PDA

View Full Version : Advice

Gtrubicon
06-05-2021, 11:03 PM
Alright, I have found a T/C Seneca rifle, I have not laid eyes on it yet. My LGS called me today to let me know they have it on consignment. I have a 30+year history with this shop. They tell me it’s an 85-90% rifle. It is a 45, which is what I want. They have a price of $540 for the rifle. I wanted to buy it sight unseen instantly, I have grown to trust the opinions here, I am in Northern California, this isn’t Muzzleloading territory, from my last several months of research I’m not worried about the price, what I’m asking for is what should I be looking for, They don’t open back up till Tuesday, so I’m hoping to get there to view, I just want to know what I should be looking for, I Will shoot and hunt with this rifle. I’m not looking for a collection piece. It will be my first muzzleloader.

frogleg
06-05-2021, 11:48 PM
Look down the barrel with a strong light it should be real clean for that price, and make sure that you can remove the Nipple, and check the stock for cracks at the bolt that holds the Lock in to the stock. Those are nice rifles, they are lighter than the Hawken but a little more delicate also.

GregLaROCHE
06-06-2021, 02:31 AM
If you’re buying from a gun shop, especially one you’ve dealt with for all that time, they should be able to assure you that it is in good working order. I’ve learned over the years, that’s is best to pay a little more for a gun, if it’s in really good condition.

Edward
06-06-2021, 06:04 AM
Make sure you pull the lock 1st , if neglected that and the bore using a bore light will tell the condition . If you lack a bore light pick up a archery( lighted nock) and use it ,check trigger for function .Other than that appearance will tell how it was maintained/Ed

Sasquatch-1
06-06-2021, 07:40 AM
When you go to look at it ask if the shop has an endoscope so you can check the barrel. Plus 1 on the lock. Pull it and make sure there is no sign of corrosion.

Maven
06-06-2021, 09:08 AM
Yes! to all of the above, but shoulder it before you buy as the T/C stock doesn't fit everyone. Also, .440" T/C RB moulds are plentiful and reasonably priced (or were, pre-pandemic) because they are anodized aluminum vs. "iron." Btw, I owned a ca. 1977 version that was beautifully made and a tack driver.

Gtek
06-06-2021, 11:40 AM
Loosen screw of cocked lock about two to three turns, VERY gently tap/bump to dislodge lock. Pull screw and then remove lock STRAIGHT out, using the hammer as a handle can blow wood around lock if not very careful. I would also pull rod and run a patch for feel along with visual, pop pin and remove barrel for visual under wood line. For that amount it should be pretty nice! If that is what you are really looking for you will enjoy.

Sasquatch-1
06-07-2021, 06:47 AM
I would also pull rod and run a patch for feel along with visual,

Just a small note here. If you use this method make sure to put a little lube of some kind on the patch. I did this at a pawn shop with a dry patch and we were lucky to finally get the rod out.

charlie b
06-07-2021, 08:29 AM
If I want to inspect the innards of a gun at a gun shop I ask the shop person to disassemble it for me. That way if something breaks (or falls out) I don't have to buy it.

pietro
06-07-2021, 09:51 AM

FWIW, I have two Seneca's ( .36 & .45) and a .45 Cherokee - and have owned/sold several others (one was a .32 from T/C's Fox River Custom Shop that was hard to load due to my fat fingers).

If the exterior looks OK, and the bore's rust-free, the only thing to check is for a cracked stock - other than that, you should be good to go.

The Cherokee/Seneca is much smaller than the larger Hawken/Renegade, and will readily crack the stock if it was shot with Hawken type/approved loads.

The Cherokee/Patriot/Seneca also uses a smaller nipple (Track of the Wolf has them) - so if there's a removal issue, it's not a big deal to drill out the old nipple, pick the threads & install a new nipple with an anti-seize compound on the threads.

Gtrubicon
06-09-2021, 10:08 PM
Well I looked at the Seneca, what a light comfortable rifle. The bore was rusted, along with everything else important, I politely passed. I am having a hard time making up my mind. I have two choices, the Pedersoli 45 scout and the new version of the Lyman Great Plains by Pedersoli, in .50 cal. Both seem like a good choice, what do you fellas have to say?

sghart3578
06-09-2021, 10:22 PM
I have the Lyman Great Plains in 54 cal. The one with the slow twist for round ball. It is not as light as a Seneca but it is accurate ad dependable.

It has a patent breech which takes a little time to get used to when it comes to cleaning but not a big deal.

Mine was built before the Pedersoli days.

Steve in N CA

Sasquatch-1
06-10-2021, 07:53 AM
Well I looked at the Seneca, what a light comfortable rifle. The bore was rusted, along with everything else important, I politely passed. I am having a hard time making up my mind. I have two choices, the Pedersoli 45 scout and the new version of the Lyman Great Plains by Pedersoli, in .50 cal. Both seem like a good choice, what do you fellas have to say?

Rock Island auction has a sale going on right now. You may want to check there, but do it quick. As said it is going on right now.

pietro
06-10-2021, 09:36 AM
Well I looked at the Seneca, what a light comfortable rifle, I politely passed.

I am having a hard time making up my mind.

I have two choices, the Pedersoli 45 scout and the new version of the Lyman Great Plains by Pedersoli, in .50 cal.

Both seem like a good choice, what do you fellas have to say ?

Nobody can make your mind up for you...…

However, IME there's no comparison of either to a Seneca, in either weight or handiness.

Here's a nice .45 Seneca F/S: https://www.armslist.com/posts/11397743/akron-muzzle-loaders-for-sale--thompson-center-seneca--45-cal---nice-one-

Here's a nice/plainer .45 Cherokee F/S: https://www.armslist.com/posts/10556454/canton-ohio-muzzle-loaders-for-sale-trade--thompson-center-cherokee-45-cal

Gtrubicon
06-15-2021, 09:56 PM
What is your opinion on the investarms Hawken? I can’t find any information on the sights, do any of you have one ?

Mr Peabody
06-15-2021, 11:12 PM
What is your opinion on the investarms Hawken? I can’t find any information on the sights, do any of you have one ?

Had one years ago(.54). Very reliable, sturdy and accurate with conicals. The stock layout beat the pieces out of me, I wouldn't get another because of that.

mooman76
06-16-2021, 08:39 AM
I have one. It's a Cabelas model. Their guns use to be made by Investarms. Bought mine used about 30 years ago. Mine has two barrels, 50 & 58. I like it very much, it's one of the better guns I own of all the more than a dz BP guns. It's accurate and has no issues,

Gtrubicon
06-16-2021, 11:10 AM
Well I ordered the Investarms Bridger Hawken in 45 cal.

idahoron
06-21-2021, 08:48 AM
I have two choices, the Pedersoli 45 scout and the new version of the Lyman Great Plains by Pedersoli, in .50 cal. Both seem like a good choice, what do you fellas have to say?

I personally don't like guns with a drum like the Pedersoli Lyman. I have had one CVA rifle with a drum that the drum blew out. I have heard of several others that have.

Gtrubicon
06-21-2021, 11:21 PM
Well the rifle was delivered today, it’s a very good looking rifle, it will definitely be hanging on the wall in the living room. I hope to shoot it on Wednesday.

Gtrubicon
06-28-2021, 10:40 PM
I got to shoot it this weekend, it was great. The gun is very accurate thus far. I need to extend the range I was shooting it at. I did a ladder test from 55 to 70 grains by volume Goex ffg, at 25 yds it likes the 55 to 60 grain range. I had many three shot groups with shots overlapping one another. I started with .445 rb with a .10 spit patch. The gun fits me well, this weekend I hope to try .440 Rb, I also have fffg Goex that I plan to do a ladder test with. All in all I really enjoy shooting this rifle.

sharps4590
06-29-2021, 06:57 AM
Great!! Glad you're enjoying the rifle. I've had I guess 3-4, T/C's over the decades and a Seneca in 36 cal. is the only one I wish I'd kept. I don't miss any of the other clubs.

Ithaca Gunner
06-29-2021, 10:10 AM
I think the Seneca and New Englander were their best looking rifles.

KCSO
06-29-2021, 03:08 PM
Call Upper Missouri Trading Co in Crofton Ne and ask him to mail you a bore light. This is a small flash light 22 caliber or so that drops down the bore and you will use the heck out of it from now on. Nice to check how clean you got the gun, you see the bore top to bottom.

quilbilly
06-30-2021, 01:24 PM
You will enjoy your .45. I have both a Seneca and Cherokee in .45 and love them both. I have taken many deer with both using PRB and 55 gr of 3F Goex.

Nit Wit
07-30-2021, 09:12 PM
Drop a AAA battery down the bore and shine a flashlight on it. It had better be 99% for that price.
Nit Wit

pietro
07-31-2021, 01:44 AM

The OP didn't buy a T/C Seneca, but bought instead the Investarms Bridger Hawken in 45 cal

rfd
08-09-2021, 08:36 PM
It's a shame when a newbie to sidelock muzzleloaders gets the bug to own/shoot one. Most are wide eyed on gun looks and ready to plunk down the bucks without really getting all the important scoop on what's involved once they have their treasure in hand. Kinda like getting a first dog for the family - there are proper things to know before adopting either a puppy or a trad muzzy. I wish this thread's OP best of luck with his Bridger Hawken rifle.

Sasquatch-1
08-10-2021, 07:21 AM
It's a shame when a newbie to sidelock muzzleloaders gets the bug to own/shoot one... I wish this thread's OP best of luck with his Bridger Hawken rifle.

It's a "Gateway Drug".[smilie=1:

Gtrubicon
08-10-2021, 11:04 AM
The Bridger hawken is proving to be a nice rifle. I also came into a CVA mountain rifle, barrel stamped Made in USA. It’s also a45 cal. It is a much better fitting rifle for me, very slim feeling and a natural pointer. It’s also very accurate. Oh and there is a 45cal T/C Cherokee on a fed x truck heading to me as we speak!

pietro
08-10-2021, 06:29 PM

Yep, you're addicted, fer sure.... ;) :bigsmyl2:

Gtrubicon
08-10-2021, 06:47 PM

Yep, you're addicted, fer sure.... ;) :bigsmyl2:

Oh yeah, it’s to fun! Next thing to obsess about will be a 36cal rifle.

mooman76
08-10-2021, 07:51 PM
36 are hard to come by but you can get one if you look hard. A few years back I got 36 stuck in my brain. Had to have one but didn't want to spend the $ for a new one to just get a plinker. 2 deals fell through and I forgot about it for awhile but eventually got one. I bought it from someone that bought it used second hand and he said he never even fired it because he didn't like the way it shouldered for him.

When I got it, accuracy was not very good and it was literally destroying patches. The more I shot it though, the better it got. I lapped the barrel and that helped allot. The rifling was crisp and I believe it was never even broken in yet.

waksupi
08-11-2021, 12:37 PM
Call Upper Missouri Trading Co in Crofton Ne and ask him to mail you a bore light. This is a small flash light 22 caliber or so that drops down the bore and you will use the heck out of it from now on. Nice to check how clean you got the gun, you see the bore top to bottom.

I found bores copes on Ebay for about $12 each. I keep one in the truck and the car so I always have them at a gun show. Plug them into your phone, and get a good look at the insides.