PDA

View Full Version : summer squash surprise

farmbif
05-22-2021, 06:45 PM
thought I'd share mamma's recipe

in large pan with good cover,
chop up an onion, the kind that brings tears to eyes not a sweet Vidaila one
brown onion in pan with real butter

slice yellow and zucchini squash into pan of browned onion when pan is half full scrape browed onions up from bottom to mix with squash with spatula , add more butter, a tablespoon or two
fill pan with more sliced squash

cover and let them cook a bit till some get soft, mix a few times till all are cooked down and squash juice is bubbling in pan
I guess its kind of like steaming them down without adding water just the moisture from squashes

at this point you can just add a little black pepper or you squeeze a bulb of garlic into pan mix and recover cook a bit more on simmer
and other stuff can be added like sweet corn cut from the cob or broccoli are a couple good ones

don't boil out all the juice
eats real good with potato or rice, chicken, fish or beef

Der Gebirgsjager
05-22-2021, 06:59 PM
Sounds good!

DG

gwpercle
05-22-2021, 09:14 PM
Thanks for recipe !
Been raining off and on for last two weeks ... squash vines have grown all over ... I'm getting scared , if this doesn't slow down I'll be up to my elbows in yellow squash !
Starting to gather a few good recipes ... I think I'm going to need them .
Gary

Thundarstick
05-22-2021, 10:04 PM
Been eating squash cooked that way all my life!

bluebird66
05-23-2021, 06:52 AM
I love squash.

MT Gianni
05-26-2021, 12:09 AM
You can also get it almost done and top with bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese then finish it in the oven. 350 for about 20 minutes.

farmerjim
05-26-2021, 06:39 AM
Very close to the way I like it. I will be eating it till the frost in Nov or Dec.