PDA

View Full Version : More SMLE questions

0verkill
05-18-2021, 10:26 PM
I'm rebuilding a couple SMLE's. I'd really like to scope one but-
A) It has to still take clips
B) It can't be a scout

That leaves me with an offset side mount. These are parts guns, but I'd still like to make as few modifications as possible. Any suggestions?

Bigslug
05-18-2021, 10:40 PM
Forgotten Weapons has a YouTube vid titled WW1 SMLE Sniper. Might give you some ideas. You could conceivably use the ejector and safety mount holes as possible anchor points.

cwtebay
05-18-2021, 10:43 PM
There are "tip off" mounts. I've seen them for rimfire rifles, surely they can be made for a SMLE.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

0verkill
05-18-2021, 11:53 PM
Forgotten Weapons has a YouTube vid titled WW1 SMLE Sniper. Might give you some ideas. You could conceivably use the ejector and safety mount holes as possible anchor points.

I like that idea, except for the youtube part. I'm gonna check it out though and measure the holes on the receiver.

Gotta take a closer look at tip off mounts and rings. Pap's old Remington Target Master is sitting on the wall right across from me and I didn't even think to look for them, too busy overcomplicating it looking up Mosin mounts.

cwtebay
05-18-2021, 11:55 PM
I like that idea, except for the youtube part. I'm gonna check it out though and measure the holes on the receiver.

Gotta take a closer look at tip off mounts and rings. Pap's old Remington Target Master is sitting on the wall right across from me and I didn't even think to look for them, too busy overcomplicating it looking up Mosin mounts.It's actually "Forgottenweapons.com".
Saves you your YouTube problems.

samari46
05-19-2021, 12:25 AM
Check out Bad Ace Tactical for scope mounts for your smle. I got one for my Long Branch/Parker Hale sporter. Frank

0verkill
05-19-2021, 02:14 AM
Couldn't find one for the SMLE at bad ace and the ones the had were all centerline and wouldn't let me use clips.

MOC031
05-19-2021, 02:59 AM
B) It can't be a scout

That leaves me with an offset side mount. These are parts guns, but I'd still like to make as few modifications as possible. Any suggestions?

I'm not sure, but I think some of the earliest sniper varients for the SMLE had side mounts. Assuming that's true, if you actually find one for sale, it will probably have a price tag well into the hundreds.

The place to ask your question and look for ideas and help is over at the Milsurps forum. If there's something out there that isn't a one-off, some of those guys will know all about it.

30calflash
05-19-2021, 09:36 AM
You could make one such as this: https://303british.com/the-indestructible-scope-mount-for-lee-enfield-rifles/

Instead of the top over the action have it set off to the side. You still retain clip loading.

Only other option, if it was made, would be a pivot mount like a weaver. Have to look at old ads and sales to find one I believe.

Cargo
05-19-2021, 09:57 AM
Repro T pads and mount. It's a little more expensive and you'll need holes drilled and tapped but it will cover your criteria and give you a qd mount as well.

0verkill
05-19-2021, 06:55 PM
I only found t pads for the No4 MkI unless I looked in the wrong places. Never got that one to shoot good with anything but jacketed so it doesn't get shot much, If I scoped it I'd do it like that though. Still looking for the tip offs and lots more research to do.

Texas by God
05-19-2021, 08:05 PM
Williams Co. probably knows how to scope a Smelly. Aluminum, though.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Adam Helmer
05-20-2021, 02:36 PM
B) It can't be a scout

Overkill,

WHY does your scoped SMLE "Need" to take clips? Why not a spare 10-round magazine and then mount a scope ,low over bore and be done with it?

Adam

0verkill
05-20-2021, 03:41 PM
Because I want it to, and can't you read and because " IT HAS TO STILL TAKE CLIPS", that's the rules, I just follow 'em. If it comes down to it I can live with iron sights, can't live without my clips. If I wanted something to swap magazines I'd get a Mossberg or a Savage. Probably somebody out there has even converted a Savage to 303. Personally I think it's atrocious to cut off or cover up the clip guide on a bolt action, or semi's in the case of M1As. Got a Mauser I'm going to put a scout mount on if I can ever settle on an optic. Still thinking of ideas for the SMLE too. Couldn't find anything from Williams or Weaver specifically for my rifle. May find an old cheap Weaver and see what can be done with shims and grinding. Hope that answer was suitable and more civilized than my standard FYTW answer.

cwtebay
05-20-2021, 08:54 PM
Wow! Alrighty, best of luck to ya.

leebuilder
05-21-2021, 07:02 AM
Good luck.

Adam Helmer
05-21-2021, 04:51 PM
Because I want it to, and can't you read and because " IT HAS TO STILL TAKE CLIPS", that's the rules, I just follow 'em. If it comes down to it I can live with iron sights, can't live without my clips. If I wanted something to swap magazines I'd get a Mossberg or a Savage. Probably somebody out there has even converted a Savage to 303. Personally I think it's atrocious to cut off or cover up the clip guide on a bolt action, or semi's in the case of M1As. Got a Mauser I'm going to put a scout mount on if I can ever settle on an optic. Still thinking of ideas for the SMLE too. Couldn't find anything from Williams or Weaver specifically for my rifle. May find an old cheap Weaver and see what can be done with shims and grinding. Hope that answer was suitable and more civilized than my standard FYTW answer.

Overkill,

My apologies, I was NOT aware your SMLE had to take clips. You missed that clarification early on. Please explain why clips are necessary? Who or what are you shooting?

Best of luck.

Adam

Bigslug
05-22-2021, 12:04 AM
I guess 0verkill and I are the only charger-loading purists.

SMLE's are FAST; it's fun to run "Mad Minute" drills with them; and it is much faster to reload a bolt gun with chargers than those silly PITA detachable box thingies. . .and if his eyes are turning into fossils like mine are, the ability to do all of that with optics might be nice.

MOC031
05-22-2021, 11:07 AM
I guess 0verkill and I are the only charger-loading purists.

I'm not a purist, but magazine chargers are both a super convenient way to store and carry ammunition, as well as faster and less fumbling for loading a Lee Enfield versus swapping out the magazines. Particularly if you shoot your Lee Enfield in assorted military style/service rifle matches.

Presuming that cast bullet shooting with Lee Enfields is probably going to be 200 yards and less for repetitive strings of shots, a small red dot sight should be more than adequate at 200 yards and less, particularly one with a 1 or MOA dot. It wouldn't look any more out of place than a modern scope in something like an S&K no-gunsmithing mount.

You would have to figure out how to make a mount that uses the rear sight mounting locations, but after that using the charger would be no issue whatsoever.

Cargo
05-22-2021, 11:35 AM
SMLE's are FAST; it's fun to run "Mad Minute" drills with them

The most fun you can have with your clothes on.

0verkill
05-22-2021, 03:48 PM
Thanks for all the ideas and help from those that actually read the criteria and put forth actual ideas rather than, well what that one guy keeps saying. Got an idea of what I'm going to try to do, a scout mount is the backup for if and when I fail at my attempt.

Texas by God
05-22-2021, 04:43 PM
I reversed the base plate on a rough old Weaver side mount for a Stevens 325/ Savage 340 to see if it's doable. Held it up to my rough old SMLE and with filing, fitting, drilling and tapping it could work. You would probably have to put the scope windage turret on top for more room and modify the front base screw also.
Just another thought. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210522/f7377fdbd9933df6565965126a0aeacb.jpg

0verkill
05-22-2021, 10:31 PM
That works by God! I've got a couple of these and one of the stocks has a large chunk missing at the back of the left side. I can cut the chunk out square and have more room to mount whatever plate to.

Texas by God
05-23-2021, 09:46 AM
Good deal. If you want this old Weaver mount, holler. I have no use for it. Here's another veiw; the .50AE round is holding it down for the pic.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210523/5160b18bbb2f0d50cc282a81271cf1e6.jpg