PDA

View Full Version : Birds aren't just for ThanksGiving ya know...!

PatMarlin
01-04-2009, 12:06 AM
Smoked some overnight seasoned chick hind 1/4's and a 20lb Turkey today.

I use pear and manzanita wood. Smoke cook all day til about' 175drgs in the leg/thigh areas, and it falls off the bone for dinner.

Got a lot of meat off that bird. Beautiful day but COLD. All the snow melted from past few days of rain. I love the State of Jefferson ...:mrgreen:

Got a lot of work done today.

Life is good.

eka
01-04-2009, 11:31 AM
Dang, Pat that looks goooood.

madcaster
01-04-2009, 12:22 PM
We have a turkey with onions in one crock pot and green beans in another cooking right NOW Keith,come on up for a 5PM supper![smilie=s:

leadeye
01-04-2009, 01:00 PM
Looks mighty tasty Pat, never heard of manzanita wood though. Spent a great day at Jim Britt's place Friday messin with molds and shooting the breeze.

kevin

PatMarlin
01-04-2009, 01:10 PM
OK now I'm jealous Kevin.

You got to hang out with the master Kenjuudo?

I have cast boolit envy....! Don't tell him I said that though ..:mrgreen:

leadeye
01-04-2009, 02:01 PM
Learn something new everytime I talk to him. What do you season the chicken with? I use a 1-1-1 dry rub of salt sugar and paprika. I don't have a smoker but am looking to get one this year. I usually do two five pound chickens on beer cans at a time on the grill.

singleshotbuff
01-04-2009, 06:25 PM
Pat,

Great lookin meal there!

I have a question though. Did you make that smoker? If so I'd like to pick your brain about it as I want to make one outta 55gal drum.

SSB

PatMarlin
01-04-2009, 10:54 PM
Kevin, I use Pappy's and garlic powder.

SSB I didn't make that one, but I know the guy that did. I believe it's a well pressure tank.

Mine isn't your Texas Pit style smoker with an offset burner, rather it's just a grill with 2 heavy woven wire grates which I like the best.

I also like this design the best as it's a great open grill when you want that, and when I want a smoker, I build a fire at one end. You get great offset heat control and you can limit your heat and smoke by opening or closing the 2 lids.

It has a big suface area, and I've laid out the hole thing for smoked salmon, or venison jerky.

You can slow smoke, or cook at any speed.