PDA

View Full Version : Old RCBS bench primer

abunaitoo
05-30-2021, 03:44 AM
Got this old RCBS bench primer.
It's missing the two primer punches.
Anyone else have one????
If so, can I get a picture of the punches????
Any idea what model it is????
How old it might be????
I'm going to try and contact RCBS to see if they have the punches.

Shawlerbrook
05-30-2021, 06:25 AM
Standard Bench Priming tool. Check out page 14, the primer punch numbers are the same for the Standard and current tool so the new one’s should work. Great find !
https://www.rcbs.com/on/demandware.static/-/Library-Sites-HuntShootAccessoriesSharedLibrary/default/dw97840776/productPdfFiles/rcbsPdf/Parts_Book.pdf

Pressman
05-30-2021, 08:05 AM
That's the original Lachmiller design configured for RCBS punches and shell holders. It's an exceptionally good design that remains useful today. I have one setup on my bench. As it uses current production punches it will be a long lasting tool.

1hole
05-30-2021, 08:55 AM
Got this old RCBS bench primer.
It's missing the two primer punches.
Anyone else have one????
If so, can I get a picture of the punches????
Any idea what model it is????
How old it might be????
I'm going to try and contact RCBS to see if they have the punches.

I have a universal press priming arm and both punches on the Pay It Forward forum below. Those punches (and spring) should provide what you need and at no cost to you; check it out.

Baltimoreed
05-30-2021, 10:36 AM
I almost always prime on my presses but do occasionally use an old Lee Autoprime. This would certainly save your thumb. Nice tool.

Three44s
05-30-2021, 10:50 AM
Standard Bench Priming tool. Check out page 14, the primer punch numbers are the same for the Standard and current tool so the new one’s should work. Great find !
https://www.rcbs.com/on/demandware.static/-/Library-Sites-HuntShootAccessoriesSharedLibrary/default/dw97840776/productPdfFiles/rcbsPdf/Parts_Book.pdf

I have the next version of that tool and that was my experience. The first person I spoke with at RCBS told me “no parts” available.

After reviewing the part numbers I found that they were in fact available.

I waded through the phone system and got a different person and asked for the particular part numbers (same as the current bench tool) and they would not take money for them. They sent them for free!

Part # 09471, page 14 in the above linked parts book

VIVA RCBS!

Three44s

Pressman
05-30-2021, 11:25 AM
1hole, that is a nice offer, but it unfortunately will not work with the RCBS bench tools. They use a stand-alone punch about 2 inches long.

RickinTN
05-30-2021, 11:31 AM
RCBS does not support that tool any longer. They do, however, support the Ram Prime tool. The primer punches are the same as mentioned above a little less than 2" long. I have a couple of the generation after yours which has a rectangular body.
Good Luck,
Rick

abunaitoo
05-30-2021, 08:05 PM
Sent 1hole a PM.
I'll see if it can be modified to work.