PDA

View Full Version : Lever action 22 LR - Which one?????

Sam Sackett
05-27-2021, 03:34 PM
I have been thinking of getting a lever action 22LR. I have handled the Rossi, the Henry and the Browning. They all seem to have about the same feel and I don't know which I would pick.
The Rossi - the action felt good, but I'm not sure I like the light colored wood.
The Henry - the action was similar to the Rossi and I liked the darker wood. Henry also has a lifetime warranty.
The Browning - probably the smoothest action, but a couple hundred higher cost.

I'd like to hear what others think. Anyone have these, or maybe can speak of their preference and why?

Sam Sackett

para45lda
05-27-2021, 03:38 PM
I like the little Browning as the trigger drops with the lever - no pinched finger!

I like the Marlin 39A too, if you can find one reasonable.

Wes

pietro
05-27-2021, 03:51 PM

FWIW, I've owned/shot/hunted with over 10 different brands of .22LR leverguns, and IMO the best in terms of finish/functioning/dependability was the Winchester 9422-XTR - well worth the cost....

However, the most consistently accurate /22LR levergun is a Marlin 39a. (I've owned several different examples over the years)

YMMV, but there's plenty of like-new examples in the marketplace.

Electrod47
05-27-2021, 04:09 PM
Got a Henry .22 mag w/octagon barrel and wide loop. Good lookin Smooth action. Came with Skinner sights. Very accurate. AND not that expensive.

GregLaROCHE
05-27-2021, 04:15 PM
My friend got a Henry a year ago and I liked it. I’ve starting looking hard at the ones with the brass receivers.

Sam Sackett
05-27-2021, 04:53 PM
Yep. I also like the 94-22 and the 39A. But...... Seems like the folks that have them don't want to let them go. And the ones that are for sale seem like the owners are reeeal proud of them. That's what got me looking at the new ones.

Sam Sackett

Walks
05-27-2021, 05:05 PM
Win 9422 or Marlin 39.
Had a Browning BL-22, I was so used to a full stroke on a Lever that I broke it. Browning fixed it for free and I sold it.
Won a henry 22LR at a Cowboy shoot when they first came out. Didn't work for beans. Sold it straight away, never touched another.

Find a used 39 or 9422. Or a BL-22, lots swear by the short stroke. And they Are Good Guns.

Cargo
05-27-2021, 05:14 PM
I have fairly limited .22 lever experience, I had a 9422 when I was a kid and now my teenage son has a Henry youth model. When the Henry goes to the range there is normally 5 kids and 2-3 adults shooting it. The action is smooth as glass, everyone hits what they're aiming at and to date we have not had one issue with it. It's not my old 9422 but for $275 it's been a great stand in so far.

Krag 1901
05-27-2021, 05:23 PM
My BL-22 is my only lever action. I love it and could shoot it as fast as a simi-auto. Kinda out of practice now though.

Mk42gunner
05-27-2021, 06:20 PM
My top four, depending on what is available would be the Marlin Model 39A, the Winchester 9422XTR, the Browning BL-22, and the Ithaca Model 72 (IIRC) it is what the Henry evolved from, made by Erma in West Germany.

After those four come all the rest. I don't like the plastic sights and barrel bands that were on the first Henry I bought, never had any of the later versions.

Robert

Bazoo
05-27-2021, 06:50 PM
If you view life across the cover of your bank register, then get whichever interests you. Personally I’d rather view life across the top of a marlin 39s solid steel receiver.

I’ve had 3 Henry, a 9422, and a marlin 39AS. The 39 is by far the better gun. Better, not in the sense that it cost less, or shot better, but in overall workmanship and pride of ownership.

The Henry, frontier model, which has an octagon barrel and marble sights is a nice specimen though. Never had this model but if I get another it’ll likely be that.

I don’t like plastic sights or bands, or painted receivers. I can deal with the painted receiver better that the plastic though. I had a standard model and the carbine model with large loop. I was unimpressed with their accuracy. It’s been a while now, but best I recall, the carbine would miss a coke can at 25 yards some of the time. I don’t recall the other what it did or didn’t do.

The golden boy I had was a good gun, but the comb was too low to feel right. The plating started coming off the receiver cover too.

Shawlerbrook
05-27-2021, 07:08 PM
I have the plain Jane Henry H001 that I paid around $250 new. Not made like a Browning or Marlin, but for the price , hands down the best choice.

gpidaho
05-27-2021, 07:13 PM
I don't shoot it a lot or any 22s for that matter but I've been happy with my old Ruger 96-22. Gp

dverna
05-27-2021, 07:54 PM
I have a NIB 9422, and like new BL-22 Grade II. They are too pretty to get dinged up so use the Henry...paid $200 for it and money well spent.

I need to sell the 9422 and Browning...

My advice is get the Henry. Decent rifle for the money. If cost is not too important, get the 9422.

Gewehr-Guy
05-27-2021, 07:56 PM
My first real .22 was a Browning BL-22. I have never had a problem with it, after many thousands of rounds through it, and killed probably close to a thousand jack rabbits with it ,and many more gophers.

I also have used a 9422, and consider it to be the best designed and toughest built lever 22 you can find. It is also the nicest looking of the bunch, unless you can find an octagon barrel Marlin 39.

While I really like the Marlin, my choice would be the Winchester 9422, if you can find one.

Norske
05-27-2021, 10:29 PM
My BL-22 Browning was for me a bit too light for accuracy unless there was something I could use as a rest, then it was amazing. The Henry 22 may still have some "pot metal" internal parts (the Erma did). Nice Winchester 9422's sell for around $900 near me. Marlin 39's are hard to find.
Good luck in your search for the one you like.

richhodg66
05-27-2021, 10:32 PM
There is no other lever action .22 LR besides the Marlin 39A.

TNsailorman
05-27-2021, 11:09 PM
Marlin 39A all the way. I've had one since 1966 and it has ruined me for any other, and I have shot quite a few .22's in my day. My 39A would outgroup a Winchester 52 that I had at one time. It is by far the most accurate .22 I have ever shot. I entered it in a .22 rifle match on a whim one saturday at a local club match. About 30 competitors and most shooting Anschutz, BSA's and a few custom made match rifles. My little Marlin strutted her stuff that day and it finished 3rd with a cheap Weaver .22 scope on it. I have since put a Leupold 2-7 Rimfire Model scope on it. It sits in Control bases and rings. Everyone that has shot that rifle has tried to buy it. It will leave my possession only after I cross over Jordan. james

indian joe
05-27-2021, 11:29 PM
My top four, depending on what is available would be the Marlin Model 39A, the Winchester 9422XTR, the Browning BL-22, and the Ithaca Model 72 (IIRC) it is what the Henry evolved from, made by Erma in West Germany.

After those four come all the rest. I don't like the plastic sights and barrel bands that were on the first Henry I bought, never had any of the later versions.

Robert

I inherited an Erma, somebody wore it out before I got it - I did a rebuild and its a cool little lever gun - a new one of these would be nice - but junk metal reciever .....?
Had a 250 winchester lever when I was young - same deal, alloy junk receiver, gun wore out, barrel and all looked good still.
Got a Uberti 66 in 22lr in a trade years back - its my snake gun over summer - never saw another one of those but I like it .

uscra112
05-27-2021, 11:56 PM
. *snip* However, the most consistently accurate /22LR levergun is a Marlin 39a. (I've owned several different examples over the years).

Double dittos re: the Marlin. If, God forbid, mine were to disappear in a blinding flash of burglary, I will buy a used 39a over any other .22 lever-gun I know of, price be dammed.

shtur
05-28-2021, 12:02 AM
I use my .22's for small game hunting.
I owned a 39A, which is heavy for it's size and caliber. I had a 39A mountie, and it felt heavy for it's size/caliber.
I have a BL-22, and after replacing both front and rear sights, it is my wife's rabbit getter.

stubshaft
05-28-2021, 02:11 AM
There is no other lever action .22 LR besides the Marlin 39A.

Ditto! The Winchester 9422 would be my second choice.

1Papalote
05-28-2021, 06:36 AM
Marlin Mountie, if you can find one.
Much lighter than 39A.

My favorite 22 was a pump gun, an early Rossi (Winchester clone)

Buzz Krumhunger
05-28-2021, 06:51 AM
I’ve owned a Marlin 39, a 9422, and a Henry. Got rid of the Henry when the paint got scratched off the pot metal receiver by a brass rivet in a saddle scabbard.

Guns with pot metal receivers remind me of junky RG revolvers.

John Taylor
05-28-2021, 08:47 AM
Was at a gun show a while back and saw two 1897 Marlins that had price tags over $3,000. I have one that is in need of repair and will get to it when I have time. Out of all the 22s I have owned the #4 Remington tops them all with the 1890 Winchester next, have not found a 22 lever gun that I like yet.

Drm50
05-28-2021, 09:12 AM
My first rifle was a 1897 Marlin. I still have it and couldn’t estimate the number of rounds that were run through it when I was a kid. My dad bought it out of collection for $8 in 1955. I bought a new 39m in 70s for my kids. They got over their western phase and preferred Nylon 66. The 39m was as smooth and accurate as my 97. I put a receiver sight on it and used it for squirrel a few years.
It was lightly used and I just sold it a few months ago. I’ve owned Wins and Brownings and Ithaca.
Ithaca 72 is junk. I’ve shot Henry’s. Cant say anything bad about them, just not my cup of tea. The Marlin is like a 1911 Colt, it is what other Lever 22s are judged by. It’s been around since the early versions of 1892.

bedbugbilly
05-28-2021, 09:19 AM
I have 2 Henrys - one is an older youth model with a Brooklyn address 0 the other one is one of the "Frontier" models - a beautiful rifle with great walnut, octagon barrel - can't remember the model numbers but not the brass models. Both have butter smooth actions and work flawlessly.

Everyone has their favorite brand - handle them and see which fits you the best and which fits your budget. I don't shoot mine much because of the higher cost of ammo during this shortage and trouble finding it. I hav a supply of it on hand - while I prefer shooting LR - my Henrys feed and shoot Shorts and Longs just fine so I'm not limited to LR. I would imagine the others can do the same.

I like a lever action 22, but I also view them as a all around utility gun - for plinking fun, small game, critters, etc - not for precision target work. Will one brand shot or work better than another brand? Maybe yes, maybe no - all depends on who is looking down the barrel - plus it's no secret that some 22 ammo just seems to work better than others and in these times, what is on the shelf is probably going to dictate what brand of ammo you shoot. Every brand of rifle will also have its plusses and minuses too.

Regardless of the make you go with, a lever action22 will put a big smile one your face whether you are a kid or an "old man" like many of us are. Good luck - hope you find the right one for you and when you do - have fun and enjoy the heck out if it.

Lksdmachine
05-28-2021, 10:01 AM
Excellent suggestions in here. I personally prefer a mechanism/receiver made of steel for longevity. Henry receivers are cast aluminum alloy, may be fine, but I never got hooked on that. Same for the new Rossi receivers.

Some additional points of interest would be the Marlin 56(magazine fed) and 57(tube fed) “levermatic”. These sport a very short travel lever where you can cycle the action and never let go of the grip area of the stock. They are becoming more rare these days and are bringing well over 500 each for nice specimens. 1st year production model 56’s are steel receivers and all 57 s,l,lr receivers are alloy unfortunately. The 57 alloy receiver bothered me so much having it be alloy that I took a 56 action and machined it for the tube feed.....now I have a 57 in s,l,lr with a steel receiver.

Another of my favorites is a Taurus 62LA. This is a very rare lever gun based on the Winchester 62 pump action mechanism. Rossi and Taurus made the steel receiver copies of those pump guns in rimfire in blued steel, nickel plate steel and polished stainless. Taurus followed suit with producing a lever action incorporating what Winchester did only in prototype form. Unfortunately the Taurus 62LA is super hard to find and very pricey when encountered. (Made under 2yrs). I’m a rimfire nut and love bizarre or rare mechanisms.

Anyway, it’s all fun and good, enjoy your search!!

pietro
05-28-2021, 10:48 AM
I have a NIB 9422, and like new BL-22 Grade II.

I need to sell the 9422 and Browning...

Maybe you can sell ne of them to the OP, Sam Sackett...…..

BTW, while the quality of workmanship/fit/finish on the BL-22 is superb, I found it to be so light that I found it difficult to hold steady enough for effective shots when hunting (TMMV)

nhithaca
05-28-2021, 01:24 PM
I got a Winchester 150 for Christmas when I was 14, still have it. Always shot very well and still looks & works great. Bought a Marlin 39a Mountie a few years ago and must agree with others here that it is a great rifle. If you can find one that is!

MostlyLeverGuns
05-28-2021, 01:47 PM
I have a 9422 Winchester, a Marlin 56, two Marlin 39A's, a Ruger 96-22 Mag, and three Henry's, the 24" Octagon, a 20" Octagon 17 HMR and the H001 'standard' model. The Henry H001 20" 'standard' round barrel is the rifle my wife and I shoot the most with the 24" Henry Octagon barrel a close second. With good ammo and a 4-12 Nikon Monarch scope, the 24" Octagon will go under 2 MOA on a good day at 100 yards with the Henry H001 standard coming very close to that. The .17 HMR is more accurate but much more expensive to shoot and does not kill critters very well so I consider the .17 HMR a mistake except for 200 yard practice maybe. The Henry rifle is good, the 17 HMR caliber is the problem. The Browning .22 had some problems with the trigger, trigger return spring or something very long ago, might be fixed now? You are not properly maipulating a lever action rifle if you have your finger inside the trigger guard while working the lever. Millions and millions of Winchester, Marlin and Savage Lever actions manage to function without pinching fingers, a pinched trigger finger is operator error (unless you are disabled in some manner). Hard to beat the Henry's.

Eddie Southgate
05-28-2021, 02:44 PM
Of the three you mentioned I would hands down take the Browning even if it meant a short wait to accumulate more funds . I think it's the best rifle of the bunch plus I think in the long term it will hold it's value much better than the Henry or the Rossi .

Between the Browning and the Marlin's others have suggested ,it is a toss up in my mind , I would be very happy with either .

Sam Sackett
05-28-2021, 09:14 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Makes me want to keep looking for an older lever gun. I have never handled either the 9422 or the 39A. I think I’ll hold off purchasing until I can handle them to see what really fits me.

Thanks again,
Sam Sackett

jstanfield103
05-29-2021, 06:06 AM
Out of all the 22lr levers out there I will list them in the way they are as far as make , quality and accuracy.

1. Winchester 9422, the best lever out of all the levers. Direct feed, smooth as silk and accuracy that none can beat. Build quality is also far superior. Most people including me have this rifle and rate it the best. But is also the most expensive.

2. Marlin 39A, Solid, very well built rifle. Clunky action compared to the Winchester but designed that way. Not direct feed rifle will not feed from any angle (if that matters). Very good accuracy and take down is very easy. I prefer the straight stock Mountie over the pistol stocked regular 39A

3. Browning BL-22, Very well built rifle. The part of the receiver that the stock attaches to is some sort of aluminum but the rest of the receiver is steel. It is also direct feed so can be chambered at any angle. 33 Degree lever throw (allows you to keep your hand on the grip to lever the action) Reassembly of rifle can be a pain. Accuracy is almost as good as the Marlin and Winchester. Lighter rifle than the other two. Best feature is the magazine tube which can be use by a button and closed in any position. No grooved J slot to run a tab into like all the other rifles. This is my favorite out of all the other rifles. It goes to the range 4 times compared to the other rifles. Just love my BL-22's

Henry 22's, Not direct feed. accuracy is on par and close if not the same as the other rifles. Has a lifetime warranty. Made cheaper than the other rifles, not much is steel in the receiver. Heavier rifle and barrel I believe is a softer metal. I have owned several Henry 22's they do not seem to stay around like my other lever 22's. Smooth action almost if not equal to the smoothness of the Winchester. Build quality as far as workman ship very good. Everything matches up and they make a beautiful rifle.

4. Rossi, I have only had one Rossi rifle in pump action. Parts seemed to wear down to easy in it and I did not keep it for and extended time. The have kind of a bad reputation but I do think they are improving their quality. So really can not comment on the Rossi. They seem to be liked.

For me I will stay with my Winchester, Marlin and Browning rifles the best top three in that order. But the Browning being my favorite just because the one I shoot all the time is an old beater that I saved and is worn in well and don't ever have to worry about. Plus I like the feed tube and the short lever throw.

Winchester 1972 made

https://i.postimg.cc/TYnNYd7b/Winchester-115184.jpg (https://postimg.cc/1f5rvQZR)

1955 Marlin 39A Mountie

https://i.postimg.cc/Bv0hpnxC/1955-1-Marlin-39-M.jpg (https://postimg.cc/VJKBL1ZS)

1980 Browning BL-22. Had a rough life before me. But my favorite rifle.

https://i.postimg.cc/9MzMwVMd/BL-22-2.jpg (https://postimg.cc/cgyZPpfC)

Rich/WIS
05-29-2021, 06:25 PM
Have had an M39 and a Win 250. The M39 went to my son and hte Win is long gone as well. Liked the 250 and got it 63 just after they came out. Not sure of the round count (a lot) but about 67-68 had to send it back to Win, the locking recess in the alloy receiver wore out. Win put a new receiver on it and that eventually began to wear out as well.

rintinglen
05-29-2021, 11:30 PM
I have a 39A that will be for sale only after I die. That would be my first choice. I would have taken a Winchester 9422, but they were a hundred bucks more back then, and at that time a hundred bucks meant a lot to me. I found mine in a pawn shop and with a bit of dickering, I got it for $265.00. I would have liked a Mountie, but I never found one for sale until long after I got the 39A. By then, I had fallen for the longer barreled Marlin's accuracy.

ktw
05-31-2021, 05:09 PM
If it doesn't have to be a repeater, don't forget about the Winchester Low Wall. There are some quite good Miroku built, Winchester badged examples out there in the used market that don't attract quite the same price attention as the 9422's and 39s. It meets all my needs for a hunting 22.

-ktw

Hodagtrapper
05-31-2021, 05:35 PM
I have owned plenty of rifles in bolt, pump and single shot but only one lever action .22. That is a Henry loop handled, round blued barrel and receiver model. Very accurate rifle for me and functions perfectly. The older models mentioned above would be fine choices too.

Chris

indian joe
05-31-2021, 05:45 PM
Have had an M39 and a Win 250. The M39 went to my son and hte Win is long gone as well. Liked the 250 and got it 63 just after they came out. Not sure of the round count (a lot) but about 67-68 had to send it back to Win, the locking recess in the alloy receiver wore out. Win put a new receiver on it and that eventually began to wear out as well.

I had a winchester 150 ----same deal, the locking recess wore out - I got it fixed enough to work and traded it off - liked the gun a lot (proly why it wore out :bigsmyl2:) Ifn I knew then what I knew now might be coulda fixed it properly - thinking steel insert in the top of the reciever somehow ?

beltfed
05-31-2021, 11:20 PM
Still have and love my 39A Mountie I bought second hand in early 60s for $45
Very accurate and dependable squirrel rifle.
beltfed/arnie

MrWolf
06-01-2021, 07:57 AM
I have a new Henry and my Marlin. Hands down Marlin. Good luck.

veeman
06-01-2021, 03:05 PM
I only have a Winchester 9422, had it for over 30 years now. Very accurate, need no other. But I grew up on marlin model 60's and 70's, my brother's and I shot them till they wouldn't shoot no more. Still a model 70 hanging in the milkhouse for coon's and such, the sole survivor.

veeman
06-01-2021, 03:13 PM
Thinking back now, It was the Remington Thunderbolts we shot. Thousands of them. Weekly trip to Farm and Fleet to buy them when we got our allowance. It was all us poor farm boys could afford at the time, They shot most of the time, crap ammo that they are, but it served the purpose at the time. Then I got a Winchester Ranger 30-30, and I was a big boy! LOL!

FergusonTO35
06-01-2021, 04:04 PM
Love my Henry H001T, and it shoots Thunderjams just fine. A new one will cost you the same as a really ragged 39 or 9422 and comes with Henry's great customer service backing it. The BL-22 would be my second choice, it's a super nice gun with Miroku quality at a very reasonable price. We have gotten a few of the Rossi guns in at my side job shop and I don't think they are a good value even if they shoot ok. They cost almost as much as the USA made Henry that they are loosely copied from and Rossi's QC and customer service doesn't have the best reputation.

Cosmic_Charlie
06-01-2021, 04:48 PM
The thing about a .22 RF is that it has to be accurate to be useful. Small game, small target. I always wanted a Browning, liked that short throw action. And I've shouldered a Henry youth model and thought it fit just fine. Make a very handy and portable .22. Whatever you decide to go with, I hope it is accurate. These days it may be difficult to try more than a few makes of ammo.

smkummer
06-01-2021, 05:22 PM
Marlin 39A. Love the pistol grip. Shot my late brothers Erma lever 22 ( now a Henry) and while compact and quality, I greatly prefer the Marlin 39A. After finding good examples at gun shows for others, I finally about 5 years ago got one for myself. It was slightly appearance challenged but for $250, I found a great deal with such a sweet action. I prefer it over the Mountie

Jedman
06-01-2021, 07:33 PM
My vote goes for the Marlin 39 A also. I bought my first one new in 1973 or 1974 and have shot the heck out of it and it’s very accurate. Just last month I went to a gun show and found a like new 39 A that just had a great look to it, nice dark wood perfect blue and I bought it just because ?
I have shot most all of the common lever guns in 22 RF and really like the Marlin best. I have a Marlin 57 M in 22 mag and it’s a nice gun but still not the quality of the 39 . Just last fall I could have bought a Marlin 57 in 22 LR and a Ruger 96/22 at a great price but passed. Although the Henry, Browning, and Winchester are nice guns also the 39 A is just the best.

Jedman

koger
06-01-2021, 09:38 PM
The only lever .22 I have, currently is a Marlin 39A. I have had a Erma, Ithaca, Browning, and 2 Winchesters. The browning is my 2nd choice. I had one Winchester, a 9422 and it was a shooter. Traded it for 22-250. Got another 9422 XTR new in the box, was the worst shooting lever rifle I have ever had. It shot every brand of ammo at a different zero, by as much as 4" off, and would not do better than a 2" group sandbagged at 25yds. I called Winchester, they said sounded alright to them. I sold it at a gunshow. Around here you can still buy a slick 39A for $600-700, money well spent in my book.

SoonerEd
06-02-2021, 12:26 AM
My Browning BL-22 is very smooth and is accurate. Shoots 1 - 1 1/2" groups 5 shoots at 100 yards with midgrade ammo like cci green tag.

hondo1892
06-07-2021, 09:32 PM
I have a Marlin 39 Mounty and really like it but I always wanted a Winchester 9422. I think the Winchester is the most handsome of 22 leverguns but they are very pricey and the reason I have never owned one.

lolbell
06-19-2021, 02:24 PM
I have a Marlin 39A, Browning BL22 and a couple of Henrys. The Henrys were the best buy but not the best gun. The Browning is by far the most accurate and dependable of the others. The Marlin and Browning have had hundreds of bricks of WW Wildcats through them. The Marlin has been to the gunsmith twice but the Browning just keeps going and going. I’ve had the BL22 for 50 years. The Marlin was passed down from the FIL it’s about 50 years old between us.

Sam Sackett
07-08-2021, 08:33 PM
Well, I found a nice Marlin 39A Mountie. Picked it up today and didn’t have to pay a premium price. Action is smooth and tight. It has a couple of character marks on the buttstock, but in nice shape for an older gun.
Does anyone know where I can trace the serial number to find year of manufacture..

Happy day!!!!
Sam Sackett

marlin1895
07-09-2021, 03:26 AM
the marlin 39a or mountie is by far the best 22 lever today

pietro
07-09-2021, 10:04 AM
Well, I found a nice Marlin 39A Mountie.
Does anyone know where I can trace the serial number to find year of manufacture..

https://oldguns.net/sn_php/marlinlookup.php

Sam Sackett
07-09-2021, 06:55 PM
Thanks!!! Looks like my new toy was made in 1969.

Sam Sackett

Frank H
07-10-2021, 09:13 AM
I got a Henry h001 and I installed skinner sights to it. My own small game carbine!

Gunleather
08-05-2021, 02:51 AM
Christmas of 1979 I got a Marlin 39-M and my brother got a 39-A. I don’t know how many thousands of rounds they have sent down range. Never had any problems with either one. My brother passed away in 1991 so I now have both in my safe. They will passed down to my kids.

If you can find one you will not regret it.

FergusonTO35
08-10-2021, 09:44 AM
An Italian maker (Chiappa I think?) now has a lever action .22 out. I think it is a takedown like the Marlin, costs a little more than the Henry. Also thought I should add, if you plan to drill and tap for a receiver sight the Henry is a great choice. The part that would be drilled and tapped is not the serialized receiver but an aluminum cover so you could easily and cheaply replace it if you messed up or just wanted to keep an extra on hand. I have a Lyman 66 meant for the Winchester 94 on my Henry H001T and it works great, looks like it was made to be there.

smkummer
08-13-2021, 06:56 PM
Thanks!!! Looks like my new toy was made in 1969.

Sam Sackett
Let us know how it shoots. Also, the Marlin really breaks open nice for some serious cleaning.

Sam Sackett
08-14-2021, 08:00 PM
Life has been in the way so far. I haven’t been able to shoot it. I did take it down and clean / relube the the internals. Love how easy it comes apart! How to take it out for its maiden trip soon. I have several brands in 22 shells, so I’ll try to give it a good workout.

Sam Sackett

5614estell
08-20-2021, 08:51 AM
Another vote for a Marlin 39

jstanfield103
08-21-2021, 07:58 AM
Congratulations on the Marlin 39A. You picked well. Looking forward to what you think of her after your range trip.

r80rt
08-22-2021, 08:30 PM
Ya done good, the 39-A is a superb lever action .22

Cast10
08-23-2021, 09:43 AM
Had my Golden 39A since mid 70’s without near problems.....take down model too! You picked a good one! Long barrel, good sight radius, lots of ammo, dependable, accurate. What’s not to love in a 22 lever?

mvozz
08-25-2021, 10:57 AM
Great thread! I scrimped and saved and bought a 9422 in the late 70s and love it to this day. I read a great article about why Winchester had to quit making them because they were just too expensive to make. Of all of the comments in the article this one makes me grin. "Owing a 9422 for me was like taking the prom queen to prom". Couldn't put it any better than that!!

Markcl
08-25-2021, 06:47 PM
Marlin 39 is a dream gun!