PDA

View Full Version : ukrainian sight

Bullshop
01-02-2009, 06:06 PM
Does anyone know where I can get a sight base for the Ukrainian long range tang sight. I have the Parts Unkown delux sight on a roller and would like to get a base for the current Win 1885 BPCR.
The problem I am having with the 50/90 is that the Browning sight from my Browning 1885 45/70 BPCR at the lowest setting is still a foot high at 100 with BP or BP velocity loads. I have to get velocities up to about 1800 fps to bring POI down to zero at 100 yards. When shooting 600gn boolits at 1800 fps with that steel but it can become distracting after a bit. The Ukrainian sight will go lower than the Browning sight so I would like to try that if I can find a base. Buffalo arms is in sad shape right now on the Ukrainian sights and parts.
BIC/BS

Dale53
01-02-2009, 06:41 PM
Bullshop;
Here is the contact information for "Parts Unknown". Sergio, the owner, is a fine man and good to deal with. I don't know how current this information is but let us know if it is current or not:

http://www.columbiaprecision.com/FrontSight.htm

Open the site then scroll down the page. I have several of these sights and not only are the excellent sights, Parts Unknown service is excellent. If he has a base he'll sell it to you direct. I have heard that a lot of his items are back ordered (things in Russia are not so hot these days).

Good luck,
Dale53

Boz330
01-03-2009, 12:33 PM
Dan, can you get a higher front sight for the gun, that would lower the point of impact. I had a similar problem with a Swedish Roller. Big problem now is I can't get a good cheek weld though. I'm going to rectify that problem by redoing the whole rifle to 40-65 and a Treebone higher comb stock.
I think that Parts Unknown does carry the extra bases though.

Bob

Bullshop
01-03-2009, 01:39 PM
Dale
That link is no longer current. Tina found a phone # but could only get a machine. She left a message but no return yet.
Buffalo Arms just says sorry they cant get Ukrain stuff right now.
Boz330
I guess that is a possibility BUT!!! There is always a but aint there. I was hopeing to not have to mess with the front. I really do try to avoid changing dovetail sights with the typ pusher I have, HAMMER! It has the Browning front with spirate level and I like the sight but am afraid to push (hammer) it.
Yesterday I took the Ukrain sight base off my roller and low and behold the hole spacing is the same. I was able to reverce the base so the staff pivit is to the rear and with that arrangment the sight goes low enough to see down the bore. That should be low enough. I actually like the Parts Unknown sight better than the Browning sight anyway.
Still didnt seem as good a deal as getting a new sight though. I had Tina accepting the idea of a new sight being needed too. If I can get her to hold that thought I may see how she reacts to the Baldwin sight (price) line. They are nice and stout but way expensive. I may need to move while there is some residual Christmas spirate still floating about.
Hope to try the new sight arrangment today God willing but with the temp at -44 it takes most of the fun out. Only shortfall with this arrangment is I have to lay my thumb along side the sight and not over the tang. OK I kin do that.
BIC/BS

Boz330
01-03-2009, 03:22 PM
You mean there is something besides a HAMMER??????
I like the Ukraine sights as well. You might take a look at the Shaver Soule, I think it is just a few more dollars, but I think he is back logged as well.
When we ordered from Parts Unknown it took a while for him to get back to us IIRC. I don't think that is his REAL job.

Bob

waksupi
01-03-2009, 04:26 PM
This reminds me of selling a rifle with Parts Unknown sights on it. The buyer asks, what kind of sights does it have? I say, Parts Unknown. He says, you don't know who made it? I says, Yes, parts Unknown. It degenerated into a true "Who's on first?", and went downhill from there. He didn't buy the rifle.

Red River Rick
01-03-2009, 04:44 PM
Parts Unknown, Inc. is located here in my home town. Usually he's at the local gunshows, but I haven't seen him at the last few. I'm assuming that there may be a supply problem with parts, but I can's say for sure. Ukraine's economic conditions are not the best right now and may have alot to do with it. I have a "Parts Unknown" sight on my 45-90 Pedersoli Competition, they are well made.

RRR

montana_charlie
01-03-2009, 11:20 PM
Still didnt seem as good a deal as getting a new sight though. I had Tina accepting the idea of a new sight being needed too. If I can get her to hold that thought...
Maybe you can find a low priced sight...with a new rifle attatched to it.

I have a "Parts Unknown" sight on my 45-90 Pedersoli Competition, they are well made.It has a Shaver sight on it, but my 45/90 Pedersoli has a 'parts unknown' shooter behind it.

CM

AkMike
01-05-2009, 12:11 PM
Dan' if you can find a Ukrainian address for the sights, I'm headed over there next month. I might be able to pick some up. I''ll be in Kiev and points south.
I tried to find out where they were mfgd. at several years ago but didn't. Maybe you can.

Bullshop
01-05-2009, 02:44 PM
I wouldnt know hwere to start looking. If you happen to stumble into the place and they are substancially cheaper than here I will surely cover you for a couple.
BIC/BS

AkMike
01-05-2009, 04:40 PM
The problem is that country is about the size of Montana.. Not too big but it's kind`a hard to get around. I wasn't able tofind which city or an address. I'd love to get a few for me too.
I know they'd be alot cheaper there. Probably in the area of $40-50 max. And cash works wonders. They are sure to dicker on the price.

MtGun44
01-08-2009, 03:18 AM
Same here. Going to Ukraine on business late Feb. If anybody knows the source,
I'll try to get some if possible. A guy there 'owes me one'.

Bill

AkMike
01-08-2009, 03:50 AM
I'll be there from Mid Feb thru Mar 5.. Kiev south to Cherkassy then to Crimea and later to Kazakhstan for a couple of days..

IF thye restore the GAS for heatin the country.

waksupi
01-08-2009, 12:00 PM
It is good to have friends in Russia. A friend from Canada, is an oil refinery engineer, and was over there a few years ago. There was a commissar assigned to them, and they got along well. One weekend, they mentioned they would like to go ice fishing, so it was set up, that they would be taken to a lake early the next morning.
They got set up for fishing, and there were other fishermen on the ice. The other people were catching fish, but the Canadians apparently couldn't speak fish in Russian, and were having no luck.
Late in the morning, they heard a helicopter approaching. It landed on the ice a short distance away from them ,and the commissar got out, along with several machine gun bearing guards.
He went to the Canadians, and asked if they were having any luck? They said they were having fun, but no fish.
The commissar barked some orders at the guards, who immediately went to the other fishermen on the ice, and collected thier fish. They carried them to my friend, and made a pile at his feet.
The commissar said, Now, you have fish.

AkMike
01-08-2009, 05:14 PM
That Commisionar doesn't know the differance between 'fishing' and 'Catching'.
He's into catching by what ever means neccesary!

MtGun44
01-08-2009, 10:34 PM
AKMike,

I'll be at the Dnipro Hotel Feb 23rd in Kiev. Maybe dinner if business doesn't
interfere and they have gas on.

Bill

AkMike
01-08-2009, 10:46 PM
We'll have to see what happens. The news sounds good for gas transit to Europe now. The next few days should tell the story.. Russia wants to charge full price now and Ukraine wants increased tranist tarrifs... The gas was $179 per last year and now they want $450 per.

Talk about a price increase!

jim4065
01-09-2009, 01:30 PM
I'd sure like to have a decent tang sight for the H&R 38-55 "Target". The one mounted on the barrel ain't worth much.

McLintock
01-09-2009, 02:03 PM
Boz330,
Before you go to the trouble and expense of re-stocking your roller, you might try the strap on check pads from Brownell's. They come in several different heights so you can get one pretty close. I've got one on both my C. Sharps with MVA scope and my new roller with a normal Trebone roller stock on it. Seem to work pretty well and stay put for a decent cheek weld.
McLintock