PDA

View Full Version : You must be from the country

Wolfdog91
05-20-2021, 09:31 PM
Just sat down for my 15 and one of the new hires walked by and stopped ,back peddled ,looked me up and down and said " boy you must be from the country!" I have no clue who she was I say " Yeah howed you guess ?" She pointed at the table and said " look at your lunch " never thought this screamed country :-D

Finster101
05-20-2021, 09:35 PM
The only thing that might have put a bigger sign on you would be a piece of pickle dog "pickled baloney" instead of that can of sausage.

XDROB
05-20-2021, 09:36 PM
Or a camper!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Winger Ed.
05-20-2021, 09:39 PM
That's funny.

Next time tell 'em you also have a full set of red neck salad bowls in perfect condition at home.
None of the 'Cool Whip' labels have faded.

(Everything is good on a Ritz. Especially canned Sardines)

sparky45
05-20-2021, 09:45 PM
Mountain Dew and Spicy Hot Vienna Sausage; now that's a snack.

Handloader109
05-20-2021, 09:56 PM
Yep Boy, you be country....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

jdfoxinc
05-20-2021, 10:45 PM
Off brand Mtn. Lightening no less.

Idaho45guy
05-21-2021, 01:06 AM
I have some vienna sausage cans in my SUV as emergency food. Wouldn't eat them normally, however.

But I do love this stuff...

Three44s
05-21-2021, 02:25 AM
Yeah?

....... and that is why we like you so MUCH!

What a gas! LOL!

Three44s

LenH
05-21-2021, 07:48 AM
You didn't peal the lid back and drink the juice did you. I saw a guy do that on a jobsite once and wasn't hungry any more.

Gator 45/70
05-21-2021, 08:52 AM
More like a fisherman, Need potted meat or Beanie-weaners

Finster101
05-21-2021, 08:59 AM
More like a fisherman, Need potted meat or Beanie-weaners

Hey, Beanie-Weanies (beans and roadwheels) are pretty good when heated on your tank's heater or manifold depending on the time of year. You just have to make sure they are pointed in a safe direction before piercing the can with a P-38. Don't ask how I know!

shdwlkr
05-21-2021, 10:34 AM
deviled ham, slice of fresh cucumber and home made bread

EMC45
05-21-2021, 10:46 AM
I was gonna mention drinking the juice, but someone beat me to it.

JoeJames
05-21-2021, 10:47 AM
Or sardines in mustard sauce or hot sauce, and saltine crackers. Getting close to dinner, but also thinking of a thick liver cheese and mustard sandwich like I used to get at my cousin’s country store (the kind of store with a front porch, wood benches, and one gas pump).

Half Dog
05-21-2021, 10:52 AM
I too enjoy Vienna sausage but the dog and I are the only ones in my family who do.

slim1836
05-21-2021, 11:04 AM
I would have to be very thirsty before I drink the juice, however, my wife will drink the pickle juice on occasion. Both make me cringe.

Slim

gwpercle
05-21-2021, 11:54 AM
I'm a Louisiana Cajun and my daughter gave me a whole Case of Armour BBQ Vienna Sausage for my birthday present ... she heard me complaing how I couldn't find my favorite ...in the Bourbon BBQ Sauce at the local stores ... so she ordered a whole case over the inner net .
Does that make me a Country Boy Too ?
I know what I'm having for lunch today ... Wolfdog91 done went and flung a craving on me !!!
Eat them with crackers or Wonder Bread sandwich with lots of mayo and pour extra sauce on the sandwich .... gotta think on this !

Don't get me to thinking about the freshly sliced Liver Cheese I got from local Cajun Meat Market ...that stuff is so good ...even the white outer coating ...oooohhh !
Gary

Isaac
05-21-2021, 12:06 PM
Never tried Vienna Sausages. My mother fixed us many an Underwood Chicken spread and Potted Meat sandwiches for school lunches. I still enjoy carrying them with a loaf of bread and some grapes on road-trips.

Isaac

country gent
05-21-2021, 02:09 PM
Ring baloney on the small rye bread slices, deviled ham on ritz crackers, Peanut butter and crackers. also cheese and crackers

JoeJames
05-21-2021, 02:12 PM
I'm a Louisiana Cajun and my daughter gave me a whole Case of Armour BBQ Vienna Sausage for my birthday present ... she heard me complaing how I couldn't find my favorite ...in the Bourbon BBQ Sauce at the local stores ... so she ordered a whole case over the inner net .
Does that make me a Country Boy Too ?
I know what I'm having for lunch today ... Wolfdog91 done went and flung a craving on me !!!
Eat them with crackers or Wonder Bread sandwich with lots of mayo and pour extra sauce on the sandwich .... gotta think on this !

Don't get me to thinking about the freshly sliced Liver Cheese I got from local Cajun Meat Market ...that stuff is so good ...even the white outer coating ...oooohhh !
GaryForgot Vienners in BBQ sauce. Oh my!

Scrounge
05-21-2021, 02:20 PM
I have some vienna sausage cans in my SUV as emergency food. Wouldn't eat them normally, however.

But I do love this stuff...

Gotta have Vienna sausages for when we make macaroni and cheese. Or hot dogs will do.

Texas by God
05-21-2021, 02:46 PM
North Texas members may remember the radio character Willy Landum- Fishing Guide to the Stars; who referred to eating Vienna sausage as " Snacking with the gods".[emoji16]
I seem to only eat them in the deer blind nowadays- but I'm grateful for them.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Winger Ed.
05-21-2021, 02:55 PM
North Texas members may remember the radio character Willy Landum- Fishing Guide to the Stars; who referred to eating Vienna sausage as " Snacking with the gods".

He kept me from ever going to the power plant lake over there at the nuclear power station South-ish from Dallas.

He reported that the fly fishing was great there.
No size or weight limits, and you could quickly fill a stringer with 2-3 pound flies.

sharps4590
05-21-2021, 03:01 PM
And her point was?

Bloodman14
05-21-2021, 03:09 PM
I humped many a click in the Army on Vienna sausages and cheese crackers. Better than MRE's (three lies packaged as one). Whoever came up with the freeze-dried 'meat' patties needs to be beaten![smilie=b:

Mk42gunner
05-21-2021, 04:30 PM
We learned quick not to eat any of the MRE's that had any type of "meat" patty. Oddly enough the tuna casserole was pretty good with a bottle of tabasco stirred in, and a cheese packet if you had it.

Robert

Geezer in NH
05-21-2021, 05:21 PM
Gotta have Vienna sausages for when we make macaroni and cheese. Or hot dogs will do.Hot dogs cut up in our house! Mmmmm Gooood!

Finster101
05-21-2021, 06:25 PM
I humped many a click in the Army on Vienna sausages and cheese crackers. Better than MRE's (three lies packaged as one). Whoever came up with the freeze-dried 'meat' patties needs to be beaten![smilie=b:

I'm an old guy. We were still eating Korea era C-rats. Some were actually pretty good. Canned eggs however I'm pretty sure would fall in to the freeze dried meat category.

toallmy
05-21-2021, 07:00 PM
When I noticed the round crackers I knew you were eating fancy .

woodbutcher
05-21-2021, 07:17 PM
:D I like the Armour brand BBQ ones.One can to a sandwich.Mash slightly with a fork so they don`t"escape"when bitten.Pour the BBQ sauce over them.Pop a top on an adult beverage.And yum,yum.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

JoeJames
05-21-2021, 07:18 PM
MRE crackers and the peanut butter were pretty good.

Idaho45guy
05-21-2021, 07:45 PM
MRE crackers and the peanut butter were pretty good.

I actually developed a taste for the crackers and jalapeno cheese spread. Favorite desert was the pound cake. Favorite meal was the chili mac.

jim147
05-21-2021, 09:53 PM
That canned chocolate was not right.

jcren
05-21-2021, 10:34 PM
Where's the cheese?!?

Lloyd Smale
05-22-2021, 06:58 AM
make mine a bud a pack of ritz and a chunk of venison summer sausage!

Butzbach
05-22-2021, 07:38 AM
Or sardines in mustard sauce or hot sauce, and saltine crackers. Getting close to dinner, but also thinking of a thick liver cheese and mustard sandwich like I used to get at my cousin’s country store (the kind of store with a front porch, wood benches, and one gas pump).

Oooooo, I got the gout and I miss my liver. (ESP liverwurst!)

Butzbach
05-22-2021, 07:39 AM
I actually developed a taste for the crackers and jalapeno cheese spread. Favorite desert was the pound cake. Favorite meal was the chili mac.

Pound cake soaked in peach �� juice.

dg31872
05-22-2021, 08:16 AM
I would have said that I am from the country and proud of it!!

Thumbcocker
05-22-2021, 09:31 AM
Let them laugh.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210522/aec6b26399848da3065e59ee1c7e128d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

jonp
05-22-2021, 12:43 PM
Could have been Potted Meat. If you went high class you put it on Triscuts.

jonp
05-22-2021, 12:45 PM

Whoever invented that evil squeeze cheese in the packet needs a firing squad.

First deployment, first letter home. " Send Tabasco". Powdered eggs and fried spam was downright tasty with enough hot sauce

beemer
05-22-2021, 01:14 PM
Don't care for Vienna sausage or pooted meat but have a can relabled as Potted Possum. Cornbread and milk with spring onions also be qualified redneck food. Do love sardines in mustard and crackers, think I'll eat a can for lunch.

My Grandma liked sardines in oil with chopped onion on top, wasn't a problem till later when we had to run for cover. She was a real character, raised in the mountains of NC, a true redneck raised hard scrabble and dirt poor. She really tried to do better but it did show through every little bit.

Enjoy your lunch

WRideout
05-22-2021, 02:13 PM

Dried meat patty = track pad

Wayne

WRideout
05-22-2021, 02:15 PM
When I worked in TN and hunted squirrel a lot, I once took a big pot of squirrel and rabbit gumbo to work to feed my co-workers. I get five bonus redneck points for that one.

Wayne

trapper9260
05-22-2021, 02:34 PM
One time where I was working I had brought some fried muskrat to work for my lunch and the looks I got when I warm it up in the microwave, some complain and I said you want to try it after they found out said no. Then one guy came in for lunch and smell it and ask what it is , I said you want to try it first he said sure so I gave him some and then the others look at him and he said what is it . I told him and then he ask for more .

Winger Ed.
05-22-2021, 02:39 PM
One time where I was working I had brought some fried muskrat to work for my lunch and the looks I got

I sometimes try different things I'd never had before.
Once I got a couple of beef tongues, and read up on how to cook them.

I took one to work for lunch, and asked one of the kids if he wanted to try it.
He did, and took a bite. After a bit of chewing he said, "Its pretty good. What it it"?

I told him,,,,,,,,,,,, and he promptly unloaded it right on the floor.

dale2242
05-22-2021, 03:39 PM
I asked a feller if he would like to try a tongue sandwich.
He says "I would never eat anything that came out of a cows mouth".
" I would like one of your eggs"

samari46
05-23-2021, 12:11 AM
My wife is originally from Louisiana. At the time her mom and pop were living in NYC. showed up one day and great smells from the kitchen. Dad was making racoon stew. Little heavy with some spices though. We all had a trailers in Pa. and every time I saw a racoon all I could think of was Dinner. And they had some huge ones in PA. Vienna sausage on hogaie rolls with mayo and non sweetened ice tea yum. Kipper or sardines on rolls. Frank

Walks
05-23-2021, 12:48 AM
Sardines in oil on saltines, with a big slice of EXTRA Sharp Cheddar and a handful of garlic stuffed green olives.
Washed down with Root Beer.

Or Canned Ham spread on fresh rye with hot German mustard and a slice of sweet onion.
Or substitute Liver sausage for the spread.

Rapier
05-24-2021, 05:45 PM
Not to many city folks liked ham and lima beans in Cs but I figured they were more like real food. I could get them, no trade, at all times. I did not smoke, but at 6’1” I did eat, so I would trade cigs for groceries. I carried a P-38 on my key ring, an HE grenade pull ring. Used an exhaust manifold many times to heat Cs.

Alstep
05-24-2021, 08:07 PM
Neighbor made up a big jar of pickled heart. Was that ever tasty!

Wolfdog91
05-24-2021, 08:18 PM

I could never get with potted meat , has a real gritty feel to it I hate lol.

WRideout
05-24-2021, 08:34 PM
My mother always fed us as if we were going to work on the farm; beans and cornbread, fried chicken, etc. We were actually Southern California city people. I still eat that stuff. Years later, I moved from CA to TN for work. A couple of months into my new job, I was eating lunch at my desk when a technician I knew walked by. He stared in amazement and said "Beans and cornbread are supposed to be Southern."

In another conversation, I asked him what he likes to do for fun. He said "Mountain biking and wind-surfing. What do you like to do?" I replied "I like to hunt and fish." We just looked at each other for a few minutes, wondering how this role-reversal happened.

Wayne

Three44s
05-24-2021, 08:45 PM
I will take my share and anyone else’s who do want theirs of beef tongue any day!

Yummy stuff!

Three44s

Gator 45/70
05-24-2021, 08:50 PM
I'm still trying to figure out what is a redneck gumbo, Does it have tomatoes in it?

Gary?

Jniedbalski
05-24-2021, 09:29 PM
I like my Vienna sausages cooked in bbq sauce untill the sauce gets nice and thick. Also a dash or two of hot sauce is good.

gwpercle
05-25-2021, 10:10 AM

Let me warn you ... Do Not try Armour BBQ Flavored Potted Meat ... It sounded like a good idea ... It Isn't , the stuff is weird tasting ... I didn't like it and I enjoy potted meat .
Just a warning ... But it would be good to load up on a cracker and tell your friends ...here ...taste this ... it's terrible ! You know they gonna try it .
Gary

Loudenboomer
05-25-2021, 01:51 PM
Country boys eat SPAM too...
Getting back to c rat pound cake. Soaking that stuff in peach juice sounds like a good idea. C rat pound cake was about as dense as a hockey puck! :)

shooterg
05-25-2021, 06:15 PM

+1 on sardines and crackers . One restaurant nearby has sardines on the salad bar - great in the salad with thousand islands !

bayjoe
05-25-2021, 06:23 PM
Not a single mention of brown beans, corn bread and pickled pigs feet

gwpercle
05-26-2021, 01:54 PM
Just sat down for my 15 and one of the new hires walked by and stopped ,back peddled ,looked me up and down and said " boy you must be from the country!" I have no clue who she was I say " Yeah howed you guess ?" She pointed at the table and said " look at your lunch " never thought this screamed country :-D

But you is "High Class" Country ... Paper plate & round crackers (Ritz) ... but the Mountain Lighting soda water (soft drink) gives you all away ...
that screams Red Neck Country !

Very nice presentation and food photo !

Cajun ... just a Red Neck with a funny accent !
Gary