PDA

View Full Version : Bug guards.

Idaho45guy
05-19-2021, 03:44 AM
Remember when these came out in the `80's??

They were advertised to protect your hood and windshield from damage from bugs and rocks. They were big, and obtrusive, but they worked...

Today's bug shields are a joke. They look nice, and are sleeker, but they just don't work. Kind of a reflection of today's reality... I bought this highly rated bug and rock shield before a road trip and was rewarded with a rock chip immediately. But... It looks cool and it made me feel good. Too bad the reality was that it did not offer any protection or actual benefit for money spent. This is where we are as a society. Only feelings and impressions matter. Utility and reality are moot points.

gwpercle
05-19-2021, 09:46 AM
Anything that worked really well in the 80's ... has now been modified to fix that !

Cambell's Tomato Soup ... used to taste so GOOD in the 80's ... now it taste like muddy water tinted red . Don't companies taste products any more ... never buy another can !
Ain't nothing made like it was .
Gary

Minerat
05-19-2021, 10:31 AM
The new designs are to protect the hood not the windshield. For the first time since 1979 I did not add one to my new truck. Don't miss it as the new designs just disrupt the air so your wipers don't work right.

snowwolfe
05-21-2021, 06:09 PM
If you want to protect the paint on the hood have a shop install PPF.

snowwolfe
05-21-2021, 06:10 PM
Remember when these came out in the `80's??

They were advertised to protect your hood and windshield from damage from bugs and rocks. They were big, and obtrusive, but they worked...

Today's bug shields are a joke. They look nice, and are sleeker, but they just don't work. Kind of a reflection of today's reality... I bought this highly rated bug and rock shield before a road trip and was rewarded with a rock chip immediately. But... It looks cool and it made me feel good. Too bad the reality was that it did not offer any protection or actual benefit for money spent. This is where we are as a society. Only feelings and impressions matter. Utility and reality are moot points.

Hard question to answer. Yes, you got a rock chip. But how many might of you got without the deflector?

Mk42gunner
05-21-2021, 08:19 PM
The form fitting ones for new trucks seem to deflect the bugs right into my sightline when they splatter on the windshield.

I don't buy them anymore. If one is on the truck I leave it until I see how it does.

Robert

James Wisner
05-21-2021, 09:45 PM
I recall one trip into Northern CA in the mid 1990's, I was coming westbound on Hwy 36 right at dusk, and the bug guard caught a bat. WOW it wiped out a quarter of the bug guard and the bat remains hit the wind shield.

Yes those older big guards did work well
J Wisner