PDA

View Full Version : got 1000 Rem 57 primers, any ideas???

Depreacher
01-03-2009, 10:28 PM
Went into some of the darkest parts of my shop and uncovered 10 boxes of rem 57, and cci157 primers. They are too small for my AA hulls, and I don't have any old type Remington hulls (which I always hated anyway). I knocked the anvil and cap part out of a spent 109 to see if it would fit in there. No dice. Hmmm, guess I could put all in a small bottle and use the old 8mm on it at 100 yds. Any ideas? Any new hulls available for this. I got a shop full of white elephants. DePreacher:???:

Johnch
01-03-2009, 11:44 PM
No new hulls made for the 57 sized primer in .......lets just say several decades

I be if you put them on Gunbroker or one of the other auction sites
Someone would buy them

I sold several K of the CCI 157's a while back and bought 2X 209's with the cash

John

Three44s
01-04-2009, 09:41 PM
Sir ...... YES SIR ........

Hows about this thought!

One of our esteemed members placed a post a while back about converting cases for a .222 rem into a pellet gun .......

He uses a letter C drill bit and then stuffs a .22 cal pellet in the mouth and a standard shot gun pellet into the drilled out primer pocket.

My point is that given the different primer pockets ...... large and small ....... and the propensity of many to shoot either rubber or plastic or wax bullets out of revolvers .......

OR for that matter, maybe you have .22 centerfire you would like to launch some pellets out of?

...... it seems to me you might have yourself a bunch of primer powered caps to blast with?

Regards

Three 44s

Depreacher
01-05-2009, 08:18 PM
Both are good thoughts. THANKS guys.

44mag1
01-05-2009, 09:07 PM
Ive got a bunch of these too, I like the bottle idea. not sure a pellet would hold up to the pressure.

Bullshop Junior
01-05-2009, 09:48 PM
I wraped the primer in paper and the seated it and shot it. when the primer went off it pressed the paper into the primer pocket and then I got about 5 shots befor I had to replace the paper, and I was still able to use 209 primers.
BIC/Daniel/BS Jr.

357maximum
01-05-2009, 10:33 PM
I like the sound of the bootle full O' Caps....

jhrosier
01-05-2009, 10:58 PM
You guys please be careful with those primers.
A bottle full of primers is more dangerous than a hand grenade.

And please don't shoot at them where they will get scattered in the dirt and later hurt some unsuspecting person. How would you like to be melting range scrap and have one off them go off in your lead pot?

just my .02

Jack

shotman
01-05-2009, 11:43 PM
I have aways liked the sound of ---- Hey watch this--

357maximum
01-06-2009, 12:00 AM
HOLD MY BEER AND WATCH THIS.

Actually I have a few boxes of remingtons..thinking about using them in my encore muzzleloader.....have not tried fit though, just thinking at this point...not sure what drawer they are in yet.[smilie=1:

44mag1
01-06-2009, 11:39 AM
You guys please be careful with those primers.
A bottle full of primers is more dangerous than a hand grenade.

And please don't shoot at them where they will get scattered in the dirt and later hurt some unsuspecting person. How would you like to be melting range scrap and have one off them go off in your lead pot?

just my .02

Jack

very good point!

richbug
01-06-2009, 02:03 PM
I built an inline muzzleloader just to use up the ones I have here. If I manage to use up all 1500 or so I have I can always ream out the breech to take a 209. They work fine to set off black powder.

Depreacher
01-09-2009, 09:06 AM
Even I have enough sense to use, or dispose, of them carefully. It was good for laughs only. The paper idea might be worth trying. Sure don't want the gas to get around the cap in anyway that it might collapse it. I might just try it though. THANKS guys.

Three44s
01-12-2009, 12:30 AM
I built an inline muzzleloader just to use up the ones I have here. If I manage to use up all 1500 or so I have I can always ream out the breech to take a 209. They work fine to set off black powder.

Or a breech plug made to order for an existing Muzzle loader???

Three 44s