PDA

View Full Version : Alliant 2400 Starting Load ?

Johnch
06-02-2021, 01:55 PM
I just finished 2 new 2 gang molds 400 gr GC mold and a 500 gr GC for the 500 S&W
I plan on seeing how Powder Coating works first
I have a 10" 500 S&W BFR revolver and a H&R single shot Rifle

I feel no need to shoot hot loads in either
So I figure I could begin with close to a starting load and work up if I see some need to
As I figure with the right loads I could hunt anything on Earth
It just depends on how bad the recoil needs to be , Before my ego says I have had ENOUGH

I have 2 full - 8 lb jugs of Alliant 2400 plus a little over 2 lb in a third jug , so I can load for a while

Starline Brass
Powder Coated 400 gr GC and 500 gr GC bullets out of range lead about like WW in hardness

What would be a safe Starting loads ?

Thanks
John

black mamba
06-02-2021, 04:05 PM
20 gr is about the lowest starting load I've seen; you could start there and work up. It should be in the ballpark of 1,000 fps out of an 8" revolver.

Heavy45
06-03-2021, 11:57 PM
Lower charges of 2400 can leave a lot of soot / fouling in my experience. Otherwise it seems like a good powder for what you're working with. 20 grains is lower than I'd start at but I don't know too much about the 500 magnum. Good luck

contender1
06-04-2021, 10:12 AM
What do your loading manuals suggest?

Johnch
06-05-2021, 02:31 AM
What do your loading manuals suggest?

I have not bought a new manual for a number of years
So 500 S&W is not even in any of my manuals
So I looked at Alliant online manual and they only list loads for a 350 gr jacketed bullet
So I normally look ( and copy load data from ) at other peoples manuals
A lot of the faster pistol powders I am using are surplus or pulled down , like HP38
I bought a bunch of that years back at the Camp Perry Matches

John

44MAG#1
06-05-2021, 07:48 AM
Hornady has data for a 500 grain bullet.

contender1
06-05-2021, 10:38 PM
"I have not bought a new manual for a number of years"

Manuals are CHEAP insurance & a wealth of info.
I always buy the new versions of the ones I use the most, AND keep my older ones for reference in case something gets discontinued & I happen to need data.
Remember,, those who publish,, use TESTED data. The internet can not always say that. (Unless it's directly from a company that publishes a manual.)

I once saw a guy blow up a S&W M29 at a public range. He wasn't seriously injured,, but the gun was destroyed. When the Army investigators (base public range) questioned him about his ammo, he replied along the lines of; "I filled the cases with the powder I had up to where the bullet was." Turned out,, it was Bullseye powder.
A $30-$35 manual can prevent a LOT of problems and always be available on the bench.