PDA

View Full Version : Rhubarb time!

Idaho45guy
05-26-2021, 03:00 PM
My rhubarb plant is giant, and every year, I try to use it at least once for a recipe.

Made some strawberry/rhubarb crisp yesterday using a recipe from YouTube in which some orange zest and juice was added.

No idea if it turned out since my sense of taste and smell is still messed up. My girlfriend refused to even taste it, claiming she hates rhubarb not matter how much sugar, brown sugar, and butter is involved.

I think it turned out pretty good looking...

Rhubarb reminds me of being a kid and chewing on the stalks I'd pick from my parent's garden.

Anyone else actually like rhubarb?

grayscale
05-26-2021, 03:22 PM
Oh lord my grandmother's rhubarb cobbler! Shes been gone a long time now. Haven't had it since then. That recipe is lost , but I wonder if someone else might have similar?
grayscale

Gofaaast
05-26-2021, 03:45 PM
Rhubarb pie is my favorite! Also makes excellent jams and jellies.

farmerjim
05-26-2021, 03:47 PM
Looks good. I never had rhubarb pie till I was in my 40's. It does not grow down here in Louisiana. When I was working in Montreal Ca. I had a weekend place just across the border in NY state. I had a 40 foot row of rhubarb in my garden.

Lloyd Smale
05-26-2021, 03:48 PM
mine is just starting to grow up here in the north. I like to save it for when the strawberrys and raspberrys are ripe. My two favorites are the wifes strawberry rhubarb bars and my all time favorite is raspberry rhubarb pie with a scoup of vanila ice cream.

Shawlerbrook
05-26-2021, 03:54 PM
Had Mrs shawlerbrook’s rhubarb crisp last night with a big scoop of ice cream.

MaryB
05-26-2021, 04:08 PM
Had it twice so far and have a bowl full in the fridge to cook down for rhubarb sauce.

Take the sauce and use it in a milkshake! Good eats!

TyGuy
05-26-2021, 08:50 PM
Mmmm rhubarb! My great-grandmother always had rhubarb jam on hand. From as far back as I can remember up until she passed away about 7 years ago it was a tradition for my pops and I to bring the first morels of the year up to her. She lived 3 or 4 hours away but I always looked forward to that drive.

She and Grandpa loved morels and ours were always up a week or two before theirs. So once we found our first mess of them we’d drive straight up there. It was usually late by the time we got there and she’d send us to bed while she prepped them. The next morning we would wake to the sound and smell of those mushrooms frying in the kitchen along with usually some bacon and eggs. But my favorite was toast with a bit of butter and a heaping spoonful of Grandma’s rhubarb jam! You couldn’t have kept me in that bed if I was chained to it!

I miss those days but am sure glad to have the memories. I should see if anyone has that recipe...

Davy Sprocket
05-26-2021, 08:51 PM
I'm planning on making 6 strawberry rhubarb pies this year. I don't seem to have quite as much in the garden this year. Maybe some got a late start. Probably need to consider putting in new plants next spring.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

shell70634
05-26-2021, 09:01 PM
Send it to me and I'll provide a taste test report.

Shelly

Mk42gunner
05-26-2021, 09:06 PM
I was never all that wild about rhubarb, but my Grandma on Mom's side made very good pies from hers every year.

Grandma on Dad's side made excellent pies of any type, even gooseberry. Unfortunately the plant has died out.

One time shortly after I got my drivers license, Dad and I somehow ended up at his folks' house. Grandma offered us a piece of pie, which I thought was peach. I thought that until it hit my tongue. Oh no there's been a mistake, this isn't Grandma's peach pie. Is the sky falling? Is this the end of the world?

Turned out it was apricot. Still good, but it wasn't a peach pie.

Robert

Loudenboomer
05-26-2021, 11:28 PM
Rhubarb season is just about here in Northern Minnesota. My wife is planning on making pies for the holiday this weekend.
I told an old friend the trick to getting good Rhubarb is to cover it with horse manure in the fall. He says you put Manure on your Rhubarb?? Really?? I put sugar on mine. :)

abunaitoo
05-27-2021, 02:22 AM
A little sorry to say, I've never had Rhubarb.
Don't even know what it looks like.
I'm sure most who grew up here haven't.
So what does it taste like?????

Wayne Smith
05-27-2021, 08:14 AM
I grew up with it in Maine, but it doesn't do well with it's feet wet - so no go in Hampton Roads. Mom's strawberry rhubarb sauce was to die for, it was what she used to make strawberry rhubarb pie, we had dozen's of canning jars full of it in the basement each year when I was a kid.

bedbugbilly
05-27-2021, 08:22 AM
Mmmmmmmmmm .......... I can still taste my mother's rhubarb pie . . . . it was always a tie as to which was the best ......her rhubarb pie or her elderberry pies made from the berries I would gather from the various elderberry bushes on the farm. Thanks for the memories . . . . THAT SURE LOOKS GOOD!

BJK
05-27-2021, 08:48 AM
I love rhubarb! Before I was in ketosis any form of sweet that had rhubarb in it I would enjoy.

I had forgotten about rhubarb despite seeing it in the store this past week, and I thank the OP for posting this. As a vegetable (yes, I know it's thought of as a fruit, but it isn't) I immediately thought, "Hey, I bet I can eat that!". Yes, I can. One cup has 5.5g of carbs and half of those are in the form of fiber, so I can eat it. I'd need to sweeten it with a sweetener I can eat (they exist), but there's one more item on my list of things I can eat. Thanks!

abunaitoo, it has a sour and slightly sweet taste unsweetened and raw. I've never eaten it raw, always cooked in some manner, and sweetened. I find it impossible to describe the taste once cooked and sweetened. It's just good. It's a red stalk something like celery, but it doesn't grow in a head like celery. Individual stalks come out of the ground and only the stalk can be eaten. The leaves get trimmed away and discarded since they contain harmful amounts of oxalic acid. Unless it flown into Hawaii, or you come to the mainland I doubt you'll ever see it in the raw state. It requires a winter season to grow. There are also places in the continental US that can't grow it.

reloader28
05-27-2021, 09:19 AM
It makes good wine. A friend tried my rhubarb wine the other day and 2 days later we were picking 12 1/2 lbs for a 5 gal batch for him.

The wife has made bread, cake, crisp and sauce with it.
I've heard people say they only get one picking from theirs but mine grows and grows until it freezes. I've picked it clean 4 or 5 times a summer

Davy Sprocket
05-27-2021, 10:45 AM
So what does it taste like?????It looks like celery, but can be red most of the time. It tastes like a very sour apple. As most people here mentioned, it pairs perfectly with strawberries. You can also make rhubarb sauce which is similar to applesauce. Just add a ton of sugar.

Sent from my SM-T867V using Tapatalk

gwpercle
05-27-2021, 11:30 AM
I wish I could help you out with a recipe or two ... but I have no idea what a rhubarb is .
I've never even seen a wild one growing in the swamp or woods ... my Dad never planted any and Mom never cooked them !
Gary

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-27-2021, 12:15 PM
So what does it taste like?????

every once in a while, I buy a pineapple that is so unripe and sour, that it tastes like Rhubarb.

BJK
05-27-2021, 01:49 PM
I wish I could help you out with a recipe or two ... but I have no idea what a rhubarb is .
I've never even seen a wild one growing in the swamp or woods ... my Dad never planted any and Mom never cooked them !
Gary

It requires freezing winter temps to grow.

MaryB
05-27-2021, 02:18 PM
It makes good wine. A friend tried my rhubarb wine the other day and 2 days later we were picking 12 1/2 lbs for a 5 gal batch for him.

I've heard people say they only get one picking from theirs but mine grows and grows until it freezes. I've picked it clean 4 or 5 times a summer

I have a recipe for rhubarb beer... it is a sour beer so a style I am not that into... I need to experiment and see if I can do a sweet desert type beer with it...

MaryB
05-27-2021, 02:25 PM
There are now rhubarb varieties that will grow in the south! Start from seed in August and grow over the winter. It is an annual there, not a perennial like in northern states.

444ttd
05-27-2021, 03:16 PM
there's a mom and pop pie shop that makes the best rhubarb and strawberry pie.

thraxx
05-27-2021, 04:55 PM
I made some rhubarb syrup last night. The intention is to make cocktails out of it, and put the leftover "pulp" on pancakes.

Agent1187
05-29-2021, 08:01 AM
Rhubarb custard cake is my go to.

Otherwise, I've also found it makes a surprisingly mellow wine, or a brandy with a bite.

GOPHER SLAYER
05-30-2021, 03:49 PM
I do not like rhubarb pie. When you bite into it, it moves , almost like it's still alive. It certainly does not to compare to cherry, strawberry. peach or pecan.

WRideout
05-30-2021, 05:34 PM

I bought some rhubarb in the grocery store to make wine; the cashier didn't know what it was. I did make a gallon of wine, but it was so sour, I had to blend it with something else. Haven't tried it again. Now mulberry wine, that is something else again!

Wayne

Bwana John
05-30-2021, 07:31 PM
Knott's Berry Farm always had it prepared in a syrup as a sweet side dish in their fried chicken restaurant.

reloader28
06-01-2021, 09:04 AM
I bought some rhubarb in the grocery store to make wine; the cashier didn't know what it was. I did make a gallon of wine, but it was so sour, I had to blend it with something else. Haven't tried it again. Now mulberry wine, that is something else again!

Wayne

I always sweeten it at bottling time. No way I could drink it without backsweetening it.
I had some gooseberry wine that stalled and stayed really sweet one year. Mixed 50/50 with rhubarb made a VERY good wine.
Also mixed some raspberry/rhubarb 50/50 and it was awesome. Called them rasbarb and rhubagoose.
I just bottled strawberry/raspberry 50/50 that makes a very good special occasion/holiday wine. :drinks:

PhilC
06-01-2021, 02:28 PM
Rhubarb pie is a scant second to apple pie in my book, my mom's, or either of my grandma's (both long gone) were the best. Wife used to make pies all the time, including rhubarb when it was available. She always asked if her pies were as good as my mom's, came a point hers were better, but, alas, all good things come to an end. She will make a pie if I push real hard, other than that, only store bought these days. :sad:

Idaho45 I do remember chewing rhubarb fresh from the plant and that brings back memories from a long ways back!

Shanghai Jack
06-01-2021, 07:12 PM
Good stuff. Remember that the leafs are toxic to a lesser or greater extent with all kinds of symptoms ranging from gastro-intestinal distress to death. OSU extension Service has good information.

https://extension.oregonstate.edu/ask-expert/featured/are-rhubarb-leaves-toxic

Krag 1901
06-01-2021, 10:48 PM
When I was 4-10 we had a rhubarb plant in the yard and I liked to eat the stalks. Granny made a rubarb pie that was pretty good with a cold glass of Milk.

My Misses finally made a Orange Pie that I had been wondering about for a couple of years. We have an orange tree with great Navel Oranges, My wife makes a great Lemon pie from my neighbors Myer Lemon tree that hangs over our fence, so I asked her to make an Orange pie. Today she made it and put marshmallow topping on it. Speaking of which it's time to get down and try a slice now!

abunaitoo
06-02-2021, 02:25 AM
Did some web surfing on it.
For some reason I thought it was some kind of fruit.
Also found it's used as medicine, and the leaf is not good.
With a lots of foods, I've always wondered what made the first person to try it try it.
Some food don't even smell good.
like Durian, and Noni.
I've not tried Durian, but had to finish a bottle of Noni.
Friend gave me a bottle, and I felt I had to finish it.
Took a whole month.
Taste like the bile after you throw up.
That very first guy must have bee desperate or something.

coloraydo
06-03-2021, 04:13 AM
That very first guy must have bee desperate or something.[/QUOTE]

To me that would be the first guy to try eating a raw oyster. That HAD to have been a "hold my beer" moment.:mrgreen:

444ttd
06-03-2021, 02:29 PM
That very first guy must have bee desperate or something.

To me that would be the first guy to try eating a raw oyster. That HAD to have been a "hold my beer" moment.:mrgreen:[/QUOTE]

mmmmmmmmm...........oysters!!!!!!!!

bangerjim
06-03-2021, 02:52 PM
Never ventured even close to rhubarb anything. How does one know when the leaves start and the stems stop???????? Stems are OK (if you like the taste) but leaves contain oxalates which can cause kidney stones when combined with Ca in your body and other nasty things and in sufficient quantities (a lot) can be deadly. I have had 3 stone incidents caused by oxalate acid (calcium oxalate) and I never eat anything (knowingly) that has much in it. Doctor suggested a low oxalate diet for me.

So I always pass on the rhubarb anything at church dinners!

banger

Finster101
06-03-2021, 06:07 PM
Tried it several times in various things. Not my taste at all. Growing up in Kentucky there was mostly blackberry, apple and the occasional peach cobbler. I do so miss my Dad's mother's wild blackberry cobblers and jam. I have never had anything better.

MaryB
06-04-2021, 02:02 PM
Never ventured even close to rhubarb anything. How does one know when the leaves start and the stems stop???????? Stems are OK (if you like the taste) but leaves contain oxalates which can cause kidney stones when combined with Ca in your body and other nasty things and in sufficient quantities (a lot) can be deadly. I have had 3 stone incidents caused by oxalate acid (calcium oxalate) and I never eat anything (knowingly) that has much in it. Doctor suggested a low oxalate diet for me.

So I always pass on the rhubarb anything at church dinners!

banger

Easy to see where the leaf and stalk separate. I usually cut 1/2 inch below the leaf edge to make sure I am not getting a lot of the oxalic acid.

https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/fresh-rhubarb-stalk-leaf-19819042.jpg

abunaitoo
06-06-2021, 03:28 AM
I used to like raw oysters.
They don't like me now.....Gout.

richhodg66
06-06-2021, 08:14 AM
I've never lived anywhere except briefly in Alaska where it grew. I suppose it could grow here in Kansas, but doesn't seem like it.

My grandparents were northerners who grew up in Minnesota and lived in Michigan when I was young and Grandmother used to make a lot of things with it. I like rhubarb.