PDA

View Full Version : remove/replace fiber cushion on Remington Model 11

Tippet
01-03-2009, 07:07 PM
I just bought a rem 11 off gunbroker, and I've been voraciously reading everything I can find about it. I even got a the owners manual in PDF.

Apparantly among the most common problems has to do with people shooting heavy loads (or magnums) with the friction rings improperly set. It's important to set the friction ring system for the load being used. If the recoil isn't properly managed, the bolt slamming back too hard can damage the fiber buffer pad that's riveted to the rear of the receiver, and once the bolt starts slamming into metal it tends to crack on the lower left side.

I'm pretty sure if my soon-to-be delivered 11 has this problem, I'll be able to drill out and remove the damaged pad and rivet. Replacement pads and rivets are easy to find. What I don't know for sure is, how would I reset the new rivet? I don't think my cheesy pop-riveter will do it. Is it a matter of just holding the rivet in place while I beat on it with a hammer and punch? Or is the backside of the rivet accessable to expand with a tapered punch?