PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Jerky

dale2242
06-03-2021, 09:02 AM
My great grand daughter wants me to make jerky out of the breast of the turkey she shot this spring.
I have never even tried/eaten turkey jerky so I have no idea what to expect.
I will be drying it in the dehydrator.
After searching the web , there are a number of good sounding recipes.
I am leaning toward a sweeter one.
Who amongst us have made it and what were your results?

gwpercle
06-03-2021, 01:25 PM
My son is one of those " I would rather not eat Red meat types" eats a lot of chicken and fish .
He asked me to do some Turkey Jerky ... I used thigh meat , sliced thin and marinated overnight in a bottle of Kikkoman Teriyaki Marinade and Basting Sauce . Teriyaki marinade is my favorite , I like sweet myself and it went well with the turkey thigh meat .
Dried it in the dehydrator like regular jerky ... he liked it and I must admit ... it was pretty good .
We didn't think breast meat would hold together so we used thighs ... it did fine .
You can mix your own marinade ... but to be honest the Kikkoman Marinade was darn good and so easy ... open the bottle and pour !
Gary

MaryB
06-03-2021, 01:34 PM
When making turkey or other poultry jerky if MUST reach a temp of 165 internal to kill bacteria.Make sure to check it!

T-Bird
06-26-2021, 09:16 AM
Hi Mountain makes jerky seasonings premixed and they are good. They have a cure in them but it's separate from the seasoning pack so I guess you don't have to use it if nitrite scares you. Lot's of flavors, and can be bought at stores like Cabela's, Bass Pro, or online.