PDA

View Full Version : A question about jacketed bullets

JohnH
01-04-2006, 08:48 PM
Yeah, my sheilds are up, so cast all the stones you want :) But has anyone out there used the Hawk custom bullets?

buck1
01-04-2006, 10:40 PM
Your brave!! LOL....I havent tryed them , but I hear they are pretty good. FWIW ....Buck

kciH
01-05-2006, 02:01 AM
There is a pretty good review of their performance by Alyeska338 on the www.beartoothbullets.com forum re: their performance on African plains game. Be sure to check out the review in the African Hunting sub-forum re: his hunt in Zim. It's near the bottom of the list, so keep on scrollin'

I'm a newcomer here, but I don't figure it would hurt to steer a member to a place with a little more input on the condoms.

Blackwater
01-05-2006, 10:00 PM
John, I've been waiting to see if someone else who's actually used them would speak up, but I'd want this info if the shoe was on the other foot, even if it IS just hearsay. I've heard of at least one fellow who reported on the 'net that he had some with the open base, and one blew the core out the barrel and left the jacket in the bore.

Again, I have no personal knowledge of this, wasn't there, didn't see it, but it's not unthinkable that this could happen, and the report sure sounded "right" for it to have been true. Kodiak also makes bullets somewhat similar to Hawk's, and you might want to look into them. They have regular gilding metal jackets instead of plain copper, and I've heard no bad reports on them.

Just an FWIW hearsay report for you. Like I said, were the shoe on the other foot, I'd want someone to at least let me know of such, even if it was a very rare occurance.

kciH
01-05-2006, 10:32 PM
My mistake....the link I offered was related to the performance of North Fork bullets.

Sorry about that.

JohnH
01-05-2006, 11:01 PM
Thanks. Figured a cast boolit board was a strange place to ask about condoms, but you guys have always shot straight with me, so figured I'd ask. Am looking for a soft 375 bullet to play with some in my 375 JDJ.Have been hoping to find something soft and heavy, but seems no one makes such a bullet. Light and soft, yes. Heavy and soft???? Nada. Seems everyone thinks that 375 bore means magnum. Oh well, you'll have that.

buck1
01-06-2006, 12:05 AM
Heavy and soft???? I know its not what your asking about but But cast boolits seems to be screaming "pick me." If its jacketed you want Nosler partition may be worth a look if you havent looked already. .....Buck

kciH
01-06-2006, 04:13 AM
You would be well served to take a look at the North Fork bullets, they will expand at pretty low velocity levels...but they are not inexpensive.

The Nyack Kid
01-06-2006, 12:59 PM
all i know about Hawk is that they are a good sourse for odd ball diameter bullets and wheights. the thin jacketed hawks are soft all right .
I heard from a good freind and VERY good gunsmith that the hawks copper foul worse than Barnes (and Barnes foul bad in every thing i have shot them out of .) the thin jacket hawks are IMO copper colored shinny PP boolits with out the P .

onceabull
01-06-2006, 01:56 PM
JohnH: can't tell how heavy your looking for,but you try the Barnes Original 255 gr(the one intended for the 375 Win...Hawks are darn expensive for what you get,so my experience is only with the "exotic" calibers.... Onceabull