PDA

View Full Version : It's going to be a bad year for forest fires.

Idaho45guy
06-02-2021, 02:16 AM
Out here in Idaho and Washington...

https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrcs/detail/id/snow/products/?cid=nrcseprd1491224

Went on an ATV ride today deep in the Idaho backcountry, and normally, this area is still snowed in above 3000'. Went all the way up to 3900' and this was the only snow we found:

Beautiful day in the upper 80's, which is rare for this area in June. The woods were so dry that it felt like late July.

Going to be a very bad year for forest fires, I'm afraid.

zymguy
06-02-2021, 02:29 AM
Hotshots and helitack crews are usually really good customers for small town retail establishments . Hope things green up for ya

abunaitoo
06-02-2021, 02:34 AM
It's dry all over.
Is kakafornicate still burning????
We have a firebug running around.
Using molotov cocktail.
So far no one has died.
cops here, of course, have no idea.
Expecting more fires here.
It is hot and dry.

bakerjw
06-02-2021, 06:35 AM
If anyone ever pays attention to some of my meandering thoughts, I love loading up my cross country mountain bike and heading out through mountain trails and roads. In 2018, myself, my oldest son and a coworker left Banff Ab. in mid August to see how far South we could ride on the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route. It was a hot and dry Summer and into August water was somewhat scarce in the mountains. Everything was parched.
Our coworker and us parted in Eureka as my son had crashed coming down off of Galton Pass and we had to ride at a reduced pace. Ended up with 560 miles in 8 days which was a bit of a low average. All along the way through Montana, the locals were all concerned about fires.

Darn, I love upper Montana. I really out to push to get into shape and go do a Fall ride out of FCA to Eureka and the Flathead valley.

jessdigs
06-02-2021, 08:25 AM
It's dry all over.
Is kakafornicate still burning????
We have a firebug running around.
Using molotov cocktail.
So far no one has died.
cops here, of course, have no idea.
Expecting more fires here.
It is hot and dry.No fires in CA as of yet, but it's going to be a hard year for fires. It's already hot and dry for the time of year, and we didn't get much rain.
Oroville is at 42%

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Mal Paso
06-02-2021, 08:40 AM
I started weed waking 2 weeks ago and noticed the fuel load is less than half that of a normal year due to lack of rain.

calfire pisses and moans however much rain we get but you can't really expect to get a professional firefighting force with politicians overseeing it.

waksupi
06-02-2021, 09:56 AM
Montana is drier than a popcorn fart. I'm expecting a bad fire season, too.

Ickisrulz
06-02-2021, 10:03 AM
It's been raining in my area for weeks now. The ground is soggy and the grass is green. We're getting tired of it.

BK7saum
06-02-2021, 10:10 AM
Yes, we'd be more than happy to share some rain.

Gtrubicon
06-02-2021, 10:52 AM
We had a fire less than 2 miles from us yesterday afternoon, we are just below 3000ft elevation where we live. It was 102 at 3 in the afternoon, it was like an air show. They made 3 drops with a VLAT, it’s amazing how acrobatic a 747 can be.

Dunross
06-02-2021, 10:58 AM
Mighty dry in North Florida too. My pines are dropping needles like crazy right now. Sure hoping we get some rain this week. Supposed to be a good chance today. We'll see.

gwpercle
06-02-2021, 11:03 AM
Not in Louisiana !
June 1 .... First Day of Hurricane Season ...WHOOEEE !!! FUN , FUN , FUN
I wish I could send you guys a little rain ... but I don't know how .
The left says they can control Global Warming ... maybe they know how to get you guys some rain ...should be easy if you can control something as big as Climate Change to the whole planet !
Call your local politicians about getting the rain evenly divided amongst us ... sould be an easy fix .
Gary

MT Gianni
06-02-2021, 11:05 AM
The Jefferson river watershed got less than 10% of normal moisture in May. The forested areas are dry but the grass growth is nil also. Tall grasses really help fires get going until they spread tree to tree. If we get a wet June we might make it, if not it will be a smokey summer.

sundog
06-02-2021, 12:03 PM
It's been raining in my area for weeks now. The ground is soggy and the grass is green. We're getting tired of it.

Yessir, super saturated SE of Tulsa. Part of my property is gently sloped. If I watch carefully I can see water draining across the surface under the grass I have not been able to mow for more than two or three weeks. Cannot access back property except on foot, and then in boots. Not going right now anyway, too many ticks! Might venture out on my walking paths in a week or two and check for blackberries. Nothin' like a good home made cobbler and vanilla bean ice cream.

popper
06-02-2021, 12:44 PM
Her cousin in Lake Charles has water up to the door.

Gator 45/70
06-02-2021, 01:14 PM
It's so wet here I pull a trawl behind my mower to catch.....Grass Shrimp !!!

gwpercle
06-02-2021, 01:24 PM
Her cousin in Lake Charles has water up to the door.

I feel for her ... Poor Lake Charles has been hammered ... back to back devestating Hurricanes , then Ice Storms brought more damage and now ... Flooding !!!
May the Good Lord Protect all those in Lake Charles and help us get some building materials .
My first cousin place , near Lake Charles , is/was flooding to... water coming in the back door... but supposed to start falling .
Gary

PhilC
06-02-2021, 11:15 PM
Out here in Idaho and Washington...

Going to be a very bad year for forest fires, I'm afraid.
Afraid you're right, everything around here is as dry as it normally is late July or early August

reloader28
06-03-2021, 01:01 AM
In the last 7 months I have recorded about 3" of moisture.
We are sitting at about 50% of normal. West of us is 50-75%.
Yellowstone area is about 25+% and going through there last weekend I believe it. Even Sylvin pass had very little snow.
Going to be smelling forest fire smoke in about 3-4 weeks I think.
I hear eastern Montana has already had fire problems

megasupermagnum
06-03-2021, 01:41 AM
It is pretty crazy how fast things change. I've been driving back and forth between Aberdeen, SD and central MN every couple weeks, and it is only 250 miles. Aberdeen is as dry as I have ever seen in this part of the country. I've lived here 3 months now. When I moved here, the ground was dry, there wasn't even snow. It snowed once good, sprinkled snow kind of once, and rained a small amount twice. The lawn is greenish, but obviously not as much water as it likes. The trees are only now to where they have most of their leaves. Now drive only 250 miles east, and it is as normal as ever. Everything is wet, it has rained a couple times a week all spring, everything is grown in fully. Heck, even Alexandria, MN, which is maybe 150 miles east of here has had a fairly normal spring.

In 2 weeks, that could flip flop entirely.

megasupermagnum
06-03-2021, 02:17 AM
Good lord, I just checked the weather report, and it could hit 105 degrees here Saturday! I can't recall ever being in 105 degree heat before. When I was in Florida it was close to 100 once. It was fairly common to see a day of 97-98 every year in MN. Even Arizona, I've only been there in the winter. 105 is a new one for me.

1I-Jack
06-03-2021, 05:05 AM
It's certainly a weird spring for weather in SE Washington. This past Sunday the high was in the 70's (to low 80's). Yesterday we hit triple digits (105 °F). By Saturday it's supposed to be back down in the 70's. I hate it when Cali and Oregon burn, the smoke drifts up here and gets trapped in the Columbia River Basin. Hangs around for weeks.

jim147
06-03-2021, 06:43 AM
Wish we could share some moisture. My pits have never been this full and my yard is a swamp.

I'm going to need to get the brush hog out this weekend just to knock the grass down to a mow able level.

William Yanda
06-03-2021, 06:48 AM
Call your local politicians about getting the rain evenly divided amongst us ... sould be an easy fix .
Gary

It would be racist not to do so, right?

Garyshome
06-03-2021, 09:15 AM
Been dry here in NC for a while now but had a good rain last night.

Garyshome
06-03-2021, 09:16 AM
Gary

It would be racist not to do so, right?

Must be democrats in charge there:coffee:

Dunross
06-03-2021, 09:32 AM
Rained just enough last night that I could see it had happened, but not enough to lay the dust.

Still, it is June now so the hurricane season has officially started. Maybe this week some time. Probably about the time I want to be outside prepping the house to paint!

Conditor22
06-03-2021, 12:50 PM
Oregon had more than its share of fires last year and we're still recovering from it. There are still several camper/tempo homes compounds for displaced people. With the price of lumber, rebuilding is problematic.

chuck40219
06-03-2021, 06:43 PM
Not to make light of those that have had to little or those that have had to much rain.

But I believe all of us are going to be in a bad way for the next 3.5 years. Some with fire some with floods and all with a rise in crime, taxes, and inflation.

Chuck40219

Handloader109
06-03-2021, 06:56 PM
Stupid wet here in NWA. first day in 5 without rain. Due to come in again Sunday through next Thursday. Way more rain this year than I've seen here since I moved here 11 yrs ago.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

abunaitoo
06-03-2021, 09:28 PM
It's suppose to be Hurricane Season here, but so far not a drop of rain or wind.
People are mad all the time.
To many tourist, mask on mask off, price of everything has gone way up, traffic, and hot.
Kettle is boiling and getting ready to blow.

abunaitoo
06-04-2021, 03:13 AM
So funny, It's raining.
From the looks of it, lots of rain.

bakerjw
06-04-2021, 08:11 AM
With the price of lumber, rebuilding is problematic.

If the lower 48 takes a couple of hurricane hits this year, we will be in a bad place. Actually an even worse place.

Idaho45guy
07-12-2021, 03:46 PM
Unfortunately, I was absolutely correct in my prediction...

https://www.idl.idaho.gov/fire-management/

Currently 588 fires in Idaho. We had thunderstorms move through the area last week and they started hundreds of fires.

Cosmic_Charlie
07-12-2021, 03:51 PM
Got a buddy that lives on the Little Spokane River in Elk WA. He is pretty nervous about fires now. At least he gets to cool off in the river. Was out there In 2011 on the 4th and saw the Pend Oreille River absolutely raging at the Boundary Dam above Metaline Falls. Was shaking the ground. They had those discharge chutes going full tilt. Not this year.....

david s
07-12-2021, 03:56 PM
Missoula Montana has fires to the NW, SW and east so we are already smogged in.

Dunross
07-12-2021, 04:14 PM
What Elsa lacked in wind speed she made up for in precipitation - eleven inches. We went from so dry even the native weeds were dying to so wet we have ponds where there used to be dry ground.

Gator 45/70
07-12-2021, 06:24 PM
Some of yall need to apply for stimulus rain, We been getting someone's share for 40 days and 40 nights

Idaho45guy
07-12-2021, 08:14 PM
The scene driving from my house to my girlfriend's house in Idaho...

Graybeard96
07-13-2021, 02:02 PM
Over 300 Wildfires burning in British Columbia and Fire season has just started.

Yesterday somebody took a movie clip of a Guy setting a Forest fire. The Police nabbed the Fracker then a few hours later let him go on a promise to appear in Court. -----------------Whhhhhhhhhhhhhat !

What is wrong with People and the Canadian Justice System ?

Cheers

gwpercle
07-13-2021, 02:18 PM
The little weather girl on TV said that as of today in the Baton Rouge , LA. area we have recieved FIVE FEET of rain so far this year ... she holds her hand about two inches above her head and say's ..
..." this right here is five feet ... it's over my head , it's only July and we haven't had our first hurricane yet !!!"
So I'm thinking to myself ... 300 cubits long , 50 cubits wide and 30 cubits high ... I got to find my cubit drawing scale and get to work on some boat building plans ...what's a cubit !!!
Gary

2A-Jay
07-13-2021, 03:21 PM
WIfe is complaining about her flowers drying up with out any rain. we live 1/4 mile off the beach here in South West WA. Gotta keep the dune grass mowed down in the Back Yard. We have had a little light rain a couple times this week.

Gator 45/70
07-13-2021, 03:49 PM
The little weather girl on TV said that as of today in the Baton Rouge , LA. area we have recieved FIVE FEET of rain so far this year ... she holds her hand about two inches above her head and say's ..
..." this right here is five feet ... it's over my head , it's only July and we haven't had our first hurricane yet !!!"
So I'm thinking to myself ... 300 cubits long , 50 cubits wide and 30 cubits high ... I got to find my cubit drawing scale and get to work on some boat building plans ...what's a cubit !!!
Gary

Same here, Weather dude is saying we have reached out annual rain fall for the year with 6 more months to go its gonna be a wet one !

Cosmic_Charlie
07-13-2021, 03:54 PM
We just had a cloud burst, probably dropped half an inch. Our temps will be in the eighties for days to come which is warmer than I care for.

Savvy Jack
07-13-2021, 04:23 PM
We got lucky here in the east this spring. Only spent 17 days on the east coast, hopefully this fall will also be a bit slow as well. Ya'll be careful out west!

tankgunner59
07-13-2021, 04:48 PM
We just had almost 2 full days of steady rain after an extra wet spring. I wish there was a way of sending some to you folks. I hate to see y'all have it so dry. This last one gave our neighbors in Missouri some ping pong ball size hail, a friend is concerned about his soybeans.

trails4u
07-13-2021, 06:25 PM
https://gacc.nifc.gov/

https://maps.nwcg.gov/sa/#/%3F/%3F/45.8403/-110.7958/6

Good resources for finding info on fires in your area, or other areas if interested.

I'll be seeing you folks out west here quite soon.....

gbrown
07-13-2021, 09:38 PM
Yeah, last month or so, we've had rain every day. Sometimes light, sometimes heavy. Never know. My back yard grows about an inch a day. Need to mow about 4-5 days. As others have said, wish we could share with ya'll.

Zingger
07-13-2021, 09:51 PM
Cubit- Funny story about that. A cubit (to my understanding) is the space from your elbow point to the tip of your middle finger. Last time I ever make that mistake explaining to my Ag Mech kids measurement systems....[smilie=b:

rbuck351
07-14-2021, 12:52 AM
Here in NW MT it has been running from 90 to 105 for the last couple of weeks and hasn't rained since late June. Looks like mid 90s for the next few days at least. It's been smokey from fires somewhere for several days but is starting to clear up.

rockrat
07-14-2021, 11:08 AM
gbrown---when I was in A&P school, one of my teachers was wanting to fertilize his lawn and wondered what to use. He told me how much lawn he had so I told him what to use, 2 bags max. Few weeks later he comes dragging into class and complains about how much he has to mow his lawn. Luckily it has been raining about every other day as he used 20 bags of fertilizer!!!! He swore it grew an inch from the time he left in the morning to the time he got home that evening. He said the bermuda grass runners in a bare spot were growing 3 feet a day. He was mowing every other day and would use 20 lawn bags for the clippings each time. He said the trash people were getting to hate him!!!
I had to laugh when he told us what was going on.:)

Idaho45guy
07-16-2021, 08:31 AM
Current fire map...

richhodg66
07-16-2021, 08:50 AM
ABout 20 years ago, I went as part of a unit out of Fort Bragg to fight fires up in the Libby/Try area of Montana in the Kootenai National Forest. It was a bad fire year then and all the locals told me how bad that hurt their economy both short and long term. Gorgeous country up there, just stunning. I hate to see it happen.

reloader28
07-16-2021, 10:43 AM
I was wrong in my earlier post with 3" of moisture.
After looking at my weather station it says we are at 1.32" for the last 12 months.

rbuck351
07-16-2021, 10:55 AM
I live about 65 miles NE of Libby and fires in this area are a normal every year thing. Usually not much on the news about MT fires as California brush fires get all the press.

Idaho45guy
07-16-2021, 11:22 AM
I live about 65 miles NE of Libby and fires in this area are a normal every year thing. Usually not much on the news about MT fires as California brush fires get all the press.

I've noticed that.

We have record-breaking heat, drought, and fires breaking out everywhere with an impending shortage of water, and it hardly makes the top ten stories on the major networks. But then when a weak hurricane that downgraded to a tropical storm rolled into the Southeast, then it is top of the hour news flash for days. Same with any other moderate weather event that affects the coasts.

zymguy
07-16-2021, 11:27 AM
ABout 20 years ago, I went as part of a unit out of Fort Bragg to fight fires up in the Libby/Try area of Montana in the Kootenai National Forest. It was a bad fire year then and all the locals told me how bad that hurt their economy both short and long term. Gorgeous country up there, just stunning. I hate to see it happen.

Hot shots , heli tack, and the like are part of the economy up here. They eat food in restaurants purchase thousands of bag lunches stay in hotels / bunk houses buy gas .

zymguy
08-21-2021, 10:51 PM
well, they closed the BWCAW today, we could really use some rain !

Ely restaurant closes to feed hundreds of firefighters

https://kbjr6.com/2021/08/21/ely-restaurant-closes-to-feed-hundreds-of-firefighters/

quilbilly
08-22-2021, 12:53 PM
Here is an interesting statistic. The average to-date acreage of wildfires nationally for August 22 is 5,300,000 acres. This year as of Aug. 22 it is 4,800,000 or about 10% below average. These numbers come from the National Interagency Fire Center. The only reason I can think of for this is that the only fire Nevada has had is a spillover from a California fire. Nevada is often the number one contributor to wildfire acreage. Knock on wood - I hope Nevada stays safe.

megasupermagnum
08-22-2021, 11:16 PM
well, they closed the BWCAW today, we could really use some rain !

Ely restaurant closes to feed hundreds of firefighters

https://kbjr6.com/2021/08/21/ely-restaurant-closes-to-feed-hundreds-of-firefighters/

So what do the bear hunters that have a tag in the BWCA zone do next week?

I don't understand what all the panic is all about. I've been driving like crazy this month. I've been all over MN from the western border, to Mora, Glencoe, Bemidji, and between. I've been through eastern ND. I've been all over eastern SD. I'm willing to admit it is dry, but this is nothing earth shattering. It is spotty. One spot can be bone dry, grass turning brown, then drive 30 miles and it can be green and wet as can be. We just had this discussion, the last big drought we had in this area was 2007, and it was worse than this.

P.S. It just rained a ton, and it's headed your way.

zymguy
08-23-2021, 12:06 AM
So what do the bear hunters that have a tag in the BWCA zone do next week?

I don't understand what all the panic is all about. I've been driving like crazy this month. I've been all over MN from the western border, to Mora, Glencoe, Bemidji, and between. I've been through eastern ND. I've been all over eastern SD. I'm willing to admit it is dry, but this is nothing earth shattering. It is spotty. One spot can be bone dry, grass turning brown, then drive 30 miles and it can be green and wet as can be. We just had this discussion, the last big drought we had in this area was 2007, and it was worse than this.

P.S. It just rained a ton, and it's headed your way.

We (ely) are a dry spot. It'll change, hopefully soon. Bear hunters unfortunately are small percentage of the COL (certainly out of luck) Rangers are banging campsites evacuating people who entered before the permits stopped.
No rain received, please send more.

megasupermagnum
08-23-2021, 03:34 PM
Hopefully they issue refunds. Bear isn't like deer. You can't just go hunt the next area. If you have a BWCA tag, you are stuck to the BWCA. I'm sure glad I didn't apply for it this year. I'm now at 3 preference points, so I think I'll apply for that tag next year. I just checked the weather for Ely. It looks like you have on and off rain coming for the next 8-10 days.