PDA

View Full Version : Midwayusa m1 carbines

c0wb0y84
06-03-2021, 07:47 PM
Well they finally put some pictures and prices up. Can’t say I’m surprised but don’t think I’ll be ordering one.

marlin39a
06-03-2021, 08:54 PM
I priced a very good Rockola, no bayonet lug. $2000.00. No, thank you.

Multra
06-03-2021, 09:15 PM
I'll get a bottom of the barrel inland to act as a host for the m2 trigger pack I have sitting in jail. Prices are pretty crazy though.

MrWolf
06-03-2021, 09:25 PM
Watch how fast they sell out.

Norcal707
06-03-2021, 09:59 PM
Ol' Larry says he's not going to bother with the trouble of jumping thru a few hoops to sell to us behind the lines here in Kalifornistan... :x

Lloyd Smale
06-04-2021, 07:33 AM
for half that i might bite. Someone is making some serious money off of those.

kayala
06-04-2021, 09:06 AM
I'm pretty sure they'd sell but I will pass at that price.

dverna
06-04-2021, 09:49 AM
All are "temporarily unavailable", but no great loss as prices are too high for me. It is at best an $800 rifle IMO.

Jtarm
06-04-2021, 09:51 AM
Yep, even at those prices they’ll disappear like spit on a hot griddle.

starnbar
06-04-2021, 10:53 AM
Well if they were arsenal refinished and NRA very good condition yes but these were just taken off a rack and put in a crate

shdwlkr
06-04-2021, 11:03 AM
you can buy a new one for what old Larry wants to sell you an off the rack one

Markopolo
06-04-2021, 11:07 AM
i looked and did not see any prices...

Cargo
06-04-2021, 11:52 AM
Really happy I picked up a like new Auto Ordnance last March for $600

Multra
06-04-2021, 11:55 AM
i looked and did not see any prices...

https://www.midwayusa.com/military-surplus-guns/br?cid=24008

jdfoxinc
06-04-2021, 03:30 PM
Check out classic firearms. Might be less.

444ttd
06-04-2021, 03:35 PM
no, heck no!!!!!!

c0wb0y84
06-05-2021, 10:40 PM
All are "temporarily unavailable", but no great loss as prices are too high for me. It is at best an $800 rifle IMO.

They don't go on sale until tuesday I believe. They just put up the picks and prices for what they feel like is a teaser.

35 Whelen
06-06-2021, 01:47 AM
Yep....you fellas sit back and wait for prices on these to go down.....:kidding:

35W

dverna
06-06-2021, 02:03 AM
Yep....you fellas sit back and wait for prices on these to go down.....:kidding:

35W

I suppose a smart person would buy a half dozen as an investment.....LOL.

35 Whelen
06-06-2021, 03:22 AM
I suppose a smart person would buy a half dozen as an investment.....LOL.

Unless you've been under a rock, you'll notice the prices of Carbine's have been climbing for the last few years and have skyrocketed in the last few months.

I gave $900 each for two Carbines a year ago. Based on Midway's lowest grade (Fair to Good), today one would sell for around $1150, the other $1250. (Realistically mine would grade Good to Very Good). Earlier this year I bought an Inland through an online auction and gave $900, shot and piddled with it some and sold it a few weeks later for a bit north of $1100 for a $200 net gain. Conversely, my savings account, a liquid asset, is paying .10% interest and last year I made $27.67 in interest.....on a 5-figure savings account.

So actually a smart person would've bought a half dozen crates of them a year ago and been sitting on a very nice, easy gain on their investment and I assure you Midway will sell every last one of those Carbines.

There's some "LOL" for you...

35W

GhostHawk
06-06-2021, 08:14 AM
Friend of mine just bought an Inland at LGS for 1400$ Very good bore, good wood, good shape. Only downcheck was the front handguard on top was loose. He has not found any ammo for yet so he has not shot it yet. But he is pleased.

Gtek
06-06-2021, 11:16 AM
A VERY CAREFUL tweaking of the metal tab riveted at rear of that top wood will fix it up.

dverna
06-06-2021, 12:07 PM
Unless you've been under a rock, you'll notice the prices of Carbine's have been climbing for the last few years and have skyrocketed in the last few months.

I gave $900 each for two Carbines a year ago. Based on Midway's lowest grade (Fair to Good), today one would sell for around $1150, the other $1250. (Realistically mine would grade Good to Very Good). Earlier this year I bought an Inland through an online auction and gave $900, shot and piddled with it some and sold it a few weeks later for a bit north of $1100 for a $200 net gain. Conversely, my savings account, a liquid asset, is paying .10% interest and last year I made $27.67 in interest.....on a 5-figure savings account.

So actually a smart person would've bought a half dozen crates of them a year ago and been sitting on a very nice, easy gain on their investment and I assure you Midway will sell every last one of those Carbines.

There's some "LOL" for you...

35W

The view from under my rock is different. I stopped investing in most guns when I realized there is greater upside in ammunition and components if someone waits for the cycles (easy 100% return if not more). The only downside is that a few folks label me a hoarder and scalper. Some think I am prepared. Oh well.

As to the Midway offerings, I doubt anyone buying them will net a 20% return for years. Those that already have a couple will benefit from the madness, but buying high generally is not a good strategy.

So how many are you planning on buying?

Light attack
06-06-2021, 03:13 PM
If it sells at $1500, then it's a $1500 gun.

HATCH
06-06-2021, 04:08 PM
the market will determine the price.
I attempted to sell my Inland mid-80s import for $1100 and didn't get any bites last year.
I was told it was over priced. So it went back into the safe.

JMax
06-06-2021, 06:22 PM
Gag

dverna
06-06-2021, 06:27 PM
the market will determine the price.
I attempted to sell my Inland mid-80s import for $1100 and didn't get any bites last year.
I was told it was over priced. So it went back into the safe.

Agree...but a wise man knows when to ignore the market and wait it out. Market price for primers a few months ago was over $200/k. Only desperate people were paying that. Guns and gun stuff are not necessities so if the market is nuts, waiting for the panic to die down makes sense.

These Midway M1's seem overpriced but all of them will be sold. Like I said in my previous post, guys like you can benefit as you have one to sell that did not cost you $1500. As an investment, I do not see much upside in them at Midway pricing. Just checked Gunbroker and guns with bids are in the $1200 range.

I remember basic AR's going for $1500 and HC mags for over $30 during the last scare. Now they are half that price. Sometimes the market is on fire. But that is when to cash in....not buy.

2A-Jay
06-06-2021, 06:31 PM
At first I was excited (been in the market for one for a few years, I have 200 rounds of new LC .30carbine ammo. Not going to pay Midways ransom for one though. I know where I can get an Auto-Ordinance for under $500.

ShooterAZ
06-06-2021, 06:42 PM
This Midway sale differs from some of the previous CMP offers because of the wide variety of different manufactures available to chose from. I have no idea of the provenance or authenticity of any of these, but there may be some real gems in the mix. At the same time, there may be some real dogs too. I'm not going to go for any because the import marks are a deal breaker for me, at the prices they are asking.

Bigslug
06-06-2021, 07:07 PM
I suspect the serious carbine collectors will be in quite a lather over these.

Like Garands, there was a lot of re-working in the Korea/post-Korea era, and finding unaltered WWII-era examples is a real challenge.

UNLIKE Garands, there was never a corrosive-primed .30 Carbine round, and it's not like the cartridge is a barrel burner. Probably some items of real historical interest there.

.455 Webley
06-06-2021, 09:59 PM
When you consider the price of the new made carbines a real one for 1200 seems like a reasonable price. A person could spend all that money and more on some over hyped AR or wonder magnum with nice glass. At the end of the day a good m1 carbine is a treasure, nothing else like it.

35 Whelen
06-07-2021, 12:18 AM
The view from under my rock is different. I stopped investing in most guns when I realized there is greater upside in ammunition and components if someone waits for the cycles (easy 100% return if not more). The only downside is that a few folks label me a hoarder and scalper. Some think I am prepared. Oh well.

As to the Midway offerings, I doubt anyone buying them will net a 20% return for years. Those that already have a couple will benefit from the madness, but buying high generally is not a good strategy.

So how many are you planning on buying?

I have enough components to last the rest of my life, and personally wouldn't invest in components and/or ammunition because the cycles/elections are too far apart for my tastes. But if that works for you, more power to you.

If I was close enough to you for a handshake, I would bet you a substantial sum of money that your 20% prediction will be wrong. The prices of the Midway Carbine's are "in the ballpark" right now so the little rifles have room to go up in value in the near future. If want a good idea of the selling price of Carbine's, go to Gunbroker and search completed auctions and omit makers such as Universal, Plainfield, Iver Johnson, Nat'l Ordnance, Auto Ordnance, et al., it's rather eye-opening.

M1 Carbine's are a new phenomenon for many shooters and are just now being discovered by gun junkies who are in to black rifles with long magazines hanging from the bottom, and sighting systems that needs extension cords or jumper cables protruding from the top. i.e.- there is a new market for Carbines.

How many am I planning on buying? I had planned on buying one initially, but I may get two or three, or I may get two and watch the auctions for Carbine's to see if they slow down due to all the attention Midway is getting.

35W

Drydock
06-07-2021, 01:37 PM
Classic surplus is about gone. The last 20 years have been a golden age never to return.

Carbineone
06-07-2021, 03:26 PM
Yeah much better deals can be found..Look over on the CMP, quite a few come up reasonable there..

Texas by God
06-07-2021, 04:50 PM
For the price of two car payments you can get a non depreciating piece of our nation's history that is ever useful for what it was made for and more.
In my opinion.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

downzero
06-07-2021, 04:55 PM
Yeah much better deals can be found..Look over on the CMP, quite a few come up reasonable there..

CMP hasn't had M1 Carbines for over a decade.

Mohawk Daddy
06-07-2021, 08:46 PM
I suspect the serious carbine collectors will be in quite a lather over these.

Like Garands, there was a lot of re-working in the Korea/post-Korea era, and finding unaltered WWII-era examples is a real challenge.

UNLIKE Garands, there was never a corrosive-primed .30 Carbine round, and it's not like the cartridge is a barrel burner. Probably some items of real historical interest there.

"....there was never a corrosive-primed .30 carbine round...." I wouldn't bet the farm on that. About 40 years ago a nice looking carbine came into my hands from some relatives who had inherited it. They had shot the carbine for exactly one day with WWII spam can ammo and then put it back into the closet to rest for several years without cleaning it. It had no rifling left inside the barrel as in none, nada, nichevo. Could not put lead on paper on a 3'X3' target at 100 yards because it had become a smoothbore.

popper
06-07-2021, 09:43 PM
I don't understand why anybody wants one. They were designed for close support spray and pray anyway. Other than being not so heavy on my shoulder as a garand, why?

Multra
06-07-2021, 09:46 PM
I don't understand why anybody wants one. They were designed for close support spray and pray anyway. Other than being not so heavy on my shoulder as a garand, why?

They are fun light rifles.

.455 Webley
06-07-2021, 10:06 PM
I once ran into some berdan primed carbine ammo. It even had a fake LC -50 headstamp. Supposed to have been made in China for use with captured carbines. Never heard of or read about it anywhere else.

dverna
06-07-2021, 11:03 PM

It is a good self defense weapon. Low recoil, light and short. A good choice for women and smaller framed folks. Not worth north of $1200 IMO...but many think otherwise.

muskeg13
06-08-2021, 09:13 AM
0510 Alaska Standard Time: National Postal Meter Good to Very Good on the way!

35 Whelen
06-08-2021, 09:42 AM
"....there was never a corrosive-primed .30 carbine round...." I wouldn't bet the farm on that. About 40 years ago a nice looking carbine came into my hands from some relatives who had inherited it. They had shot the carbine for exactly one day with WWII spam can ammo and then put it back into the closet to rest for several years without cleaning it. It had no rifling left inside the barrel as in none, nada, nichevo. Could not put lead on paper on a 3'X3' target at 100 yards because it had become a smoothbore.

The U.S. did not produce corrosive .30 Carbine ammo, but the Chinese did and they headstamped it LC. I actually found an empty a few weeks ago. It was easily recognized as "not" U.S. because it was Berdan primed.

35W

Mohawk Daddy
06-08-2021, 09:50 AM
The U.S. did not produce corrosive .30 Carbine ammo, but the Chinese did and they headstamped it LC. I actually found an empty a few weeks ago. It was easily recognized as "not" U.S. because it was Berdan primed.

35W

Thanks for the info. On edit I can't testify that the relatives ruined that carbine barrel with ammo from a US spam can. They also had several bags of loose ammo, and no one now living knows where that stuff came from.

bdicki
06-08-2021, 12:57 PM
Sold out.

Handloader109
06-08-2021, 12:57 PM
Sold out before noon central time....... wow

35 Whelen
06-08-2021, 01:11 PM
I kept refreshing the page and it appeared they completely sold out at about 10:55 CST. Insane and a testament to their IT department. I don't know how they process that many orders in that amount of time. Larry Potterfield is a good businessman.

35W

Fishman
06-08-2021, 05:08 PM
I paid $700 for one about 5 years ago, and thought I did ok . . .really didn't care if I sold it for a profit later as I wanted it. According to this sale, it's worth about $1600.

I'm not that old and the first one I bought for the princely sum of $195 was super fun, but it had to go down the road a couple years later when I needed a nice deer rifle and I was offered $450 trade.

I have never lost money buying military surplus guns. Never.

downzero
06-08-2021, 05:32 PM
I have wanted one for a long time, and I was tempted. But at the end of the day, an M1 Carbine is simply not worth, to me, what they were charging. Good luck to everyone who got one.

I had one years ago but the stock was not very nice, so I sold it. As much as I'd like one in the safe, I don't really miss it, either.

Ural Driver
06-08-2021, 05:55 PM
If only I had bought a truck full back in the 70"s.......

35 Whelen
06-08-2021, 06:35 PM
If only I had bought a truck full back in the 70"s.......

.....or even just a year ago.

35W

kens
06-08-2021, 06:53 PM
the thing that kills me is the people that say the M1 carbine is weak, inaccurate outdated, woefully poor, etc., etc.
True it is not cutting edge technology, not the most powerful, not the most accurate, BUT, from the thread I posted some time ago, the .30carbine is THE most underrated cartridge.
Yes, it is truly underrated for its size, its weight on shoulder, its accuracy.
Those people that scold the carbine fall into 2 groups, either they got a gun that is slap wore out sloppy, or, they just dont know how to shoot.
given a carbine rifle with a correct chamber/bore/ammo/shooter, it is a no-joke firearm, not to be scorned

muskeg13
06-08-2021, 07:30 PM
It was like the Great Oklahoma Land Rush this morning! Agree with both 35W and kens. Kudos to Midway's organization/preparation. I was fully expecting the site to go down, and it was a bit slow on check out, but it did not crash. I was able to get shipping details quickly. Maybe I just got lucky in the accuracy dept with my previous acquisition, an Inland that I rebarreled myself. It will regularly bounce coke cans @100 with ease. Hopefully the "new" carbine will be just as accurate.

perotter
06-09-2021, 02:51 PM
I once ran into some berdan primed carbine ammo. It even had a fake LC -50 headstamp. Supposed to have been made in China for use with captured carbines. Never heard of or read about it anywhere else.

I read that about 10-15 years ago somewhere.

TNsailorman
06-09-2021, 02:51 PM
I would have liked to have had one of the Inland arms carbines but I am not willing to pay $1699.00 for a very good carbine. Everybody spends their money as they wish but I do not see the value in this sale. Larry is a good business man and he got the value for the next 5 to 10 years out of his rifles. If they had a documented history of service (say in Korea) and had not been compromised by all the rebuilding and parts changing, that would be another matter. If I was going to buy another carbine, I would find one of the New Inland Arms versions and buy it.

slim1836
06-09-2021, 03:20 PM
I saw (TV or internet) where someone compared the 30-06 vs .30 carbine with ballistic clay and the carbine made a larger cavity than the 06. Probably due to a pointed vs round bullet, however, the French Foreign Legion used it in Africa with much success. I believe the round is underrated.

Sucks getting older but beats the alternative, my mind is going. I've got CRS.

Slim

TNsailorman
06-09-2021, 03:59 PM
I am with you slim, anyone who says the M1 .30 Carbine is not a good defensive weapon has no experience with it. I shot a lot of carbine in the 50's and 60's and it a very effective cartridge when one doesn't try to make a magnum out of it. It would be hard to beat a little M1 carbine for a in home defensive weapon, especially for the wife. Light and deadly at close range of anything under 200 yards. Ruger missed the boat by not making the M1 carbine instead of the turkey they put out in 9mm. That thing is clunky and bulky in my mind. It is also heavier than a M1 carbine. The only thing it had going for it was the availability of cheap 9mm ammo and even that has pretty much dried up. I will take the .30 carbine cartridge over a 9mm also. I shot quite a few of the hollow points in it and they expanded well. This has got me thinking and I may try to find a new Inland carbine. Stand to james

jimb16
06-09-2021, 08:29 PM
It was like the Great Oklahoma Land Rush this morning! Agree with both 35W and kens. Kudos to Midway's organization/preparation. I was fully expecting the site to go down, and it was a bit slow on check out, but it did not crash. I was able to get shipping details quickly. Maybe I just got lucky in the accuracy dept with my previous acquisition, an Inland that I rebarreled myself. It will regularly bounce coke cans @100 with ease. Hopefully the "new" carbine will be just as accurate.

Yes it did crash! I had a Rock-Ola in my cart and was almost done with the checkout when it crashed. When it came back up, my cart was empty and all the Rocks were gone. Don't tell me it didn't crash. I know several guys who lost out on their carbines of choice for that same reason. We were among the very first people to select and go to checkout. It crashed for us at 9:04 EST.

muskeg13
06-10-2021, 12:37 AM
Yes it did crash! I had a Rock-Ola in my cart and was almost done with the checkout when it crashed. When it came back up, my cart was empty and all the Rocks were gone. Don't tell me it didn't crash. I know several guys who lost out on their carbines of choice for that same reason. We were among the very first people to select and go to checkout. It crashed for us at 9:04 EST.

I began checking out a few seconds after opening and was in the middle of checking out at 9:04 EST/5:04 AST. It was slow and hung up twice, but the entire system did not crash. You probably lost your carbines of choice because Midway realized they were sold out while your order was being processed. Maybe the long delays at different stages in the check-out process were related to inventory verification before going to the next step? I suspected the Rock-Olas and IBMs would probably sell out immediately and never considered them. If some customers had the time to select and purchase multiple carbine variations, the problem of losing something in a cart may have been confined to high demand/short supply variants.

MrWolf
06-10-2021, 07:49 AM
I would have liked to have had one of the Inland arms carbines but I am not willing to pay $1699.00 for a very good carbine. Everybody spends their money as they wish but I do not see the value in this sale. Larry is a good business man and he got the value for the next 5 to 10 years out of his rifles. If they had a documented history of service (say in Korea) and had not been compromised by all the rebuilding and parts changing, that would be another matter. If I was going to buy another carbine, I would find one of the New Inland Arms versions and buy it.

I hadn't heard of them and of course stupid me had to look them up. Now I am starting to think which is very dangerous for me. Thanks a lot there pal...[smilie=l:

eastbank
06-10-2021, 09:24 AM
284256284257284258284259 i just bought this 1963 DCM IBM carbine in like new condition for what midway ask for their lowest grade, a good day.

Multra
06-10-2021, 11:03 AM
I hadn't heard of them and of course stupid me had to look them up. Now I am starting to think which is very dangerous for me. Thanks a lot there pal...[smilie=l:
Most of the commercial carbines are junk, I would steer clear of them unless it's a fulton armory carbine ($2k+) or it's a commercial carbine that is less than $500 and you are willing to put in work to make it run right.

Multra
06-10-2021, 09:13 PM
My carbine came in today, had to scrape off the rust but afterwards it looks pretty good.
284311 284312

Earlwb
06-10-2021, 10:29 PM
Well folks it looks like Midway is sold out now. so you won't have to fret over them more.

MrWolf
06-11-2021, 07:46 AM
My carbine came in today, had to scrape off the rust but afterwards it looks pretty good.
284311 284312

Good for you. Glad you like her. I really thought about getting one but realized my estimated taxes were due next week. Just paid 1st quarter last month which threw me off.

marlin39a
06-11-2021, 10:04 AM
284311 284312

What is there for an import mark on your carbine?

Multra
06-11-2021, 12:01 PM
What is there for an import mark on your carbine?

Pretty small 284339

sharps4590
06-11-2021, 12:06 PM

And to think I spent a "C" note on mine. 'Course that was a couple years ago...maybe even 30 years.

I'd have to really want one to give $500 for a carbine but, milsurps aren't my cup of tea.

eastbank
06-11-2021, 12:52 PM
after reading all the posts about the midway carbines, it seems the higher up the cost latter you go, the nicer they get-1000.00 to 2000.00 dollars. if you wait and look around you may find one284342284343284344 cheaper, but then again maybe not. i paid i think 700.00 for this winchester. several years ago.

jimb16
06-13-2021, 09:51 PM
Prices these days are starting around $1200 for anything in decent condition. If it is a less common carbine like a Sandard Products or Rock-Ola they state around $1500 for one in poor shape. If you find a carbine under $1000, grab it!

Hanzy4200
06-19-2021, 10:05 PM
The prices they had listed, plus no way to visually inspect, and add a nasty import mark, no thank you. I thought I overpaying on my Underwood 7 years ago for $900.

Hanzy4200
06-19-2021, 10:06 PM
after reading all the posts about the midway carbines, it seems the higher up the cost latter you go, the nicer they get-1000.00 to 2000.00 dollars. if you wait and look around you may find one284342284343284344 cheaper, but then again maybe not. i paid i think 700.00 for this winchester. several years ago.

That was a killer deal. Very nice M1.

GooseGestapo
06-20-2021, 09:51 AM
Well I bit.
I wanted a “shooter” as my 1943 Saginaw with a like new barrel “sprays” not groups. In fact it’s most accurate load is a Lee 93gr RN powder coated, @.311” over 11.8gr of #2400 shoots about 4” at 50yds.

I bought the least expensive Inland, expecting a “dog” to use for parts.
I was VERY pleasantly surprised.
My “fair to good”, is more like strong GOOD.
Light wear to metal, expected dings to stock, type 1 barrel band.
But, It’s a tack driver compared to the Saginaw. It has a pristine 10/42 Inland barrel and all other parts appear original and correct. It still has the push button safety trigger group. First group at 25yds put 4 touching. Groups at 50yds run ~2” with 110gr Armscor FMJ over 15.0gr H110. Brass is only ejected 3’ over my right shoulder (lefty shooter).
I had only 11 Lee 113gr FNGC loaded over 12.4gr of #2400. They grouped as good as jacketed but would occasionally fail to feed. (Not unexpected) I’ll try another magazine.
I loaded up 100+ 93gr yesterday and will try when it quits raining.

I’m pleased.

35 Whelen
06-20-2021, 11:45 AM
Well I bit.
I wanted a “shooter” as my 1943 Saginaw with a like new barrel “sprays” not groups. In fact it’s most accurate load is a Lee 93gr RN powder coated, @.311” over 11.8gr of #2400 shoots about 4” at 50yds.

I bought the least expensive Inland, expecting a “dog” to use for parts.
I was VERY pleasantly surprised.
My “fair to good”, is more like strong GOOD.
Light wear to metal, expected dings to stock, type 1 barrel band.
But, It’s a tack driver compared to the Saginaw. It has a pristine 10/42 Inland barrel and all other parts appear original and correct. It still has the push button safety trigger group. First group at 25yds put 4 touching. Groups at 50yds run ~2” with 110gr Armscor FMJ over 15.0gr H110. Brass is only ejected 3’ over my right shoulder (lefty shooter).
I had only 11 Lee 113gr FNGC loaded over 12.4gr of #2400. They grouped as good as jacketed but would occasionally fail to feed. (Not unexpected) I’ll try another magazine.
I loaded up 100+ 93gr yesterday and will try when it quits raining.

I’m pleased.

Very, very happy for you Goose Gestapo.

I'd suggest you look far and wide for an RCBS 30-115-SP and/or a Lyman 311576. Either casts a bullet that, loaded over 2400 or AL410, shoot at least as good and many times better than any jacketed bullet I've tried.

35W

jimb16
06-21-2021, 12:38 PM
Have you checked the stock to receiver fit on the Saginaw? The action should not move forward and back in the stock. If it does you either need a new recoil plate or the current one needs to be shimmed. With the barrel band off the stock, the barrel should be held 1/4 to 1/2 inch above the barrel channel with the action fully seated to the rear. The hand guard and barrel band should pull the barrel downward into the stock. That is one of the major accuracy problems for a carbine; loose fit in the stock. It allows the poi to wander and the result is a pattern instead of a group.