PDA

View Full Version : GMC extended warranty

Battis
06-07-2021, 08:31 PM
The vehicle: 2018
miles now: 49,500
Current bumper to bumper runs out at 62,000 miles
Powertrain Certified Pre-owned warranty good to 100,000 miles
Now they dangle the GMC extended warranty (GMC, not a 3rd party). Have to decide before 50,000 miles
4 yrs or 60,000 miles $3200
5 yrs or 75,000 miles $4100

Covers everything but maintenance
loaner car during repairs, roadside assistance, etc.
no deductible
I once got ripped off by a 3rd party warranty but this is GMC. Tempting.
Any experiences with GMC warranties?

bakerjw
06-07-2021, 08:56 PM
I have a 2018 Ford F-150 bumping 11,000 miles. The B2B warranty was 36 months or 36K miles which is pathetic IMHO.
I'm looking at a 4 year 48K extended warranty for around $1,600. It is a Ford warranty and not some junk warranty which bit me once before.

Is that 4 years and another 60,000 miles making it good to 110,000 miles or just another 10,000 miles? If it is 4 years and up to 60,000 miles, that is not a good deal IMHO. I'd go talk to the dealership to get something better or let them know that a trade in on a new Nissan will give you 5 years 100K B2B.

It is a sellers market right now though.

rancher1913
06-07-2021, 08:57 PM
little off topic but how sad is it that a new car warranty does not even last the length of the loan to buy it.

we bought an extended warranty at the dealer when we bought a new toyota a few years ago, the ac went out and it was over 3 grand, the main warranty was gone but the extended warranty covered the repair, more than paid us back for the cost of the extra warranty. mostly I am not a fan of extended warranties but it seems new cars almost are guaranteed to need them.

Milsurp Junkie
06-07-2021, 09:05 PM
I will just say that extended warranties are one of the biggest cash cows for dealerships. When I worked for the G* company, they were trying to get a portion of that through the G*Certified program. The question is whether or not you are going to get your money's worth out of the $3000 or $4000 that you are going to put into it. Statistically, you won't...just like Vegas, the house always wins in the end.

Finster101
06-07-2021, 09:10 PM
What is the vehicle. Acadia, Sierra? I just retired from a GM dealership. I have been working as a tech for 40 years and I can tell you that I would get it if it's a GMPP policy. Just the cost of parts if something were to fail can add up quickly. I had my Dad buy it on his 08 Silverado even though I was working at the dealership. He got his moneys worth out of it.

Battis
06-07-2021, 09:20 PM
It's a Buick. 4 yrs or 60,000 miles would bring it up to 110,000 miles, 5 yrs would be 125,000 miles.
If I wait until the bumper to bumper runs out at 62,000 miles, the price will be alot higher.
We keep cars a long time. My other car is a 2005 Lincoln Towncar.
If I break it down, it's approx. $800 per year, $65 per month. All GM parts.
When I look at those numbers, and hear from a GM tech who says it's good, it does make sense.

garandsrus
06-07-2021, 09:47 PM
If you plan to keep the car that long, it’s probably a good deal. Almost any major repair will be in the thousands, so if you use it once, you got your money’s worth.

sigep1764
06-07-2021, 10:05 PM
Buy the 5 year and breathe. 125000 miles driven, sell it and be happy.

Battis
06-07-2021, 10:33 PM
I gotta call the dealer tomorrow and ask what happens if I don't make it that long...

reddog81
06-07-2021, 10:43 PM
I’d pass.

How much have you spent on that Lincoln in the last 4 years?

I’ve got a couple of cars all older than 2018 -2006 SLK280, 2006 Sprinter, 2002 Astro, 2016 Fiat 500L, 2008 Sportster and I haven’t spent $3,200 in repairs in the last 4 years.

Battis
06-07-2021, 10:50 PM
The Lincoln (107,000 miles) has been pricey. Example: it has air bag suspension in the rear. One of the posts that holds the airbag broke. A dealer wanted $3400 to fix it. A local mechanic welded a new one on for $1400. Looking back - yeah, it's been pricey.

It's one of those things that, if we do use it, we'll be glad we did buy it. If we don't, I'll moan about wasting the money.

Finster101
06-08-2021, 10:10 AM
You still didn't say what vehicle it was. They make several models in the Buick line. All platforms have common failures. I'm not saying all will fail but you tend to see the same things often enough. Why do you think dealership techs can do a six hour job in two hours? The first one probably took him seven to do, by them time he's done 10 or 20 he gotten pretty good at it and maybe bought special tools just for that job. If yu have a convertible anything, get the warranty.

Battis
06-08-2021, 10:16 AM
It's a 2018 Buick Regal TourX Essence. They only made them for two years (in Germany).

Finster101
06-08-2021, 10:27 AM
It's a 2018 Buick Regal TourX Essence. They only made them for two years (in Germany).

Okay, the wagon. Didn't see a lot of them. Just in general any kind of module failure, window motor, or seat motor can add up quickly if you are paying out of pocket.

Battis
06-08-2021, 10:30 AM
It's a great car, a real crowd pleaser. A guy came up to me once and asked if he could take a pic of it. People tailgate me on the highway for a minute or two until they figure out what it is, then they back off.
I'm thinking 4 yrs, 60,000 miles makes sense.

bakerjw
06-08-2021, 11:11 AM
$68.00 a month for the long term coverage isn't too bad. Especially if something catastrophic happens.
I don't put many miles on a vehicle a year which kind of irritates me that it'll take me 9 years to reach 36K miles yet the B2B is done in 3.
If you (GM, Ford, FCA, etc...) cannot make a vehicle last for 36K miles without a major failure, then something is wrong.

Burnt Fingers
06-08-2021, 11:15 AM
Shop around. You don't have to buy the extended warranty from the local dealer. There are dealers that specialize in selling these things.

You can probably cut the stated amount in half.

For instance. When I bought my Ram 2500 with the Cummins in 2014 I paid $1700 for the extended warranty.

Battis
06-08-2021, 11:25 AM
I bought a used car extended warranty from the Lincoln dealer when I bought the Towncar (33,000 miles on it at the time). But, it was a 3rd party warranty. I pointed out that the air bag suspension post had some rust on it. Don't worry - if it goes, we'll cover it. Well, it went. Did they cover it? No. Why not? It was rusty.
I could shop around but cutting the price in half? That'd be nice, but I don't see that happening.

rcslotcar
06-08-2021, 11:50 AM
First verify that they will use "New GM" parts. This is important because most likely in case of a catastrophic failure they will use a rebuilt engine or transmission not new. Bringing this to their attention could reduce the coverage cost greatly. Also shop around for other warranty business's. Armed with an hour of knowledge could save you easily $1000-1500. I know at my age with my tools I can't work on the newer computer driven cars/trucks. Good luck with your course of action.

Finster101
06-08-2021, 01:00 PM
If it is GMPP they are required to use new GM parts. The one he describes is basically an extension of the bumper to bumper warranty. Reaching 3 years before 36k has good and bad points. Some things like electric motors and seals do not like not being used. I am not defending any auto company, just stating what I have seen in many, many years in a dealership garage.

There are few if any aftermarket warranties that I would recommend.

Battis
06-08-2021, 01:14 PM
I called a few other GM dealers and so far, only one has spoken to me. And this dealer offers a 3rd party warranty. not the GMPP.
Maybe the others will call me back.

Handloader109
06-08-2021, 02:10 PM
NO. Don't spend that kind of money on ANY extended warranties. Never Worth it. If you are worried about the truck or car failing, put that $3800. in the bank. And then use it to buy another vehicle later. Don't flush it down the toilet.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Handloader109
06-08-2021, 02:15 PM
Oh, and unless it stated that it will use only gm parts specifically in the warrant IN WRITING, don't believe the sheister selling the warranty.
They will say anything to sell you the warranty. 99% of the people buying the warranty will get Nothing out of it. Too many ways to avoid paying out.

bakerjw
06-08-2021, 07:18 PM
Avoid 3rd party at all costs... IMHO

myg30
06-09-2021, 08:23 AM
Keep us posted on how this works out for you Battis. I dropped GM long ago, 1981 Chevy Malibu with the 3.8 L - V6 that had the soft cam lobe issues. With only 38k it was making lots noise and the dealer would not cover us because we had NO Proof of the frequency of oil changes and back then I always changed our oils at 3k miles, didn’t know I had to have the dealer do my changes at the much inflated prices back then in NY. Didn’t have the money or time to fight it.

I’m at the same spot now with my vehicle and I’m thinking about the Extended Warranty.
I’m going to start an F-150 thread.

Mike

Battis
06-09-2021, 09:49 AM
An extended warranty is like home insurance, car insurance, cripes it's like having a gun. Hopefully, you'll never need any of them, but if you do it's good to have them. That's if they do what they're supposed to do. I got royally screwed by the 3rd party warranty on the Lincoln. If I do the GM warranty I'll do the 4 yr 60,000 miles, not the 5 yr 75,000 miles. Hopefully, whatever goes wrong with the car will be covered. Hopefully is the key word...

downzero
06-09-2021, 10:55 AM
NO. Don't spend that kind of money on ANY extended warranties. Never Worth it. If you are worried about the truck or car failing, put that $3800. in the bank. And then use it to buy another vehicle later. Don't flush it down the toilet.

That was my thought. Either profit from keeping your own $3800 or even if you have to do a substantial repair, you probably won't be out $3800.

If they couldn't profit on these warranties, they wouldn't be selling them to you.

Battis
06-09-2021, 12:13 PM
If they couldn't profit on these warranties, they wouldn't be selling them to you.

I get it and I agree. But, the same could be said for home owners insurance, car insurance, etc.
It's $3200. Doesn't take much to eat up that amount.

reddog81
06-09-2021, 05:42 PM
There are requirements for homeowners and car insurance. Banks require that you have home owners insurance if you have a mortgage. Lenders require full coverage for auto loans otherwise the state has their minimums to cover damage from accidents. Dealers sell these warranties because of fear.

If I thought there was a even a slight chance a 2018 vehicle was going to need that much in repairs in the next 4 years I'd buy something more reliable. I've never bought a car that was less than 5 years old and have never needed that much in repairs in a 4 year span. I've owned Ford, Nissan, Chevy, BMW, Dodge and my current daily driver is a 2006 Mercedes.

It sounds like you already had a bad experience with your last warranty. Now you're going to get a more expensive one. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice...

Battis
06-09-2021, 07:32 PM
I wasn't fooled the first time- I was lied to, and basically screwed. And, it was more money.
Car insurance is not mandatory in New Hampshire, and I live on the MA/NH border. We got hit a few years ago in the Lincoln by an uninsured NH driver. I carry extra insurance because of that, and it paid off.
Believe me, I do not trust car dealers. I do not want to buy an extended warranty. Buy a more reliable vehicle? Like what? How do you ever know?
It's basically an insurance policy against expensive repairs. If I never need it, will I be ticked of? Naw.

snowwolfe
06-11-2021, 08:19 AM
Battis,
Try to find a forum where owners of the same vehicle meet. There is always a group of owners who know about the extended warrantys and generally they recommend a dealer or two who offer the best price. They are easy to purchase, pay for it by telephone and they enter your VIN in the GM computer data base.

MT Gianni
06-11-2021, 03:34 PM
You need to decide if it would be a hardship or an inconvenience to walk away from the vehicle, or trade it at a loss if needed.

Handloader109
06-11-2021, 04:44 PM
Yes, I pay roughly $2k a year for home insurance. Way to easy to have a loss that eats that or a lot more quickly in a home. Auto REPAIR insurance along with the new home REPAIR insurance are both more scam than real. Truly, if you think a car won't go 100k miles without a $4k repair, you SHOULD find another vehicle. I've owned a lot of cars and trucks, some real lemons, but not a one has cost me $4000 that would be covered by any warranty. But it is your money to spend. I still say take that $100 a month you will be paying and put it in the bank.... But that is the REAL issue, saving that $100 rather than just writing a check including that money each month...

reddog81
06-11-2021, 10:22 PM
I do not want to buy an extended warranty. Buy a more reliable vehicle? Like what? How do you ever know?

There are numerous websites that give reviews and ratings on cars. It used to be consumer reports magazine or other similar automotive publications. You can get a real good idea on what cars will have a variety of problems versus the ones that are typically trouble free. Any manufacturer can have a lemon once in a while but an hour or two of research will help weed out the cars that most likely to need serious repairs.

downzero
06-11-2021, 10:33 PM
I get it and I agree. But, the same could be said for home owners insurance, car insurance, etc.
It's $3200. Doesn't take much to eat up that amount.

Yeah, but these cost a tiny fraction of what the loss could be. He's paying for an engine replacement before the engine even throws a rod, knowing that the possibility of it doing so is extremely small.

I'd save the money and put it aside for potential repairs.

Randy Bohannon
06-12-2021, 07:29 AM
One trip back to the dealership for your diesel will be no less than $5G’s if it goes kaput. Get the factory extended warranty.