PDA

View Full Version : Shooting one handed and why am I wrong?

Kyle M.
05-27-2021, 01:02 AM
So this goes back to 20 years ago when I started shooting. My first handguns were an H&R 999 and a Ruger single six and I started out shooting them one handed and did just fine. A few years later when I started shooting .380, 9mm and .45acp semi autos I switched to the Weaver stance, but I always shot revolvers even my S&W 629 one handed. In about 2013 I switched to revolvers only for a bit and stayed with the one handed hold, since 2017 I’ve owned quite a few auto pistols and have kept using a one handed hold. I shoot better one handed and I shoot just as well right or left handed.

In the past year or so I’ve asked quite a few people about this. The problem seems to be everyone says I’m wrong, I must be lying, it’s not possible to shoot well one handed. I’ve had everyone from fellow shooters, to people in law enforcement, to shooting instructors tell me this. I’m just plain wrong.

So my question is if I shoot better one handed and I prefer it then how and why am I wrong? some of my pistols like my Sig Sauer P210 which were designed before people shot two handed just feel better in one hand. I go to the range to plink and have fun and I feel that the way I’m most comfortable is the best way. Sure follow up shots may not be as fast but that doesn’t matter for what I’m doing. Also last time I checked bullseye was shot one handed.

Edit: That should be “I” not “I’m” in the thread title but I don’t seem to be able to edit it now that it’s posted.

M-Tecs
05-27-2021, 01:05 AM
If you want an education on single handed shooting attend one of the bigger NRA Bullseye matches.

https://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2020/07/amazing-pistol-accuracy-50-yards-with-45-acp-one-handed/

How accurate can a .45 ACP pistol be, in the hands of an expert marksman? Take a look at that target. This was shot off-hand (no rest) with ONE HAND at FIFTY (50) Yards. That’s TEN shots at 50 yards all inside the 3.36″ 10-Ring with eight shots in the 1.695″ diameter X-Ring.* We bet most folks would have trouble matching that with a scoped rifle shot standing.

NRA Pistol Book (March 2016):
High Master .................................................. ......97.00 and above
Master .................................................. ..................95.00 to 96.99
Expert .................................................. ...................90.00 to 94.99
Sharpshooter .................................................. ........85.00 to 89.99
Marksman .................................................. ...............Below 85.00

These are all one handed so you have a basis to compare. Most people that are serious about it can achieve the Master Class. High Master takes a lot of dedication but if your eyes and build are not ideal High Master is very very tough. I am 6' 4" and most of the best shooters are on the short side. They can hold steadier.

As to right or wrong that needs to be settle on the range, however, if they can't do 10 shot groups at fifty yards on demand I tend not to listen to their opinions much. That being said more handgunners tend to do sustainably better with two hands. Like everything there are advantages and disadvantages to both methods.

For self defense two handed allows for quicker follow up shots but I have seen shooters that a pretty good two handed but are pitiful one handed.

What size groups are you capable of shooting on demand and at what distance?

Driver man
05-27-2021, 01:21 AM
I shoot one handed also. Seems more accurate and a better sight picture single handed.

Kyle M.
05-27-2021, 01:39 AM
Something else I thought of after reading the above two posts. It depends on the gun, some handguns I own and have owned I could shoot amazingly well. Others were plenty accurate in the hands of fellow shooters but I had no luck with them.

Kyle M.
05-27-2021, 01:50 AM
If you want an education on single handed shooting attend one of the bigger NRA Bullseye matches.

https://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2020/07/amazing-pistol-accuracy-50-yards-with-45-acp-one-handed/

How accurate can a .45 ACP pistol be, in the hands of an expert marksman? Take a look at that target. This was shot off-hand (no rest) with ONE HAND at FIFTY (50) Yards. That’s TEN shots at 50 yards all inside the 3.36″ 10-Ring with eight shots in the 1.695″ diameter X-Ring.* We bet most folks would have trouble matching that with a scoped rifle shot standing.

NRA Pistol Book (March 2016):
High Master .................................................. ......97.00 and above
Master .................................................. ..................95.00 to 96.99
Expert .................................................. ...................90.00 to 94.99
Sharpshooter .................................................. ........85.00 to 89.99
Marksman .................................................. ...............Below 85.00

These are all one handed so you have a basis to compare. Most people that are serious about it can achieve the Master Class. High Master takes a lot of dedication but if your eyes and build are not ideal High Master is very very tough. I am 6' 4" and most of the best shooters are on the short side. They can hold steadier.

As to right or wrong that needs to be settle on the range, however, if they can't do 10 shot groups at fifty yards on demand I tend not to listen to their opinions much. That being said more handgunners tend to do sustainably better with two hands. Like everything there are advantages and disadvantages to both methods.

For self defense two handed allows for quicker follow up shots but I have seen shooters that a pretty good two handed but are pitiful one handed.

What size groups are you capable of shooting on demand and at what distance?

Seeing a Bullseye match in person would be something, I’ve always been amazed at the skill of Bullseye shooters. I’m an average shooter and you’re right I couldn’t shoot those groups off hand at 50 yards with a scoped rifle. I often shoot 4” plates at 100 yards with open sighted rifles from the bench, haven’t tried off hand. I’d probably embarrass myself.

The older I get the more I find that I’m more of an acquirer of firearms than I am a shooter, but I won’t own something I can’t shoot. Of course casting and case forming aren’t out of the question, where there’s a will there’s a way.

05-27-2021, 06:31 AM
I think it has to do with grip fit and strong fingers, sight picture, everything becomes correct when I hold my arm out there. I have the same problem. I can hit the steel plate past 100 yards with the cz, just not when I'm using two hands.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

winelover
05-27-2021, 06:37 AM
Shoot which ever way yields the best results for you. Some shooters think I should shoot my double action revolvers in single action mode. If I wanted to do that, I could have saved money have bought all SA revolvers.

Winelover

Sasquatch-1
05-27-2021, 06:47 AM
You can always tell a Bulls Eye shooter at the range, weak hand in pocket handgun in strong hand.

If you shoot better one handed, why do you care what the Nay Sayers think? The idea is to have fun on the range.

05-27-2021, 07:19 AM
I am smiling when I say it's a problem [emoji3]

Cosmic_Charlie
05-27-2021, 07:23 AM
I shot in an informal winter bullseye league a couple years. 50 feet with .22 On a good day I could put 10 in an inch. But there were guys who could put 10 in quarter inch. Not as steady or sharp eyed these days so I make my targets a bit larger.

NSB
05-27-2021, 07:34 AM
Puts a smile on my face reading these responses. I’d like to see the very best bullseye shooters pick up any handgun and start shooting at silhouette targets at 200m and see how well they do. I’ve shot with the best handgun shooters in the world and never saw a single one of them use one hand for anything except bullseye. Never once. Bullseye is a particular sport that requires certain types of shooting at specific ranges and at timed cycles. I personally would challenge anyone to shoot against me at using one hand against my two hands. You simply can’t compare apples to oranges here. I’m not taking anything away from the good bullseye shooters, but it’s a very, very limited discipline.

lotech
05-27-2021, 08:59 AM
About 98% of my handgun shooting for the last twenty years has been Bullseye style. It does takes a lot of discipline and practice, but I really enjoy it over using two hands. However, it's easy to revert back to two-handed shooting with no loss of skill. In fact, many will likely see an improvement in their Weaver stance shooting after becoming at least somewhat proficient with Bullseye. Most of my shooting is at 25 yards. 50 yard Bullseye remains intimidating for me, but I still try it on occasion.

NSB
05-27-2021, 09:14 AM
About 98% of my handgun shooting for the last twenty years has been Bullseye style. It does takes a lot of discipline and practice, but I really enjoy it over using two hands. However, it's easy to revert back to two-handed shooting with no loss of skill. In fact, many will likely see an improvement in their Weaver stance shooting after becoming at least somewhat proficient with Bullseye. Most of my shooting is at 25 yards. 50 yard Bullseye remains intimidating for me, but I still try it on occasion.
The mental discipline developed shooting bullseye carries over to any other form of handgun shooting. I’ve seen those who started out with “spray and pray” never develop accurate shooting skills. Bullseye is a great foundation to build upon.

memtb
05-27-2021, 09:21 AM
Your certainly not wrong.....just a bit different than the majority of shooters.

I can’t shoot as well “single-handed”.....consequently I shoot with two. With the handgun that I’m presently attempting to become very proficient with.....I’m not “man enough” to use a “single-hand” hold with a 75 ounce + handgun! Heck.....it’s a handful, pun intended, using two hands! :lol: memtb

GhostHawk
05-27-2021, 09:35 AM
I was at the local range with a neighbor, Army vet, Ranger, 3 tours in the sandbox. He was playing with my H&R 732 in .32sw long.

Target looked like a shotgun pattern.

I stepped in, loaded it, took a one handed dueling stance. Fired 6 shots in about 8 seconds at 20 feet.
All 6 within an inch. 2 perfect triangles one base up on top, base down on bottom, tops intermingled.

I pulled the target back and my buddy's mouth dropped, his eyes got VERY big. He started drooling.

" But, but, but, h h how'd you do that?"

I set the gun down, stepped back. Tossed over my shoulder as I walked away. "I used the Force".

One handed works sometimes. Especially with revolvers. The point is if it is stupid but it works it isn't stupid is it? Or Wrong.

Der Gebirgsjager
05-27-2021, 10:12 AM
Previous posters have pretty much covered the subject, but I'll add my voice to those who say "You are not wrong!"

I frequently shoot pistols one handed. Further, in any practice session I'm sure to shoot some one handed with either hand.

The handgun was not invented to be a two handed firearm, that technique came along later. For most of it's existence the handgun has been fired with one hand.

Firing one handed from a draw is faster, as is point shooting.

Do what works best for you.

DG

reddog81
05-27-2021, 10:31 AM
It takes a lot of practice to shoot well. If you've practiced shooting one handed for years and have not shot 2 handed much, then it's not too big of a surprise that you shoot better one handed than 2 handed.

TCFAN
05-27-2021, 10:32 AM
I like to shoot pistols one handed also.After all they are called HANDgun not HANDSgun.

Minerat
05-27-2021, 10:42 AM
I fixed your title.

If you like shooting one handed and do well why worry about it. I shoot for fun and shoot my revolvers that way too.

dverna
05-27-2021, 10:46 AM
If using one hand as more accurate, there would not be a rule in Bullseye that you must shoot one handed. For the vast majority of shooters, they will be more accurate using two hands.

I started pistol shooting in Bullseye. It forces you to learn trigger control and sight picture. It also makes you a better off hand rifle shooter. But I still shoot better groups two handed.

Some of the stuff posted here is BS. 10 shots into a 1/4" at 50 ft...yea sure....Might happen once by luck but no one is that good...NO ONE...and few people have guns/ammo capable of that. My point is keyboard warriors are what they are....mostly BS'ers.

It costs nothing to go to a registered shoot and see talented people perform. Great learning experience. Better yet, join a league and so some informal competition. Also, look at the scores posted at registered shoots. It sets a better benchmark of performance to strive for than what gets posted on forums.

As to the OP, if you shoot better one handed, you are likely doing something wrong with your two handed set up. But do what works for you!!!

contender1
05-27-2021, 10:57 AM
Well, I'm a firearm instructor, and up front, I'll say that if YOU are happy with what you shoot & how,, FINE!!!!!

But let's look at things from a few different points.
As noted,,, Bullseye shooters are shooting a specific discipline at specific distances, a specific way. And as noted above, look at the steel silhouette shooters. A totally different discipline with different ways.

Those are (2) excellent examples of ways to look at things.

But as an instructor, I break down ACCURATE shooting as follows.
The human body is the base platform. When standing we only have our feet touching a solid surface. If we sit, or kneel, we increase body contact with a solid surface. We stabilize the platform. Go prone & we stabilize the platform even more.
Next, the firearm.
One hand is the least contact with the body, while 2 hands have more contact. If shooting a rifle or shotgun, we also have the shoulder, & maybe a sling to add stability to the platform.

The steadier the platform along with the maximum contact available allows for better accuracy. It's noticed more at longer distances. When distance increases, and the targets get smaller, and accuracy is the desire, so you need the maximize the ability to be stable.

I taught a class this past weekend.
I always start new shooters at close distances & larger targets. Well, due to one student asking a question, I demonstrated a few different methods & added distance & smaller targets. They were quite impressed. And yes, one method I demonstrated was the 'Hollywood hip shooting" done by TV actors. I used a SA handgun, one handed, in .44 mag. But once I demonstrated all that,,, I also showed them what happens when you add distance. I used a one handed hold at 100 yds, & missed 3 times. I then switched to a 2 handed hold, at 100 yds, and hit all 3. I was shooting 8" diameter steel plates.

So, are you wrong?
NO.
Can it be better?
YES.

I like to call it all; "The variables!"

MT Gianni
05-27-2021, 11:07 AM
I think we all should practice defensive pistol with a single hand hold, both strong and weak hand. For targets I use two as it works for me.

MrWolf
05-27-2021, 12:57 PM
Please take this the right way but if you are happy and comfortable with how you shoot, why do you care what anyone else thinks? I couldn't care less except for a very few people what they think.

lotech
05-27-2021, 01:04 PM
Please take this the right way but if you are happy and comfortable with how you shoot, why do you care what anyone else thinks? I couldn't care less except for a very few people what they think.

It's not that anyone really "cares" what others think, it's different perspectives on the same or a similar topic that others may find interesting.

Lloyd Smale
05-27-2021, 02:13 PM
I have shot hundreds of thousands of handgun rounds. Shot ppc and bullseye leagues. Like was said bullseye shooter dont shoot one hand because the want to they do it because its the rule. IF it was more accurate id think the military would still be teaching it. I can shoot fairly well one handed IF i have a 2lb crisp trigger. But if not your about always going to shoot better with two hands if you shoot 2 handed properly. I still do practice shooting one handed and one handed weak side just in case an arm gets injured. But its like comparing a bipod to a monopod two are always more steady. If not your doing something wrong. That said its your gun shoot it the way you want. I know some who could probably outshoot me one handed.

Kyle M.
05-27-2021, 02:42 PM
Thanks for all the replies. It's not so much I care what the people telling me I'm wrong are saying as it is irritating to be told that something that works and isn't having a negative effect on anything is wrong. But I'm going to go with it's what works for me and keep shooting one handed. Now there are a few handguns I own and have owned that are heavy enough like the Desert Eagle or have a grip where a two handed hold work for me. But for most pistols I just do better one handed. For those who say there's something wrong with my two handed stance, grip, etc if I shoot better one handed I'm not buying it. I see absolutely no written in stone reason that two hands is automatically steadier than one. Suppose my left hand which is my strong hand is perfectly steady, but my right and weak hand is a bit shaky. To me using that right hand as a support hand is going to throw my two handed shooting off, but I don't think that's the issue as I shoot just as well with my strong or weak hand one handed. I've never tried weak handed with a two hand hold.

I also don't think anyone in this thread is B.S.'ing me with how well they shoot I didn't see any outlandish accuracy claims myself. I've seen plenty of 1911's in a Ransom rest shoot sub 2" 25 yard groups, I've also seen and read about Sig P210's shooting 1" 50 yard groups, there's a video of a P210 on YouTube by Ransom and they got some sub 2" 50 yard groups with off the shelf ammo. I've always read that a pistol/revolver that shoots 2.5" or less at 25 yards is giving match grade accuracy, then again today when people think a cheap hunting rifle should shoot 1/4 MOA I guess nothing is good enough. I imagine even the cheapest pocket pistol groups better than the average shooter can shoot.

jimb16
05-27-2021, 03:04 PM
I find that I'm more accurate shooting single hand. I shot a 99 3x the other day with the contender pistol in .45 colt. Not bad for a 72 year old dude. I figure that If I can shoot that well with a single shot, I don't have to worry unless I have more than one opponent....*LOL*

Earlwb
05-27-2021, 10:33 PM
One handed is not a problem. if you shoot well like that go for it. When you look at the past everyone was shooting one handed. The old SAA revolvers and others were designed for one handed shooting too. The US military used to teach one handed shooting for ages. At least up until they started to switch over to the 9mm rounds. Heck they still do one handed shooting in the Olympics with pistols like the ISSF 50 meter pistols. They still do so in the Worlds contests even though it was dropped from the Olympics recently. If it was a bad way to shoot, they would have quit doing it years ago.

NSB
05-28-2021, 12:43 AM
When it’s all said and done, if the object is to hit the target with a greater degree of precision, shooting two hands will always do better than one. If you disagree, go to a shoot where everyone is shooting two handed and compete one handed. You’ll never win.

Kyle M.
05-28-2021, 01:23 AM
When it’s all said and done, if the object is to hit the target with a greater degree of precision, shooting two hands will always do better than one. If you disagree, go to a shoot where everyone is shooting two handed and compete one handed. You’ll never win.

That may be true but I'd say that's based more on two hands being more controllable for quick follow up shots. If it was slow fire surely there's someone out there that could win shooting one handed. I'm nearly perfectly steady with one hand and feel the same when using a two hand hold, but I simply do not shoot as tight of groups shooting with a two hand hold. I'm not sure why some people find it so hard to believe that there are people who shoot better one handed.

M-Tecs
05-28-2021, 01:40 AM
That may be true but I'd say that's based more on two hands being more controllable for quick follow up shots. If it was slow fire surely there's someone out there that could win shooting one handed. I'm nearly perfectly steady with one hand and feel the same when using a two hand hold, but I simply do not shoot as tight of groups shooting with a two hand hold. I'm not sure why some people find it so hard to believe that there are people who shoot better one handed.

A 72 year old buddy of mine just shot a 10X clean at 50 yards with his 1911 at a Bullseye league. In his 30 years of shooting bullseye he has has shot many clean scores but never a 10X. He is a High Master. At my best I was a low end Master. Most consider me well above average handgun shooter. Personally I do shoot better with both hands but I have a couple of HM buddies that I can't come close to out shooting even with both hands.

Kyle M.
05-28-2021, 01:55 AM
A 72 year old buddy of mine just shot a 10X clean at 50 yards with his 1911 at a Bullseye league. In his 30 years of shooting bullseye he has has shot many clean scores but never a 10X. He is a High Master. At my best I was a low end Master. Most consider me well above average handgun shooter. Personally I do shoot better with both hands but I have a couple of HM buddies that I can't come close to out shooting even with both hands.

That's kind of what I'm trying to say. Those who shoot Bullseye shoot better one handed than most shooters including myself will ever achieve two handed. But I'm happy with the skill level I shoot at, and practice only makes you better. The whole point of this thread was so I could reassure myself that I wasn't doing something fundamentally wrong by continuing to shoot the way that works for me. I guess it wouldn't have really mattered if I was wrong considering it works for me. But I somehow feel better about it now. There are some replies here that definitely strengthen my confidence in what I'm doing. There are always going to be the naysayers who don't possibly think I could be holding tighter groups one handed than two and if I do it must be my technique. But I say technique be danged if after 20 years of shooting my two handed ability isn't improving but my one handed is I may as well shoot one handed.

Lloyd Smale
05-28-2021, 05:20 AM
i think it was during the viet nam war that two handed shooting took favor in the military. I know in the early 70s i went through boot and then trained with the navy and marines and they all taught 2 handed handgun shooting. Keep in mind that before that handguns were considered up close and personal weapons. It was before people hunted with them or even dreamed of hitting something at a 100 yards with on. They were for up close and personal. The perception of a handgun that was instilled in us in quick draw cowboy movies. I guess it can be justfied like this. if you had to hold a 2 lb weight out in front of you for 3 minutes would you rather hold up that weight with one hand or two. What if find is at least for me when i shoot a da revolver one handed ive got a tendency to shoot to the right because it takes ALOT of consentration to keep from torqueing the gun to the right when i pull the trigger. Id think under the stress of combat that would be amplified. Shooting bullseye or target shooting when you are not under pressure and can concentrate on not doing it is one thing but try to shoot 3 shots fast with a long fairly heavy trigger pull and most will pull to the right. We had a charging bear target at one of the linebaugh seminars that would come at you and you had to draw and shoot as fast as you could and most who shot one handed put there shots in the dirt low and to the right with DA guns and these were some of the best handgun shooters ive ever met. Conclusion we came to is the guy who shot a single action two handed did better every time then the one hand shooter and especially the one handed DA shooters under stress. We also did some LONG range shooting out to 800 yards and doing that one handed usually had bullet in the next county.
One handed is not a problem. if you shoot well like that go for it. When you look at the past everyone was shooting one handed. The old SAA revolvers and others were designed for one handed shooting too. The US military used to teach one handed shooting for ages. At least up until they started to switch over to the 9mm rounds. Heck they still do one handed shooting in the Olympics with pistols like the ISSF 50 meter pistols. They still do so in the Worlds contests even though it was dropped from the Olympics recently. If it was a bad way to shoot, they would have quit doing it years ago.

military taught two handed shooting way before they started using 9mms. When i went though even coast guard boot in 74 they taught two handed shooting and so did the training courses i too with the Navy marines and army.

Sasquatch-1
05-28-2021, 07:23 AM
The range I belong to has a dedicated steel plate range for hand guns. All users of the range must qualify. The qualification is 9 out of 10 shots on a 6" paper plate at 15 yards.

Now with that said, we have about a 20% success rate for qualifications. That is with one or two hands any sighting system and with any handgun up to 45 colt/44 mag. (No super magnums aloud.)

The big problem today is that most shooters, for their first handgun, run out and buy a wonder nine and believe in the spray and pray method. And most conceal carry courses only require you to shoot from 7 yards and from what I have observed at the range, that is as far as any of them ever practice at.

Here again if you are comfortable one handed, shoot one handed. If you need two hands shoot, two handed. If you need to shoot from a bench with a support of some kind to have fun, do so.

NSB
05-28-2021, 09:08 AM

Because I shot competition all my life. I’ve competed in major shoots all over the country. I have shot with literally the best precision hand gunners in world. You’re measuring success to your own standards, and if that makes you happy that’s all OK. However, if you think you’re good, go and compete at some bigger shoots (probably something in your area somewhere) and get that rude awakening. I’ve seen people show up, pay their entry fees, and walk away with their butt in their hands wondering “how can this be”?. You’re simply naive about how good people can shoot handguns for precision, at distance, and none of them win shooting one handed. It’s just reality.
Kyle M. : Going back and re-reading your comments I might be persuaded to change my thoughts on what you’re saying. It’s possible that YOU shoot better one handed than you do two handed. That’s believable, but if it’s true (in your case I’ll say it’s true), I will add that with some training you’d shoot better with two hands is taught to do so. On your own it’s just not happening. In the big picture, the top shooters use two hands for a reason.....it’s better if practiced and with training.

44MAG#1
05-28-2021, 10:00 AM
Everyone shoot anyway you want to as long as it is SAFE. It doesn't matter if you hold it with your feet and pull, press, squeeze, snatch or grab the trigger with your pinky finger.
Goodness, it doesn't matter as long as the individual is safe and is satisfied with their shooting.

yeahbub
05-28-2021, 01:01 PM
Well, the way I look at it is, if I'm in a grocery match or something and you're shooting with one hand better than than I am, then yeah, you're doing it wrong. Ahem. . . .

Full speed ahead with what works best for you.

Kyle M.
05-28-2021, 01:23 PM
Because I shot competition all my life. I’ve competed in major shoots all over the country. I have shot with literally the best precision hand gunners in world. You’re measuring success to your own standards, and if that makes you happy that’s all OK. However, if you think you’re good, go and compete at some bigger shoots (probably something in your area somewhere) and get that rude awakening. I’ve seen people show up, pay their entry fees, and walk away with their butt in their hands wondering “how can this be”?. You’re simply naive about how good people can shoot handguns for precision, at distance, and none of them win shooting one handed. It’s just reality.
Kyle M. : Going back and re-reading your comments I might be persuaded to change my thoughts on what you’re saying. It’s possible that YOU shoot better one handed than you do two handed. That’s believable, but if it’s true (in your case I’ll say it’s true), I will add that with some training you’d shoot better with two hands is taught to do so. On your own it’s just not happening. In the big picture, the top shooters use two hands for a reason.....it’s better if practiced and with training.

Yes I'm saying I shoot better one handed than I shoot two handed. Not that I shoot better one handed than others can shoot two handed. But at the same time most of my friends who shoot and most of the guys I run into at the range cannot hit a 6" plate at 15 yards with a handgun. That's why I said at some point that I shoot better one handed than most of the people I've met shoot two handed. I have no illusions to being any kind of "marksman" at least not with a handgun. I don't know how they can't hit that plate, but the fact that none of them shoot often probably has something to do with it.

M-Tecs
05-28-2021, 06:08 PM
One of the most brutal lessons that I learned in NRA Highpower Match and Service Rifle/NRA Bullseye/registered trap competition was my eyes weren't good enough and I was about 6" to 8" too tall to be THE national champion.

Even when I finished first at the State or Reginal levels I was not the best nor would I ever be the best in the nation or the world. In the end it didn't matter because I got out of competition what I wanted. That was to be the best I could be.

To the OP if your goal is to be the best you can be one handed that's your goal and no one else's. There is no right or wrong in that. If you were trying to convince others one handed is normally superior compared to two hand (for most shooters) that would be open to lots of discussion and disagreement. Since you are not doing that I truly don't understand how tight some of the folks get their undies over YOU and ONLY YOU shooting one handed.

Personally I don't like shooting one handed that much. That doesn't mean that the years of Bullseye didn't teach me some about shooting one handed. When I am at the range and the blasters a going crazy at 15' & 21' spraying the target I truly enjoy shooting one hand at 25 or 50 yards. Some never notice but I do get some fun and interesting reactions when they see my target verse theirs.

The only time it MAY make a meaningful difference is in self defense handgun usage since two handed normally allows for quicker follow-up shots (unless you have a medical issue).

gwpercle
05-28-2021, 07:05 PM
No wrong ... you shoot the way you want to shoot !
Tell all them inter web experts and shooting range know-it-alls to kiss your shiney behiney ...
Do It Your Way .
I'm gonna tell you here and now ... I shoot a lot of revolvers ... one handed and ...yes the biggest Sin of all ... I cock the hammer back and shoot single action ....
I don't feel handicapped one bit by it ... Wyatt Earp , James B. Hickcock , John Henry (Doc) Holliday and Bat Masterson ...all did quite well shooting their way !
Gary

05-28-2021, 09:59 PM
When it’s all said and done, if the object is to hit the target with a greater degree of precision, shooting two hands will always do better than one. If you disagree, go to a shoot where everyone is shooting two handed and compete one handed. You’ll never win. I would love to try.
If I stand loosely and push the gun outstretched, the sight picture is 3-4 inches below point of impact at 60-110 yards. I was banging the 12 inch steel plate over and over, if I was more skilled it would sound of a snare drum. I need a bigger place to go shoot.

megasupermagnum
05-29-2021, 02:18 AM
The key element everyone is missing, is time. Given unlimited time, a person could shoot just as well with the gun upside down. I'm not joking about that, I'm fairly sure Jerry Miculek shot a balloon at 200 yards with a snub nose revolver upside down, pull the trigger with his pinky.

Yes, I can, and often shoot really well one handed, using my knee as a rest. With a backrest, I still prefer Elmer Keith's two hands in the knees shooting position, but that takes a little more set up to be comfortable.

Anyway, if you were asked to hit a 12" gong at 100 yards with a handgun against a similar skilled person, whoever gets more hits in 10 seconds wins. You shoot one handed, and they shoot two. You loose. It's just the way it is. Two hands is a more stable platform, and it allows you to handle recoil faster. You can hedge your bets. You could shoot a 22LR pistol, and have them shoot a 44 magnum revolver, and you very well could win then. Or you could put in way more time practicing, and simply blow them away in skill.

I think one handed shooting has value, both in the field, but mainly in self defense. As a standard practice though, no, I think you are handicapping yourself by doing so, with the sole exception of a game like Bullseye.

Lloyd Smale
05-29-2021, 04:28 AM
The range I belong to has a dedicated steel plate range for hand guns. All users of the range must qualify. The qualification is 9 out of 10 shots on a 6" paper plate at 15 yards.

Now with that said, we have about a 20% success rate for qualifications. That is with one or two hands any sighting system and with any handgun up to 45 colt/44 mag. (No super magnums aloud.)

The big problem today is that most shooters, for their first handgun, run out and buy a wonder nine and believe in the spray and pray method. And most conceal carry courses only require you to shoot from 7 yards and from what I have observed at the range, that is as far as any of them ever practice at.

Here again if you are comfortable one handed, shoot one handed. If you need two hands shoot, two handed. If you need to shoot from a bench with a support of some kind to have fun, do so.

The local sherrifs dept shoots at my private range. For a couple years the town police did too. I was there one day when the city police were qualifying. There was 7 of them there and 2 shot qualifying scores. Some were couldnt hit the full sized man silhouette target consistantly at 15 yards and im talking not hitting it anywhere. They chief was furious. He was a good shot himself and i think he was more mad because i was witnessing it. Then the capper was one young guy who really made him look bad. they were suppose to bring there back up gun too to qualify and this idiot didnt bring his. THe cheif asked him why and he said because it kicked to much and hurt him to shoot it. The cheif about was jumping up and down and sent that kind running home for his gun. Told him if he wasnt back in an hour with it to find another job. That isnt rare today with police. Even the sheriffs dept that im friends with most only can afford ammo to qualify with once a year. There budget has been cut to the bone. Ive been bringing them 9mm and 40 ammo for about 5 years to practice with. But the Sherriff is a bit stricter. You dont qualify you get layed off till you do. I get one of then about once a week coming over to get some ammo to practice with. Had to tell the sheriff last month that i couldnt do that anymore because of primer and powder shortages. I told him id give him 500 rounds of 9mm and that would have to do for 6 months. One guy hit on the real answer here. Yup theres probably some that shoot better one handed then two. But how do they stack up in a ppc match or a bullseye match. Who are they comparing themselves to? A seasoned shooter or one of those cops that couldnt hit the target. Like i said i know guys that shoot one handed well but i dont know a single one that if they had to place a shot at 50 yards on something that NEEDED to be hit well wouldnt take a good steady 2 handed hold. I dont know a single man that actually practices 2 handed that shoots better one handed.

Sasquatch-1
05-29-2021, 07:19 AM
The local sherrifs dept shoots at my private range. For a couple years the town police did too. I was there one day when the city police were qualifying. There was 7 of them there and 2 shot qualifying scores. Some were couldnt hit the full sized man silhouette target consistantly at 15 yards and im talking not hitting it anywhere.

Unfortunate but true. I was with the D. C., Police for 25 years. We would typically qualify 20 to 30 people in a relay. Almost every relay would have 1 or 2 who could not qualify. I will say they were able to put rounds on target. but then again our qualifying ranges were 5 feet to 15 yards. 5 feet from the hip in panic mood and 15 yards was from a barricade support position. We had to shoot both strong and weak hand supported and unsupported.

If the public truly knew how many police officer were incompetent shots, they would really be worried. Just for the record, on a 300 point score, I generally shot a 300 with between 10 and 20 X.

05-29-2021, 08:50 AM
The key element everyone is missing, is time. Given unlimited time, a person could shoot just as well with the gun upside down. I'm not joking about that, I'm fairly sure Jerry Miculek shot a balloon at 200 yards with a snub nose revolver upside down, pull the trigger with his pinky.

Yes, I can, and often shoot really well one handed, using my knee as a rest. With a backrest, I still prefer Elmer Keith's two hands in the knees shooting position, but that takes a little more set up to be comfortable.

Anyway, if you were asked to hit a 12" gong at 100 yards with a handgun against a similar skilled person, whoever gets more hits in 10 seconds wins. You shoot one handed, and they shoot two. You loose. It's just the way it is. Two hands is a more stable platform, and it allows you to handle recoil faster. You can hedge your bets. You could shoot a 22LR pistol, and have them shoot a 44 magnum revolver, and you very well could win then. Or you could put in way more time practicing, and simply blow them away in skill.

I think one handed shooting has value, both in the field, but mainly in self defense. As a standard practice though, no, I think you are handicapping yourself by doing so, with the sole exception of a game like Bullseye.It boils down to how hard you want something. I enjoy shooting handguns so I practice shooting handguns. And the truth- if it's life or death I'm holding the gun with both hands making as much contact between hands and grips as possible to control recoil and shoot faster and stay on target.

That being said I shoot smaller groups at the range shooting one handed.

44MAG#1
05-29-2021, 09:07 AM
Do any of the ones that have posted on this thread really care what others think about the way you hold your firearm as long as it is safe?
Really now, come on.

MostlyLeverGuns
05-29-2021, 09:59 AM
It is nice to believe that in an emergency you will square up to your target, get a firm two-hand grip and a good sight picture. Maybe the ability to hit something without a perfect stance should be part of your shooting equation. Hard to do on a range, but shooting left-handed, across the body to right or left, all those other possibilities are part of shooting IN AN EMERGENCY or life-threatening situation. I find rolling one of these plastic target balls across the range, point-shooting, handgun high, low, in-between with either hand; 10,15,25,35 yards; challenging and educational. A two-hand sighted stance at 7 yards is only challenging when against a clock or to train neophytes. Have you ever fired with both guns in both hands, single-actions are really entertaining with each hand holding a gun, I shoot for fun, but fun stuff can really work for self-defense or hunting. Not handgun, but how fast can you knock a row of tin cans off a log at 25-50 yards with your hunting rifle?

Tatume
05-29-2021, 10:43 AM
Unfortunate but true. ... If the public truly knew how many police officers were incompetent shots, they would really be worried.

I was the range officer at our club when a squad of Virginia Marine Police came for qualification. The range is in the middle of a suburban housing development (naturally, they built up around the range and then tried (unsuccessfully) to close the range). They were shooting M14 rifles in semi-auto mode at 25 yards and couldn't hit the target, let alone score any points. After a couple of hours the training officer came to me and said "We're going to shoot full-auto now." I replied "No, you are not."

Ever since then I've wondered when the VMP would have cause to fire M14 rifles in full-auto mode while operating boats among the civilian public? I wouldn't want to be in the vicinity.

JoeJames
05-29-2021, 11:17 AM
Shoot which ever way yields the best results for you. Some shooters think I should shoot my double action revolvers in single action mode. If I wanted to do that, I could have saved money have bought all SA revolvers.

WineloverAgreed. To each his own. Not long after I got my Ruger BH in 44 Special, I sold my S&W 629. Never shot the 629 double action, and almost never shot 44 Magnum in it; so why keep it?

Bigslug
05-29-2021, 12:42 PM
I'm pretty sensitive to this issue, as I get to train officers in their basic techniques - including using a hand-held flashlight either because their weapon-mounted light has failed to work, or they simply don't have one. This often causes their normal two-handed shooting technique to suffer, with the accuracy suffering accordingly.

I pretty much philosophize it like this:

For most of its history, it has been a "HAND (singular) gun", not a "HANDS (plural) gun". It's only in the last 30-50 years that we've really been playing around with 2-handed Weaver and isosceles stances, that, IF WE DO THEM RIGHT, will add stability to our hold. It's that "doing them right" that is often the real challenge.

Right-handed shooters tend to beat up the left side of their targets, because the elbow, wrist, and trigger finger of the right hand are all designed to bend inward to the left. Additionally, you have more meat of your right hand on the right side of the gun, and only thumb and fingertips on the left.

My operational mode of instruction is based on the fact that many folk's 2-handed technique is a crutch for a crappy 1-handed technique - or maybe even a creator of one. We fix it like this:

1. Lock out the elbow and wrist.
2. Press inward with the thumb.
3. Place the trigger finger in such a way that you're pulling straight to the rear, not pressing or curling to the left.
4. Just as a note, you're probably shooting with the right foot forward when you do this.

Once you figure that out and are making good hits 1-handed, NONE OF THAT ARM POSITIONING CHANGES! The only thing that does change is the left foot comes forward and the left hand joins the party. The only purpose of the left hand serves now is to position itself as a barrier against failure of something in the basic 1-handed grip that causes the rounds to go left. . .which, since we've practiced fixing those problems should now be MUCH less of an issue.

The practical side of all this is that, even though we'd PREFER to shoot 2-handed, the support hand might be busy with other things like opening doors, operating a radio, supporting us in a weird position, blocking a blow, dealing with an injury, etc..., so we'd DAMN WELL BETTER LEARN to run the pistol effectively with just one of our mitts on it.

Kyle M.
05-29-2021, 11:41 PM
One of the most brutal lessons that I learned in NRA Highpower Match and Service Rifle/NRA Bullseye/registered trap competition was my eyes weren't good enough and I was about 6" to 8" too tall to be THE national champion.

Even when I finished first at the State or Reginal levels I was not the best nor would I ever be the best in the nation or the world. In the end it didn't matter because I got out of competition what I wanted. That was to be the best I could be.

To the OP if your goal is to be the best you can be one handed that's your goal and no one else's. There is no right or wrong in that. If you were trying to convince others one handed is normally superior compared to two hand (for most shooters) that would be open to lots of discussion and disagreement. Since you are not doing that I truly don't understand how tight some of the folks get their undies over YOU and ONLY YOU shooting one handed.

Personally I don't like shooting one handed that much. That doesn't mean that the years of Bullseye didn't teach me some about shooting one handed. When I am at the range and the blasters a going crazy at 15' & 21' spraying the target I truly enjoy shooting one hand at 25 or 50 yards. Some never notice but I do get some fun and interesting reactions when they see my target verse theirs.

The only time it MAY make a meaningful difference is in self defense handgun usage since two handed normally allows for quicker follow-up shots (unless you have a medical issue).

No wrong ... you shoot the way you want to shoot !
Tell all them inter web experts and shooting range know-it-alls to kiss your shiney behiney ...
Do It Your Way .
I'm gonna tell you here and now ... I shoot a lot of revolvers ... one handed and ...yes the biggest Sin of all ... I cock the hammer back and shoot single action ....
I don't feel handicapped one bit by it ... Wyatt Earp , James B. Hickcock , John Henry (Doc) Holliday and Bat Masterson ...all did quite well shooting their way !
Gary

I have to say these are two of the best responses I've gotten. I can shoot a DA revolver ok, but I do way better when I shoot them single action. I don't shoot most single actions well and I haven't quite figured out why, may be the small grip. It's kind of unfortunate as I really enjoy SAA's and the .45 Colt cartridge. I do however have a Remington conversion that I can shoot very well.

Kyle M.
05-29-2021, 11:43 PM

I think one handed shooting has value, both in the field, but mainly in self defense. As a standard practice though, no, I think you are handicapping yourself by doing so, with the sole exception of a game like Bullseye.

Yeah I'm handicapping myself by doing what I enjoy and do best, I'm highly skeptical of that. I'm not running combat drills here or taking defensive handgun courses. Nor am I saying shooting two handed is wrong, I'm saying it doesn't work for me. I'm plinking at 7-20 yards at various targets from a 1" bullseye's to gallon jugs of water. But all my life I've had people trying to convince me I'm wrong, and I'm now more strongly convinced than ever that I am not the one that's wrong.

megasupermagnum
05-30-2021, 12:13 AM
Yeah I'm handicapping myself by doing what I enjoy and do best, I'm highly skeptical of that. I'm not running combat drills here or taking defensive handgun courses. Nor am I saying shooting two handed is wrong, I'm saying it doesn't work for me. I'm plinking at 7-20 yards at various targets from a 1" bullseye's to gallon jugs of water. But all my life I've had people trying to convince me I'm wrong, and I'm now more strongly convinced than ever that I am not the one that's wrong.

If you aren't competing, and not training to protect your life, why do you care? You have nothing on the line, and nothing to loose.

44MAG#1
05-30-2021, 12:20 AM
I am going to ask this question again. WHY does anyone CARE what others think about how they hold their gun as long as they are SAFE?

megasupermagnum
05-30-2021, 12:23 AM
I am going to ask this question again. WHY does anyone CARE what others think about how they hold their gun as long as they are SAFE?

Seems pretty obvious if you've read any of the thread.

Kyle M.
05-30-2021, 12:31 AM

Because some people can't help but tell other people they are wrong, even if it's over something that's a matter of opinion.

Lloyd Smale
05-30-2021, 04:55 AM
Unfortunate but true. I was with the D. C., Police for 25 years. We would typically qualify 20 to 30 people in a relay. Almost every relay would have 1 or 2 who could not qualify. I will say they were able to put rounds on target. but then again our qualifying ranges were 5 feet to 15 yards. 5 feet from the hip in panic mood and 15 yards was from a barricade support position. We had to shoot both strong and weak hand supported and unsupported.

If the public truly knew how many police officer were incompetent shots, they would really be worried. Just for the record, on a 300 point score, I generally shot a 300 with between 10 and 20 X.

i still remember my late brother in law that died of a stroke. He got hired about around 28 at a near by town as a police officer. They issued him a 19 smith. He called me and asked me to go shooting with him because he had to qualify and needed help. Someone on the force reloaded and gave him a whole coffee can of 357s. I laughed my but off. He was a good sized man and surely not a wimp. Matter of fact was a bad ass. Hed shoot and his face would scrunch up and hed shove that gun forward and down like it was going to kill him when he shot. Half the can and he hit the target one time. Before the day was up i had him shooting good enough to qualify (barely) I had to load his gun and leave two cyl empty to show him how badly he flinched. But he did get over it. Never was much of a shot. Ended up transfering to the sherrifs dept in the next county and even made sergeant. But im here to tell you i sure wouldnt want him and a handgun to be protecting my family. they would be in as much danger as the bad guy. I chuckle especially at the state police. they think there little bit of training in the accademy makes them mat dillion. We had a few show up at ppc shoots when i did it. THeyd come in all cocky and most would disappear after the first round they shot. We had a thing where low score man for the day had to wear a dress over his pants for the barbeque after the match. We had one state tropper that wore it about 80 percent of the time. He knew he was a poor shot and came to learn and did end up in the end not wearing the skirt but most of them ran i fear of shooting low score. I think in our entire league that was shot in 5 different towns i can remember two cops that shot decent. By decent im talking in the 270 out of 300 range. NONE that ever won a match or even shot expert class.

44MAG#1
05-30-2021, 06:29 AM
Because some people can't help but tell other people they are wrong, even if it's over something that's a matter of opinion.

That is true. But, you strike me as who would not care what others think and one who isn't going to change so that is why I asked the question.

Megasuper I did read the thread and that is why I asked the question. Why would anyone care how someone holds their handgun as long as it is safe? There are many that can't hit that bulls bottom shooting one handed or two handed. Not everyone practices their shooting like they are going into a firefight evertime they go to the range. I've shot both ways and like both. I shoot two handed 90 percent of the time but am sure not going to tell any onehander that they are wrong. Especially a Master or High Master Bullseye shooter.

05-30-2021, 08:23 AM
I don't always hold my gun sideways when I shoot,
but when I do I still hit my target. [emoji41]

44MAG#1
05-30-2021, 08:38 AM
I don't always hold my gun sideways when I shoot,
but when I do I still hit my target. [emoji41]

Sideways would be called extreme cant syndrome, ECS.
My former shooting buddy held his Bullseye guns slightly canted. His scores in NRA Bullseye matches would have put him in High Master but at the time he stopped competing Master was as high as one could go so he stayed humble and claimed Master Class. I sure never told him he was wrong since he could outshoot me and he taught me even though I don't cant my gun. He was the best shot I actually knew with any handgun regardless the recoil level, even with some of my Brute recoil handguns on which he used two hands.
His one hand hold cant was just fine.

megasupermagnum
05-30-2021, 12:22 PM
To answer your question; this is a thread on a forum, where questions, ideas, and opinions are shared. Kyle started a thread asking why he was wrong. Many tried to answer the question.

I don't care how anyone safely shoots. I do care enough to try and help to the best of my ability when questions are asked.

44MAG#1
05-30-2021, 02:21 PM
To answer your question; this is a thread on a forum, where questions, ideas, and opinions are shared. Kyle started a thread asking why he was wrong. Many tried to answer the question.

I don't care how anyone safely shoots. I do care enough to try and help to the best of my ability when questions are asked.

It became evident to me early on that he presented it as a question but one that he really didn't want an answer to.
Could I have been wrong?

rhetorical question

When you ask a RHETORICAL OUESTION, you don't really expect an answer. Imagine your brother is blasting his music and you ask, "Could you play that music any louder?" You don't really expect him to answer — you just want him to turn it down.

When something is rhetorical that means it is made for style or effect, likewise a rhetorical question is a question that is asked for mere effect, rather than a question that needs to be answered. Questions like “Who knew?” or “Who's better than me?” are often rhetorical.

Another term we need to keep in tune with is: CONFIRMATION BIAS. Our tendency to cherry-pick information that confirms our existing beliefs or ideas. Confirmation bias explains why two people with opposing views on a topic can see the same evidence and come away feeling validated by it. This cognitive bias is most pronounced in the case of ingrained, ideological, or emotionally charged views.

Failing to interpret information in an unbiased way can lead to serious misjudgments. By understanding this, we can learn to identify it in ourselves and others. We can be cautious of data that seems to immediately support our views.

gordie
05-30-2021, 03:03 PM
tell it to Col. Rex Applegate...

Krag 1901
05-30-2021, 03:24 PM
Heck OP, shoot any way you like and are best at.

44MAG#1
05-30-2021, 03:53 PM
tell it to Col. Rex Applegate...

It would be hard to tell a dead man something. One then could tell it to Bill Blankenship or Herschel Anderson or Bonnie Harmon.
What do I know? I know the answer to that, not much.

Kyle M.
05-30-2021, 03:59 PM
I guess I don’t really know why I started this thread. I think it just seemed like a good idea at the time. I had just returned home from a day of shooting the Sig P210 and some revolvers and had noticed how my groups were slightly better shooting one handed.

44MAG#1
05-30-2021, 04:04 PM
I guess I don’t really no why I started this thread. I think it just seemed like a good idea at the time. I had just returned home from a day of shooting the Sig P210 and some revolvers and had noticed how my groups were slightly better shooting one handed.

I would say most of us could say that.

Norske
06-01-2021, 11:26 PM
You're a better shot than most of us. Your thread title is rubbing it in. I can take it, in my youth I was on a collegiate pistol team. That was long, long ago.

Kyle M.
06-02-2021, 01:56 PM
You're a better shot than most of us. Your thread title is rubbing it in. I can take it, in my youth I was on a collegiate pistol team. That was long, long ago.

What makes you think I’m a better shot than anyone here let alone most? I somehow doubt that with as little as I get to the range these last few years.

Bill*B
06-06-2021, 11:08 PM
If you own a handgun to repel boarders, two hands is the way to roll. The traditional target stance is for those more interested in developing a difficult hand eye skill.

44MAG#1
06-07-2021, 09:51 PM
If you own a handgun to repel boarders, two hands is the way to roll. The traditional target stance is for those more interested in developing a difficult hand eye skill.

If one is carrying their child or grandchild in their arms and someone picks them as an easy target because they are preoccupied with the child does that person throw the child down or toss the child to someone else so they can use two hands?
Learning to use one hand could be a value sometime.
I don't live in a palatial mansion so if I couldn't hit someone with one hand coming through my door then I'm in deep trouble even using two hands.
There probably are other situations where learning to shoot one handed may be edifying.

Catshooter
06-09-2021, 11:56 PM
If one carries then absolutely one should be able to shoot with either hand, one handed and two. All kinds of good reasons.

Cat

Hossfly
06-10-2021, 08:24 AM
It’s good to practice with either hand, especially if you get wounded in the hand you use. Also be able to operate 1 handed such as racking a slide 1 handed. Changing a magazine 1 handed.