PDA

View Full Version : Great day at the range today

Wooserco
06-01-2021, 07:17 PM
Started out setting everything out to shoot three new to us handguns.

The S&W Model 60 (1-7/8 bbl) and S&W Model 67-5 (4-1/8 bbl) and the SAR-9 semi auto.

Out of the box, the 60 shot to point of aim with 158 gr SWC commercial cast over 3.5 gr. BE. Dead nuts on. The SAR-9 with Hornaday Critical Defense ammo was almost as good. The Combat Masterpiece is going to take some work.

However: considering that it's been 23 years since I've squeezed a trigger, I'm very pleased.

Just waiting for the shortage to lessen so that I can get a mold, brass and primers for the 9 mm. I've got 300 rounds of factory ammo coming that should give me a start. BUT......

charlie b
06-01-2021, 09:29 PM
Congrats and welcome back to the fold. A bad day shooting is better than.....almost anything :) A good day shooting is something to remember.

Wild Bill 7
06-01-2021, 10:25 PM
Mrs. Wild Bill and I went to the range yesterday also and had a great time also. Took her 10/22, Savage Mark ll, and a Winchester 22 magnum. Didn’t have much time but it was her first time in a while to the range. Sighted her 10/22 and she shot very good. We were at the 50 yard range and a man and his son were leaving the 300 yard range and said a deer walk right out in the open when he fired his last shot. She moved pretty fast to get out of the way.

Thumbcocker
06-02-2021, 09:51 AM
Mrs. Wild Bill and I went to the range yesterday also and had a great time also. Took her 10/22, Savage Mark ll, and a Winchester 22 magnum. Didn’t have much time but it was her first time in a while to the range. Sighted her 10/22 and she shot very good. We were at the 50 yard range and a man and his son were leaving the 300 yard range and said a deer walk right out in the open when he fired his last shot. She moved pretty fast to get out of the way.

At the range Mrs. Thumbcocker and I go to there have been times when a ceas fire has had to be called to let deer or turkeys pass through.

whisler
06-02-2021, 07:10 PM
Deer at our club range like to suddenly pop out from behind the target stands. How they get there unseen is a mystery.

Wooserco
06-02-2021, 08:13 PM
The deer and turkeys remind me of the time at Boy Scout Camp that I received a note from the Archery Range Merit Badge Instructor; "You need to come see me to get rid of the evidence."

Turns out that one of my Boy Scouts couldn't resist and plugged a Turkey crossing the archery range every morning.

I took the "evidence" and the boys made it ready for the camp "Cook Off." Needless to say, they took first place for their hiding of the evidence under a trash can. "Trash Can Turkey."

FYI: light half a 20 lb. bag of charcoal in the lid of a 20 lb. trashcan. Spread aluminum foil on the ground ad drive a stake into the ground in the center. Impale a turkey onto the stake and invert a 20 lb trashcan over it. Take half of the 20 lb. charcoal and light it in the inverted lid. Spread it on top of the inverted trash can. Spread the rest of the 20 lb. (approx. 10 lbs.) on the top and around the perimeter of the trash can. In two hours, you will have the most delicious turkey that you can imagine.

If desired, put your corn on the cob or foil wrapped potatoes on the coals... Makes a fantastic dinner.

Did I mention that the boys took first place in the Boy Scout Camp Cook Off.

The also took the honors for desert: Camp harvested wild blue berry muffins with home made ice cream on a hand cranked ice cream maker. (Yard sale item: best $0.50 that I've ever spent:)

Mal Paso
06-04-2021, 07:42 PM
At the range Mrs. Thumbcocker and I go to there have been times when a ceas fire has had to be called to let deer or turkeys pass through.

At Laguna Seca Deer and Turkeys often cross the range during gunfire. So far no cease fires but they warn you, if you hit one you get Banned.

popper
06-04-2021, 08:10 PM
Our range has RO cats and squirrels. None are to be targets.

charlie b
06-04-2021, 08:50 PM
At one of the ranges I went to most animals were off limits. But, they encouraged shooting the coyotes that would sometimes appear.