PDA

View Full Version : Alloy of bird shot

Seafarer12
01-03-2009, 10:10 AM
Hey guys,
Does anyone know the alloy of bird shot? I know it is pretty hard but does anyone know what the standard alloy is. The price is coming down around here almost enough that I am thinking about buying a couple of sacks to keep around for when my lino runs out.
Thanks,

Shiloh
01-03-2009, 11:33 AM
I've thought about using it as a hardening alloy for range scrap/accquired scrap boolits.
Like you, I haven't got a clear or reliable answer on the lead/tin/antimony ratio is. It has a higher antimony content.

I'm glad that the price is coming down where you live. It isn't in my neck of the woods. That's why I hold off purchasing. $38+ for a 25 pound bag. I've purchased printers scrap linotype for less, and I KNOW what that ratio is.

Shiloh

runfiverun
01-03-2009, 01:26 PM
magnum shot is usually 5% antimony,for sizes 6-9.
the larger sizes are in the 3% range. but these do have arsenic in them usually.
some of the brands offer chilled shot which is hard [cause it is water dropped]

Larry Gibson
01-03-2009, 03:33 PM
I used to use the magnum shot alloy WQ'd for hunting bullets (this is an old Paco kelly trick). The magnum shot alloy thus gives a hard bullet that is quite maleable with no brittleness. They work quite well. However with the advent of todays current crop of much softer WWs I've found WW/lead at 50/50 to give about the same results.

The magnum shot can also be alloyed with pure lead and tin in appropriate amounts to make some pretty decent #2 alloy.

Larry Gibson