PDA

View Full Version : columbia coatings powder - worth trying?

dogmower
06-05-2021, 02:45 PM
I'm looking for a red powder coat that works with the shake n bake method, without too much shaking (lazy).
Anyone ever used columbia coatings powders? I just found out about them and they seem reasonably priced.

bangerjim
06-05-2021, 02:49 PM
I HIGHLY recommend sticking with powders that have been proven to work time and time again, like Smoke's powders on here. Especially with the unpredictable shake-n-bake method you plan on using!!!

But please feel free to try unproven powders and let us know how they work.

Txcowboy52
06-05-2021, 03:31 PM
I have used some of their colors, but not the red, I have yet to find a red that I feel is satisfactory with the shake and bake method. Let us know if you find one!

bangerjim
06-05-2021, 06:00 PM
I and many other kind souls on this forum started out way back in 2013, or there abouts, developing the shake-n-bake coating technology, and I had GREAT success with HF red. Coated perfectly every time. I have no idea whether HF even sells powders anymore, as I have not been in one of their stores in over 2+ years. I now spend my money on high quality tools and supplies.

Today, I use only ESPC spay guns for ALL powders, and they ALL coat perfectly, as that is the method they were engineered to be applied with. Shake-n-bake is a poor-man's "hold your mouth just right during the correct phase of the moon" method we came up with to help people that could not afford the $200-400 cost of an ESPC system at the time.

banger

charlie b
06-05-2021, 10:25 PM
Why not just buy from Smoke?

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?252509-VS-Hi-Quality-Powdercoating-Powder-For-sale

Burnt Fingers
06-06-2021, 01:46 PM
https://roseyspowdercoating.com/products/astatic-red

That right there is my favorite red.

It works like a champ using shake and bake.

Muser
07-18-2021, 01:42 AM
Burnt Fingers, that deep cherry red looks great. But $12.35 a pound, phew...
Still I may have to try it after I see how my pound of red from "The Powdercoat Store works with S&B.