PDA

View Full Version : Liquid lube

kiwi
06-10-2021, 10:14 PM
Hi I want to make some liquid lube Alox is not available in New Zealand including the Lee stuff
I use The White Label Carunuba Red sticks in my Lube sizers, but a few guys I sell cast bullets to
also cast their own and want to tumble lube them and asked if I could make a tumble lube for them,
I was wondering if it would be possible to use the Carunuba Red as a base for such a lube any
would be helpfull , Robert.

toallmy
06-11-2021, 07:22 AM
I believe while label sells liquid alox .
Liquid Xlox

Wayne Smith
06-12-2021, 08:53 AM
Alox 'not available' because? Not legal or simply not carried? There are several sources for mail order, if it can be legally delivered.

Dusty Bannister
06-12-2021, 09:19 AM
This is the product that you are seeking. As an alternative to a tumble lube, some have warmed bullets, placed them in a bag with a small amount of soft stick lube and massaged the bag while wearing gloves to disburse the lube onto the bullets in the bag. But you are not going to make Liquid Alox from commercial bullet lubes.

https://www.thegearboxguys.com/data/ALOX606-55pds.pdf

It is possible that New Zealand laws are the problem, not the source of the material.

You might also consider searching the sticky on bullet lubes in that part of the forum. Much great information and perhaps there is something in all those files that might help these guys out.

richhodg66
06-12-2021, 11:10 PM
I believe while label sells liquid alox .
Liquid Xlox

Yes, they do, or at least they did a few years ago last time I ordered some from them.

Driver man
06-13-2021, 04:36 AM
Hi I want to make some liquid lube Alox is not available in New Zealand including the Lee stuff
I use The White Label Carunuba Red sticks in my Lube sizers, but a few guys I sell cast bullets to
also cast their own and want to tumble lube them and asked if I could make a tumble lube for them,
I was wondering if it would be possible to use the Carunuba Red as a base for such a lube any
would be helpfull , Robert.

Robert, why dont you go straight to powder coat. Its real easy.

Sasquatch-1
06-13-2021, 07:39 AM
If it is legal check this place out:

https://lsstuff.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_reviews_info&products_id=12&reviews_id=2&zenid=6bbth9m544jgfgnhqtabm20o15

They sell xlox by th 16 and 32 oz bottles

kiwi
06-16-2021, 08:49 AM
Robert, why dont you go straight to powder coat. Its real easy.
It's not for me just a few guys that I sell bullets to, Not interested in powder coating to set up for the number of bullets I make
is not feasible I prefer to lube and size in one go,
The problem with Lee Alox is Lee does not export it to NZ anymore it appears to be a carrier thing there are a number of companies
that stock Lee products none of them can get the liquid Alox, Getting the JPW and Mineral spirit to make 45 45 10 is not a problem
Just wondering if using Carunuba Red as a base instead of Alox would work.

JM7.7x58
06-16-2021, 09:42 AM
Try using 4 parts by volume JPW to one part Carnauba Red(or just use beeswax in place of the Carnauba Red).

Heat until they mix. Putting a tin can in a boiling water bath is a safe way to heat this mix up.

Then apply this lube to your bullets in another tin can using a hairdryer/heat gun. Warm the bullets first then add a pea to almond sized dollop of lube. Swirl and dump out on wax paper to dry.

It has been reported that the 4:1 JPW/Beeswax version works at top 30-30 velocities of around 2300fps with a properly sized bullet.

kiwi
06-17-2021, 06:47 PM
Try using 4 parts by volume JPW to one part Carnauba Red(or just use beeswax in place of the Carnauba Red).

Heat until they mix. Putting a tin can in a boiling water bath is a safe way to heat this mix up.

Then apply this lube to your bullets in another tin can using a hairdryer/heat gun. Warm the bullets first then add a pea to almond sized dollop of lube. Swirl and dump out on wax paper to dry.

It has been reported that the 4:1 JPW/Beeswax version works at top 30-30 velocities of around 2300fps with a properly sized bullet.

Thanks, Thats want I wanted to know I have a good supply of Carnauba Red, Will have ago whipping some up.

Landy88
06-17-2021, 08:16 PM

Even without Kiwi's availability issues this seems like an easy to source, mix, and use lube worth knowing about and trying. Thanks.

bruce381
06-20-2021, 10:45 PM
"Just wondering if using Carunuba Red as a base instead of Alox would work."

Sorry no not same thing