it's not so bad. I'm not treating the bite, just letting nature take it's course. I'll live-- you'll see." He was back a couple of days later and his hand had swollen to the size of a football and was all black with yellow streaks in it. Next visit it has split open kind of like the dry mud in the bottom of a seasonal pond with big cracks that were leaking fluid. Eventually, perhaps 6 months, the hand was back to normal size and looked pretty normal, but was partially paralyzed, and as far as I know he never regained full use of it. It was an 18 inch rattler.

Well, then, you have such unpleasant serpents as spitting cobras.

Sorry if I've disappointed you or earned your scorn, but I didn't reach almost age 80 by being careless. :grin: I've been cussed at, fought at, shot at, and I'm still here-- and still hate snakes.

DG

DG, I have to agree with you....down where we live we see more copperhead and water moccasins....the copperheads wont kill you, unless you are really allergic to bee and hornets strikes, but the water moccasins are a whole different story.......I dont just step over a log and I never put my hands into anything without first looking......

Der Gebirgsjager
06-21-2021, 06:41 PM
Just had a close call with this one. Some #4 duck shot made it peacefully progress to past tense on June 21st, 2021.

One of nature's camouflage jobs.

DG

CoolHandMoss
06-21-2021, 10:22 PM
One of nature's camouflage jobs.

DG

No kidding. I realized after this experience that I always check thoroughly where I am going to be plus 16" as a habit after seeing so many on my land. I mean I check this range thoroughly. This one was about 18-22" from where my feet were. I spray at least once a month to kill all vegetation in the areas that I walk, where I can't cut the grass. This is my second time treading upon a copperhead among several other closer than comfortable encounters where I live now. I am going to up my efforts to dropping snake repellant where I walk. It's not that I am concerned about dying if I get bit. But I seriously have nightmares about being bitten by a snake. I hate a 'alphabet' snake.

Blkpwdrbuff
06-21-2021, 10:53 PM
Here in Utah some idiot has declared rattlesnakes as a protected species.
Well, not in my sight, if I see one I kill it.
Blowsnakes, watersnakes and such get a free pass, but a rattler gets a one way ticket to the after life.
Blkpwdrbuff

contender1
06-22-2021, 11:10 AM
I grew up with a guy, who about 35-40 years ago got bit by a timber rattler. He wasn't anywhere close to medical services easily. The 2 guys with him loaded him in his truck, and made a serious dash to where they could call & get help. He spent a few weeks in the hospital, and to this day still has a disability in his hand, and scars. SO, yes,, I do know someone directly who has been bitten by a rattler.
And an update on my son's MIL.
She is doing better, still has swelling, the pain is reduced, but she's getting better.

Txcowboy52
06-22-2021, 11:43 AM
I killed a copperhead last night. My wife got bit on the hand about 2 years ago, three days in the hospital and her finger still gives her trouble. Prior to her getting bit we always kept traps out for them and killed everyone we seen. This is the first one Ive seen since she was bitten. After she was bitten we got some cats and feed them just enough to keep them around. So far it seems to have helped, we haven't trapped a single one since we got the cats.

CoolHandMoss
06-22-2021, 01:10 PM
Trap? I'll have to look in to that.

Gator 45/70
06-22-2021, 01:11 PM
I killed a copperhead last night. My wife got bit on the hand about 2 years ago, three days in the hospital and her finger still gives her trouble. Prior to her getting bit we always kept traps out for them and killed everyone we seen. This is the first one Ive seen since she was bitten. After she was bitten we got some cats and feed them just enough to keep them around. So far it seems to have helped, we haven't trapped a single one since we got the cats.

How do you go about trapping snakes? I've read about the chicken egg inside a minnow trap, Just curious as to your method ,Tks

Txcowboy52
06-22-2021, 09:43 PM
Yes sir, minnow trap with a fresh chicken egg inside as bait, can’t be a store bought egg. We trapped 18 copperheads our first summer and 12 the next summer, I didn’t believe it at first but I promise you it has worked for me!

lksmith
06-22-2021, 10:02 PM
Yes sir, minnow trap with a fresh chicken egg inside as bait, can’t be a store bought egg. We trapped 18 copperheads our first summer and 12 the next summer, I didn’t believe it at first but I promise you it has worked for me!

I've heard of glueboards that are made for snakes, but never heard of of this one

John Wayne
06-22-2021, 10:33 PM
I like the trap idea. My wife was bitten by a 12" copperhead on the hand while pulling weeds in the day lillies. After several hours in the hospital about 3 weeks in bed with ice on her hand and arm for 3 weeks. Painful and no sleep. Had to have physical therapy on the hand to get it to work again.
Our dog was bit on the muzzle by a 4' copper that was in the water trough. Vet gave him massive amount of benadryl. That's the ticket, vet's know MD's don't know much about snakebite.

Growing up in Oklahoma I caught many, many of the big 3. Young, dumb, you know. We kept all of them in the nature lodge at scout camp for the scouts to see.

I did have a Mohave Green try to get me as I boulder hopped a dry gulch up to a ridge top turkey hunting in the Gila Wilderness New Mexico. He never made a sound and never backed up either. He did rattle after I shot ;^) They are beautiful though.

I have had to go out in the middle of the night twice this year when our small chicken flock wakes me. Possum killed 1 chicken but it's normally a Black Rat snake 4-6' long which are easy going. I catch them and let em go across the road. I've caught them eating the eggs but that's ok.
If you don't know much about snakes look these up...corn snakes, catch and release also.

samari46
06-23-2021, 12:08 AM
What with all the rain here in Louisiana and the bayou tech which is at the end of my property have seen more snakes near my burn pile. So now cut the grass every other week. Except for where the water came over the banks. Nothing but mud and that will take weeks to dry out. So will be taking my little 410 shotgun and 3" shells. Will be taking the burn pile apart with my tractor and burning it in stages. Good thing it came with a front end loader. And the racoons show up to eat the cat food and some of the older cats for the time being have disappeared. Took one kitten that died to the trash on account mother has neglected them. Gave them food and water but survival is doubtful. Frank

rondog
06-23-2021, 01:11 AM
Snakes are the reason God gave us shotguns.....

Just sayin'.......

uscra112
06-23-2021, 01:56 AM
I've read that poor folks down South would keep their yards in bare sand, and rake it it every day so the track of a snake would show up.

Feral mother cats are ruthless about not just abandoning their young but actively driving them away. Seen it happen several times over the years.

Lloyd Smale
06-23-2021, 04:56 AM
Passed a big bull snake killed in the highway this morning, sure wish he was alive and healthy and on my place. I see lots of snakes in the yard, vast majority are this little species, I think the biggest I've seen was a foot long, most aren't much more than a big night crawler.

Just don't understand how so many grown men can be such cowards of something that's only flesh and blood and relatively unlikely to be a danger to you. Hard to believe so many guys on a site like this are afraid of their own shadows and that timid.

your welcome to come see how afraid of my shadow I am. Hard to believe someone thinks (or at least claims) there a brave bad but because they dont have the sense to fear something that can harm them. I suppose you went into combat without a lick of fear too. I know i sure didnt. Fear keeps you alive. Its why God put it into our dna. Tell you what ill stand 5 feet from a rattler when you free climb a 138k volt 150 foot transmission pole that has even enough static charge to make your hair actually stand up, belt in and hang out with one foot dug into the pole and reach out almost horizontal and change insulators. Or plug yourself between two phases of a 14000 volt 3 phase distribution line and work out with only a pair of rubber gloves protecting you knowing one mistaken movement can kill you. Its all in what you KNOW. Im sure if i was raised in an area that had lots of snakes id be used to them too. Id like to see some who claim to be so brave have watched my ma chasing black bear off the porch with a broom. Let alone be within a 100 yards of one without a 300 mag. "afraid of there own shadows" I think ive been measured MANY times in my life. But if it makes you feel tough have it.

CoolHandMoss
06-26-2021, 11:23 PM
I got a minnow trap and some mouse scent goo on the way. After I killed one last week my neighbor, couple hundred yards through a patch of woods, killed one today.

BigAlofPa.
06-27-2021, 04:59 PM
Found this little guy in the yard today. Not sure what breed. Im thinking juvenile racer.

jim147
06-27-2021, 05:46 PM
That's not the racers I remember.

ryanmattes
06-27-2021, 05:50 PM
Found this little guy in the yard today. Not sure what breed. Im thinking juvenile racer.
285283Eastern milk snake, maybe? If you have water nearby it could be a local species of Nerodia (water snakes). Milk snakes are often copperhead mimics and water snakes are often cottonmouth mimics.

BigAlofPa.
06-27-2021, 07:01 PM
Ahh yes could be a milk snake. There is no water close by. My wife has snakes for pets. And she wants to add it to her collection. Just want to be safe before she makes a bad mistake.

ryanmattes
06-27-2021, 08:47 PM
Ahh yes could be a milk snake. There is no water close by. My wife has snakes for pets. And she wants to add it to her collection. Just want to be safe before she makes a bad mistake.Definitely not venomous. If you can acclimate it to handling it'll probably make a pretty good pet.

Ryan

Finster101
06-27-2021, 09:34 PM
Snakes ain't pets. Dang sure not in this house.

ryanmattes
06-27-2021, 09:59 PM
Snakes ain't pets. Dang sure not in this house.I used to breed Australian pythons. Had as many as 50 of them at one time. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210628/806726f6a7450174859d81dbf9e196ee.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210628/bf1e1ad69545b0273f454131480670d1.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210628/a83b51564159953d820a9550bc4c6ad9.jpg

06-27-2021, 10:16 PM
I used to breed Australian pythons. Had as many as 50 of them at one time. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210628/806726f6a7450174859d81dbf9e196ee.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210628/bf1e1ad69545b0273f454131480670d1.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210628/a83b51564159953d820a9550bc4c6ad9.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3a using TapatalkGreat pictures Ryanmattes, beautiful animals. When I was a teenager, had a Colombian red tail boa, very friendly coiled around my arm.

My admiration does not carry over to any venomous creatures.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

lksmith
06-27-2021, 10:57 PM
Eastern milk snake, maybe? If you have water nearby it could be a local species of Nerodia (water snakes). Milk snakes are often copperhead mimics and water snakes are often cottonmouth mimics.

Which is the reason most non-venomous snake get killed around my place. If they look like a moccasin or copperhead, they die period. if I can clearly tell they're nether I leave them be. With a soon to be 3year old running around and playing in the yard it's better to accidently kill a harmless mimic than to let a potentially dangerous one live.
Rattlers are not a concern for me, I've seen one in this area in the 18years I've lived here.

CoolHandMoss
06-27-2021, 11:09 PM
So I got a minnow trap. As I was setting it out with a fresh egg in it I realized, I have no idea what I'm going to do to deal with this snake without risking getting bit. I don't think I can get that trap open safely. So I'm left with destroying the trap to destroy the snake or throwing it on an open fire until the threat is neutralized? Any advice?

Thundarstick
06-28-2021, 05:21 AM
So I got a minnow trap. As I was setting it out with a fresh egg in it I realized, I have no idea what I'm going to do to deal with this snake without risking getting bit. I don't think I can get that trap open safely. So I'm left with destroying the trap to destroy the snake or throwing it on an open fire until the threat is neutralized? Any advice?

Or if your hellbent on killing it drop it in a bucket of water for 30 minutes or so.

country gent
06-28-2021, 05:26 AM
It really dies look like the snakes need to be careful. A lot seem to want to do them harm

JimB..
06-28-2021, 05:51 AM
I expect that you could drown it if you’re not comfortable opening the trap. Wonder if you could put it in a large trash bag and fill it with car exhaust.

Obviously you’ll want to avoid killing a hognose, milk, rat or other nonvenomous snake.

Mr_Sheesh
06-28-2021, 05:52 AM
Or make 2 mini spears, pin it with one, behead it with the other

BigAlofPa.
06-28-2021, 09:47 AM
I think my wife has 14 snakes now. Most of them are different morphs of ball pythons. She has 4 sand boas and now this new one. He's a calm little snake. Handles well.

ryanmattes
06-28-2021, 10:09 AM
So I got a minnow trap. As I was setting it out with a fresh egg in it I realized, I have no idea what I'm going to do to deal with this snake without risking getting bit. I don't think I can get that trap open safely. So I'm left with destroying the trap to destroy the snake or throwing it on an open fire until the threat is neutralized? Any advice?Safest, cleanest, most humane way is to get a Rubbermaid tub big enough to put the whole trap in, and drop in a chunk of dry ice. Put it in a relatively still place.

Dry ice evaporates into CO2, and is heavier than air, so it displaces the air from the bucket. Anything in that bucket goes to sleep and doesn't wake up. (Including you, so keep your face away from the bucket)

That's how snake keepers used to euthanize both snakes and the rats and mice they'd breed for food.

bakerjw
06-28-2021, 11:38 AM
I don't get the snake hatred. Spiders, sure. But snakes.
Saturday morning was shaping up to be an excellent day. Early in the morning, I came across a baby red toad scrambling across the grass. A few minutes later, I came across a baby tree frog. I mean tine like thumbnail sized. Then a few minutes later, I found an Eastern Box Turtle nestled into some leaf debris. I was expecting to come across a snake or 2 as well, but alas. None.

Txcowboy52
06-28-2021, 12:29 PM
I open the trap and when they come out , shoot them with a load of .357 rat shot , works great for me !

jsizemore
06-28-2021, 06:59 PM
Talked to fella that got copperhead bit over the weekend. 26" snake and the puncture wound was straight in and out so no tearing. Hospital monitored the venom progress (bit in the ankle) and symptoms only made it as far as the knee in an 8 hour period. Hospital didn't use antivenom which has it's own complications. He went home but had trouble putting weight on his foot. 48 hours after being bit he finally saw the bone bump on the outside of his ankle. He was bit at his trash can. His wife was going to take it but he volunteered. He said they kill a copperhead every year around the house.

ryanmattes
06-28-2021, 07:09 PM
The most dangerous part of a copperhead bite is the swelling. You can get so much swelling that it cuts off circulation to fingers or toes (depending on where you're bitten), and if that goes on very long they may have to be amputated. As long as you can control the swelling and any secondary infections, and keep drinking fluids to help flush the venom, copperheads aren't really life-threatening.

Extremely painful, or so I hear, but not life-threatening.

One of my dogs got bit a few years ago, and she did fine with antihistamines and ibuprofen. We saw the vet, and he said "I can charge you $1000 to keep her here and give her fluids and antihistamines, or you can take her home and do the same."

Rattlers and cottonmouths are a different story.

.429&H110
06-28-2021, 10:22 PM
This morning an old lady next door neighbor phoned - "Huge snake!..."
These retirees might have a coronary when they see a snake.
I might have known, because I thought I heard screaming.
She could have called the fire department, but she called me.
Gopher snakes are impressive, big rattlesnake looking things,
pointy on both ends, fat with mice in the middle, this one wasn't four feet,
but might be one day if she keeps away from little old ladies.
My snake stick measured our snake at 34 inches so she's still young yet.
I haven't found a mohave yet this year, but I will.

contender1
06-28-2021, 10:36 PM
Well, ANOTHER copperhead day at work.
I went to a customer's house for a groundhog problem, and as we were walking in the well groomed & nice yard, I spotted a copperhead just before my customer was about to step on it. Grass wasn't an inch tall & she was still hard to see.
I took care of that one,, as they are having small grandbabies visiting this weekend.

As for folks being afraid of snakes. Men AND women.

Fear is a natural thing for humans. Most folks have a fear or phobia about some creatures. Snakes, spiders, bears, etc. However,, one of the things I preach in my job is for folks to get an education about the critters they fear in the areas they live or visit. KNOW what they look like. Know what they can do AND what they can NOT do.

Kinda like the folks who fear guns,, yet fail to accept an education about them. Education is the key to many, many issues. Once a person is educated, and understands guns, snakes, bears etc,, they can avoid issues of mis-identification, or can plan to avoid potential issues of confrontation. (Don't put out food, garbage etc in areas with a large population of bears.) And if you are afraid of guns,, learn that they are just a man made, mechanical object that only does what the operator makes it do. With snakes,, learn the varieties that live in your area,, both as juvies And adults.

We gun folks are usually smarter than many who prefer to ignore a good education! :D :D

ryanmattes
06-28-2021, 11:08 PM
Fear is a natural thing for humans. Most folks have a fear or phobia about some creatures.

More than that, it's both reasonable and practical to fear all snakes if you don't know about them.

The cost of falsely identifying a harmless snake as venomous is a few dead snakes.

The cost of falsely identifying a venomous snake as harmless could be you your life.

So it's far more practical to accidentally identify all snakes as venomous and kill them than it is to accidentally identify all snakes as harmless.

It's a basic survival strategy built into us all.

But once you learn a bit about them, and can tell them apart, you can make better judgements about which ones are more harmful than good, and which are more good than harmful.

bowfin
06-29-2021, 12:06 PM
With the exception of invasive pythons in Florida, I am a "live and let live" type of guy when it comes to snakes. Yes, snakes can be deadly, but so can cars and we don't smash every one of those we see because of bad past history.

DougGuy
06-29-2021, 12:34 PM
Just when you think it's safe.... Our local news this am ran a story of a Zebra Cobra that is loose in a residential neighborhood, of course anyone who spots it is asked to call 911.

This snake is quite venomous, and to add to the threat it can spit venom 9' seems like the story is going viral, all the news are carrying the story.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/venomous-spitting-zebra-cobra-raleigh-north-carolina/

Der Gebirgsjager
06-29-2021, 02:35 PM
Time to import a few mongoose!

DG

snowwolfe
07-01-2021, 09:24 AM
Must be Copperhead week. Wife just spotted one in front of house on our gravel driveway. She almost reached down to pick it up thinking it was a stick. Dog might of saved her because he was emitting a low growl. Guess he sensed danger. Anyhow you would of thought she just seen Bigfoot the way she ran into the house screaming.
Most snakes get a pass at our house. But not a poisonous version almost next to our front door.
Snake meets Governor.

BJK
07-02-2021, 02:39 PM
Luckily Maine doesn't have any poisonous snakes, or maybe we do. Our capital Augusta has a mess of 2 legged ones.

DougGuy
07-02-2021, 03:09 PM
Just when you think it's safe.... Our local news this am ran a story of a Zebra Cobra that is loose in a residential neighborhood, of course anyone who spots it is asked to call 911.

This snake is quite venomous, and to add to the threat it can spit venom 9' seems like the story is going viral, all the news are carrying the story.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/venomous-spitting-zebra-cobra-raleigh-north-carolina/

Update: The snake was caught on the same porch it was last sighted on, they used a glue trap to catch it, then they loaded it into a bucket with tongs and took it to have the glue removed and there it will stay until the popo's finish their investigation and the city figures out who is going to pay for the 72hrs of manhunt the police and fire department had to do before they finally called in a team of exotic animal specialists (who actually caught it). They removed several more species of venomous snakes from the owner's residence.

echo154
07-02-2021, 05:31 PM
Yeah more people get bit trying to play snake wrangler than by simple accidental encounters....there are also people who collect some of the nastiest ones. On 9-11 only one private flight was authorized after the airspace was closed.....guy in Florida got bit by his exotic snake, a Crate snake I believe.... 100%fatal without anti-venom! Private plane flew the meds from the San Diego zoo to Miami.....the UH snake charmer was treated and made a full recovery. I don't remember what city....but a man was found dead in a van....syringes on the seat led the Police to suspect an overdose....turns out he illegally bought a Gaboon viper from an illegal source. It has 2' fangs...bit him through the bag. he was trying to treat himself with home brew antivenin. Police got a tip and recovered a crate with several highly toxic snakes including the Gaboon.

marlin39a
07-02-2021, 05:56 PM
I live in rattlesnake country, and they creep me out. I’ve nearly stepped on them several times. They don’t always rattle. I do like tarantulas though. I just picked one up 2 nights ago. Put your hand down in front of them, and they’ll walk up on you. They’re very docile.

lksmith
07-02-2021, 06:16 PM
Our capital Augusta has a mess of 2 legged ones.

That can be said at any capital or politician gathering place!

Texas by God
07-02-2021, 07:52 PM
Texas panhandle natives might correct me, but I think this little fellow who visited me at antelope camp is a baby prairie rattler. I saw his full size relative the day before. It was 10 miles from the closest house so I left it alone.
Marlin39A- I love Tarantulas, too!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210702/be7b27bb4ad5cbd5e35ea466309fe8e6.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210702/ff42c1fca6e202c94b70db54306f830b.jpg

marlin39a
07-02-2021, 07:59 PM
Just like I had the other night. They’re called Arizona Blondes here. I rarely see them, but enjoy them when I do.

DougGuy
07-02-2021, 08:00 PM
Round eyes definitely not a baby rattler.

bayjoe
07-02-2021, 10:13 PM
Sent this little dude to the happy hunting ground this evening

echo154
07-02-2021, 11:06 PM
I try to just let them be or I use my snake tongs. Relocate to a rubbermaid and then take them out in the stick.......Australia was over run with rats or mice a few decades back.....not enough natural predators...had to air drop poison bait to finally gain the upper hand. Now if they get in the house or near a loved one or be-loved pet.....45 acp CCI Speer shot load is alway chambered up front....they actually cycle in a full size Government.....loud too but it kills squirrels at 15 feet.....just beware, lead filling are possible if you don't clean em good. When I was a Wee Lad our Boxer got into a nest of Pygmy Rattlers....she came back with one jaw locked on her. Trip to the vet and a cash bill later she recovered. But she was a swollen mess....after that she stuck to chewing on pig ears.....still on live pigs:Bright idea:

ryanmattes
07-03-2021, 03:46 AM
Texas panhandle natives might correct me, but I think this little fellow who visited me at antelope camp is a baby prairie rattler.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210702/be7b27bb4ad5cbd5e35ea466309fe8e6.jpg

That one looks like either a corn snake or a rat snake. We have several of them in Texas that mimic rattlers, so they're hard to tell apart, but the head shape and pattern say definitely a harmless colubrid, not a pit viper.

Ryan

kbstenberg
07-03-2021, 09:04 AM
I am very pleased that the most dangerous snake we have is a snow snake.
I cringe everytime i think of my kids living in Georgia & Florida.

TyGuy
07-03-2021, 11:39 AM
That one looks like either a corn snake or a rat snake. We have several of them in Texas that mimic rattlers, so they're hard to tell apart, but the head shape and pattern say definitely a harmless colubrid, not a pit viper.

Ryan

I tend to agree. I know the baby western rat snakes (“black rat snake”) we get around here have the dark stripe over the eyes and face like that one. They are great to have around. Very laid back and gobble up pests like a Hoover.

Missouri only has pit vipers as far as venomous nope-ropes. They have an extra hole between the nostril and eye. Some folks prefer not to get close enough identify for sure. I prefer the innocent until proven venomous and proceed with due caution.

gwpercle
07-03-2021, 01:49 PM
Don't tell me some of our members suffer from Ophidiophobia ?

Why we all know snakes are our friends ! While my daughter was in high school and college and living at home ... she had a very exotic pet ... kept in a cage ... most of the time ...
An Adult Ball Python , 5 feet long ... best guard animal we ever had ... unwanted vistitor , answer the door with a full grown python in your arms ... they don't stay long at all !
Remember , Snakes are our friends so be kind to them !
Gary

07-03-2021, 09:28 PM
This spiders eyes shone like diamonds when I was hiking around fishing at night, with a headlamp.
I am glad that stepping on snakes in the dark, is not a problem I have ever had.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210704/189616617673fc64be3fb39ec78b2f46.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

robertbank
07-03-2021, 09:41 PM
Jeez guys I hope this is a bi-annual thread, hopefully meaning once every two years or longer. We have ratllers south of us in the Desert country of BC, Southern Alberta and Saskatchewan. I have never seen a rattler or any other poisonous snake. Just the way I like it. We do have garter snakes here. They are a welcome addition to any garden. I was crossing one of our pistol pits when one of the beggers wiggled between my legs and was on his way. Thanks nut no thanks. Damn near had a heart attack.

Take Care
Bob

Mr_Sheesh
07-03-2021, 10:23 PM
On a search I was hiking/climbing up a ridge to get up high and glass an area over, looking for sign of lost folks. Pretty steep and in old crumbly sedimentary rocks, had to pay attention to my footing and handholds.

Came over a lip and there was a BIG garter? snake about 8 feet away, which I wasn't expecting. We sorta alarmed each other I guess, it watched me a minute then slithered off. I guess they only grow to ~54 inches but you could have convinced me that thing was larger, it was not thin either, looked well enough fed.

It wasn't a GigantoSnakeusSearcherEatemupus, but it sure got my adrenaline level up LOL

We have rattlesnakes in WA's east side, not had too many close meet & greets with them but sure seen a number.

BJK
07-03-2021, 10:31 PM
The only poisonous snake I ever saw was 60 years ago in Harriman State Park in NYS. We were at a hike in lake (Pine Meadow) and the area is littered with these covered "wells" I always though if I was a snake that's where I'd live. I had my tackle box near one and I went back to pick it up and there was this HUGE rattlesnake on it sunning itself. I left to get my brother and by the time we got back it was gone. I approached the tackle box very gingerly.

Texas by God
07-03-2021, 11:18 PM
I stopped and swept a copperhead off the driveway just a few minutes ago with my .410 broom.

a.squibload
07-04-2021, 12:32 AM
You guys think YOU're brave, look what I fished out of my window well the other night.

Little fella couldn't get out, was scratchin on the screen.

gwpercle
07-04-2021, 07:47 PM
You guys think YOU're brave, look what I fished out of my window well the other night.

Little fella couldn't get out, was scratchin on the screen.

This is the only guard animal that beats a 5 foot python ...
Was he kind enough to let you help him out the box without a sprayment !
I'm a lot more respectful of skunks than any weenie snake .
Gary

Rapier
07-06-2021, 02:52 PM
We have three families of indigo snakes on the farm, saw two today, a small one about 4’ in the grass while mowing with the tractor, they stand up in the grass so I just stop and let them go on about their snake catching business and after about a year, of not seeing a male, saw the big male, about 8-9’ long in the edge of the pines. They live under things or in gopher (land tortoise) holes.
We did have copperheads and rattlers, but now it has been quite some time since I have seen either one of those.
Last rattler I saw, did not rattle at all (10 +button), they say wild hogs cause that, if they rattle, the hogs eat them, so I dispatched it, no poisonous snakes that do not warn are allowed on the place. Got 8 grand kids and am not going to allow the bad actors to populate the farm.

lksmith
07-06-2021, 04:42 PM
Last rattler I saw, did not rattle at all (10 +button), they say wild hogs cause that, if they rattle, the hogs eat them, so I dispatched it, no poisonous snakes that do not warn are allowed on the place. Got 8 grand kids and am not going to allow the bad actors to populate the farm.

Hogs will eat snakes and will cut up a dog (or person)! My rottie got sideways with a hog last night, gave him a good cut on his side. Bothered me more than it my dog, he was running around smiling afterwards. He was a bit grouchy after he got home from the vet and I tried to put a shirt on him to keep the stitches clean

ryanmattes
07-06-2021, 05:15 PM

Rattlesnake roundups did that in west Texas. The ones that warned got caught, the quiet ones survived to have quiet baby rattlers.

Here it's mostly kings, I've only seen indigos in this area a few times in my life. But the kings eat venomous snakes around here, which is why I actively encourage them, while actively discouraging the copperheads and water moccasins.we don't really see rattlers around here either

jim147
07-06-2021, 05:52 PM
I've seen more and more speckled kings here and less and less venomous snakes. Still a lot of cottonmouth so need to watch when fishing.

Streetwalker
07-06-2021, 07:48 PM
I grew up in southwestern Wisconsin along the Mississippi river and we had a few people who hunted timber rattlers for the bounty in those days. I would ride the dirt roads on my bike and pick up fresh road kills and promptly turn them over to the local Postmaster who was authorized to pay a five dollar bounty for each snake. That was a lot of money for a teenage kid in the early 1960's. Now, I'm told they are an endangered species and must be protected. My, times have changed.

a.squibload
07-06-2021, 08:50 PM
This is the only guard animal that beats a 5 foot python ...
Was he kind enough to let you help him out the box without a sprayment !
I'm a lot more respectful of skunks than any weenie snake .
Gary

Yep he was very young & well behaved. After all I did him a favor.

Sorry for skunk post in snake thread but it seemed right at the time!

PS: I caught a "hog nose rattler" when I was a kid, sold to a pet store
for $5 as I recall, that bought a lot of BBs, etc.

sniper
07-07-2021, 12:26 PM
When I worked for my state as a claims adjuster, We insured the State Universities. Locally, they have a botanical garden which hosts concerts during the warm months. One night at a concert a woman picked up a "cute" snake, which being a little rattler, bit her. She sued the State claiming (or at least her chickenthief lawyer did) for having dangerous animals in the area. Politicians and Higher education administrators being the cowardly individuals they are, our boss was advised by our attorneys ( another cowardly species)to pay for her stupidity. :(

robertbank
07-07-2021, 12:44 PM
How venomous are the Copperheads, and Cottonmouths? Odd my 5,000 post would involve "Snakes".

Take Care

Bob

ryanmattes
07-07-2021, 03:03 PM
How venomous are the Copperheads, and Cottonmouths? Odd my 5,000 post would involve "Snakes".

Take Care

BobThere are basically two kinds of venom, and all venomous snakes have one or both kinds.

Haemotoxic venom destroys soft tissue. Skin can hold up to it, but injected into muscle or fat, it breaks it down and liquefies it. How quickly depends on how strong the venom is. It is thought that the snake uses this kind of venom on small animals as a sort of pre-digestion.

Neurotoxic venom attacks your nervous system, usually shutting down the heart and lungs. Again, won't hurt you on your skin, but get it in your eyes, or injected under the skin, and it starts attacking your CNS.

North American Venomous Snakes

Copperheads

Copperheads have a mild haemotoxin, such that it mostly causes massive swelling. The swelling is by far the most dangerous part. Bites on the hands and feet can cause enough swelling to lose circulation in your fingers or toes, and they may have to be amputated. Almost no one dies from copperhead bites directly, only very small children or immunocompromised people. What can kill you, though, is failing to treat it like an emergency. Tissue damage, caused by both the initial venom and from the swelling cutting circulation, can result in necrotic tissue entering your bloodstream, and that's very bad for you. That results in conditions like rhabdomyolysis, which is where your kidneys shut down. That, and secondary infections are the most likely serious complications from a copperhead bite.

Water Moccasins

These also have a haemotoxin, and is similar to the copperhead, except their venom is stronger. Direct tissue damage from the venom will leave obvious scars and put you at serious risk of organ failure and secondary infections. The same issues with swelling apply, but that is a secondary concern to loss of tissue. Healthy adults do occasionally die of cottonmouth bites if untreated.

Rattlesnake

Again, mostly haemotoxic, but depending on the species may have mix of neurotoxins also. These guys have the strongest haemotoxins in North America, and a bite will likely require multiple surgeries, including reconstructive surgery. Any bite by a rattler is a serious, immediate, emergency situation. People die from these bites, but mostly they are disfigured. The phrase that doctors and herpetologists use when talking about rattlesnake bites is "time is tissue." In other words, the more time passes between the bite and treatment, the more muscle, fat, and other subcutaneous tissue you can expect to simply dissolve. Hence the need for reconstructive surgery. It's... gruesome.

Coral Snake

These have a powerful neurotoxic venom that will seriously shut you down permanently without treatment. The upside is, bites in the wild are very rare. These guys are rear-fanged, which means they need a whole part of you inside their mouths to inject venom, and they need to "chew" to cause the venom to be injected. Works great on frogs and mice, but other than fingers and toes, not much of a human adult will fit in a coral's mouth. On top of that, they are exceedingly shy, and even if you step on one, they're much more likely to flee than bite. Unlike the other venomous snakes, they don't really see their venom as a defensive weapon, probably because their delivery system isn't practical for defense. So they tend to run rather than bite.

That's all only North America, someone else will have to tell you about other continents. South and Central America are a different story, they have a number of much more toxic snakes that will kill you. And in Australia, even the cute, fluffy animals probably have venom.

Scrounge
07-07-2021, 03:11 PM
There are basically two kinds of venom, and all venomous snakes have one or both kinds.

Haemotoxic venom destroys soft tissue. Skin can hold up to it, but injected into muscle or fat, it breaks it down and liquefies it. How quickly depends on how strong the venom is. It is thought that the snake uses this kind of venom on small animals as a sort of pre-digestion.

Neurotoxic venom attacks your nervous system, usually shutting down the heart and lungs. Again, won't hurt you on your skin, but get it in your eyes, or injected under the skin, and it starts attacking your CNS.

North American Venomous Snakes

Copperheads

Copperheads have a mild haemotoxin, such that it mostly causes massive swelling. The swelling is by far the most dangerous part. Bites on the hands and feet can cause enough swelling to lose circulation in your fingers or toes, and they may have to be amputated. Almost no one dies from copperhead bites directly, only very small children or immunocompromised people. What can kill you, though, is failing to treat it like an emergency. Tissue damage, caused by both the initial venom and from the swelling cutting circulation, can result in necrotic tissue entering your bloodstream, and that's very bad for you. That results in conditions like rhabdomyolysis, which is where your kidneys shut down. That, and secondary infections are the most likely serious complications from a copperhead bite.

Water Moccasins

These also have a haemotoxin, and is similar to the copperhead, except their venom is stronger. Direct tissue damage from the venom will leave obvious scars and put you at serious risk of organ failure and secondary infections. The same issues with swelling apply, but that is a secondary concern to loss of tissue. Healthy adults do occasionally die of cottonmouth bites if untreated.

Rattlesnake

Again, mostly haemotoxic, but depending on the species may have mix of neurotoxins also. These guys have the strongest haemotoxins in North America, and a bite will likely require multiple surgeries, including reconstructive surgery. Any bite by a rattler is a serious, immediate, emergency situation. People die from these bites, but mostly they are disfigured. The phrase that doctors and herpetologists use when talking about rattlesnake bites is "time is tissue." In other words, the more time passes between the bite and treatment, the more muscle, fat, and other subcutaneous tissue you can expect to simply dissolve. Hence the need for reconstructive surgery. It's... gruesome.

Coral Snake

These have a powerful neurotoxic venom that will seriously shut you down permanently without treatment. The upside is, bites in the wild are very rare. These guys are rear-fanged, which means they need a whole part of you inside their mouths to inject venom, and they need to "chew" to cause the venom to be injected. Works great on frogs and mice, but other than fingers and toes, not much of a human adult will fit in a coral's mouth. On top of that, they are exceedingly shy, and even if you step on one, they're much more likely to flee than bite. Unlike the other venomous snakes, they don't really see their venom as a defensive weapon, probably because their delivery system isn't practical for defense. So they tend to run rather than bite.

That's all only North America, someone else will have to tell you about other continents. South and Central America are a different story, they have a number of much more toxic snakes that will kill you. And in Australia, even the cute, fluffy animals probably have venom.

And Australia was once called "the Poison Coast" because there are a lot of venomous critters and plants there. From reading, only, never been there. :(

robertbank
07-07-2021, 03:41 PM
Ryanmattes thank you for your information. I have no desire to gt anywhere near any of the four. We do have rattlers in the desert area of BC, AB and SK. Never saw one live or dead and I plan to keep it that way. I guess if you live among them you are used to them and are snake savvy.

Take Care

Bob

lksmith
07-07-2021, 07:11 PM

Take Care

Bob

The main concerns with copperheads are that they are so well camouflaged, that you can easily step on them, which causes them to strike.
Moccasins/cottonmouths are very aggressive and stout snakes, they will usually strike first vs. try to get away. Multiple strikes is not uncommon and sometimes they will bite and hold on since their main prey is fish if they let go the fish can get away. the whole time they are holding on they are potentially injecting more venom. They are terminated with extreme prejudice on my place, i usually carry a shotgun while mowing, on the tractor or dozer

blackthorn
07-08-2021, 11:44 AM
We do have rattlers here around Kamloops BC and surrounding areas. I have a cabin on a lake outside Merritt BC and I have seen one or two large rattlers at the lower levels on the road in, but never around the cabin. This may be due to the cabin being at around 5400 feet. I have had the lake property since 1964. We moved to Kamloops in 2004 and while I know there are rattlers here, I have never personally seen one. I am not particularly afraid of snakes, but I hold them in great respect and watch for them, "just in case".

ryanmattes
07-08-2021, 01:01 PM
The way I think about it, is that to them, we're giant, terrifying predators. We're a thousand times bigger than them, and would you really want to tussle with an elephant-sized predator? They want nothing to do with us.

By and large, they run away at the sight (or sound) of us. But sometimes we catch then unaware, or they think they're safe hiding under the log you just picked up, and we come into conflict. Most snakes are hesitant to bite you, and will avoid it if possible. A few, like cottonmouths, get aggressive, because that's proven effective for them.

Remember, venom isn't free. It takes energy to make, and it's their primary means of catching food. There's a biological cost to wasting their venom on you, that most of the time isn't worth it. Even if they manage to drive you off or kill you, they risk being injured, breaking teeth, etc, all of which makes it harder to catch their next meal. Having a confrontation with a human is expensive for a snake.

So for the most part, they aren't just hanging around looking to bite people. They're doing the math in their tiny reptile brains, "Will I survive this encounter? Will I still be capable of hunting afterwards?" For the most part, if they aren't in fear of imminent death, they don't want to bite you. They want to get away from you and go back to finding their next meal.

samari46
07-08-2021, 11:28 PM
My wife went out to get the mail and I heard the word snake. Seems she just opened the front door and there was one just in front of the door. The snake slithered into the grass in front of the house. What with almost 3 weeks of daily rains both I and my neighbor have seen them on a more than occasional basis. Since I have a bayou at the foot of my property and the bayou has overflowed it's banks more than is normal for this time of year. Frank