View Full Version : Any thoughts on this??

WildmanJack
01-03-2009, 09:33 PM
I have a few Magma molds, a Saeco mold and just purchased a Lee mold. If I bottom pour the smaller (.357) mold. the boolets are great ( Iron Mold) If I Ladel pour them , they'r fantastic. Now If I bottom pour the Lee mold ( 255Gr. .452 dbl cvity) I get ok boolets but the rejection rate is around 40% ( if I'm really picky), So I started Ladel pouring my .452 Lee Mold. If I just pour the lead into the mold I get great boolets but if I place the ladle against the sprue hole, I get ( what I call) flash between the sprue plate and the top of the mold. I can't tighten the sprue plate down anymore than it is. So I'm open to suggestions, harrassment or what ever you would like to throw at me..
BTW this does not happen with any of my iron molds..
Jack

44man
01-03-2009, 09:40 PM
Sounds like the plate is not fit to the mold top. See if you can see light under it. Many times making the plate screw too tight will lift the other side of it.
It should help to lap it a little but be careful, lapping can cut the edges faster then the middle.

WildmanJack
01-03-2009, 09:47 PM
Duhhhh, why didn't I think of that before posting. I just looked at the mold and sure enough there was just a wee bit of light between the sprue plate and the mold.. Thanks for the info, I'll work on getting that plate to sit better.....
Sometimes I feel like a real dummy!!!!!!! :roll:
Jack

runfiverun
01-03-2009, 10:15 PM
also try holding your lee mold a little closer to the spout when bottom pouring.