PDA

View Full Version : How to tell Hi-Point Carbine/C9 magazines Apart?

VariableRecall
05-19-2021, 12:30 AM
I had received some 8 round Hi-Point carbine Magazines from a fellow Gunloads user, but I had realized that they weren't recommended for C9 use. In the end, I've come to the realization that there may come a time when my original C9 8 round magazine and the carbine magazines may get mixed up.

I've noticed on the 10-rounder C9 magazine that they have a label "2 2019" underneath the bottom plate. The Carbine magazines have "6 2016". My guess is that those are month stamps, but I'd rather not leave it up to chance if my 8 rounder gets mixed up with the carbine magazines.

From when I contacted Strassel, they had said that the cartridges are presented at a different angle than the C9 magazines, but that would likely be too subtle to recognize of the bat.

Mr_Sheesh
05-19-2021, 01:31 AM
Could use a paint dot or stripe, a wrap of colored or textured tape, a label, engraving, lots of ways to mark things :)

Also could try to load 10 rounds if they get mixed, to figure out which is which

VariableRecall
05-19-2021, 04:02 AM
Could use a paint dot or stripe, a wrap of colored or textured tape, a label, engraving, lots of ways to mark things :)

Also could try to load 10 rounds if they get mixed, to figure out which is which

The Hi-Point C9's magazines look quite different from each other from 8 and 10 rounders. There's a large "butt" of sorts on the 10 rounders. Since they are single stack magazines, there isn't much in the way of space efficiency.

My planned solution is to put some painter's tape on the carbine magazines labeling them as such.

GhostHawk
05-19-2021, 08:03 AM
Carbine mags are longer and won't lock into the pistol. Mag catch is in a different place.

I used to worry about that but then picked up a couple more pistol mags. Keep them separate from the carbine mags.

Bought a medium sized black pistol case and did a little carving on the eggshell foam. So 2 mags are there in plain sight. Third is in the pistol.

para45lda
05-19-2021, 08:08 AM
If the baseplates are metal, punch/stamp on the baseplate.

If the baseplate is plastic heat up a nail and put a dot on it.

Just a thought. May even have some tactile use in the dark.

Wes

VariableRecall
05-19-2021, 04:08 PM
I'm keeping the Carbine mags handy in a place far from the C9 magazines, currently labeled "CARBINE MAGS". So, hopefully no mixup would occur, and if someone's hurting for carbine mags in my local area, I'd be happy to help them out.