PDA

View Full Version : Whose buying all the ebay molds?

ihunts2much
01-02-2009, 09:29 PM
I looked at the last 7 molds I bid on and saw a pattern in the high bidders, They were different user names, but all had a letter, 3 astrix, and a letter ie., c***p, e***a , a***q. Coincidence or conspiracy?

GLL
01-02-2009, 09:33 PM
Those are not user names. EBay assigns a code to each bidder until the bidding is over. The only user name you can actually see while bidding is your own !

Jerry

10-x
01-02-2009, 09:40 PM
"feebay" has made a policy of hiding all buyers names with BS symbols. Not sure but "I" figure their days are numbered with the new policy of paypal only.....Credit card rate are fixing to go through the roof...........think feebay/paypal are not going up?.......Hummmmm they own paypal and now anyone doing business on feebay has to use it??????...............let see now........add all the fees for listing up (listing, photos ,ECT) along with the "final value fees" and looks like any "sale" is going to cost the seller about 12% . Wait till this summer........Better off selling it here.!:Fire:

ihunts2much
01-02-2009, 10:40 PM
"Those are not user names. EBay assigns a code to each bidder until the bidding is over. The only user name you can actually see while bidding is your own !"

That solves that, I was starting to wonder what this *** guy was doing with all the molds!

NSP64
01-02-2009, 10:59 PM
It is probably to keep people from contacting other bidders to sell them something like they were bidding on without having to list it.[smilie=1:

jhrosier
01-02-2009, 11:40 PM
It is probably to keep people from contacting other bidders to sell them something like they were bidding on without having to list it.[smilie=1:

You got it.
I used to do that from time to time. By looking at the bids, you could see how much a person was actually willing to pay for an item. I made two or three instant sales that way and neither of us had to pay evilbay a penny in commissions. Yep, it was agin their rules but what's wrong with make up new rules that favor the little guy?

The shooting related forums are a much better way to move your spare stuff nowadays, if you are not out to fleece people. That doesn't work in a tight community like ours and sleezeballs are shown the exit real quick, unlike the relative anonimimity of evilbay.

Jack

cajun shooter
01-02-2009, 11:57 PM
When you see a bid from someone with only a 2 or 3 behind the name that means thatn is the sales or buys they have completed. My radar goes off on the mold sales of late as these people are rasing the price on all molds. Probably friends or family. If I'm biding on a item and this happens I shut down and stop biding. JUst this past week a 2 person keep rasing my bid so I stoped and he won the item. I then receive this e-mail from the seller stating that he some how found the very same item and that I could have it with a second chance bid. Sounds like a crock from the start. I refused the offer.

waksupi
01-03-2009, 01:56 AM
I do know one guy, who casts very little, but buys a lot of molds. He is a shooter, and a collector, or maybe I should say accumulator, or all types of shooting related items. Price is no object to him, if it is something he doesn't have. I imagine there may be a few more of that type around.

Maven
01-03-2009, 11:06 AM
"Price is no object to him, if it is something he doesn't have. I imagine there may be a few more of that type around."

After carefully looking at the bidding on molds/moulds on FU-Bay, I've got to wonder whether bidders have more money than brains. Of course, there are bargains to be had, but these are the exception rather than the rule lately.

Hardcast416taylor
01-03-2009, 12:05 PM
I agree that they seem to make the rules for business up as they go! I will bid on a mold or 2 and a day before closing the bids have tripled the price. Someone must think the molds are made from old meteroites with diamonds inside them. I also found that by just asking the seller if they would accept a m.o. they all have said yes to date. A friend, yes I have a friend, has tried to sell home made shot on the site. Always gets the boot about 4 days into the 7 day listing. He`s going to try listing it as scrap lead for your own purposes and see how long this listing lasts. :confused: Robert

montana_charlie
01-03-2009, 12:53 PM
The coded ID's have stopped those 'nasty notes' after the sale...from disgruntled bidders who got outbid. One guy said he had managed to stay as top bidder for six days...so he deserved to win that auction.

It is probably to keep people from contacting other bidders to sell them something like they were bidding on without having to list it.[smilie=1:You got it.
I used to do that from time to time. By looking at the bids, you could see how much a person was actually willing to pay for an item. I made two or three instant sales that way and neither of us had to pay evilbay a penny in commissions. Yep, it was agin their rules but what's wrong with make up new rules that favor the little guy?

The shooting related forums are a much better way to move your spare stuff nowadays, if you are not out to fleece people. That doesn't work in a tight community like ours and sleezeballs are shown the exit real quick, unlike the relative anonimimity of evilbay.

Jack
You think it's wrong to 'fleece' people on a forum (where you are known) but you feel it's Ok to 'fleece' eBay because you can remain anonymous.

Now, maybe you didn't mean to say that you are a 'dishonest sneak thief' when conditions let you hide your identity. And, maybe you didn't intend to say that you are only 'a stand up guy' when lack of anonymity forces you to be.

But that's the way it sounds...
CM

EDK
01-03-2009, 02:43 PM
If I have a choice, I buy used moulds, etc. from people on the forums I frequent...it isn't too hard to figure out who is a SOB (or a DOB!) and they don't stick around very long anyhow.

There's a lot of unusual/rare stuff jumping out of people's closets and garages lately....and more to come as the economy stays sluggish or worse. Bargains abound for the guy with a few yankee dollars in his pocket. On the other side, there are speculators who really don't know what they are doing and what a reasonable price is...and people willing to pay those prices. I'm still in shock on what appeared to be a 6 cavity 311 RANCH DOG mould going for $145 BUY NOW in about a day on eBay. A local seller had a MARLIN 336T in primo shape listed 3 times on Gunbroker in the last month ...first two times had a reserve over $500; no sale--reserve not met....last time was a standard auction, no reserve; no bids with a start of $450. Maybe Off Topic, but these two extremes are really amusing.

:cbpour: :redneck: :Fire:

NSP64
01-03-2009, 03:05 PM
I have never contacted someone on -bay about selling like items, but plenty have contacted me after sales end. I was always wary of them, because you don't know who the other bidders were(may have been the seller). I haven't bought anything from -bay since they W/N allow gun parts. Most of my mold purchases/sales have been through here(as you can see I support this site).

I only know why they stopped listing the names or the bidders.:drinks:

NSP64
01-03-2009, 03:09 PM
Bargains abound for the guy with a few yankee dollars in his pocket. :cbpour: :redneck: :Fire:

Better spend them now before we have to switch to Euros:(

BudRow
01-03-2009, 08:40 PM
Is it a fact now that Ebay only excepts PayPal as a method of payment?

Scrounger
01-03-2009, 08:48 PM
Is it a fact now that Ebay only excepts PayPal as a method of payment?

No, that's a lie. They suggest you use PayPal but the seller has the option to accept other payment if he chooses.

jameslovesjammie
01-04-2009, 04:17 AM
I watch ebay for deals, like moulds that are of a design I want and are discontinued, or just plain deals in general. But the old "more money than brains" deal comes up all the time. For example, I was watching a 4 cavity 356637 current production mould. The sprue plate is kinda beat up, and the guy "only cast about 1,000" boolits with it.

Right now, it's at 63.00 with $10 shipping and there's still 3 days left. Midway is selling the same mould right now for $81.00, and their shipping will be about the same. I am watching the mould just for the heck of it. I am willing to bet that when it ends, the price will be the same as a new one, and the guy will have a beat up sprue plate.

EDK
01-04-2009, 10:17 PM
I love watching mould sales on eBay....someone gets the "I ain't lettin' that SOB outbid me" syndrome and pays retail+ and exorbitant shipping to boot! AND less than mint condition for the crowning touch.

There are a couple of bids going on now, but neither of them will be the end of the world if I don't get them. I wonder if LYMAN/RCBS has anyone watching the forums and auctions for trends and what moulds need to be designed or re-issued.

:cbpour: :redneck: :Fire:

jhrosier
01-04-2009, 10:40 PM

You think it's wrong to 'fleece' people on a forum (where you are known) but you feel it's Ok to 'fleece' eBay because you can remain anonymous.

Now, maybe you didn't mean to say that you are a 'dishonest sneak thief' when conditions let you hide your identity. And, maybe you didn't intend to say that you are only 'a stand up guy' when lack of anonymity forces you to be.

But that's the way it sounds...
CM

Your read a lot more into my post than what it said.

What I did was to offer an item that I happened to already have, to a seller who had already expressed an interest in buying the same item for a price that was mutually agreeable. This was after the end of the auction when the potential buyer had not 'won' the item.
I don't see how any of that, other than beating evilbay out of their commision, could be construed as dishonest.

In the future, you might consider using a PM if you intend to call names.

Jack

JIMinPHX
01-05-2009, 01:39 AM
Shills?????

Down South
01-05-2009, 11:17 AM
Moulds that I’ve bid on in the past on Fle-Bay have always gone for more than they were worth. So of course I lost the bid on ever one that I’ve ever bided on. I’ve all but quit looking for moulds there and now look here and other forms or just buy new. I just bought a used mould here last week that I’ve been looking for, for a long time.

z4lunch
01-05-2009, 12:47 PM
Moulds that I’ve bid on in the past on Fle-Bay have always gone for more than they were worth. So of course I lost the bid on ever one that I’ve ever bided on. I’ve all but quit looking for moulds there and now look here and other forms or just buy new. I just bought a used mould here last week that I’ve been looking for, for a long time.

Steve here... I have been a feebayer since 01ish. Lately there have been a few molds I would like to buy. To be honest, I don't collect them I am buying them to make bullets, and have absolutley no idea what there worth. If it happens to be a mold that isn't made anymore, I really don't care what it costs to a point, but I'm not going to sweat over an extra $40 or so if I have to have it. Back in the day I paid $70 for an original owners manual for my 1938 JD B tractor, was that worth that kind of money? No but where are you going to find another one.
Ebay has made everthing command more money. Stihl chainsaws if they are new or like new dam near command retail. Vintage Hunter ceiling fans, WestBend kart parts, and chainsaws. All these items had been worth nothing before feebay's world market.
my 2cents
Steve

ihunts2much
01-05-2009, 08:13 PM
I am watching a Lee 500-360 minnie mould.Its bid up over 40.00 plus a generous amount for shipping. Where are these people when I am selling stuff?

Maven
01-05-2009, 08:38 PM
If you're looking for new or used molds at a reasonable price, try Bullet Lady (Victoria Gilbert) who sells on Auction Arms.

mold maker
01-05-2009, 08:47 PM
I've bid on quiet a few, but only won (bought) a few. There are a lot of folks that have no idea what they are worth. I'll bet most are never used. If you notice most sellers claim ignorance to cover the crap they sell.

z4lunch
01-05-2009, 08:53 PM
Steve here...ya know... it's so hit and miss with Ebay. just depends on the week. I have had good luck with most items but sometimes some of it is seasonal the stuff just doesn't do well. I know this is a bad word but i think taking papal helps cause its so easy. You don't have to go to the bank and get a money order and then head over to the post office.Don't get me wrong I am by no means a bleading heart febay promoter, i have had many a switchblade and gun part cancelled because it was against febay policy. I have just been very fortunate to buy and sell alot of stuf over the years that back in the day would have been thrown out.
I do have concerns of the shill bidding that may go on... Seems evertime I bid on something there is someone there with 5 or less feedback bidding against me.
Guns and gun parts I buy and sell end up on forums or Gunbroker.
my2cents

z4lunch
01-05-2009, 09:00 PM
I've bid on quiet a few, but only won (bought) a few. There are a lot of folks that have no idea what they are worth. I'll bet most are never used. If you notice most sellers claim ignorance to cover the crap they sell.

I'll get in that group... I used to cast twenty years ago, but have just recently got back into it. I have no idea what vintage molds are worth, or the diff between a good one from a bad one especially from some chezzy blurry pic. I'm just buying it to hopefully make good bullets.
I too noticed alot of the ebay seller have teribble pics and disclaim what they are selling.
steve

acsteve
01-06-2009, 07:11 AM
I too am confused about why people would bid more for a used item than it could be bought brand new from any number of online sourses. I understand the antique, obsolete or out of production mold going at a premium price.

Seafarer12
01-06-2009, 07:55 AM
I was watching a Lee custom 22 cal mold awhile back. That thing sold for 100 bucks. I wrote the guy and told him good job and that I had been interested in the mold untill it surpassed the price of a new Lyman. I only deal with ebay if I am selling something and want to get more than its worth. I just sold two Lee loaders on there yesterday I got in a trade and had no value to me. I got better than 40 bucks for them.

Maineboy
01-06-2009, 08:20 AM
I own over 60 moulds, 20 are Lees that I bought new. All the RCBS and Lyman moulds except for 3 were bought used at online auctions or at gunshops. Five or six years ago, you could still find good deals on Ebay but I haven't been very luck lately. The last few I bought were on Auction Arms and Gunbroker but the choices there are pretty limited.
I had been looking for a 50 caliber maxi-ball mould for a few months and just bought an unused TC version on Auction Arms for under $15.00. Similar used ones on Ebay usually run close to $50.00. If you have patience and shop around, there are deals to be found. Right now I'd like to find a 311008 for a decent price.

shotman
01-06-2009, 08:36 AM
Well someone got a good deal LBT with handles for $75 He was a better sniper Igot beat by one sec

TAWILDCATT
01-08-2009, 09:29 PM
unless its a good buy I would rather buy NEW LEE molds.
midsouthshooters gives 30% off list.so 6 cavity is $36.15 and 2 cavity is $ 18.06
and I dont have to wait.:coffee::shock: