PDA

View Full Version : Cicadas

GregLaROCHE
06-09-2021, 04:27 AM
A friend of mine living in Maryland just told me about the terrible cicada problem. She says there are so many dead ones piled up in her yard that everything is starting to smell like rotten meat.

What are others experiencing where you are? Is the problem that bad all along the East Coast?

lavenatti
06-09-2021, 06:28 AM
I'm in northern NJ, Have not seen or heard a cicada yet this year.

MrWolf
06-09-2021, 06:45 AM
Gotten lucky on my mountain. Sounds like a UFO space ship is landing , especially when they started surrounding us. Only seen maybe two dozen yesterday which was our first major day of them. Down into town about 30 mins away and it is like an invasion. Rrally messes up your windshield. UPS driver said he even got them in his boot while driving. Did see where news stated if you have shellfish allergies, don't eat them.

Sasquatch-1
06-09-2021, 07:30 AM
+1 on this. I am in the Eastern Pan Handle area of WV. Drove to the range the other day and now I can barely see out my windshield. In my neighborhood it is not too bad due to the fact that most of the land in the area has been developed since the last time the cicadas were out.

My mother in law, who lives in Rockville, Md., Says the noise is driving her batty. Although some entrepreneur in Montgomery cty md. started selling Chocolate covered cicadas.

Gotten lucky on my mountain. Sounds like a UFO space ship is landing , especially when they started surrounding us. Only seen maybe two dozen yesterday which was our first major day of them. Down into town about 30 mins away and it is like an invasion.

bakerjw
06-09-2021, 07:34 AM
There are several broods of them. Ours is different than Illinois which is likely different than Maryland.

Maryland has the same brood as Indiana. Anyone in Indiana have them yet?

myg30
06-09-2021, 07:53 AM
My mother in law, who lives in Rockville, Md., Says the noise is driving her batty. Although some entrepreneur in Montgomery cty md. started selling Chocolate covered cicadas.[/QUOTE]

A co-worker of mine was from Laos, when cicadas came out I remember him telling us that they are very good. Can’t remember how or if they cooked them or ate as is.
He said “ Cicada good ! No taste like chicken” !
Here in southern middle Tenn, I’ve not heard or see any yet.
Back couple year ago when we had chickens, they would jump and go up and snatch them out of the air. Quite a show with 32 free range chickens in your back yard and a swarm of screaming cicadas.

Mike

Mike

fixit
06-09-2021, 07:53 AM
We've got patches of them around indianapolis, none around my neighborhood, though. I remember from the last 17 year peak, the distribution of the brood is spotty. I've heard stories about the carcasses being 2 or 3 inches deep in some areas! My wife, who is a hospice nurse and travels all over central Indiana, ran across a batch of them and recorded it with her phone...it sounds like the glitter rockets on forth of July!

Mr_Sheesh
06-09-2021, 08:03 AM
Chickens "are vegetarians", some claim. Tell that to the mice and bugs they assault on sight! Chickens are brutal on 'em.

recumbent
06-09-2021, 08:05 AM
Haven't seen any yet.

Wayne Smith
06-09-2021, 08:11 AM
None here yet, we had them last year.

Ithaca Gunner
06-09-2021, 08:15 AM
I wonder what restrictions our demon-crat politicians will come up with because of these bugs... They say 20 miles south of me they're getting bad, but here, we haven't seen any yet. We had em last time, so I'm sure they'll be here again.

pertnear
06-09-2021, 08:53 AM
If these are pic's of what you're talking about we have them here in Central Texas but not in epidemic numbers. Folks around here incorrectly call them locusts. They're a soothing sound to compliment a cool evening ("cool" is relative term in Texas). I see the husks attached here & there & my dog likes to eat them.

farmbif
06-09-2021, 09:08 AM
took a little field trip to pigeon forge last week and pulled into the rest area on 40 and the dang things were so loud I think I would want good ear plugs if I were a trucker wanting to get some sleep. but there is barely a peep from any of them at my place. I found one brown husk on tree by my driveway but that's it, but, the fireflies are staring to come out here and folks come flocking in the area every year to watch the firefly show.

country gent
06-09-2021, 09:26 AM
Be careful driving when they are heavy like this they are worse than ice on the roads

myg30
06-09-2021, 09:37 AM
Farmbif, which state are you in if it’s ok to ask ?

farmbif
06-09-2021, 09:50 AM
I'm in east Tennessee on the edge of the smokies

kenjuudo
06-09-2021, 09:50 AM
There are several broods of them. Ours is different than Illinois which is likely different than Maryland.

Maryland has the same brood as Indiana. Anyone in Indiana have them yet?

Oh God can't breath for them ...one county over ...none.

GBertolet
06-09-2021, 09:53 AM
They are really bad here in SE PA. They are everywhere. The newspaper reported their noise is at the 100 DB level. The noise reminds me of phaser fire from Star Trek. Their noise is constant, dawn to dusk. I mowed the lawn yesterday, and wearing ear plugs, I could hear them, over the sound of the lawn mower. Supposedly they are relatively harmless. They don't bite or sting, and they don't eat foliage. They mate, lay their eggs and die. The noise they make, is in effort to attract a mate. They are a great food source for creatures of the forest. I hear that Copperhead snakes are especially fond of them.

memtb
06-09-2021, 10:10 AM
I grew up seeing cicadas (we called them locusts) every year! We didn’t seem to see the massive hatch that many areas are experiencing. Seeing cicadas (locusts) was just another day growing up in Louisiana! memtb

memtb
06-09-2021, 10:15 AM
Quote from GBertolet.....I hear that Copperhead snakes are especially fond of them.

As are some of the CNN “talking heads”! :bigsmyl2: memtb

Dunross
06-09-2021, 10:22 AM
I've always thought it odd the way cicadas swarm in some areas, but not others. We have at least one species here in Florida, but they simply don't behave the way they do further north.

What we do get - twice a year - is lovebugs. They don't bite, they don't eat your plants, they don't do anything, but fly around and splat all over your car where they dry on so hard you have to be careful not to damage your paint getting them off again. In the bad years you can't hardly sit outside for so many of them crawling all over you.

Der Gebirgsjager
06-09-2021, 10:32 AM
What would really be cool would be if God would send the seagulls to eat them. Gulls can range very far inland looking for food.

DG

dverna
06-09-2021, 10:42 AM
So far, none in Northern MI and I hope it stays that way. Maybe I am confusing them with another bug but we do get "them" but not in swarms.

clarksvillejoe
06-09-2021, 10:42 AM
We are in the yellow area for brood this year. Fortunately, none here (yet). 17 years ago it was deafening. 5 miles or so west it hits the high DB levels

OldBearHair
06-09-2021, 11:11 AM
Same here in Conroe Texas Pertnear. My six Rat Terriers dig 4 inch deep holes all under my white oak trees and it seems they are after cicadas. Copperhead snakes do feed heavily on emerging cicadas. Have had several snakebites {sister-in-law and dogs} Two years ago I learnded that the copperhead came out about 9 to 10 pm to get the emerging cicadas and would venture out with snakecatcher and best flashlights. Here is a picture of one nights catch. There were 12 snakes less in one month. I have posted it before on Cast Boolits Forum. It seems we only have a miniscule herd of cicadas here as compared to what is being reported on the other posts. Has anyone tried them for fish bait!

OldBearHair
06-09-2021, 11:14 AM
Oh yes Lovebugs! We do have Lovebugs. One good thing is, they only last about six weeks and are gone.

bakerjw
06-09-2021, 11:26 AM
took a little field trip to pigeon forge last week and pulled into the rest area on 40 and the dang things were so loud I think I would want good ear plugs if I were a trucker wanting to get some sleep. but there is barely a peep from any of them at my place. I found one brown husk on tree by my driveway but that's it, but, the fireflies are staring to come out here and folks come flocking in the area every year to watch the firefly show.

Start up a thread on that.

WestKentucky
06-09-2021, 11:26 AM
Time to fish!!! Hula poppers mimick a cicada pretty well. If your in a spot where the swarm is approaching biblical proportion then the fish may already be full, but in other area NOW is the time to land a big mess of fish in a hurry.

375supermag
06-09-2021, 11:42 AM
Hi...
I live in York County Pa in the Brood X area on the map.
Haven't seen or heard a single cicada yet.
My wife is visiting her sister in Ohio and sge says they are out around Columbus, Ohio.

gwpercle
06-09-2021, 03:32 PM
I live in Baton Rouge , Louisiana ... all is quite on this front ... but upon closer inspection of the Cicada Map our area isn't do for a hatch until 2014 ... then we get hit with the dreaded cross fire double cicada hatche ...
... Brood XXII and Brood III are scheduled to both be in the multiple brood hatch ...2014 is going to be a doozy . I'm sure glad we now have central A/C ...sleeping with the windows open and the attic fan on during a hot humid Cicada double barrel cross fire hatch out summer just about drives you insane . At least now , close the windows , click on the unit and get some cool dry sleep .
As a kid they gave us something to play around with ... but I got TV and Wife for that now .
Gary

gwpercle
06-09-2021, 03:43 PM
Time to fish!!! Hula poppers mimick a cicada pretty well. If your in a spot where the swarm is approaching biblical proportion then the fish may already be full, but in other area NOW is the time to land a big mess of fish in a hurry.

Thanks WK ... I always wondered just what the heck a Hula-Popper was trying to mimic .
Dad had several in his box and I had three or four . Came in many different colors most of them had fish or frog markings but they could have been anything .
Gary

pertnear
06-09-2021, 03:45 PM
When I was a kid we use to tie a thread around their head & fly them around on a leash. When they got tired or we got tired we smash 'em! Dang cruel kids!...LOL

BJK
06-09-2021, 03:59 PM
I sorta miss cicadas. When I live in NJ we had them but not hordes of them. The few we had I liked to hear. Here in Maine we just don't have them.

jlm223
06-09-2021, 05:23 PM
I have not seen any in Muncie Indiana.

johniv
06-09-2021, 05:44 PM
They are out in force here in WV. I look on the bright side, while they are a small nuscence, the birds here are concentrating on the bugs, and leaving the service berries for me.

Mr_Sheesh
06-09-2021, 06:12 PM
None in WA state, but we do have other problems :p

Gator 45/70
06-09-2021, 06:49 PM
I live in Baton Rouge , Louisiana ... all is quite on this front ... but upon closer inspection of the Cicada Map our area isn't do for a hatch until 2014 ... then we get hit with the dreaded cross fire double cicada hatche ...
... Brood XXII and Brood III are scheduled to both be in the multiple brood hatch ...2014 is going to be a doozy . I'm sure glad we now have central A/C ...sleeping with the windows open and the attic fan on during a hot humid Cicada double barrel cross fire hatch out summer just about drives you insane . At least now , close the windows , click on the unit and get some cool dry sleep .
As a kid they gave us something to play around with ... but I got TV and Wife for that now .
Gary

I'm pretty sure ours cross-bred with Killer Hornets, I'm sure we are in for a real treat?
Would you us shrimp,crab or crawfish boil to cook a few up ?

Mr_Sheesh
06-09-2021, 07:07 PM
gwpercle, I keep forgetting to ask, did you mean 2024 there? Thinking 2014 is done and over with :)

pertnear
06-10-2021, 09:31 AM
Same here in Conroe Texas Pertnear. My six Rat Terriers dig 4 inch deep holes all under my white oak trees and it seems they are after cicadas. Copperhead snakes do feed heavily on emerging cicadas. Have had several snakebites {sister-in-law and dogs} Two years ago I learnded that the copperhead came out about 9 to 10 pm to get the emerging cicadas and would venture out with snakecatcher and best flashlights. Here is a picture of one nights catch. There were 12 snakes less in one month. I have posted it before on Cast Boolits Forum. It seems we only have a miniscule herd of cicadas here as compared to what is being reported on the other posts. Has anyone tried them for fish bait!
Thanks for the heads-up OldBearHair! I live on lake LBJ & have never seen a copperhead, but now I'll be on the look out, especially at night. I have several big oak trees around.

rockrat
06-10-2021, 09:50 AM
When I was a teenager I snagged one that was just able to fly and flying by me. As I was catfishing, I stuck it on a hook and tossed it out. Turned to get a soda out of the cooler and my rod was headed for the lake. Ran and grabbed it, but whatever struck it was gone.

Kraschenbirn
06-10-2021, 05:21 PM
Was at the range this morning, a few miles west of Danville, IL...constant 'buzz' from the cottonwoods along the creek that constitutes the east boundary of the club's property and a couple hundred dead cicada on the rifle line firing points. Don't recall seeing them this thick in IL since the early 1950s down in the southern part of the state.

Bill

243winxb
06-10-2021, 05:29 PM
In Pa. Some area have few. At the gun club many.

06-10-2021, 06:28 PM
These are the cicadas I see. I was out fishing and this bird was watching for cicadas to fall in the lake, they were swallowing the bugs whole. He is forever hungry for the fish that eat them. Thinking back I should have helped him out. ( By throwing some bugs in the water). I wonder if that bird is intelligent enough to learn to bait fish with insects.

The day before I caught 4 big black crappie, one large bluegill, and a medium size bass baiting my ultralight with cicadas.

Hook them through the abdomen with the hook exposed, I was having best results with tiny panfish hook #8, as soon as they hit the water they start to flap like a dummy and the fish go crazy and swallow it whole.
Dead cicadas got no response, I think the flapping triggers some instinct to eat.

And eat they did.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210610/77986b80a23b7511d224643f6ef13d96.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210610/d323d80c10d3fa1c86edec2dd0df1dad.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210610/70e0e346869dae686c576d6693ec3724.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

farmbif
06-10-2021, 07:32 PM
just saw on local news some restaurant in Knoxville is serving up cicada burgers, yeah--not for me.

GregLaROCHE
06-10-2021, 08:08 PM
Cicada burgers? Not for me either! I once saw grasshoppers for sale in a tin like sardines. I think eating insects is an Asian custom.

LUCKYDAWG13
06-10-2021, 08:56 PM
I have not seen any in northern IL as of yet

oneofsix
06-10-2021, 09:08 PM
I haven't seen any in SE NC, but I haven't been home for a week. We had a small group last year, chickens love the bugs as much as my dogs love munching on them.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

2A-Jay
06-10-2021, 09:25 PM
None in WA state, but we do have other problems :p

Like Inslee and Fergusson?

PrestoColumbus
06-10-2021, 09:35 PM

PSA from cinci

Mr_Sheesh
06-10-2021, 09:54 PM
2A Jay, yeppers, exactly, and some voters who don't like their results but keep voting the same anyways.

cuzinbruce
06-10-2021, 10:11 PM
In today's news, a cicada attacked our President, who flicked it to the ground. As he was departing on Air Force One. The press plane was delayed. Engine inhaled a swarm of the little buggers. They had to find another plane to haul the media over to Europe.

WinchesterM1
06-11-2021, 08:44 AM
Chickens "are vegetarians", some claim. Tell that to the mice and bugs they assault on sight! Chickens are brutal on 'em.

I’ve got 18 barredrocks and I’ll tell you what… I killed a mouse in a trap and threw it outside and I had 18 chickens FIGHTING for a dead mouse. Chickens will eat ANYTHING

Mr_Sheesh
06-11-2021, 09:14 AM
I've seen a cat spot a mouse and start lining up to pounce, chicken spotted it and WHAM, instant attack. No patience but effective tactics I guess.

375supermag
06-11-2021, 10:10 AM
In Pa. Some area have few. At the gun club many.

Ho...
Whereabouts in Pennsylvania???

I am in York County near the Susquehanna River.