PDA

View Full Version : 03' Springfield barrel break-in..............

Ray1946
05-29-2021, 12:43 PM
I recently installed a new Criterian barrel on my late 03'(5-42) Springfield. How many J-bullets should I put thru the tube to break-in the barrel? This is the first "new" barredl I have ever had on a rifle. Thanks for the help..........................

ShooterAZ
05-29-2021, 12:58 PM
There are many different schools of thought on this subject, ranging from "one shot/one clean" to just shooting it. I am in the just shooting it camp. Shoot five rounds, clean and repeat would be somewhere in the middle.

Der Gebirgsjager
05-29-2021, 01:46 PM
I'd just put it right to work.

DG

Winger Ed.
05-29-2021, 02:09 PM
Just shoot like normal is probably fine.

I like the 'new toy' sort of thing. I'll shoot 1 and clean for the first five.
After that, I'll just shoot & clean like I would a older barrel.

Krag 1901
05-29-2021, 02:21 PM
I put a new Criterion on the Krag and shot a hundred 150 gr FMJ's cleaning often and then shot lead ever since. Oddly the new barrel is not that much better than the pitted old 1901 barrel was, but lots easier to clean!

Char-Gar
05-29-2021, 03:00 PM
I shoot four five shot groups cleaning in between for a total of twenty rounds. After that I can go to cast or whatever else.

Texas by God
05-29-2021, 03:47 PM
I just proceed to shoot like normal without cleaning until it needs it. I've broke in many barrels this way.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Win94ae
05-29-2021, 08:01 PM
Barrel Break-In Procedure
Posted on May 12, 2014 by Criterion (https://criterionbarrels.com/media/barrel-break-in-procedure/?v=7516fd43adaa)

NEKVT
05-30-2021, 12:07 AM
I put a new Criterion on the Krag and shot a hundred 150 gr FMJ's cleaning often and then shot lead ever since. Oddly the new barrel is not that much better than the pitted old 1901 barrel was, but lots easier to clean!

I also have a Criterion barrel on my Krag sporter that so far with limited testing doesn't shoot as well as the old sewer pipe. I ran about 40 jacketed through it before switching to cast. The Criterion was cut down to 20" and crowned by a gunsmith and looks as clean as the one it came with. The old one was cut down with my hacksaw, filed flat and the crown cleaned out with an RCBS chamfering tool. I did notice the barrel band needed an adjustment with the Criterion barrel so it could be a slightly different diameter that throws off the barrel to stock fit that worked so well for 116 years. May have to play with that.

Krag 1901
06-07-2021, 05:24 PM
I also have a Criterion barrel on my Krag sporter that so far with limited testing doesn't shoot as well as the old sewer pipe. I ran about 40 jacketed through it before switching to cast. The Criterion was cut down to 20" and crowned by a gunsmith and looks as clean as the one it came with. The old one was cut down with my hacksaw, filed flat and the crown cleaned out with an RCBS chamfering tool. I did notice the barrel band needed an adjustment with the Criterion barrel so it could be a slightly different diameter that throws off the barrel to stock fit that worked so well for 116 years. May have to play with that.

My Krag has a sporter stock and the front of the barrel is held down with the sling swivel screw. other than that it is free floating. The new barrel is doing pretty well. Once I get to casting some more 314299 sized .311" I'll see how well I can shoot it. I have gotten one group if 10 of 15 rounds of 312-160-2R;s to shoot in an inch at 100 yards, which I thought pretty good for aperture sights and an old man.