PDA

View Full Version : Exploding Shotgun Shells OUTSIDE the barrel. Slow Motion. Trap,Buckshot and Slug. !!!

Conditor22
06-08-2021, 03:05 PM
Exploding Shotgun Shells OUTSIDE the barrel. Slow Motion. Trap,Buckshot and Slug. !!! EXPERIMENT !!!

!!! Warning !!! Read Before Playing Video !!!

This video was made under very controlled conditions, under the supervision of the shooting range administrator - do not reproduce it yourself !!!

This video serves as a demonstration of shooting, not the production of a weapon !!! (Experimental- Do not recreate)
I hope you enjoy the video. Thank you.

In this video you will see three different shotgun shells exploding outside the barrel. Trap,Buckshot and Slug.
What Happens? What powerful?
I used a Gopro Hero 9 camera for slow motion. 240 fps.

WARNING !!! This video is intended for scientific and entertaining purposes only. Any actions in this video shall not be a call to repeat them ! Do not try to do this at home, the author shall not be hold liable for any of your actions performed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-thbgj1nps0

Electrod47
06-08-2021, 03:18 PM
Interesting. Points to there should be little worry about shotgun shells cooking off in a house fire etc.

RKJ
06-08-2021, 03:39 PM
I was surprised the shot wasn’t more powerful than it was. I liked the video, well put together.

bakerjw
06-08-2021, 04:18 PM
Several years ago one of the home fire experimental labs did a lot of testing with detonation of different rounds in different scenarios. The end result? There is very little chance of serious injury if ammunition explodes in the case of a house fire or similar.

kayala
06-08-2021, 05:18 PM
I'm curious about coca-cola can saying "original" in Ukrainian :)

imashooter2
06-08-2021, 05:20 PM
SAAMI did extensive testing. Hundreds of pounds of various ammunition, shot shell and bulleted. The conclusion, there was no danger to firemen in standard turn out gear.

OS OK
06-08-2021, 06:07 PM
Very entertaining Jimbo...already saw the one about exploding ammo in a fire so I knew what to expect.

Ural Driver
06-08-2021, 06:14 PM
Many years back we did a similar demonstration for the Fire Department. It consisted of ammunition being placed on a pile of firewood which was set ablaze. It showed them that the biggest threat from burning ammunition was the brass cases. When (and if) the powder ignited, the (lighter) case became the "projectile" travelling further that the (heavier) bullet(s) in 99% of the cases.
Ref the video, it is informative for what it is. Showing these detonations without the retention device would likely show similar results to the testing I mentioned......the (now) empty hull would go one direction while the heavier shot/slug load would likely stay fairly close to its original position.....:coffeecom

Mk42gunner
06-08-2021, 07:12 PM
My computer doesn't like following youtube links in this browser for some unknown reason.

I have unintentionally set off a 12 gauge round with a riding lawnmower, (it must have fell out of the floorboard of the car or truck I was driving at the time). All it did was make a loud noise, nothing came out from under the deck. It does make me a bit leery of the new style decks with the discharge chute that covers a large section of the rightmost blade.

Not that I recommend anyone from doing this on purpose.

Robert

M-Tecs
06-08-2021, 07:54 PM
Haven't seen it done since the mid 70's but taping a marble or ball bearing on the primer and throwing it down on a hard surface would set it off. The shot normally stayed in the case and base would split open or the shot would basically stay put and the case would eject it's self off the shot and wad column. Same for shooting the primer with a pellet rifle.

The mass of the clamp holding the case to the firing mechanism not a very realistic scenario

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SlOXowwC4c

GregLaROCHE
06-08-2021, 10:54 PM
Interesting video. I’m surprised YouTube allowed it.

Texas by God
06-08-2021, 11:02 PM
In my staring into the campfire days of my youth, .22 ammo and shotgun shells occasionally chunked into the flames provided excitement but luckily no injuries. My best friend tossed in a .270 shell once and we all retreated and watched- the brass blew out of there fast enough to put it into bad idea category!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

BJK
06-08-2021, 11:05 PM
No surprises there at all. Of course the powder needs to be contained in a pressure vessel. The shell or cartridge (if metallic) is nothing more than a jig that holds everything in the proper relationship.

Land Owner
06-09-2021, 04:18 AM
Very quickly it could be predicted what the buck and trap loads would not do. The wad was traveling pretty fast though. Seeing every shell cocked was repetitive, though bare handed, a slip might be a bad day.

My son had a shotgun shell of #4 steel go off out of battery while partially chambered in a Win Model 1300. The Breech Bolt Slide locked up in mid-stroke. The metal tang of the Slide Arm Bridge had "jumped" forward of its intended groove. Following a gunsmith's evaluation, Winchester Warranty Service was contacted and they repaired/replaced several bent parts.

https://i.postimg.cc/d333WQfd/END-200x249.jpg .......... https://i.postimg.cc/nrWzNb8W/END2-200x214.jpg .......... https://i.postimg.cc/pVcpm89B/SIDE-200x189.jpg

kevin c
06-09-2021, 12:30 PM
Great and interesting video!

400,000 rounds...

*SOB*

kevin c
06-09-2021, 12:32 PM
The gravel surface on our bays is full of unfired rounds. On cold days when a burn barrel helps keep the range officers warm you can always tell the newbies from the grizzled old hands huddled around the barrel when a round lights off:

WHUMMMPHH!!!!

Newbie, jumping back ten feet,"OHMYGAWD!! What was that?".

Old timer, still warming his hands without even flinching, "Yeah, how 'bout them 'Niners?".

bluebird66
06-11-2021, 03:27 PM
Very interesting!

firefly1957
06-12-2021, 08:03 AM
I saw a similar video by a company that makes an alarm gun it had grooves like a shot shell press to slide shell in but worked the same . Pretty much same results except they had a couple black powder shells added in and they would do a bit more damage .

BNE
06-12-2021, 09:57 AM
This must be a fake video. I have seen lots of movies where Bullets where thrown into a fire and they went off like a machine gun.

jonp
06-13-2021, 03:23 PM
Very interesting. It mirrors reports of ammunition cooking off in a fire unable to penetrate sheetrock