PDA

View Full Version : How do you pronounce submariner?

Thumbcocker
06-02-2021, 10:13 AM
Is it mariner like the folks who do amphibious landings or mariner like in the poem about the ancient mariner?

Shepherd2
06-02-2021, 10:39 AM
Like the ancient mariner.

gwpercle
06-02-2021, 10:50 AM
I thought I knew the answer ... but the more I think on it the less I don't .
We need someone who who served on a Submarine ...
I'm thinking they are Sailor's .
My best guess would be pronounce like US Marine ...with an r on the end Submariner .
Pronunced like the Ancient Mariner ...sub - marr - eneer sounds Wonky ...but might be right .

... all this early morning thinking hurts my mind .
Gary

rockrat
06-02-2021, 10:54 AM
I pronounce it ---sub--mare-in-er

At our next QB meeting, I will ask one of the fellows that served on subs

Ickisrulz
06-02-2021, 11:06 AM
Is it mariner like the folks who do amphibious landings or mariner like in the poem about the ancient mariner?

According to Google/Youtube, it is pronounced marine-er.

dannyd
06-02-2021, 11:07 AM
It’s stands for person that has no screen doors.

Naphtali
06-02-2021, 11:48 AM
According to Google/Youtube, it is pronounced marine-er. Google/Youtube: A vast lake two inches deep!
One exception to pronunciation that might - repeat might - be valid is reference to a baseball pitcher whose specialty is the submarine ball. Carl Mays who fatally beaned Ray Chapman, Kent Tekulve, and others. KMOX radio broadcast St. Louis Cardinals' games when I went to school there. Cardinal game announcers and sports radio hosts nearly always pronounced such pitchers as sub-Marine-ers.

popper
06-02-2021, 11:58 AM
Squid!

rcslotcar
06-02-2021, 11:58 AM
I pronounce it ROLEX.

Ickisrulz
06-02-2021, 12:19 PM
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=5]Google/Youtube: A vast lake two inches deep!

Maybe so. I did find this site on there. What do you make of that?

Come to think of it, Youtube videos have saved me thousands of dollars by giving me the information to make car and appliance repairs. It's not all bad.

gwpercle
06-02-2021, 12:47 PM
It’s stands for person that has no screen doors.

LIKE !
hitting our non existent like button
Gary

Finster101
06-02-2021, 12:59 PM
I know we have at least one on the forum. Maybe he will chime in.

Lloyd Smale
06-02-2021, 02:42 PM
Squid!

dont call one of them that. They tend to think its a separate branch of the service and dont much like being associated with the surface sailors.

Castaway
06-02-2021, 02:45 PM
It has varied across the years, depending on the era, both were acceptable

Mk42gunner
06-02-2021, 04:30 PM
Bubblehead.

Former tincan sailor,

Robert

Capt.Red.44
06-02-2021, 05:12 PM
Sub-mare-in-er

trails4u
06-02-2021, 06:28 PM
Sub-mare-in-er

Agreed.... Son's recruiter was one and he pronounced it this way.

nvbirdman
06-02-2021, 11:07 PM
A guy in our gun club retired from the Navy after spending his career in submarines. He said it is submarine-er, and don't ever pronounce it any other way.

wch
06-03-2021, 07:04 AM
According to Google/Youtube, it is pronounced marine-er.

I pronounce the word like ADM Dykers did when he hosted the TV program "Silent Service".
(Don't know? Take a look, the shows are on Youtube.)

bedbugbilly
06-03-2021, 07:27 AM
Sorry . . . . but I heard the term is no longer politically correct as it can now be construed as gender biased . . . . Biden is now revamping the armed services as cupcake clubs and a submariner will now be referred to as "under-aquatictition".

Shopdog
06-03-2021, 09:54 AM
We had a VG customer (building contracting) who was a 4 star general,and was retired.... was the head of the Southern command.

He was the nicest guy,loved math and would ask me all about trig functions,framing squares,yaddayadda.

He unequivocally said... submarine-er. His words were,the "other way" is like,sub par. And we certainly don't want that. Can't remember what his name was and too lazy to go find it.

OS OK
06-03-2021, 10:00 AM
squid!

bingo!

"they taught us that on the first day of marine boot!"

MT Gianni
06-03-2021, 12:04 PM
I worked with a former submariner. He pronounced it sub mar ree ner, accent is on the ree.

Skipper
06-03-2021, 12:13 PM
My Dad was a submariner ( sub--marine-er ) during WW2 ( SS 419 Tigrone ). If you go to a subvets convention and pronounce it any other way than "sub--marine-er" you're pretty likely to get your teeth knocked out.

A " sub-mare-in-er" is something beneath a Mariner
A sub-marine-er is a sailor who maintains, operates and fights a submersible vessel.

My Dad was on the 5" gun when they fired the last shots of the war:
From the deck logs and wikipedia..
." On 11 August, the first reports of Japan's surrender were received, but, for two more days, Tigrone continued her patrols, approaching within 50 miles (80 km) of the shore of Sagami Wan as she pursued lifeguard duties. On 13 August, with Navy pilots helping to spot targets, she bombarded Mikomoto Island, scoring 11 hits on a radio station and lighthouse tower. The submarine claimed this action as the final bombardment of the war. On 14 August, Tigrone rescued another aviator who had been forced to parachute from his plane and, later in the day, spent an anxious half-hour attempting to evade persistent sonar contacts.

On 15 August, she received orders to cease all attacks; and, the next day, the official statement of Japan's surrender was published. She patrolled off the east coast of Japan as far north as Sendai and Todo Saki. Then, on 30 August, she rendezvoused with "Benny's Peacemakers" and, on the last day of August, moored in Tokyo Bay."

gwpercle
06-03-2021, 12:53 PM
I honestly believe I would rather be called a Sardine than " under- aqua-tictition" tell me that's not a Wonky name !

A more fitting name would be ...
"Steely-Eyed Killers of the Deep" ...
My Dad was a Navy WWII vet , he was a topside sailor serving aboard LST's and Troop Transport ships ... he never spoke of what the proper pronunciation of the guys who manned the sub's ...I don't know .
He had a few names for US Marines ... but I don't want another infraction .
Gary

jsizemore
06-05-2021, 08:52 AM
It's pronounced foolish. Who goes on a ship that intentionally sinks? Of course they call surface ships targets.

"He had a few names for US Marines ... but I don't want another infraction" . I don't think the website has enough bandwidth either.[smilie=l: