PDA

View Full Version : SAvaage-Anschutz Match 64

Mk42gunner
06-01-2021, 07:20 PM
I recently bought one of these rifles, sans sights of course. No handstop either.:(

Knowing that I had seen adapters from the 11mm dovetail to a Redfield sight, I thought I would finally have a use for the Redfield Olympic sight set I have carted around for better than twenty five years.

Wouldn't you know Champion's Choice is out of stock, what with the panic and all.

I have figured out the angle for the sight base and how to cut an 11mm 45 degree dovetail (in theory) I just need to know how wide to make it. Failing anyone having one that can give me dimensions, I plan to set the sight in the middle of its range and take a guesstimated measurement. The part isn't that complicated, I am sure I can make it.

I could just stick a scope on it, but where's the fun in that? I want to try aperture sights first, before my eyes get any worse and I have to go to a scope.

Robert

beshears
06-03-2021, 10:13 AM
25.4 MM per inch so 11 MM should be .43307 at bottom of dovetail.

Mk42gunner
06-03-2021, 03:34 PM
Actually no, the metric folks measure the top of the male dovetail. It is just at 45 degrees vs. the American 30 degree 3/8" dovetail. Consequently some American rings for 3/8" grooves will work for the European 11mm dovetail.

Robert

too many things
06-03-2021, 04:48 PM
the only problem you may find with the weaver or etc is you may have to file the edge of the base to get it to fit to get a sharp edge , i did .

Mk42gunner
06-03-2021, 07:28 PM
Boy did I screw up the title of the thread or what? I do know how to spell Savage, believe it or not.

I had an old set of Weaver rim fire rings on my CZ 452. And I just got a new set of Weaver quadlock rings that fit fine on this Savage-Anshutz and the CZ.

I just want to use aperture sights on this rifle, while I still have a chance to see them. One of our members is looking through his junk room so maybe...

Robert

shooterg
06-05-2021, 11:40 AM
Is this your huckleberry ?

My records show I sold that 64 in 2011 ! Not the last mistake I made either.

The dovetail on bottom of the sight is blind - maybe 2" adjustment in eye relief but wouldn't slide on far enough on other rifles I tried it on. Thought about d&t mount but couldn't bring myself to put holes in it and have some Lymans and Palmas around anyway - although after my 3 score and 10, using apertures is iffy.

I tried to find one for sale online so I could ask about half with no luck. So I'll PM you what it's worth to me .

Mk42gunner
06-06-2021, 12:27 AM
Not exactly what I'm looking for, but I'll still take it as per our PM's. It may work better than what I was thinking of.

Robert