PDA

View Full Version : Started my casting season today

CTI1USNRET
05-22-2021, 01:37 PM
Turned off the heat for the season, installed the window air conditioner, AND

started casting today. Made 40 good .535 RBs for my Great Plains Rifle. It took longer to get ready and melt the lead than it did to cast the balls.

And, I've got 5 gals of mash fermenting in the shed.

Shanghai Jack
05-23-2021, 09:40 AM
Turned off the heat for the season, installed the window air conditioner, AND

started casting today. Made 40 good .535 RBs for my Great Plains Rifle. It took longer to get ready and melt the lead than it did to cast the balls.

And, I've got 5 gals of mash fermenting in the shed.

Brothers from a different mother - finished cleaning the garage yesterday and fired up the lead pot. 10 pounds of cleaned lead gave me a little over 100 nice 535 grain pellets for my 45-120. Going to cast the round balls for my Great Plains this morning.
And, I got a gallon of wine calling my name after I'm done.

rodwha
05-23-2021, 12:00 PM
Hmmm, I’ve yet to start casting .457” balls to retest my revolvers as I got a new powder measure that will allow me to accurately test by 2.5 grn increments instead of by 5 (rifle measure). Bottled up some hoppy honey wheat that’s my best batch yet, and need to bottle up my first attempt at a mead.

Shanghai Jack
05-23-2021, 02:28 PM
Hmmm, I’ve yet to start casting .457” balls to retest my revolvers as I got a new powder measure that will allow me to accurately test by 2.5 grn increments instead of by 5 (rifle measure). Bottled up some hoppy honey wheat that’s my best batch yet, and need to bottle up my first attempt at a mead.

Good luck with the mead. Haven't made any since I left Kalifornia - maybe time to try some with some Texas honey.

rodwha
05-23-2021, 04:25 PM
Thanks!

What kind of wine are you making? I bought my wife several 3 gal Better Bottles because she wanted to make fruit wines. She did, two, but it apparently didn’t strike her fancy so I took over and decided to try dry mead. Looked at wine kits from MoreWine, but they’re all 5 gal kits and fairly pricy. I bought their 5 gal hydromel kit and just added a little more honey shooting for 12% ABV.