PDA

View Full Version : MAB Model D

bearbud
05-27-2021, 04:54 PM
I just acquired a MAB Model D in a very good condition. It was one of these “too good to pass” deals and now I have to use it. The gun appears in original condition and came with two what seem to be original magazines. There was no ammo to be found, so I loaded some. Berry’s 71 RNTMJ with 2.4g of unique (790fps), and 2.0g W231 (798fps). The gun shoots these two loads OK, but 5” low at 15’. Rear sight looks original and I don’t want to look for another one. Do you think that slowing these loads down will fix the impact point? Also, I have Lyman 311-419 (casts @~90g) that I can try. Do you think that this heavier boolit may help?
Another issue that I observed with this gun was feeding problems. I am not new to shooting this cartridge and I have other 32ACP guns (Colt 1903 and FN1910). So, I am aware of the semi-rim 32ACP case and the potential for feeding problems. I have noticed feeding problems with this MAB D that I haven’t see with the two other pistols. If I load the magazine (that can hold 9rds) to above 5rds, the top round semi-rim catches on the round beneath it causing the bullet to dive and the slide will miss it as it goes into battery. Upon releasing the magazine, it is then very difficult to remove this top round from the magazine due to the rim catching. This is happening with the two magazines (that appears in great shape) and with ammo that function well in the other two guns. So it could be that the two magazines are not proper, but the chance for this is low. Do you have any idea on how to fix this?
Bearbud

Outpost75
05-28-2021, 12:05 AM
European military ball ammo was loaded with a heavier 74-77 grain bullet at a higher velocity of 300 m/s (984 fps). I would suggest the Accurate 31-077B bullet with 2 grains of Titegroup or 3 grains of AutoComp at a minimum OAL of 0.955"