PDA

View Full Version : top punch replacement

doulos
06-05-2021, 10:05 PM
I have been sizing some bullets I casted with a mold from Accurate mold. It came with a aluminum top punch that is .300 across its face. The punch was almost impossible to remove after using it for about 300 bullets. I buggered getting it removed. I want to replace it with a flat faced steel punch. Anyone know which Lyman that would be? Or are there other alternatives?

Mk42gunner
06-06-2021, 12:54 AM
I use a one inch long section of ¼" rod as a top punch for about 99% of my lubing and sizing. It even works on RN boolits, but I generally use wheel weights as my main alloy.

Robert

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-06-2021, 03:31 PM
I used a 1/4 hex bolt with shoulder for a DIY flat top punch...I faced the head and reduced the diameter with my cheapo china drill press.

gwpercle
06-11-2021, 07:18 PM
I have been sizing some bullets I casted with a mold from Accurate mold. It came with a aluminum top punch that is .300 across its face. The punch was almost impossible to remove after using it for about 300 bullets. I buggered getting it removed. I want to replace it with a flat faced steel punch. Anyone know which Lyman that would be? Or are there other alternatives?

If you have a Lyman top punch you don't use , just fill the existing cavity with epoxy putty , JB Weld or any Epoxy , let cure then sand / file dead flat ... there you have a flat top punch .
I usually do this to RN punches because I use SWC and WC mostly ...and in a pinch you can seat RN boolits with a flat punch ... doesn't hurt a thing!
Gary

Cosmic_Charlie
06-21-2021, 06:14 AM
Seems strange that the punch would have become stuck in the ram. Did you over tighten the hex screw?

MT Gianni
06-21-2021, 12:20 PM
If you don't want to turn down a 1/4" bolt try a #8 punch for 3118 or 311008. It should be close.

MT Gianni
06-21-2021, 12:22 PM
Seems strange that the punch would have become stuck in the ram. Did you over tighten the hex screw?

Mine do on occasion on both Ly and RCBS sizers. I grab them with a pair of pliers around the edge and raise the ram to the top. They eject easily.

Madisonian
06-21-2021, 04:17 PM
It's a shame that vendors don't describe the contours of these in their catalogs. It turns out it's perhaps the most trivial piece of casting equipment on a lathe, but that's only useful if you have a lathe, I know. I have no idea why someone would make these of aluminum.

I would look for a mold that has the same approximate nose dimension as yours, and look up the top punch for that mold. Steel punches from RCBS, Lyman, et.al., are a $10 item these days, it seems. (Overpriced, in my opinion.) For cheapest including shipping see used items on eBay.

zarrinvz24
06-21-2021, 04:26 PM
Hollowpoint mold has flat top punches for sale $5. It’s been on my list for some time but the shipping alone is what has stopped me from ordering. I’m going to send two molds in for Erik to HP soon, I’ll have it shipped with them on their return trip.

doulos
06-22-2021, 04:41 PM
This was a top punch that came with a Accurate mold. I finally got it out and had to take a file to it to reduce the diameter a bit. This thing would be a bear to remove without doing that. Maybe I did over tighten the hex screw. But I dont think so. Never had a problem with opther top punches. My Lymans go in and out no problem.
I already have replacements coming from Grafs.

Cosmic_Charlie
06-23-2021, 09:53 AM
This was a top punch that came with a Accurate mold. I finally got it out and had to take a file to it to reduce the diameter a bit. This thing would be a bear to remove without doing that. Maybe I did over tighten the hex screw. But I dont think so. Never had a problem with opther top punches. My Lymans go in and out no problem.
I already have replacements coming from Grafs.

I got a flat top set coming from Accurate. Will report when I use them.

gwpercle
06-23-2021, 07:54 PM
Mine do on occasion on both Ly and RCBS sizers. I grab them with a pair of pliers around the edge and raise the ram to the top. They eject easily.

Same here ... I have one that was used and left in a 450 for years ... I didn't think I was ever going to get that sap-sucker out ... it still bears the scars of the pliers teeth ...
The lesson should be ... lube and remove them every so often ... they will get stuck !
Gary

ozonebob
06-24-2021, 01:02 AM
Hi Doulos,
To answer your question, SAECO makes a line of top punches that fit the Lyman/RCBS lubesizers. They are steel, and the flat nosed versions are designated by the suffix 200, preceded by the caliber, e.g. 35200, which would fit a 35 caliber bullet. Like I say, the punches are flat across the nose and can be used for any bullet with a flat meplat. I got mine from MidwayUSA, ranging in sizes from 22 to 45 cal.
Ozonebob

Tar Heel
06-24-2021, 05:43 AM
I use the Accurate top punch. You can watch the bullets auto-center.

https://youtu.be/IxR3hzUOonM

clarksvillejoe
06-25-2021, 10:57 AM
Have a friend with lathe make you one. Don't ask how I know.