PDA

View Full Version : Front driving band or not

sd5782
05-21-2021, 03:55 AM
I posted in single shot about a mold design I was looking at for a falling block single shot. I did a bit of research but didn’t find much info. For a single shot not needing a crimp groove, is it necessary or advisable to have a front driving band?

Some molds have a front section that is bore diameter which I was looking at. Kinda a simpler look. I have heard of the front shoulder acting as a scraper in some posts too. Any advice appreciated.

zarrinvz24
05-21-2021, 05:26 AM
It helps the bullet transition into the rifling without damaging the rear driving bands. Elmer Keith was a fan of a driving band outside the case because it helped to center the cartridge in the cylinder throat. For a single shot rifle this is unnecessary, but may be helpful to transition into the rifling.

tmanbuckhunter
05-21-2021, 02:15 PM
My BPCR silhouette bullet is sans front driving band, bore rider. Shoots great with no issues. A lot of designs out there period that don't have a front driving band, and they all do well.

sd5782
05-21-2021, 04:51 PM
Thanks, kinda what I thought too. I may try one without a front band. One design also had rounded lube grooves. No sharp bands and rounded lube grooves may even be easier to cast if everything isn’t perfect.

Green Frog
05-24-2021, 09:12 AM
I’d say bullet to bore fit is much more important than front band vs not. If you’re shooting black powder, the so-called “dirt scraper” front band may be helpful, but everything I “know” about that is hearsay.

Froggie

gwpercle
05-24-2021, 11:01 AM
What cartridge, load (black or smokeless powder) and rifle are you loading for ... some members may have experience they can share .
Gary

sd5782
05-24-2021, 02:54 PM
What cartridge, load (black or smokeless powder) and rifle are you loading for ... some members may have experience they can share .
Gary
Posted also in the single shot sub forum. Modern Winchester 1885 miroku reproduction in 38-55. Shooting smokeless and only had a Lyman 379248 to borrow. Bullets a bit undersized for my liking. Gun is .376”. Getting ready to order soon from Accurate Molds.
As a side note, I participated in a silhouette match Sunday and actually hit some steel at 200, 300, and 400 yards. Loads of fun but those shooters there are at a whole level or two above my Miroku.