PDA

View Full Version : revolvers, yep... revolvers

bushka
01-03-2009, 04:51 PM
I started with them,and lived thru the whole switch to autos,partook a few of those too.I even said yuk everytime my eyes glossed thru the glass case full of
obsolete revolvers.
But now it seems I say yuk just as much or more even when I see all that tupperware they sell nowadays.
It seems the ceiling has been hit with the handgun,and when you boil it
down,the heyday has been had back before I was even born.
Now I find myself stopping dead in my tracks when I see a mint 1950`s
Smith 357mag with 8 3/4" barrel and say WOW!! even moreso if its fully engraved.
Automatics,I stopped at the sig p210 and sti edge 2011,I cant complain there,
but you`re ammo still has to be perfect,and topping off magazines,picking up cases,etc., the revolver concept is just so much more hassle free that I convinced my 80 year old father to go with a ruger sp101 hammerless snubbie,even tho he is a ww2 vet,the 1911 is not a choice for someone who leaves it in a cowboy boot in the closet and dont practice.
Now wher is that 10 shot .327 magnum N frame at??

missionary5155
01-03-2009, 06:49 PM
Good afternoon
Revolvers ! The 2 shops here in my BIG city (1.5 million) do not even bother to ask me anymore about autos... Nutten against them.. I have all sorts of .45 1911s ,40s and others stuck away up there in the North... but guess what are my 1st choice "repel borders" items... 5 or 6 cartriges rotating around a fixed shaft. Simple,safe and reliable.
God Bless you all.

jhrosier
01-03-2009, 08:53 PM
"Do you feel lucky, punk?"

http://images16.fotki.com/v352/photos/5/590147/2786028/pc686p1-vi.jpg

I think about that quote every time I handle my 7-shot 686.

Jack

Tom Herman
01-03-2009, 10:04 PM
Yep, I've gone back to the joy of revolvers as well... I had an incident where a misfeed in a semiauto could have easily cost me my life. Fortunately, the four "inner city youth" didn't see what was going on, and beat feet.
Ever since that day, I've only used revolvers to defend myself. They aren't ammunition sensitive (you can load SWC's, full WC's, RN's, mild loads, wild loads etc.), the recoil seems more controllable to me, and they are just flat out fun!
Yes, I still appreciate classic autoloaders (no plastic guns, please!), but revolvers are my passion now.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

jhrosier
01-03-2009, 10:17 PM
.... 5 or 6 cartriges rotating around a fixed shaft. Simple,safe and reliable.
God Bless you all.

CARTRIDGES! We don't need no stinkin' cartridges!:twisted:

http://images43.fotki.com/v1367/photos/5/590147/2786028/1860Army_sm-vi.jpg

(my Christmas present.)

Jack

trickyasafox
01-03-2009, 10:39 PM
I'm starting to like them more and more. A while back there was a thread on the 38spl and how useful it is. Now I have an Official Police w/ a 4in tube that I got for an unbelievable steal and I am really starting to see what people meant. Its such a versatile and useful platform- I don't think I'll ever be without a 38/357 . Just too great a thing not to have around.

Still love autos - plastic or steel, I don't care.

not chasing brass is a nice change of pace.

S.R.Custom
01-03-2009, 11:13 PM
Revolters and bottom-feeders are pretty much a seasonal thing with me. I shoot the revolvers in the winter and the autoloaders in the summer; it's kinda hard to find the bottom-feeder empties in the snow...

218bee
01-03-2009, 11:33 PM
I always liked wheelguns better. For me, they are easier to shoot more accurately. My best centerfire semi-auto was a Sig P220 but alas I horse traded that off for a Smith 657 41mag. The only non revolvers I now own are a Contender and a Ruger MarkI target (my very first handgun).

Heavy lead
01-03-2009, 11:41 PM
I really like 1911's, never got into them til about 5 years ago though, always was a wheel guy, still am, I have one plastic gun, and it's ok. But give me some steel blue or silver and a wheel, preferably a 41 caliber or larger and I'm a happy camper sa, da, 5, 6, 7, or 8 shot I don't care.

Snapping Twig
01-04-2009, 03:02 AM
I've got a few really reliable autos, a 1911, a Ruger Mk II and a Sig P220, but if you're ever in the woods and you run into me, I'll be wearing a 44.

I had this one hard chromed and done up for the times I leave my rifle behind.

http://http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a51/SnappingTwig1/P8150004-1.jpg

This is the one I typically carry. If I'm in the woods - camping, hunting, fishing, you name it, this is in a crossdraw.

http://http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a51/SnappingTwig1/P8180025.jpg

Either way, the boolit used is a 429244 over 22g W296 and a wlp.

Ben
01-04-2009, 10:35 AM
I'll drop in a nice Colt Officer's Model Match , to add with all these nice " Smith " photos. This one is a real joy to shoot ! ! :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Officers%20Model%20Match/9000-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Officers%20Model%20Match/9002.jpg

cajun shooter
01-04-2009, 12:00 PM
Ben, I remember when I first tried out for the pistol team. I was shown and told that the Colt Officer's Match was the only gun to have. That was in 1976. Ended up shooting the Python. Later the S&W 586

Kraschenbirn
01-04-2009, 01:04 PM
If one were to look in the handgun rack of my safe, he would find only M1911s or revolvers...no plastic and, with the exception of my LW Commander .45, no aluminum, titanium or whateverium.

Bill

leadeye
01-04-2009, 01:57 PM
I like to shoot both but most of my shooting in done with revolvers. Not having to hunt in the weeds for the cases is the main reason. Need a large flat spot with no flora and small gravel if I am going to do much with autos.:castmine:

unclebill
01-04-2009, 04:44 PM
i hate em!
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l272/billhedges/zsmithwesson27-2014-4.jpg
well
maybe not so much.......

mooman76
01-04-2009, 04:57 PM
I've always liked them but liked them more after I started reloading and colecting my brass. Gets tiring chasing spent brass from autos.

9.3X62AL
01-04-2009, 05:15 PM
I'm at that awkward stage in my hobby life where my kids are too busy to chase brass down for me, and the grandkids aren't big enough to do so yet. It's a good time to have revolvers in the gun safe, in other words. My rollerpistols span the sublime to the ridiculous--from a Colt Pocket Positive x 6"/original nickel/32 SWL to the Ruger Redhawk x 5.5" x 44 Magnum.

Three44s
01-04-2009, 09:35 PM
The best way to limit your semi's brass travel is shoot indoors .......

.......... just kidding!

I too refrain from toting a semi just because of the brass chasing .......

And with the current snow pack ..... I won't even take my semi-rifles out lately ......!

SO it's revolters and bolt guns for me until further weather developments!!

It was pretty much that way when the ground was bare though ..............

Three 44s

454PB
01-04-2009, 10:41 PM
I like em both, but feel compelled to balance the photo collection on this thread.....

http://fumpr.com/images/5xuxk3g5c61difkoz0t.jpg (http://fumpr.com/)

jhrosier
01-04-2009, 11:02 PM
I like em both, but feel compelled to balance the photo collection on this thread......

Interesting..
I thought that you couldn't shoot cast boolits in a DE?

Jack

Frank46
01-05-2009, 03:33 AM
My first revolter is a S&W model 10 could be a police turnin. Put on a set of pachmayer grips and good to go. Both my daughters have shot it and think even my wife popped a few. Good, steady, reliable and fairly accurate. Was the second hand held firearm I bought since moving to Louisiana. Then got into shooting steel plates, did this for a few years until my arthiritus got so bad that standing for long periods of time became a contest all by itself. Wanted something a little better than the model 10. Went to a local gun show and found a colt trooperIII in 357 magnum. Ok, recoil a little differernt than what I'd been shooting. While she won't win any beauty contests (pitting on both the cylinder and barrel) she locks up good and that six inch barrel with blacked out no glare front sight allows these 62 year old to actually hit what he's aiming at. Maybe one of these days I'll get lucky and score a officer's model or a K frame K38. And none of this scrounging around for the brass. Getting too old for that now. Frank

Limey
01-05-2009, 01:42 PM
....far too many many auto's appearing on this revolver thread.....just cut that out Unclebill and 454PB.......

...if it ain't a wheel gun.....ummmm?.....wheel gun nearly sounds like a 'real gun'!.......but I'll let Unclebill off 'cus he counter that very nice 1911 with a lot of wheel guns!!!

....I must be getting old as if it ain't made of metal and wood it's not a 'real' gun for me any more.......I shot a Glock many years ago and it was good.....but it was just a tool.............whereas my 1911.....that was goooooooooood, a proper gun, to shoot it was good , just to look at it was pleasure.

....now, on the other hand a revolver is a work of art.....just like a proper wind up watch.......man and engineering in perfect harmony....beauty and mechanical excellence made real.......what'd ya mean?....I'm revolver biased????

...I'd alway's wanted a Python as a kid but they were alway's out of my price bracket......lucky for me now that the auto's are a 'must have accessory' the prices of revolvers has tumbled low enough to allow me to buy my dream gun......it's serial number tells me it is 30 years old........I bought it second hand 2 years ago and it was box fresh, hardly fired a shot!!!....another man's loss was my lucky find!....now it's my mission to wear it out through fair wear and tear and not negligence.

.......lock up like a bank vault and a trigger release like a zepher wind.....beautiful to use and even better to look at.........

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f101/lambris/P1010889.jpg

Happy New year to everybody and wishing you all a healthy, happy and lucky New Year,

Limey

shooting on a shoestring
01-05-2009, 09:47 PM
Oh I'm partial to old Smiths and New Rugers, but that Colt is pretty piece. Love the pic.

unclebill
01-06-2009, 04:33 PM
Limey,
i just had to own at least one nice 1911.
ok back to topic.
i want to get a highway patrol in good functional condition and send it to the factory for a nickle plate job.
why you ask?
cuz i want another shiny gun.[smilie=1:

p.s.
as you can probably tell
i aint big on plastic guns either.

Bret4207
01-07-2009, 08:06 AM
For me, it's the brass thing. I've had to police brass ever since I was in the Corps and frankly, I'm tired of it. With a revolver I just empty the brass into me mitt and into the can it goes. No muss, no fuss. While I love auto's for their fire power and flatness they do tend to be expensive to shoot. My answer will some day be a simple, lightly built, folding 3 sided frame affair of 2x2's and fiberglass window screen. 4'x4'x 7' high with the screen on all sides and sort of billowing out at the sides to actually give the brass a place to land should work. If I ever get it built I'll post a picture. I got the idea from Dr Franklin Manns book "The Bullets Flight" where he had a 100 yards range covered in muslin cloth.

45 2.1
01-07-2009, 08:30 AM
[quote=Limey;462017...I'd alway's wanted a Python as a kid ....now it's my mission to wear it out through fair wear and tear and not negligence. Limey[/quote]

My first wheelgun was a 4" Python. I shot the Hell out of that gun. When I finally traded it, for a match Garand, it had over 250,000 38 Special loads and about 10,000 357 Mag loads thru it. It wasn't worn out, but it spit horribly and you had to wear leather gloves to shoot it. The Garand was worth more than the gun and rebuild, so I traded it off. Your gonna like it.................:mrgreen:

unclebill
01-13-2009, 12:44 AM
i for one am tickled pink that wheelguns have fallen out of favor over plastic auto's
that nickle S&W 27-2 pinned/recessed .357 with presentation box?
400 bucks at a pawnshop!
pic taken before i cleaned it up.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l272/billhedges/zsmithwesson27-2050.jpg

9.3X62AL
01-13-2009, 01:46 AM
ONLY WHEELGUNS ARE REAL GUNS........OK, that might be a bit extreme. That Python pic a few posts up the thread was a real beauty! I never fully succumbed to the faux allure of sliderpistol bottomfeeders as the "end-all and be-all of self-defense" that overtook LEO sidearm thinking in the mid-1980s. There was (and remains) a 357 Magnum near at hand throughout my career and into retirement. It's a 686 x 4", 6-shot version and about 25 years old. A more faithful friend could hardly be found. The things just plain WORK.

45 2.1
01-13-2009, 08:13 AM
There was (and remains) a 357 Magnum near at hand throughout my career and into retirement. It's a 686 x 4", 6-shot version and about 25 years old. A more faithful friend could hardly be found. The things just plain WORK.

I've shot lots of combat matches Al. Every once in awhile, a spring will break (i've seen it happen twice now) in a S&W and the thing won't shoot. Extremely rare, but it happens. I never had anything break in a Python though and i've shot them as much or more. Revolvers don't throw brass away and are very reliable, but i'm not married to them for defense either.

Dixie Slugs
01-13-2009, 10:42 AM
Well, I just could not resist this one! I also tend to lean toward revolvers of all types. Lately, I have been playing with two Ruger Old SArmy revolvers and a Kirst Kornverter cylinder in 45 Long Colt....just pure enjoyment! Maybe when you get my age you start going backwards?
Oh yes, the litke Smith and Wesson Perfected was my garnd fathers gun he carried in his doctor's bag.
Regards, James

GLL
01-13-2009, 12:10 PM
Why would anyone want to accumulate old revolvers, especially heavy .38Special revolvers?

Jerry

.38/44 Outdoorsman
http://www.fototime.com/B487E0490C7B8CD/orig.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/B0E3C917754938C/orig.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/6DFF2F88F82FFCA/orig.jpg

unclebill
01-13-2009, 12:21 PM
why someone would want 23 identical revolvers is beyond me.
but it is cool.

Catshooter
01-13-2009, 02:20 PM
Oh, they're not identical, not if you look closely. If nothing else, the serial numbers are differant!:)

Cat

j20owner
01-13-2009, 03:05 PM
Hmm, I count 22. That is indeed an impressive collection.

GLL
01-13-2009, 03:37 PM

Your point is well taken ! :) It is a sickness I think !

The revolvers in the group photo are all post-WWII "transitional" (1940's) .38/44s that have a number of subtle differences. Two actually have factory installed Pre-War "Registered Magnum" barrels. All have the early long-actions and are outstanding target shooters capable of handling loads equal to many modern factory .357Magnum offerings.

To make it even worse I have an similar pile of Pre-War versions ! :)

If nothing else they held value better than stocks this years plus the benefit of taken them out to shoot a bit ! ;) ;)

Jerry

http://www.fototime.com/E6E680A565C3884/orig.jpg

Heavy lead
01-13-2009, 03:41 PM
It may be a sickness Jerry, but your collection is simply awesome, thanks for sharing.

Catshooter
01-13-2009, 04:09 PM
I'll bet they've held their value better than stocks! Esp in California. They are beautiful Jerry.

Cat

SPRINGFIELDM141972
01-13-2009, 06:26 PM
but it is cool.

Well thats easy.... It because he hasn't found #24.:mrgreen:

Everett

Down South
01-13-2009, 11:22 PM
I like both and have about an equal amount of each. Both have their pluses and minuses and they both have their place in my life. Accuracy, I like my revolvers in general although I have a couple pistols that I’d shoot against a revolver any day at 50 yds or less. But I do love my wheel guns. BTW I don't have any plastic pistols. All of what I have isn't made any more. All of my pistols are pre lock S&W with the exception of one.

unclebill
01-13-2009, 11:41 PM
don't get me wrong.
id be ecstatic with just one of those beauties!

GLL
01-14-2009, 12:34 AM
unclebill:

All taken in jest ! :)

Your problem is going to be those 27-2s !

They are addictive as well ! Now you need a 3.5". a 4", a 5", a 6". and a 6.5" ! Then some blue ones !!! :) :)

I have found an extra part-time job is required !

Jerry

9.3X62AL
01-14-2009, 12:40 AM
I've shot lots of combat matches Al. Every once in awhile, a spring will break (i've seen it happen twice now) in a S&W and the thing won't shoot. Extremely rare, but it happens. I never had anything break in a Python though and i've shot them as much or more. Revolvers don't throw brass away and are very reliable, but i'm not married to them for defense either.

No spring breakage to date for me in S&W, Colt, or Ruger rollers--just lucky, I suppose. What CAN tie things up is a powder flake under an extractor star. Very not good. All systems have an Achilles' heel of some sort, all ya can do is your best to not expose or aggravate the weakness.

jack19512
01-14-2009, 05:33 AM
If nothing else they held value better than stocks

PLEASE!!!!!!! don't get me started on stocks. [smilie=b:

unclebill
01-14-2009, 10:12 AM
unclebill:

All taken in jest ! :)

Your problem is going to be those 27-2s !

They are addictive as well ! Now you need a 3.5". a 4", a 5", a 6". and a 6.5" ! Then some blue ones !!! :) :)

I have found an extra part-time job is required !

Jerry
i have been trying to figure out how to get a 3.5". a 4", a 5", a 6". and a 6.5" since the day after i brought my 8.5" home!
oh yeah.
they gotta have the box and the cleaning kit and the papers and ..and....

p.s.
i REALLY wish i could find the correct cleaning rod for the one i have..

GLL
01-15-2009, 03:21 PM
unclebill:

I will dig in the stash to see if I can find an extra 8 3/8" cleaning rod !

Jerry

unclebill
01-15-2009, 03:46 PM
unclebill:

I will dig in the stash to see if I can find an extra 8 3/8" cleaning rod !

Jerry

REALLY?
wow that would be great!:drinks:
that would complete the set.
i still wouldnt have the papers for it but that empty slot breaks my heart everytime i open that box.

Lucky Joe
01-15-2009, 09:13 PM
I read somewhere " The world isn't flat your hand gun shouldn't be either".

I have a couple of auto's the rest have cylinders.:drinks:

GLL
01-15-2009, 09:49 PM
unclebill:

I "may" have an extra set of papers for a 27-2 !

MAYBE !

Jerry

unclebill
01-15-2009, 10:10 PM
unclebill:

I "may" have an extra set of papers for a 27-2 !

MAYBE !

Jerry

holy moly!
i kinda gave up on the rod and the papers were an impossible dream.

GLL
01-15-2009, 10:58 PM
No holy-moly yet !

I have a lot of papers for various S&Ws and cleaning tools but not sure about the ones you need !

Jerry

unclebill
01-16-2009, 08:10 AM
No holy-moly yet !

I have a lot of papers for various S&Ws and cleaning tools but not sure about the ones you need !

Jerry

ok
im holding back on my holy moly's.....[smilie=1:

9.3X62AL
01-16-2009, 03:08 PM
I read somewhere " The world isn't flat your hand gun shouldn't be either".

I have a couple of auto's the rest have cylinders.:drinks:

Great thought, Joe.

Maybe it's just a statistical anomaly, but there have been a LOT of "classic" wheelguns showing up on dealer shelves and elsewhere lately in my area. I haven't been a very active buyer or seller for several years, but these older rollers definitely get my full attention......and occasionally my folding money, too. Much of what is made currently does not interest me, or I already have one if it does. It's those "out of print" examples by Colt and S&W that attract my eye most readily.

Scrounger
01-16-2009, 03:55 PM
You ain't going to like the answer but it's a lot of old farts like ourselves dying off or getting ready to. Some of us are of a mindset to sell our treasures before we die because we know our heirs don't appreciate them or have the knowledge to sell them wisely. Others keep them to the bitter end and the heirs sell them for ten cents on the dollar. Maybe we should start a tradition of having them preserved properly and buried with us, that would be a source of weapons for a future generation in a gun starved world. Some guys here would need a grave the size of a three story building's foundation to contain all their guns and ammo....

9.3X62AL
01-16-2009, 04:29 PM
Sounds kinda Pharoah-esque, Art! :)

Very likely the case, that older shooters are approaching or have reached the end and their collections are being distributed. The term "estate sale" does come up a lot in these finds.

I haven't sold many guns lately, but more than a few have made their way into the hands of nephews and daughters as they start lives and homes of their own. Both nephews are fishing/hunting/shooting cranks like me, but with college and overseas military service they don't have a lot of money for guns, tackle, or accessories. Similar sitch with the Rotten Daughters, two of which are active shooters--the rest of whom go desert plinking a couple times a year. It is tough keeping a 10/22 around here, and I am processing a couple requests for Glock 9mm's at the present time.

They don't want a lot of reloading done, and the younger nephew has a deal put together with at least two of the girls to get a Dillon for 9mm and 40 S&W. They have a BUNCH of brass accumulated, and swapped me some of the 40 S&W brass I had laying around for 50# of wheelweights at the time we moved. Brought tears to my eyes, that did.

unclebill
01-16-2009, 07:38 PM
every gun i own is going to my 25 year old godson.
i love him and he deserves em.
hopefully he wont get em till he's about 50!!!!!!!!!

unclebill
02-14-2009, 09:06 AM
every gun i own is going to my 25 year old godson.
i love him and he deserves em.
hopefully he wont get em till he's about 50!!!!!!!!!

by then he will be old enough to appreciate wheel/real guns.:-P