PDA

View Full Version : Seeking slighly heavy Makarov bullets

HumptyDumpty
05-24-2021, 06:43 AM
I need a handful of heavier-than-usual 9x18 projectiles, just enough to see if that will lower my point of impact a bit; the pistol shoots consistently high, and I do not want to file down the rear sight. 100 grains would be perfect. Can pay cash or trade for a few .308 175 grain j-words.

Conditor22
05-24-2021, 01:28 PM
You could try putting a couple of coats of paint on your front sight to bring it up a little or lower your powder charge.

All I ever used was the lee .365-95-RN.

0verkill
05-24-2021, 02:07 PM
Heavier ones will hit higher, you want lighter or faster bullets to reduce dwell time in the barrel so it's not pointed as high when the bullet exits.

HumptyDumpty
05-24-2021, 02:26 PM
Heavier ones will hit higher, you want lighter or faster bullets to reduce dwell time in the barrel so it's not pointed as high when the bullet exits.

Really? That's not at all what I would have expected. It's hitting about 6-8" high at 25 yards with factory (Fiocchi) ammo.

0verkill
05-25-2021, 02:15 AM
Everybody assumes heavier bullets drop more. Think of your wrist like a pivot though, more recoil sends the barrel higher and depending on when it comes out the barrel affects what angle it's heading towards the target. It souns counter intuitive at first, I know. What weight are the bullets on the Fiocchi and have you chrono'd it?

HumptyDumpty
05-25-2021, 08:01 AM
95 grains. I have a chronograph, but haven't tested them yet. What you're describing would require the gun to begin recoiling before the bullets has completely left the barrel. How could such a thing happen? I've not experienced this with other pistols, including things like 444 Marlin, 45 Super, and 44 Magnum. Single shot, revolver, and autoloader, respectively.

Paper Puncher
05-25-2021, 09:46 AM
What you're describing would require the gun to begin recoiling before the bullets has completely left the barrel. How could such a thing happen?

The propellant burning creates the gas (force) to move the projectile. A large portion burning before the projectile leaves the barrel (that burning outside the barrel not contributing to bullet velocity). Remember equal and opposite reaction? The recoil is generated while the projectile is in the barrel. Heavier bullet more recoil muzzle higher when bullet exits.
This is quite common with .357 Mag 125 vs 158 gr loads 6 in barrel.

HumptyDumpty
05-25-2021, 10:12 AM
I suppose I've just never gotten quite the correct combination of powder and projectile to notice.

Conditor22
05-25-2021, 12:30 PM
Really? That's not at all what I would have expected. It's hitting about 6-8" high at 25 yards with factory (Fiocchi) ammo.

Sounds like it's sighted in for 100 yards like the civil war revolvers. 6-8" at 25 is a lot

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-25-2021, 02:52 PM
I need a handful of heavier-than-usual 9x18 projectiles, just enough to see if that will lower my point of impact a bit; the pistol shoots consistently high, and I do not want to file down the rear sight. 100 grains would be perfect. Can pay cash or trade for a few .308 175 grain j-words.

I have some Lee 365-95-1r that drop at 103 gr using COWW.
I have some unsized that are tumble lubed (measure just under .367)
and I have some sized .366 and lubed with SL68B

I use a standard charge of Powerpistol with these 103 grainers for my P-64 and are relatively close to iron site POI at 50 feet.

0verkill
05-26-2021, 12:21 AM
If you want to go lighter I got some 90gr Gold Dots, 5 grains ain't much though. I'm not much of a speed freak, but either way I'd try to push them as fast as possible to try to get them out of the barrel quicker. I looked through the Speer #13 (newest I got) and there wasn't a lot of difference between lowest and highest, a bit noticable between lowest 95gr velocity and highest 90gr velocity. Maybe some judicious studying of velocities attainable with a burn rate chart would help.

racepres
05-27-2021, 02:45 PM

Proven to myself time and again... In handgun... Rifle???? Not so