PDA

View Full Version : Screwdriver Boolits

Super Sneaky Steve
06-08-2021, 08:12 PM
Does anyone know of a mould for screwdriver boolits?

It seems to me that hard cast boolits of this style would work really well. Soft hollow points don't always like to be smashed into a feed ramp, but a hard cast boolit of this design should be easy to churn out and wouldn't deform on the way into the tube.

I can already see the challenge of mass producing these the traditional way moulds are cut, but with today's CNC machines it should be possible. I'd pay more for something of this design.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.mwstatic.com%2Fproduct-images%2F880x660%2FPrimary%2F144%2F144401.jpg%3Fv% 3D815388&f=1&nofb=1

Mal Paso
06-08-2021, 08:56 PM
There was a fellow a few years ago who went a bit further with outrageous tips on cast bullets, one was an actual screw. Maybe someone else remembers his handle or look in the archives.

oley55
06-08-2021, 09:17 PM
frustrating...I remember seeing those and more like them but my search efforts have failed miserably.

GregLaROCHE
06-08-2021, 10:20 PM
That’s an interesting design. I guess it is supposed to open up like petals of a flower. Have you ever looked inside one? Is it a solid lead core or is there possibly a hollow point under the jacket?

Mal Paso
06-08-2021, 10:26 PM
As I remember he was a retired machinist with a CNC mill doing the near impossible. I think there were 2 Threads with lots of pictures. I looked too and didn't find them. They might have been in Castpics.

Gtek
06-08-2021, 10:53 PM
Take a guess, how much do you think that profile would cost in a mold?

imashooter2
06-09-2021, 12:16 AM
That’s an interesting design. I guess it is supposed to open up like petals of a flower. Have you ever looked inside one? Is it a solid lead core or is there possibly a hollow point under the jacket?

It doesn’t open at all. Instead the scallops create a wake effect in ballistic gelatin (and presumably meat) that is supposed to incapacitate via hydrostatic shock. It all sounds very hypothetical to me and I would want to see a ton of evidence from real shootings before I went that way on carry ammo.

cwtebay
06-09-2021, 12:40 AM
https://youtu.be/DYLbmSp5itA

Take a gander at this!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

imashooter2
06-09-2021, 12:56 AM
Yeah… that video doesn’t make me feel any better about the design for self defense…

GregLaROCHE
06-09-2021, 01:05 AM
It doesn’t open at all. Instead the scallops create a wake effect in ballistic gelatin (and presumably meat) that is supposed to incapacitate via hydrostatic shock. It all sounds very hypothetical to me and I would want to see a ton of evidence from real shootings before I went that way on carry ammo.

Interesting. Thanks for the explanation.

Scrounge
06-09-2021, 07:38 AM
As I remember he was a retired machinist with a CNC mill doing the near impossible. I think there were 2 Threads with lots of pictures. I looked too and didn't find them. They might have been in Castpics.

I think the best way to make a mold for this profile would be with an EDM system. And I wouldn't chose it for self-defense unless I lived alone in the deep woods. WAY too much penetration for soft targets like humans. I'm in town, got neighbor's houses within 10 feet mine on one side, and about 20 on the other. I mostly like my neighbors, and wouldn't want to be penetrating them.

Bill

Bent Ramrod
06-09-2021, 09:45 AM
I remember reading that those were designed for the “Second Chance” pistol matches where the winner is the one who clears a table full of bowling pins in the shortest time.

Of course, the gamesmen went after this as soon as it was set up. Hollow points filled up with wood, and didn’t expand enough to make a difference over solid flat points. More power was not the answer, either. A Magnum load might knock a pin off with a marginal hit, but a center hit would splinter the pin, and splinters on the table count as pins and are harder to clean off.

So that Phillips design was devised, which (theoretically) would twist the pin off its base with any reasonably solid hit, and hopefully roll it off the table.

You’d need a special (and expensive) nose punch on a swage die to make that design work in production.

emt1581
06-09-2021, 09:56 AM
I remember reading that those were designed for the “Second Chance” pistol matches where the winner is the one who clears a table full of bowling pins in the shortest time.

Of course, the gamesmen went after this as soon as it was set up. Hollow points filled up with wood, and didn’t expand enough to make a difference over solid flat points. More power was not the answer, either. A Magnum load might knock a pin off with a marginal hit, but a center hit would splinter the pin, and splinters on the table count as pins and are harder to clean off.

So that Phillips design was devised, which (theoretically) would twist the pin off its base with any reasonably solid hit, and hopefully roll it off the table.

You’d need a special (and expensive) nose punch on a swage die to make that design work in production.

Wow!! Talk about what happens when necessity being the mother of invention meeting American ingenuity!!

44MAG#1
06-09-2021, 10:10 AM
https://www.lehighdefense.com/all/451-xtreme-defense-190gr-subsonic-supersonic-bullet

kevin c
06-09-2021, 12:48 PM
Interesting!

Is the dollar plus per slug their standard or panic shortage price?

kerplode
06-09-2021, 12:55 PM

The bullet in the OPs image is monolithic and doesn't expand at all. The flutes coupled with the spin of the bullet force fluid outward when it strikes tissue, but it'll penetrate through intermediate barriers without much deformation or loss of terminal effect.

44MAG#1
06-09-2021, 12:56 PM
That sounds close to the price they normally are.

44MAG#1
06-09-2021, 01:33 PM
I just use a Hard "hard cast" bullet with a very decent flat meplat and don't worry about it.

Super Sneaky Steve
06-09-2021, 04:17 PM
Yeah… that video doesn’t make me feel any better about the design for self defense…

I suppose nothing will, but I mainly carry a .32 or .38 snubby so hollow points aren't that reliable either. Wadcutters my be the next best choice but this design looks very promising and I'd like to cast them for pennies rather than buy solid copper boolits for a few dollars each.

35remington
06-09-2021, 06:12 PM
What might be desirable would be a reduction of metal in the front of the bullet to reduce penetration but too much would make the bullet too fragile for feed ramp impact when cast of lead versus the same in a copper alloy.

Look up “Xtreme Defender.”

gwpercle
06-09-2021, 07:47 PM
The bullet in the OPs image is monolithic and doesn't expand at all. The flutes coupled with the spin of the bullet force fluid outward when it strikes tissue, but it'll penetrate through intermediate barriers without much deformation or loss of terminal effect.

And I believe they are of copper or a copper alloy (no lead) and are light in weight .
When driven to high velocities they cause a lot of cavitation damage with the flutes spinning .
Shooting blocks of ballistic gel seemed to do a lot of damage . But real world use is another story .
They didn't do away with boolits !
Gary

imashooter2
06-09-2021, 07:56 PM
I suppose nothing will, but I mainly carry a .32 or .38 snubby so hollow points aren't that reliable either. Wadcutters my be the next best choice but this design looks very promising and I'd like to cast them for pennies rather than buy solid copper boolits for a few dollars each.

Not so… a nice pile of real world shooting results and autopsy reports and I could change my mind. Until then, the flavor of the month is not what is going in my carry gun.

ohen cepel
06-09-2021, 08:28 PM
Would be interesting to see a mold for that, I think I would prefer it in .38 or .32 myself.

However, as mentioned above a nice semi-wadcutter with a large meplat may perform as well or better.

eb in oregon
06-09-2021, 08:32 PM

That is a solid copper projectile made by Lehigh Defense and it doesn't "open up." It drills holes.

gwpercle
06-10-2021, 07:27 PM
That is a solid copper projectile made by Lehigh Defense and it doesn't "open up." It drills holes.

Or it could drive screws ... I wonder if the "Torx" design will be next ...That could drive the mould makers up a wall !
Gary

recumbent
06-11-2021, 01:12 PM
Here it is in cast lead, see the photo.
https://www.google.com/search?q=as-molds&rlz=1CABRFU_enUS863&sxsrf=ALeKk03NGlxOyaHYjHjNVFmcXw2bfp0yXQ:162343129 2725&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjflZTsiJDxAhUyO30KHY_ECiYQ_AUoAnoECAEQB A&biw=1601&bih=749#imgrc=NLIxCtPijKNb-M

gwpercle
06-11-2021, 03:02 PM
Here it is in cast lead, see the photo.
https://www.google.com/search?q=as-molds&rlz=1CABRFU_enUS863&sxsrf=ALeKk03NGlxOyaHYjHjNVFmcXw2bfp0yXQ:162343129 2725&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjflZTsiJDxAhUyO30KHY_ECiYQ_AUoAnoECAEQB A&biw=1601&bih=749#imgrc=NLIxCtPijKNb-M
I've never heard of AS-moulds ... are they out of Russia ...?
Something Wonky about this site .
Gary

recumbent
06-11-2021, 03:10 PM
Yes they are out of Russia. I think they are on facebook.

Super Sneaky Steve
06-11-2021, 11:16 PM
https://as-molds.com/452-cal/

Here's their website. Their .45 mould drops 344grains. Not sure what I'd do with that.

slim1836
06-11-2021, 11:56 PM
There was a fellow a few years ago who went a bit further with outrageous tips on cast bullets, one was an actual screw. Maybe someone else remembers his handle or look in the archives.

"OldPara" I believe. I have several of his creations. Sadly, his pics don't show up anymore.

Slim

imashooter2
06-12-2021, 12:51 AM
I've never heard of AS-moulds ... are they out of Russia ...?
Something Wonky about this site .
Gary

LOL! Just send your banking information. They’ll handle the transaction. [smilie=1::kidding:

JSnover
06-12-2021, 06:03 AM
I remember those threads with the crazy profiles, it was more a way to pass time time than a serious attempt to reinvent the cast boolit. Maybe Lehigh didn't realize it was just a joke.
In the smaller calibers though, where expansion just isn't there, they appear to be better than FMJ.

slim1836
06-14-2021, 10:55 PM

These are the boolits I received from OldPara a few years ago. I did add a couple filler plain boolits to fill in some.

He was a very smart man to make the dies for these, some of his computer drawings were out of this world. Don't know where he went, miss his works.

If the pics are sideways or upside down, they looked right to me.

Slim

Mal Paso
06-17-2021, 09:15 AM
Thanks for remembering and posting!

marek313
06-17-2021, 11:19 AM
That looks very similar to Ruger ARX ammo so there were few companies that tried that design. The reason I got a box is specifically for my PT111 that doesnt feed hollow points but it will feed this Ruger ARX ammo just fine. 9mm is very light at only 80gr but being +P @1445fps helps so I think it would be decent home defensive ammo.

Toymaker
06-17-2021, 12:34 PM
I don't remember the individual's name, but here are pix of some of his bullets that I copied.284651 284652 284653 284654 284655