PDA

View Full Version : Let’s get this debate started!

Darth-Vaj
05-18-2021, 07:38 PM
A possible bags is a purse! Change my mind. :lol:

jdfoxinc
05-18-2021, 08:00 PM
Upon reflection, .... I cant'.

Scrounge
05-18-2021, 08:01 PM

I want to see video of you walking up to a buckskinner or mountain man reenactor and saying that to them. ;)

Duckdog
05-18-2021, 08:19 PM
You can wear a fanny pack if you wish. Is that more your style? :redneck:

bimus
05-18-2021, 08:57 PM
It is only a purse if it has a cell phone in it . I carry my gear in a gallon plastic bag when hunting or hiking in a pack .

GARD72977
05-18-2021, 09:13 PM
I bought high quality bag. When my girlfriend seen it she said "Nice purse"

sharps4590
05-18-2021, 09:35 PM
A possibles bag isn't a purse, it's more like a satchel or container for things other than those related to shooting the rifle. It carried your "possibles." Extra clothing, extra lead maybe, stuff you unpacked when you made camp or got to the fort.. A shooting pouch or bag could be favorably compared to a purse but it's still a shooting bag/pouch. Every time I made one my wife commented, "making another purse?" You can call them a purse if it makes you feel good. They'll always be a shooting pouch to me.

Goofy
05-18-2021, 10:22 PM
Depending where you wind up in the afterlife you might get to debate that with Crockett, Boone or maybe Hugh Glass. Good luck, you might need it.

GhostHawk
05-18-2021, 10:23 PM
From my own personal experience.

A Purses are at least 50% of the time black, may be made from a wide range of materials. Have several zippers, buttons, snaps or velcro closures. My wifes current black purse is artificial leather, and has at least 6 zippers.

B Possibles bags are leather, normally a natural tan to possible almost white deerskin. I've yet to see one in black.
Have no zippers, snaps, might have a single button or toggle. Not subdevided inside, single bag with a single flap to hold things inside. Now the strap may have attachment points for commonly used items.

Its like the difference between a teenage girl and a mountain man.

You want to walk up to him and accuse him of carrying a purse, feel free. Me I'd rather live a few more years.

THEY are NOT the same.

dverna
05-18-2021, 10:32 PM
If you use a real rifle, you do not need either a purse or possibles pouch.

BTW, guys like Crockett, Boone, et al would laugh at folks using arcane technology when better options are available.

Playing Mountain Man might be fun, but those guys would think you are nuts.

bgmkithaca
05-18-2021, 10:34 PM
Call me what you will but myself and a cousin have called our bags a purse for well past 50 years. Some of the other muzzle loader fans of my acquaintance us the same term

Gtek
05-18-2021, 10:37 PM
I think I would only see it as a problem if you had many enabling one to accessorize to the event and matching to the correct tone of buckskin. Then felt the need to discuss choice with shooting buddies! Or let us watch as one digs through it for five minutes in line saying "I know it's in here". Think about the Mrs. purse and shoe collection, really, no comparison.

megasupermagnum
05-19-2021, 01:48 AM
A possibles bag certainly could be a purse. A purse is not a bag, it is how you use a bag.

megasupermagnum
05-19-2021, 01:57 AM
If you use a real rifle, you do not need either a purse or possibles pouch.

BTW, guys like Crockett, Boone, et al would laugh at folks using arcane technology when better options are available.

Playing Mountain Man might be fun, but those guys would think you are nuts.

How about Seth Kinman?

Also, when hunting with a shooting pouch, I don't wear a backpack. It's not so much a need, as it is a better way to do the same thing.

M-Tecs
05-19-2021, 02:47 AM

And your point is?????

https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles/venturing-out-vintage-style-your-great-grandpas-daypacks/

The Possibles Bag
A men hunting in woods with rifles illustration.
In the 18th and 19th centuries, mountain men, minutemen, frontiersmen, and black powder hunters of all kinds would usually be found with two bags slung across their shoulders: their powder horn and their “possibles bag.” It was so-named either because it contained everything you might possibly need for the day, or because you could possibly find most anything packed in the bag.

For "the day" is the part most miss today. Things not needed for the day were on the pack horse, boat, wagon or left back at the cabin. Where do you think the idea for a purses came from?

https://softtracks.wordpress.com/2017/01/16/understanding-the-mountain-man-possibles-bag/

Understanding the Mountain Man Possibles Bag

The mountain man possibles bag was an essential piece of equipment those mountain adventurers simply could not live without.

A purse is a possible bags! Change my mind. :lol:

Sasquatch-1
05-19-2021, 07:23 AM
I would say purse pretty well sums it up. My wife carries everything she may POSSIBLY need during the day in hers.

I actually looked at some purses on amazon that would have made great possible's bags.

sghart3578
05-19-2021, 07:29 AM
My possibles bags is actually a purse? The next thing you're going to tell me is that my kilt is actually a skirt.

Steve in N CA

William Yanda
05-19-2021, 07:33 AM
Me, get involved in this discussion? What do you think I am, stupid?

toot
05-19-2021, 08:17 AM
who would want to be caught in the woods with a MAN PURSE? not me. just think what would happed if A MALE BIG FOOT caught you?? ban the thought!!!

rfd
05-19-2021, 08:51 AM
I don't care.

Battis
05-19-2021, 08:53 AM
Is salmon a fish or a color?

MrWolf
05-19-2021, 09:18 AM
Dribble some blood on it. Makes it manly:groner:

mooman76
05-19-2021, 09:38 AM

No, a purse is a possibles bag. Another forum I go to argued whether or not is was actually called a possibles (bag) or not, to be pc.

shaggybull
05-19-2021, 09:47 AM
How about a Highlanders Sporran?

dondiego
05-19-2021, 10:49 AM
A purse is for carrying money..........

RU shooter
05-19-2021, 12:57 PM
A purse is for carrying money..........
Not my wifes purse ! Lol guess that's why she always asks me for money when we're out .

But back to the topic . Don't matter what is is or what it looks like if it holds the items you need to make your gun go bang and get it semi clean again . How about we just call it shoulder bag :) and BTW mine actually was /is a woman's purse it it former life , grayish color heavy canvas one small outside front pocket to hold the round balls . Heavy zipper top one small inside pocket that hold the patches and the rest goes in the main pouch cost me a buck at good will functional and not at all girlie looking but I don't look like a mountain man either . Works for me

LAGS
05-19-2021, 01:37 PM
A Purse is for money.
My wife Doesn't carry a purse at all.
Guess that is why I pay for everything.

gwpercle
05-19-2021, 02:53 PM
Made of suede leather ...with some Indian beadwork and leather fringe ...
... a very stylish ... purse for possibilities !
Gary

Hickok
05-19-2021, 05:50 PM
It's a haversack!

Shawlerbrook
05-19-2021, 06:17 PM
Whatever you call it, a muzzleloader is just a cool looking tomato stake without the contents.

bedbugbilly
05-19-2021, 06:39 PM
A purse was originally a bag used to carry - and as a result, the term is often used to refer to a monetary prize - such as the winner's prize in a horse race.

So . . . . I guess if you want to call my possibles bag a purse . . . go right ahead as I'll be the one with the money . . . not you!

And . . . . if you call a Scotsman's possibles bag a purse while he is wearing a kilt . . . . beware if he wants to give you a hug . . . he will most likely have a dirk in his hand!

brewer12345
05-19-2021, 08:02 PM
Eh, I prefer a belt pouch anyway. When I am hunting with a ML, everything is in a smallish pouch and I even have a small horn (probably meant to be a priming horn) that holds 5 or 6 ounces of 3F and hangs off the belt pouch. Much less fuss than something over your shoulder, which is where I generally have a canteen anyway.

indian joe
05-19-2021, 09:18 PM

no! purse is carried in the hand - bag with a shoulder strap aint a purse its a shoulder bag

indian joe
05-19-2021, 09:19 PM
I want to see video of you walking up to a buckskinner or mountain man reenactor and saying that to them. ;)

yeah me too

megasupermagnum
05-20-2021, 01:33 AM
Eh, I prefer a belt pouch anyway. When I am hunting with a ML, everything is in a smallish pouch and I even have a small horn (probably meant to be a priming horn) that holds 5 or 6 ounces of 3F and hangs off the belt pouch. Much less fuss than something over your shoulder, which is where I generally have a canteen anyway.

The thing I don't like about a belt bag, or a fanny pack, is now you have something in the way of sitting. If you put it in front, your gut gets in the way, making a long sit uncomfortable. If you put it in the back, you can't really sit. You could put it on the side, but now you have to give up either a handgun or knife, or something else.

A shooting bag for me is the same as a box of ammunition. You grab it, it doesn't effect anything else, it has what you need to shoot. You can wear it on either side, but preferably on the oposite side as your pistol. You can still easily get your belt knife out from behind it though. The bag doesn't get in the way of anything, mines just big enough for a sandwich and some snacks too. When I sit it doesn't matter, or I could easily just set it aside.

I am looking for a smaller horn, maybe just a little bigger than that.

toot
05-20-2021, 09:21 AM
me too!!.it won't take Long!

toot
05-20-2021, 09:23 AM
a purse is where a wife carries her husbands man hood!

pietro
05-20-2021, 10:32 AM

Much to do about nothing ( j'es sayin' )

M-Tecs
05-20-2021, 12:42 PM
purse

a small bag used especially by a woman to carry everyday personal items.
synonyms:

handbag · bag · clutch bag · shoulder bag · evening bag · pochette · pocketbook · reticule · scrip
a small pouch of leather or plastic used for carrying money, typically by a woman.
synonyms:

wallet · pouch · money bag · change purse · pocketbook
the money possessed or available to a person or country.
"institutions are funded from the same general purse"
synonyms:

fund · funds · resources · money · kitty · pool · coffers · bank · treasury · exchequer · finances · wealth · reserves · cash · capital · assets · fisc
a sum of money given as a prize in a sporting contest, especially a boxing match.
synonyms:

prize · award · reward · prize money · winnings · stake(s)

Der Gebirgsjager
05-20-2021, 01:11 PM
It's almost more than I can comprehend. :groner: Transgender possible bags and purses......! And 2 pages of it.....!

DG

charlie b
05-20-2021, 03:37 PM
A purse was originally a bag used to carry - and as a result, the term is often used to refer to a monetary prize - such as the winner's prize in a horse race.

So . . . . I guess if you want to call my possibles bag a purse . . . go right ahead as I'll be the one with the money . . . not you!

And . . . . if you call a Scotsman's possibles bag a purse while he is wearing a kilt . . . . beware if he wants to give you a hug . . . he will most likely have a dirk in his hand!

Wiki is loaded with info, paraphrased here with personal opinions/observations:

The Scotsman's bag is a sporran, which seems to be the Scottish name for a purse. People (men and women) carried purses for money (mainly coins) until pants started being made with pockets, which wasn't until the later 1700's. Women also carried their stuff in pockets that were worn around the waist under their dresses [concealed carry fanny packs!]. They then started carrying an "indispensibles" bag [sounds a lot like a "possibles" bag LOL], also called a reticule from the French. Since it was carried by hand the name morphed into a "hand bag". Then, since women carried money in them they started calling them purses as well.

Men carried bags for various reasons as well. Usually shoulder bags. A purse was for money but the bag was for whatever needed to be carried, usually with a strap over the shoulder. Sashes and belts supported weapons and could be used to secure a purse. So a heavy load of ammo would be held in a shoulder bag as well, or on the belt supported by a sash, again a version of the fanny pack or belt pack. Even today the "Sam Browne" is a modern take on the sash and belt of the sword days. So, back then EDC stuff would be carried on the belt or in a bag supported by a sash. When pockets came around then the coin purse was no longer needed so men no longer carried 'purses'. Many also stopped wearing weapons every day and relied on suspenders for the pants and pockets for coins. Bags for papers and other bulkier items were shoulder bags or messenger bags. Even today you can get briefcases with shoulder straps.

Why did men not carry "handbags"? Probably cause of Freud. He assigned a 'sexual' nature to the woman's handbag. I can see how that would result in the universal disdain of the handbag by men.

Now men can still carry stuff, but, they call them packs instead of handbags or purses. Butt pack, fanny pack. Some versions are still called bags, eg, messenger bags, camera bags, etc. But, they are not normally for EDC. Again, pockets and belts take care of EDC stuff. If a man is carrying a fanny pack or shoulder bag it is 'assumed' that they are carrying something other than EDC stuff: papers, computers, lunch, etc, etc.

Looking back on this there is also the old trend in keeping one's hands free from carrying things. The hands had to be free to draw a sword and knife on a moments notice. A handbag would only slow the process and yield valuables to be snatched. So, everything a man carried needed to be secured in pockets, on the belt or in a shoulder bag.

missionary5155
05-20-2021, 04:51 PM
In our fair country the shoulder strapped firearms equipment hauling bag was called a possible(s) bag long before the word purse was used.
Purse in our country was first used to imply a ladies small handbag but never a hunters / shooter equipment bag. Try reading a dictionary from before this PC era. Valuable resource of information for anyone who wants to learn.
But there are those upstarts today........ like the OP who has nothing more to write.

dtknowles
05-20-2021, 08:28 PM

purse
[pərs]
NOUN
NORTH AMERICAN
a small bag used especially by a woman to carry everyday personal items.

I don't see a possibles bag carrying everyday personal items.

charlie b
05-20-2021, 08:55 PM
In our fair country the shoulder strapped firearms equipment hauling bag was called a possible(s) bag long before the word purse was used....

The term purse was used long before the firearm came along.

dtknowles
05-21-2021, 01:05 AM
The thing I don't like about a belt bag, or a fanny pack, is now you have something in the way of sitting. If you put it in front, your gut gets in the way, making a long sit uncomfortable. If you put it in the back, you can't really sit. You could put it on the side, but now you have to give up either a handgun or knife, or something else.

A shooting bag for me is the same as a box of ammunition. You grab it, it doesn't effect anything else, it has what you need to shoot. You can wear it on either side, but preferably on the oposite side as your pistol. You can still easily get your belt knife out from behind it though. The bag doesn't get in the way of anything, mines just big enough for a sandwich and some snacks too. When I sit it doesn't matter, or I could easily just set it aside.

To each their own. Cargo pants beat a bag. Wear a belt bag on your weak side and you can still carry a handgun on your strong hip but I prefer to carry the hand gun in a shoulder holster. About the only thing good about an over the shoulder bag is you can set it down and dig through it. I like cargo pants because you can organize things into different pockets and find them without looking.

David todd
05-21-2021, 10:16 AM
I carry a bag and Horn no matter if it is for critters that fly or run- we kid each other about our purses!
David

brewer12345
05-21-2021, 10:37 PM

Different strokes. I put the pouch on my left side, sidearm on my right if I carry one. The pouch is pretty small and doesn't get in the way.

Darth-Vaj
05-23-2021, 01:34 AM
My mind hasn’t been swayed yet. :bigsmyl2:

megasupermagnum
05-23-2021, 03:28 PM
My mind hasn’t been swayed yet. :bigsmyl2:

What more do you need? Merriam-Webster's Dictionary definition of a purse "a small bag for money".

I don't know about you, but I have never had a single cent in my shooting bag.

Darth-Vaj
05-23-2021, 08:26 PM
What more do you need? Merriam-Webster's Dictionary definition of a purse "a small bag for money".

I don't know about you, but I have never had a single cent in my shooting bag. So they both have shoulder strap, they both have compartments to hold whatever and the only difference is one specifically holds money, and the other holds shooting stuff? Hmmm...so if I put money in mines it makes it a purse? Or if I put shooting stuff into the purse it’s possible bag? Tomato tomahto... :lol::lol:

M-Tecs
05-23-2021, 08:32 PM
The really question is what difference does it make and why do you care so much???????? Purse phobia??????????????????

Ural Driver
05-23-2021, 09:34 PM
The really question is what difference does it make and why do you care so much???????? Purse phobia??????????????????

Ditto, who cares? It hauls my stuff in the woods......It appears that the OP has too much time on his(?) hands.......:?

Darth-Vaj
05-23-2021, 10:35 PM
:lol::lol::lol:

Sasquatch-1
05-24-2021, 05:31 AM
Ditto, who cares? It hauls my stuff in the woods......It appears that the OP has too much time on his(?) hands.......:?

If you look at the original post and the title, the OP got exactly what he wanted, fun banter over a trivial topic.

Bent Ramrod
05-24-2021, 10:48 AM
I think it’s a matter of the functional intent of the container’s use in the current scheme of things.

A “purse” is now what somebody (generally a woman) carries because if she stuffed all that impedimenta into her pockets, her ordinarily svelte and shapely booty in those expensive skinny jeans would look like a Glad bag full of recycled tin cans.

A “possibles bag” is carried by somebody (generally a man) whose pockets (and lower torso) already look like those of a shoplifter just coming out of a grocery store, and he doesn’t care how it looks. He needs even more container capacity for even more Stuff. As do we all.

I thought I was a cutting-edge fashion pioneer when I selected cargo pants, a bush-jacket-type shirt and a bag as my gun show-going haute couture. Then I went to the Tulsa Show and saw that a third of the guys there were dressed the same as I was. You can’t have too much carrying capacity.

The old definition of “purse;” ie, “Who steals my purse steals trash,” and so forth, went out when paper money replaced precious metal coins. Now it’s “What’s in your wallet?”

So you carry a purse when you want to look babe-a-licious, and a possibles bag when you don’t have enough carrying space in your clothes.

Newtire
05-28-2021, 07:14 AM
I want to see video of you walking up to a buckskinner or mountain man reenactor and saying that to them. ;)That would be fine as long as you are wearing matching moccasins.

Truthfully, if people are so thin skinned and full of themselves to not be able to joke about such things, I wouldn’t want to hang out with them anyway.

rmark
05-28-2021, 12:48 PM
It’s only a purse if it matches your belt and shoes.

HighUintas
05-28-2021, 03:57 PM
How has no one said it yet?? It's not a purse, it's a EUROPEAN CARRY ALL :wink: or more appropriately an AMERICAN CARRY ALL!

I don't have a front stuffer yet, but I'll be sure to have a bada$$ leather possibles bag when I do :)

0verkill
06-03-2021, 02:28 AM
If it has fringe it's definitely a purse.

Newtire
06-03-2021, 02:30 AM
Only if it has teddy bears on it!