PDA

View Full Version : Can you legally put primers In checked baggage?

VariableRecall
05-25-2021, 06:45 PM
Let’s say that someone while visiting a location by air, finds a great deal on primers. Is it possible to bring the primers with you, in their original, unsealed packaging in your checked baggage as long as you declare them?

Even if there was a good deal on primers I’d think dealing with the TSA is more trouble than it’s worth.

05-25-2021, 06:47 PM
Could be worth shipping via conventional methods. ie; UPS, etc. I'm sure they have regs to cover it.

VariableRecall
05-25-2021, 07:05 PM
Could be worth shipping via conventional methods. ie; UPS, etc. I'm sure they have regs to cover it.

Part of the hope of bringing them along with you would be avoid paying for Hazmat fees and shipping. Much like buying your powder locally, there is a lot of value in being able to “ship” it to your address yourself.

Half Dog
05-25-2021, 07:22 PM
I’m also interested. I have a family member who could use some primers when I fly out there to visit.

Cargo
05-25-2021, 07:27 PM
If you're in the US and close to an airport you'd also be close to a UPS/FedEx/DHL office. You could feign ignorance but it wouldn't be worth the inconvenience of missing your flight and the possibilty of being arrested or put on the no-fly list.

skeettx
05-25-2021, 07:29 PM
https://www.enterprisenews.com/article/20101230/NEWS/312309657

Bmi48219
05-25-2021, 07:38 PM
Good question. This off TSA website:

——“The final decision rests with the TSA officer on whether an item is allowed through the checkpoint.

Parts of Guns and Firearms
Carry On Bags: No
Checked Bags: Yes (Special Instructions)
Firearm parts, including magazines, clips, bolts and firing pins, are prohibited in carry-on, but may be transported in checked bags. Check with your airline to see if they allow firearms in checked bags. Read the guidelines for traveling with firearms.
When traveling, be sure to comply with the laws concerning possession of firearms as they vary by local, state and international government.”—-

Gun powder, smokeless powder and explosives are forbidden. Ammo in proper packaging can be checked provided it doesn’t exceed a certain weight.
Caveat is some airlines have stricter rules.
You can photo the item you wish to take and send pic to TSA for their ruling.

JimB..
05-25-2021, 07:44 PM
They are explosives in DOT regs, so can’t be transported on commercial aircraft. Sorry, no time to find links.

Cargo
05-25-2021, 07:50 PM

That was 11 years ago. Please bear in mind that airlines can reject anything for almost any reason, it's THEIR plane. IF it's still FFA/TSA legal they could decide it would need to be packed in a safe and secure manner. A trip to UPS would be a lot cheaper and much faster than a trip to a HM packer. IF it's still legal by the time the airline and TSA finally admits it you would have already missed your flight.
Unless you really just enjoy arguing legal semantics with rule nazis just go to UPS and drop an extra $20 on HM fees.

bakerjw
05-25-2021, 07:51 PM
Primers are very hazardous. That is why it is so expensive to ship them. Checked baggage? Trip to the principles office if not the crowbar hotel.

bimus
05-25-2021, 08:54 PM
Last time I flew from Atlanta Georgia back to Colorado with 4 pistols in two plastic pistol cases and two more pistol cases with loaded magazines 200 rounds our bags where given to the airline company and the guns and ammo where given to the TSA people they sealed it and marked all boxes as firearms and never looked in side I asked why the did not look in side any of them and he said they would if they detected any residue no problem . I also asked him how many people get in trouble for not checking guns he said about 11 a day through the US that fly with them and them stop by and tell them there is a flaw in the system and on one stopped them from getting on the plane then they are arrested . I remember how my only sister forgot who I was and had nothing to do with me when I was carrying 4 plastic cases marked firearms in side both airports .

RickinTN
05-25-2021, 10:27 PM
A non-certified individual cannot ship primers. There is much more involved than just paying a Haz mat fee. I suspect an individual cannot fly with them either, checked or not.
Rick

poppy42
05-25-2021, 10:39 PM

I don’t buy the story at all! I say it’s a load of bull!

M-Tecs
05-25-2021, 10:42 PM
Primers are very hazardous. That is why it is so expensive to ship them. Checked baggage? Trip to the principles office if not the crowbar hotel.

Hazmat requirement came about because of a lithium battery fire that took down ValuJet Flight 592. As of April 30, 2021, there have been 312 air/airport incidents involving lithium batteries carried as cargo or baggage recorded since January 23, 2006. Note: These are events that the FAA is aware of and should not be considered a complete listing of all such incidents. https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/resources/lithium_batteries/media/Battery_incident_chart.pdf

On the other hand there are zero such incidents with primers. Your lithium batteries are far more hazardous then the claimed "Primers are very hazardous. That is why it is so expensive to ship them. "

Primers are explosives, class 1.4 and require you to have a hazmat cert to ship. . Class 1.4 is not normally shipped via Air and almost never on commercial passenger flights.

Loaded ammo where primer is secured in primer pocket is considered Other Restricted Material Domestic (ORM-D) and doesn't require hazmat cert.

Primed cases can not be mailed but the don't even require ORM-D. https://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/mailing-shipping-primed-brass-the-regs-and-the-law.3812580/

Stewbaby
05-25-2021, 11:29 PM
Hazmat requirement came about because of a lithium battery fire that took down ValuJet Flight 592...

Just a quick update on that...I believe it was oxygen generators that they thought were empty and so were improperly packaged. Same valid point though...don’t put others at risk.

M-Tecs
05-25-2021, 11:32 PM
Just a quick update on that...I believe it was oxygen generators that they thought were empty and so were improperly packaged. Same valid point though...don’t put others at risk.

Yes you are correct. My memory appears to be slipping. Thanks for the correction.

Stewbaby
05-25-2021, 11:38 PM
Loaded ammo where primer is secured in primer pocket is considered Other Restricted Material Domestic (ORM-D) and doesn't require hazmat cert.

Primed cases can not be mailed but the don't even require ORM-D. https://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/mailing-shipping-primed-brass-the-regs-and-the-law.3812580/

Just to update, note that ORM-D was retired end of 2020.

https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-center/packaging-and-supplies/special-care-shipments/hazardous-materials/ground-orm-d.page?

Now it is marked ‘limited quantity’ with the black and white diamond.

https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-center/packaging-and-supplies/special-care-shipments/hazardous-materials/shipping-ammunition.page?

Cargo
05-25-2021, 11:47 PM
Yes you are correct. My memory appears to be slipping. Thanks for the correction.

IIRC the O2 generators were being transferred as CoMat, company material, and were basically thrown on board to transfer to another airport. That flight changed a lot of things in the air industry.

Greg S
05-25-2021, 11:54 PM
NO! Cargo only flights only, must be declared ect... Had 2 flats in a work tote I forgot about and ended up costing 750 + freight and FAA returned the two flats of Rem 7.5s to me.

bakerjw
05-26-2021, 06:20 AM
I was typing quick when I said that they were expensive to ship due to being hazardous. There is the certification involved and you must have a staffed 24x7 phone number who has information related to the shipment. The big boys, like Midway USA, spread the expense across more shipments, that's why you get a $10.00 or even free hazmat at times. Other places, like where I bought some black powder and percussion caps, charge more. $35.00 each on my last order. Lucky for me, they forgot to label the box for the percussion caps.

farmbif
05-26-2021, 07:44 AM
lets put it this way.
if you were an NTSB investigator sifting though the wreckage of a domestic passenger jet and came across a case of reloading primers that somehow got popped off in the baggage compartment and brought the plane down how would you explain this to the relatives of the souls who perished in the crash. Might be a different story for a bush pilot in Alaska taking supplies to resident in the far north. But I'm afraid its probably against some laws and FAA regulations to put primers ammo or powder on a passenger plane. This is why UPS has to supply ground transport for anything listed as hazmat.
as my daughter told me last time I picked her up at an airport, geez like you know they threw away my bottle of contact lens fluid after my bag went through the X-ray machine. Yup you sure don't want to run afoul of TSA or FAA bringing combustibles or explosives on a passenger plane.

Gator 45/70
05-26-2021, 08:08 AM
Yep, Those TSA boys took my tooth paste and shaving cream leaving Hotlanta in 2019, Going up there the departing TSA boys let it pass?

I'm like take it, I'll buy more when I get back to civilization in La. Think I hurt the squirrels feelings?

MrWolf
05-26-2021, 10:34 AM
If loaded ammo is allowed in checked in luggage. Just hand prime them into a caliber you have plenty of brass for. Wouldn't take long and should be legal from what was stated here, right?

JimB..
05-26-2021, 11:45 AM
If loaded ammo is allowed in checked in luggage. Just hand prime them into a caliber you have plenty of brass for. Wouldn't take long and should be legal from what was stated here, right?

If you’re going to put them in brass, better to just ship them via UPS ground to avoid the uncertainty and risk at the airport. As for checking ammo, I assume that there is a limit and guess that it’s less than 1,000 rounds, but don’t know.

Handloader109
05-26-2021, 12:01 PM
If you’re going to put them in brass, better to just ship them via UPS ground to avoid the uncertainty and risk at the airport. As for checking ammo, I assume that there is a limit and guess that it’s less than 1,000 rounds, but don’t know.That wouldn't be a bad idea if you had a couple of hours or so of time on your hand. Bring a couple of thousand empty sized brass with you and a hand primer. prime the cases, box up and UPS them home.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

hiram
05-26-2021, 12:08 PM
I flew from Florida to Nevada 4X with my club to go to Frontsight. We told the ticketing agent "I have a firearm to declare." The firearm was in a locked Pelican box in the stowed luggage. I had ammo in the same piece of luggage but not in the gun box. She asked me to open the luggage and taped a label on the Pelican box. She did not bother with the ammo. I think if you put the primers in a locked gun box and say "I have ammo to declare" you might be asked to open your luggage for the ticketing agent to view and that would be that. Check the rules of the airline you are flying with. I flew Southwest.

kerplode
05-26-2021, 01:00 PM
Let’s say that someone while visiting a location by air, finds a great deal on primers. Is it possible to bring the primers with you, in their original, unsealed packaging in your checked baggage as long as you declare them?

No, it's not possible to check them with your luggage.

JimB..
05-26-2021, 01:35 PM
I flew from Florida to Nevada 4X with my club to go to Frontsight. We told the ticketing agent "I have a firearm to declare." The firearm was in a locked Pelican box in the stowed luggage. I had ammo in the same piece of luggage but not in the gun box. She asked me to open the luggage and taped a label on the Pelican box. She did not bother with the ammo. I think if you put the primers in a locked gun box and say "I have ammo to declare" you might be asked to open your luggage for the ticketing agent to view and that would be that. Check the rules of the airline you are flying with. I flew Southwest.
I just hate to gamble on the indifference or ignorance of law enforcement, my luck I get the new guy (or gal) with a degree in forensics that did an internship at ATF.

kerplode
05-26-2021, 01:43 PM
I think if you put the primers in a locked gun box and say "I have ammo to declare" you might be asked to open your luggage for the ticketing agent to view and that would be that.

This is shady advice. If someone at TSA finds primers in your luggage because you lied to the ticket agent, they're gonna go in dry. Your ass will end up in jail over it. Real talk...

M-Tecs
05-26-2021, 04:09 PM
and you must have a staffed 24x7 phone number who has information related to the shipment.

Nope................. Where are you getting this misinformation?

Back to the OP's question here is some of the guidance you would need to start the process and even when completed you still most likely won't be able to take them on a commercial passenger aircraft.

https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/packsafe/more_info/?hazmat=4

Quantity limits: Reasonable amount for "personal use" during a trip. However, international (ICAO/IATA) regulations and some airlines in the U.S. limit this to 5 kg (11 pounds) gross weight per passenger. Check with your airline.

Small arms ammunition includes cartridges up to 19.1 mm (.75 caliber) and shotgun shells. It does not include black powder, smokeless powder, primers, percussion caps, or homemade powder and ball loads for muzzle loading.

https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/safecargo/how_to_ship/

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition

https://www.berlinpackaging.com/shipping-hazardous-materials-a-how-to-guide-to-compliance/?msclkid=89bc1183ee1919ba243d712d47b7a7be&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=(ROI)%20Search%20-%20NB%20-%20DSA%20-%20All%20Webpages&utm_term=berlinpackaging&utm_content=All%20Webpages

M-Tecs
05-26-2021, 04:18 PM
If you’re going to put them in brass, better to just ship them via UPS ground to avoid the uncertainty and risk at the airport. As for checking ammo, I assume that there is a limit and guess that it’s less than 1,000 rounds, but don’t know.

Most carriers limit the weight of ammunition to 11 pounds (the international standard of 5 kilograms), so it’s advisable t to check with your airline before arriving at the airport.

https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/packsafe/more_info/?hazmat=4

M-Tecs
05-26-2021, 04:32 PM
Just to update, note that ORM-D was retired end of 2020.

https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-center/packaging-and-supplies/special-care-shipments/hazardous-materials/ground-orm-d.page?

Now it is marked ‘limited quantity’ with the black and white diamond.

https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-center/packaging-and-supplies/special-care-shipments/hazardous-materials/shipping-ammunition.page?

Most people know what ORM-D is as it relates to ammunition shipping so that is the least confusing term obsolete or not. The new term ‘limited quantity’ not so much. This change has been in the works since 2011.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2013/02/new-diamond-shaped-ammo-shipping-labels-replace-orm-d/
OFFICIAL UPS RULES — Elimination of ORM-D Classification

In an attempt to harmonize and align with international standards, the DOT has amended the 49CFR regulations regarding the ORM-D classification. Effective January 19, 2011, with the publication of the HM-215K final rule, the hazard class of ORM-D is being eliminated. Those materials may still be shipped classified as a limited quantity (“Ltd Qty”).

2014 or 2015 is when I purchase some of the black and white diamond labels (‘limited quantity’). I was shipping a lot of ORM-D at the time.

I believe it is also a sticky on this site. I have note researched the issue in the last couple of years, however, at least at that time NOTHING in the requirements changed other than the use of the Internal recognized symbol. I mostly stopped following the panicked posting on this. I have repeatedly asked what actual changes accrued other then that going from a ORM-D label to Internal ‘limited quantity’ symbol????????

Smoke4320
05-26-2021, 04:53 PM
FROM UPS website

Effective January 1, 2021 the ORM-D classification will be obsolete per D.O.T. HM-215K
After December 31, 2020, the ORM-D classification will be obsolete per D.O.T. HM-215K

All ORM-D classifications (Consumer Commodity; Cartridges, small arms; and Cartridges power device) are being eliminated and may no longer be used after December 31, 2020.

To determine if your material is eligible for the Limited Quantity exceptions for Ground Service, go to:

Limited Quantity Exception - Ground Service

If you have any questions about shipping hazardous materials with UPS, please call the UPS Hazardous Materials Support Center at 1-800-554-9964.

Geezer in NH
05-26-2021, 04:55 PM
Let's see. Primers cannot be shipped air they must go ground. Ask the folks in Alaska and Hawaii. Do you really think they can be in luggage?

No look up regs or nothing I will State NO. Prove me wrong.

Jail or fines and lawyer fees can be high.

1 Guy in the town next to me got caught with his .22 woods pistol in his carry on luggage that had his wood cruiser jacket in it. 2-3 years later with $150,000 spent on lawyer and fines PLUS the money the NRA spent he got off with the fines. Moron at the time did not even have the at the time NH carry license , a go to town hall and PD chief delvers to you for 4 years at $10 bucks.

Being dumb trying to get them by I bet will get you at least lifelong NO Firearms for you and a few Thousands of dollars in costs so go ahead folks poke the bear.

VariableRecall
05-26-2021, 07:25 PM
I think I may just not tempt fate and not suffer a terrible time with the TSA, and encourage others to do the same.

monadnock#5
05-26-2021, 07:30 PM
In the summer of 2019 I flew from Bradley to Sea-Tac, and back again a week later. The TSA at Bradley were great. Very professional, very observant. But no shoes, no belts, just follow the instructions on the placards and keep it moving. Was quite pleased to see things getting back to normal....Sea-Tac was the complete opposite. All rules were strictly enforced. I didn't witness anyone mouthing off, no one dared. They even had a canine ready for action. The demeanor of the agents was of employees who had recently been reamed hard by the regional agent in charge. The attitude on that particular day was, arrest them regardless of the facts at hand, and let the federal prosecutors figure it out.

DJack
03-20-2022, 08:09 PM

Even if there was a good deal on primers I’d think dealing with the TSA is more trouble than it’s worth.

You cannot. Only ammunition under 11 pounds can be in checked baggage.
FFA rules specifically define what ammunition is NOT, which it is not powder, primers, caps, etc.
See. https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/packsafe/more_info/?hazmat=4

brassrat
03-21-2022, 06:21 PM
Ammunition is primers, brass, powder, elsewhere in the Law, and often

JimB..
03-21-2022, 09:27 PM
Ammunition is primers, brass, powder, elsewhere in the Law, and often

Just because ammunition has primers doesn’t mean that primers are considered ammunition.

Completely different things for DOT. Now stick a primer in a piece of brass and you get the benefit of less stringent rules because of the reduced risk of mass detonation.

Greg S
03-22-2022, 03:22 AM
Alot of folks that come into town from the bush for their periodic ammo run buy their components in Anchorage and reload their ammo in their hotel room and package it up to fly back out to the Bush.

Gator 45/70
03-22-2022, 10:22 AM
Alot of folks that come into town from the bush for their periodic ammo run buy their components in Anchorage and reload their ammo in their hotel room and package it up to fly back out to the Bush.

Ha, Anchorage guess who checked a Ruger mark II in his check-on baggage, No ammo in a locked box and still got stopped by a deputy before boarding and got the old magic wand treatment?
I thought the poor check-in lady was going to crap her step-ins when I declared the pistol?

ACC
03-22-2022, 09:28 PM
I go to the border here in Texas to visit friends and I know they won't allow primers across. I bought 2 bricks of Augila Primers in Mexico and they took them away from me and gave me a warning.

ACC