PDA

View Full Version : A quick cannonball mold

redneck1
05-25-2021, 12:08 AM
A friend made himself a cannon , not thinking real hard when he did the barrel he used an oddball sized reamer that he had on hand .

So I made him a mold today , he wanted a drop the greased ball down the barrel fit so I made the cavity the same size dia as the reamer and let shrinkage provide the clearance .

This was a pretty quick project , and used up a few pieces of scrap

zymguy
05-25-2021, 12:18 AM
very cool, whats the diameter ? any cannon pics ?

redneck1
05-25-2021, 12:52 AM
The cavity diameter is .543 , the ball should be something like .538 in pure lead .
And no pictures of the cannon , its not mine or finished yet .
This was just encouragement to finish the carriage .

TjB101
05-25-2021, 05:39 AM
Video of first shot please … you’re a good friend.

redneck1
05-25-2021, 06:49 AM
Well to be honest the encouragement is coming along from a desire to get him out of my shop . he has a lathe but no mill . so he has been using my manual mill to build the carriage .
And its not that he doesn't respect my stuff , he just happens to be a bit of a neat nik and when my backs turned he goes around putting stuff away .

Now I can't find anything because its all back where its supposed to be .

MUSTANG
05-25-2021, 09:11 AM
Well to be honest the encouragement is coming along from a desire to get him out of my shop . he has a lathe but no mill . so he has been using my manual mill to build the carriage .
And its not that he doesn't respect my stuff , he just happens to be a bit of a neat nik and when my backs turned he goes around putting stuff away .

Now I can't find anything because its all back where its supposed to be .

Can I borrow him for a few weeks? My storage and shop areas have suffered from my lack of organization attention the last two years. Good looking project results.

redneck1
05-25-2021, 08:41 PM
Thanks , it did turn out nice for all the more time I put into it .

He was a bit fascinated with the thread milling for the handle pins .
So much easier then using taps