PDA

View Full Version : I Made A Trade

Johnch
06-02-2021, 06:49 PM
A little over a month ago I sold a number of my normally unused or underused revolvers
I had several people give me cash and another revolver for my revolver
Bought a used truck with some of the cash

So I ended up with a Extra Ruger Blackhawlk in 30 Carbine
The original owner even threw in dies , brass and 100 rounds of surplus Ball Ammo
As for some reason he felt the 30 Carbine round out of a revolver shooting ammo loaded for a 18" barrel was to loud LOL

Well last week I told a guy from the gun club I was going to be selling the 30 Carbine revolver
Also a Marlin in 30 30 that someone had put a camo paint job on
He is sort of the go to guy if you want EVERYONE to know you have a gun for sale

The Marlin rifle took 2 days to sell
But with the Ruger 30 Carbine Blackhawlk I had a phone call in less than a hour
But he didn't want to buy it
He said he had a Almost unfired revolver and ammo he wanted to trade me ,
Also he didn't seem to want to tell me many details

ALSO I didn't know him so I wanted be careful
Since I have a key for the gun clubs indoor pistol range , I told him to me there
As I know there are a number of cameras there and I had a friend meet me there to help watch my back
Also my friend has a FFL and sometimes I have him do a transfer so there is at least a paper trail

We got there early and not 10 min later the other guy and his father showed up
The name on the caller ID was the son , I knew the father

The son opened a gun case and there was a 10" BFR 500 S&W revolver with a Red Dot sight mounted on it
A unopened and a box with 5 empty cases and 15 loaded rounds of Federal Fusion 500 S&W ammo

He also had the original box for the BFR revolver and the box for the Pinty 1x25mm Tactical Red Dot sight
The son told me he had tried to sight in the red dot sight
But he felt something may have been wrong with the BFR Revolver
Afterward the father admitted that is why his son traded me the revolver

He also had the original sales receipt with his name on it
A nice Paid In Full on it with the original $1100 price from 3 months ago

I felt bad as he wanted to trade his gun , ammo and Red Dot sight
For my Ruger Blackhawlk in 30 Carbine and ammo
But my friend took me to the side and flat out told me to do it
I told the son OK , but I also had a set of Lee 30 Carbine Dies and 100 empty cases

I paid the $50 he charges people to transfer guns not bought at his shop

OK I also found out 2 more things after doing the paperwork to transfer the pistols
#1 the son had come into my friends shop and had looked at red dot sights but had complained about the prices and had left not buying anything
#2 I looked up the "Pinty 1x25mm Tactical Red Dot sight" and you can buy that same sight on Amazon for LESS than $30

I shot a 10 shot 50' group with my Sig TrailSide 22 Pistol , it had a Millit 30MM red dot on it and it shot a group of just less than 3/4" off sand bags
Eley Standard was the ammo used for all the groups
So I then mounted that Pinty 1x25mm Tactical Red Dot sight on my Sig TrailSide 22 Pistol and shot 4 - 10 shot groups
Well the BEST 10 shot group was 7"
One of the groups , didn't keep all 10 shots on the 16" x 24" chunk of cardboard I had the target stapled to [smilie=1:
LOL Later I had a friend tap on the side of the cheap Pinty Red Dot sight while I was holding the dot on the bullseye at 50"
While still mounted on my Sig Trailside
The dot moved at LEAST 6" LOL

So while I have not had a chance to shoot any groups with my "New" BFR Revolver
I am no allowed to shoot a handgun anywhere as powerful as the 500 S&W on the indoor range
But at home I did shoot 10 rounds of my reloads with Hornady 350 gr jacketed bullets ( loaded for my H&R single shot in 500 S&W )
At a steel plate at 100 yards using a Burris 2X pistol Scope off of sand bags
I didn't measure the 10 shot group , as there was about 90 yards of mud and 10 yards of grass between the bench and the steel plate
But it was about 4" or less

So I bet he traded my a Good revolver and a Junk Red Dot sight

Now I start loading
I cut a 400 gr GC mold and a 500 gr GC mold
I have cast about 200 of each , just need powder coating and gas checks

I figure I should even cut a hollow point mold
As I sure don't want to be "Charged" by a wounded ground hog [smilie=1:

John

Mk42gunner
06-02-2021, 08:18 PM
Normally, I'm not all that enamored by optics on a handgun. Cheap optics even less so.

One thing I have learned is that as recoil goes up; the quality (and cost) of the optic (red dot or scope) and its mounting system need to go up to. This rule applies equally to rifles and handguns.

Robert

RickinTN
06-02-2021, 09:18 PM
Why would there be any transfer fee. This was a private transaction, correct?
Rick

Texas by God
06-02-2021, 09:34 PM
You traded a little hand cannon for a big hand cannon! Personally I would have kept the Blackhawk but when a trade like that presents itself- jump.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

brassrat
06-02-2021, 09:55 PM
I bought a Pinty 3x9 illuminated scope and was happily surprised

charlie b
06-02-2021, 10:06 PM
Years ago I bought a Primary Arms red dot sight. It worked well on my AK. So, I got one of their Burris Fastfire clones. Put it on a .357 and shot it a bit (200rnds?). Then decided to put it on a 1911. It did ok for a box of ammo. Then during my CCW refresher quals I noticed no red dot. The objective had come out. A bit later the one on the AK started turning off when firing. Got a Burris for the 1911 and it worked great. Still going after more than 1000rnds.

Sometimes you just have to spend a bit more.

Winger Ed.
06-02-2021, 11:32 PM
Sometimes people get something stuck in their head, and will not be confused with logic or facts.
If the fella wanted to 'unload' a broken gun onto ya---- cool. I'd ask him if he had any others he wanted to dump.

A buddy bought a nearly new Win. Model 70 from a guy at a giving away price because "It wouldn't shoot right".
The seller thought he was really making out by dumping it off on someone else.
The buyer tightened the scope mounts, and lived happily ever after.

I see it over and over:
Years ago, my Dad bought a boat (in the lake) that leaned to one side.
The seller desperately wanted out of it, because 'the hull was warped'.

I told Pop, it was floating,,,, the water doesn't care what shape the hull is. So he bought it on the cheap.
I re-arranged the 4 big batteries to the side opposite the stove & refrigerator, and 'un-warped' the hull.

Johnch
06-03-2021, 03:11 AM
Why would there be any transfer fee. This was a private transaction, correct?
Rick

No
I had it run through my friends FFL as he has a small gun shop
He charges the fee
I could have just done it as a trade with no paperwork
But I sometimes WANT the paper trail
As I didn't know the seller and a sales receipt can be faked
I only knew the father from saying hello at club meetings ' not if I could trust him with "My" gun in a trade with his son who was not a club member

I figure the $50 was a small price to pay for piece of mind when I was dealing with trading for a $1000+ pistol

John

Tar Heel
06-03-2021, 05:36 AM
One thing I have learned is that as recoil goes up; the quality (and cost) of the optic (red dot or scope) and its mounting system need to go up to. This rule applies equally to rifles and handguns.

Wise words.

Multra
06-03-2021, 10:05 AM
A "friend" charged you $50?

rintinglen
06-03-2021, 12:01 PM
A "friend" charged you $50?

Some of you lad's have been spoiled by cheap transfer fees. In California, figure on 60 bucks, minimum. Most likely add another Jackson or two to the price. Oh, and face-to-face transfers must be done through a licensed dealer.
50 bucks for the piece of mind resulting from not having to worry about jail time for possession of stolen property is cheap insurance on a thousand dollar gun.